Author Topic: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!  (Read 44525 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - Listening mode activated & 1st thoughts
« Reply #1295 on: January 04, 2024, 06:49:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is where things are going to land, comparatively speaking.

Barock Project > Cosmograf
Oof.......but fair. Barock Project was actually on my short list to send.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - I dare to compare
« Reply #1296 on: January 04, 2024, 07:09:03 PM »
Apparently Kenziner won the round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - I dare to compare
« Reply #1297 on: January 04, 2024, 07:11:06 PM »
While I like being equated to "This is a sonic buffet.  So much to listen to / for.", he could be pulling a Jamesman and conclude with, "but ultimately the other 9 meals were even tastier." 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1298 on: January 04, 2024, 07:54:57 PM »
There is a part of me that really wants to send Chad the stuff I’m sending ShadowNinja

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: January 04, 2024, 08:06:41 PM »
There is a part of me that really wants to send Chad the stuff I’m sending ShadowNinja

Depending on how I go this round, he may be getting all growls from me.  :biggrin:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1300 on: January 04, 2024, 09:03:02 PM »

All of me knows how to use the skip button, which was used a few times this round.

Depending on how I go this round, he may be getting all growls from me.  :biggrin:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: January 05, 2024, 12:10:53 PM »
Had to get this out before Stadler left for the weekend.  If he's going to ruin my week by making me listen to Radiohead, it's only fair that I ruin his weekend by giving the scores.

Stadler: Radiohead - Exit Music (For A Film)
Seriously, are you fucking shitting me!?!?! ... Is still my reaction after listening to this.  I really don't know how to take this seriously, other than you're trying too hard for the intangible points (which is backfiring on you for the most part), and completely disregarding quality.  Even if you'd had a perfect 10 on the intangibles, you'd still have a weak score here.  The acoustic intro was decent, but in only 27 seconds, this song went to shit.  The tone and content of the Yorke's singing was a bucket full of meh, and I'm being generous.  Then the band kicks in at 2:55, and ... um, no.  I might have been able to find some enjoyment (despite the depressing melancholy) if they'd just left it an acoustic piece, but the last 90 seconds are unlistenable - it literally hurts my ears.  I gave this four honest listens, which by Tim's Winger-scale, was 5 listens too many.

You've tried the game the system twice now, and failed spectacularly both times - having a lowish intangible score, and sending music that had little-to-no appeal for me.  Your best scores were the rounds you sent good music, so how's about focusing on quality first for the last few rounds, yes?

Scores
Quality: 2 (AND I STILL THINK THIS IS GENEROUS)
Unpredictability: 4.5
Anonymity: 2

---------------------------
Puppies: Cosmograf - Rattrapante
#dafuq … did I just listen to?  Risky, and in the words of Han… "I've got a bad feeling about this".  On more dedicated listens, this actually had a lot to like - the opening has a big IQ vibe.  I especially liked the vocal harmonies and musical melodies in the chorus, and I started to warm up to the first solo at 1:50; and the duel with the keyboards at 5:00 was mucho bueno, along with the subsequent instrumental after the NASA samples.  It wasn't the longest song this round, but it sure felt like it.  I suspect this is part of a concept album, and would likely work better in the broader context.  It was clearly your turn to get hooped on the intangibles because of the unfortunate letter reveals (T and R... and methinks Tim just started firing vowels into R_ttr, letting Spotify auto-suggest - either that, or he is stalking you on Spotify via the Friend Activity).   A rather enjoyable song, but one that falls just short of being able to round up to an A-ish score.

Scores
Quality: 7.5
Unpredictability: 0.5
Anonymity: 0.5

Lonestar: Spiritrial - 1999
Ballsy, given the lyrical content of that middle section.  You're not gonna give up on this stuff with me, are ya? Actually, I was wrong, this was not very "ballsy" at all - in the sense that most of it falls into the 'soft-cock' realm - especially that chorus (which actually, I liked the most about the song). There's very little 'balls' to this, and a bit too much simplicity.  This has the text-book prog-power opening that slides right into my wheelhouse - acoustic with very melodic driven and silky smooth vocals.  For the heavy verses and pre-chorus, something just isn't working - and it's not the Japanese lyrics. I don't think English lyrics would've made much of a difference - some difference but not much - I mean, the composition and structure of these sections are designed to highlight the singing, but it's hard to appreciate that when I don't know what's being sung.  The breakdown starting with the bass-slappin at 5:20 was fucking awesome - but over in 35 seconds.  Shit man, even I can stay hard for longer than that!  The outro was pretty good, but on the whole, I was not wow'd with this one. 

Scores
Quality: 7.5
Unpredictability: 5
Anonymity: 3

TAC: Paul Wardingham - Rise of the Horde

You chose wisely, as door number 1 or 2 would've cost you some points.  But, this certainly didn't have "9" written all over it.  After the slow start, and the blast beats (man I hate those), we got a Jason Richardson vibe going on.  Thankfully they dialed those blast beats back (with a brief reprise later in the song), but that first 90 seconds or so were just so-so.   The 'chorus' melody at 1:40… now that was the goods.  Really nice guitar tone throughout this entire track, and he does a great job of letting the rest of the instrumentation stay out of the way of his riffing and shredding.  Luckily, those blast beats don't stick around for too long at any one-time - even still, I could do without them... They just make those parts too "thrashy" for my liking.  Overall, very impressive for one person to perform everything about this song.

Scores
Quality: 8
Unpredictability: 3
Anonymity: 5

Indiscipline: Embrace of Souls - The Number of Destiny
Cheesy as fuck- like a deep dish slice of 'za with 6 kinds of cheese on it.  This is Italian prog/power done right (though, it's VERY light on the prog  :D.  Yet, those background lyrics are so cringey ("You are heeeeeeeere") :lolpalm:… they ALMOST trend in to the realm of "so bad they're good".  Not really, that line in particular could spoil milk, but fortunately it's only a few bars at a time.  The actual writing of the lyrics in the chorus is also kinda laughable - but at least they're in English :biggrin:!  The guitar/keys solo duelling is mag-fucking-nificent - everything I want and love in power metal, with the rhythm section not being too bland or monotonous in support of the solos; frankly, in support of the entire song... regularly switching up the deployment of the double-bass kicks helps a lot.  If it was constantly 'galloping', or the Dragonforce-esque speed double-bass, I'm not sure I'd be too keen with that.  You too were screwed with the intangibles.  This one was an A-, but you can blame the lyrics and backing vocals for rounding the score down to an 8.

Scores
Quality: 8
Unpredictability: 1.5
Anonymity: 1

Wolfking: Takayoshi Ohmura - Face the Sky
Challenging Josh to see who can find the best Melodic Power metal eh?  Musically, this started off hot; not sure on the lead vocal lines though (initially, I'm enjoying the backing vox more).  I worried I steered you wrong when I told you I was a big Edman fan - I really am!  And it took a couple of spins, but I really warmed up to the chorus with each and every listen; and a few more spins later, the lead vocal lines really settled in.  The instrumental breakdown was dynamite, and the outro was very reminiscent of Magnus level melodic metal writing.  And after a few more listens, I'm finding more to like in this one vs Embrace of Souls … but just by a sliver.  It too gets an A-, but is just good enough to round up.

Scores
Quality: 8.5
Unpredictability: 4
Anonymity: 2.5

Evermind:Kenziner - Dimensions
Ahh… so this is where JP found his Budokan tone for Hollow Years.  Shit, 1/2 the song titles on this album steal from DT! (Live Forever, Trial of Tears, Eternity).  Maybe DT stole "The Razor's Edge" from them?).  I digress.  After the Hollow Years homage, we get the purpose of the song …. shreddery.  Glorious shreddery - like Cliffs of Dover level of glory.  The unisons with the keyboard are very nicely done as well. Lots of great playing, great riffing, and great arpeggios.  My only beef is that it was a rather abrupt slow down out of nowhere and then fade out that just left me wanting more.

Scores
Quality: 8.5
Unpredictability: 2
Anonymity: 4.5

Litho: Karnataka - The Storm

Flutes, mother fuckers!  It was a risky start, but it ended up paying off. She's got a gorgeous voice, and hey!  You're learning… that voice matches the overall feel of the song :biggrin:  And once the solo hits, man alive that was sexy.  First half was a nice slow build; 2nd half said "hold my beer".  Jesus H that was sweet - very Gilmour-esque.  I'm very curious to know what 2 minutes was cut from this version - whether it trimmed some fat, or whether the live element just enhanced the hell out of this tune.

Scores
Quality: 9
Unpredictability: 3.5
Anonymity: 1.5

King: Earthside - The Lesser Evil

This is a sonic buffet.  So much to listen to / for.  Let's detail our adventure …  smooth and soulful vocals; atmospheric; tickling keyboard runs; horns; djent-y guitar riffs; pounding percussion; non-growlie screams; funk and soul splashed throughout; proggy-as-shit with all those time changes; keyboard solo extraordinaire (but brief); slow and mellow acoustic passage; and then a smorgasbord of it all together for the final 2.5 minutes.  How do you classify this??  Motown-funk-progressive-metal ... AS FUCK, is as good as I can do.

Scores
Unpredictability: 1
Anonymity: 3.5

Dr. DTVT: Barock Project - The Longest Sigh
While Cheffy is looking for the prog-metal sweet spot; and Litho searches for the melodic metal sweet spot, you have absolutely found that neo-prog-rock sweet spot.  I've tried a couple of the songs that King has pimped from these guys in roulette's, and while I enjoyed them all, nothing had grabbed me as much as this tune.  These guys just scream RoSFest - absolutely the poster child for the music you'd expect there - I figured that was going to be a softball impression for you to pick.  Other than the stomping nature of rhythm section at the start of the instrumental, this was a beauty from start-to-finish. But even in that section, the guitar and keyboard solos compensate for the dreary rhythm.  Overall, it's like Moon Safari meets Mystery.  I debated a perfect score, but

Scores
Quality: 9.5
Unpredictability: 2.5
Anonymity: 4

Total Round 5:
Dr. DTVT - Barock Project  / The Longest Sigh: 2.5 + 4 + 9.5 = 16
TAC - Paul Wardingham  / Rise of the Horde: 3 + 5 + 8 = 16
lonestar - Spiritrial  / 1999: 5 + 3 + 7.5 = 15.5
Evermind - Kenziner / Dimensions: 2 + 4.5 + 8.5 = 15
wolfking - Takayoshi Ohmura  / Face the Sky: 4 + 2.5 + 8.5 = 15
LithoJazzoSphere - Karnataka  / The Storm: 3.5 + 1.5 + 8.5 = 14
Kingshmegland - Earthside / The Lesser Evil: 1 + 3.5 + 9 = 13.5
Indiscipline - Embrace of Souls  / The Number of Destiny: 1.5 + 1 + 8 = 10.5
Puppies - Cosmograf  / Rattrapante: 0.5 + 0.5 + 7.5 = 8.5
Stadler - Radiohead / Exit Music (For A Film): 4.5 + 2 + 2 = 8.5

Overall Standings:
Litho - 73.5
TAC - 71.5
Wolfking - 71.5
Evermind - 71
lonestar - 69.5
Dr. DTVT - 67.5
Indiscipline - 63
Puppies - 62
King - 61.5
Stadler - 53.5

Quality through 5 Rounds:
lonestar - 42
Dr. DTVT - 41
Litho - 41
King - 40.5
Wolfking - 40
Indiscipline - 39.5
Evermind - 39
Puppies - 38.5
TAC - 36.5
Stadler - 31.5
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 04:09:36 PM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - step right up for your score
« Reply #1302 on: January 05, 2024, 12:14:10 PM »
For a quirk this round, I'd like you to include your own version of my 1st impression to your song.

So, for the two eager-beavers that have already submitted, send me a note writing your version of what my 1st impression will be

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1303 on: January 05, 2024, 12:15:04 PM »
OK.. Just gotta remember what I sent lol

Nevermind, I got it. 9 in quality, 3 in intangibles

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:45 PM »
Yeah, thought you'd like the shred component. Very fun instrumental, but the rest of the album is inconsistent and the vocals are debatable (but I kinda like it).

It's Christmas Eve here tomorrow (actual Christmas is January 7th) so I'll do my best to send something in the meanwhile but you may have to wait until Monday. I also may have to wait until Stadler is in so I'm finally here for the hangman. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: January 05, 2024, 12:30:20 PM »
Yeah, thought you'd like the shred component. Very fun instrumental, but the rest of the album is inconsistent and the vocals are debatable (but I kinda like it).

It's Christmas Eve here tomorrow (actual Christmas is January 7th) so I'll do my best to send something in the meanwhile but you may have to wait until Monday. I also may have to wait until Stadler is in so I'm finally here for the hangman. :lol
be

Just like that Seinfeld episode ...

Jesus:  Today's not my birthday
Russia:  Well I beg to differ!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: January 05, 2024, 12:34:11 PM »
:lol

I think that's just Catholic/Orthodox Christmas differences? I know it's Dec 25th for most of you guys.

It's not like I believe in that anyway—and I don't want to take it to P/R—but the tradition here is to be with your family/loved ones on Christmas so that's the plan.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: January 05, 2024, 12:37:12 PM »
:lol

I think that's just Catholic/Orthodox Christmas differences? I know it's Dec 25th for most of you guys.

It's not like I believe in that anyway—and I don't want to take it to P/R—but the tradition here is to be with your family/loved ones on Christmas so that's the plan.

It's all good.  That's largely what Christmas means for most of the West too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1308 on: January 05, 2024, 12:39:26 PM »
Boy, I'd be kicking ass if it was only quality.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1309 on: January 05, 2024, 12:42:13 PM »

be

Just like that Seinfeld episode ...

Jesus:  Today's not my birthday
Russia:  Well I beg to differ!

Jesus better stay away from 6th floor windows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1310 on: January 05, 2024, 12:58:30 PM »
Oof, got the same overall score as Stadler and he got a 2 for quality.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: January 05, 2024, 01:11:14 PM »

You got screwed for sure and it wasn't even my fault :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: January 05, 2024, 01:23:48 PM »

I'd be pissed at Tim too!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1313 on: January 05, 2024, 01:28:05 PM »

I do indeed blame him  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: January 05, 2024, 01:34:42 PM »

I do indeed blame him  :biggrin:

Imagine how the shame he feels about himself being second last in quality, but in 2nd place overall.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1315 on: January 05, 2024, 02:15:37 PM »
Let me get off the bus and I'll send.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: January 05, 2024, 02:20:35 PM »
Not bad.  I was getting worried there for a bit.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1317 on: January 05, 2024, 02:28:39 PM »
Definitely need to sick Ruslan on Tim

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1318 on: January 05, 2024, 02:31:57 PM »
Had to get this out before Stadler left for the weekend.  If he's going to ruin my week by making me listen to Radiohead, it's only fair that I ruin his weekend by giving the scores.

Seriously, are you fucking shitting me!?!?! ... Is still my reaction after listening to this.  I really don't know how to take this seriously, other than you're trying too hard for the intangible points (which is backfiring on you for the most part), and completely disregarding quality.  Even if you'd had a perfect 10 on the intangibles, you'd still have a weak score here.  The acoustic intro was decent, but in only 27 seconds, this song went to shit.  The tone and content of the Yorke's singing was a bucket full of meh, and I'm being generous.  Then the band kicks in at 2:55, and ... um, no.  I might have been able to find some enjoyment (despite the depressing melancholy) if they'd just left it an acoustic piece, but the last 90 seconds are unlistenable - it literally hurts my ears.  I gave this four honest listens, which by Tim's Winger-scale, was 5 listens too many.

You've tried the game the system twice now, and failed spectacularly both times - having a lowish intangible score, and sending music that had little-to-no appeal for me.  Your best scores were the rounds you sent good music, so how's about focusing on quality first for the last few rounds, yes?

Scores

I've got no argument on the quality; Radiohead blows.  We all know that.  You make it sound like it's so easy to just abandon the rest and send "quality".  I'm winging it here even in the good rounds!!!!   

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: January 05, 2024, 02:33:27 PM »
Sent for round 6
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: January 05, 2024, 03:11:19 PM »

Scores

I've got no argument on the quality; Radiohead blows.  We all know that.  You make it sound like it's so easy to just abandon the rest and send "quality".  I'm winging it here even in the good rounds!!!!

You can at least TRY to send something that we both like!!  :D :P

Not bad.  I was getting worried there for a bit.

I was too... after the first listen, I was like "I swear to god I thought I liked Edman's voice!!"  :lol  Still very much looking forward to checking out that album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - step right up for your score
« Reply #1321 on: January 05, 2024, 03:54:00 PM »
Litho: Karnataka - The Storm

Flutes, mother fuckers!  It was a risky start, but it ended up paying off. She's got a gorgeous voice, and hey!  You're learning… that voice matches the overall feel of the song :biggrin:  And once the solo hits, man alive that was sexy.  First half was a nice slow build; 2nd half said "hold my beer".  Jesus H that was sweet - very Gilmour-esque.  I'm very curious to know what 2 minutes was cut from this version - whether it trimmed some fat, or whether the live element just enhanced the hell out of this tune.

Being the last track, the studio version ends with a couple minutes of mostly just ocean noises to cap off the album and tie into the theme, nothing from the song itself is cut.  I actually like Rachel's vocals slightly more on the studio version, and the bass is a bit more prominent, but the overall mix is slightly dry, which was kind of a trend for recordings at the time I think.  The live version has a bit more ambiance, and more energy and power in the "storm" section for the guitar solo, which gives it a better contrast with the rest of the song. 

But as for this...

Scores
Unpredictability: 3.5
Anonymity: 1.5

LithoJazzoSphere - Karnataka  / The Storm: 3.5 + 1.5 + 8.5 = 13.5
Litho - 40.5

Ok, we know Tim has no scruples, but stealing 0.5 points from me between the writeup and the final tally?  Now that's low.  Should be a penalty for that.   :D   Should be 14.0 and 41.0. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: January 05, 2024, 04:06:06 PM »
Thanks for catching that.  Yours and Kade's were the last two I was deciding between scores.  I obviously forgot to adjust that 8.5 to a 9.  I'll modify the post, and the standings in Post #2 as well.  Your total score is also up to 73.5 now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: January 05, 2024, 04:14:16 PM »
Litho, time to DDT Tim to the mat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1324 on: January 05, 2024, 04:15:25 PM »
What's a DDT?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: January 05, 2024, 04:20:20 PM »
The fuq?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: January 05, 2024, 04:21:41 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: January 05, 2024, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1328 on: January 05, 2024, 04:25:40 PM »
Tim, you shame us all. 

https://youtu.be/IacYm3DcIXU?si=gHwkfB69gkaSBJDd

Yeah, I stopped watching wrestling when I was 12. ;D

How do those guys not break their necks?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 5 - step right up for your score
« Reply #1329 on: January 05, 2024, 04:28:08 PM »
It's a pesticide that headlocks bugs and slams them to the ground.