Author Topic: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!  (Read 36941 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yay!  I'm at least 1/6 on matching song with sender
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So close!

I was Nospun. Wouldn't have sent you The Contortionist or NIN. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I thought you were Nospun, and thought that would be one of the three (quite liked it myself, more than others I've heard from them, and was worried it would get picked over my own choice).  Clearly I'm not 100% on Chad's wavelength and have work to do. 

Congrats sorry ariich!  :p

I'm curious how TAC ranked the songs too (though if I was sending to him I'd have picked a different track). 

I'm not doing this out of a desire to discover new bands or music.  I can do that well enough on my own - in fact, too much

I've been thinking about this bit on and off, and to me while hopefully most people here are fully capable of discovering music on our own (I'm always perplexed when I see posts online from people who say they have no idea how to find new music), we also tend to have blind spots and are prone to falling into patterns and ruts.  Ideally other people know fresher and different slants on styles we already know.  This certainly happened over and over again in my own roulette, people found stuff for me that I doubt I'd have discovered on my own, or at least it would have taken much longer. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So close!

Too funny... I was thinking that this was tantamount to my elimination from one of your roulette's when I sent Darwin's Radio (and Mystery for that matter) - playing it a little too safe.  That's kinda how I heard things with Nospun ... good tune that is/should be right in my wheelhouse, but something just didn't quite fully click after a handful of listens.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'm not doing this out of a desire to discover new bands or music.  I can do that well enough on my own - in fact, too much

I've been thinking about this bit on and off, and to me while hopefully most people here are fully capable of discovering music on our own (I'm always perplexed when I see posts online from people who say they have no idea how to find new music), we also tend to have blind spots and are prone to falling into patterns and ruts.  Ideally other people know fresher and different slants on styles we already know.  This certainly happened over and over again in my own roulette, people found stuff for me that I doubt I'd have discovered on my own, or at least it would have taken much longer. 
100%.  I love being challenged a bit in my roulettes. Doesn't always pay off for the players of course, but it can do. I've finished working my way through the artists from my first three rounds (I'll write up some thoughts on the round 3 ones hopefully this weekend) and Crow smashed all three rounds with artists I'd be unlikely to have discovered on my own or even from any other roulette players. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So close!

Too funny... I was thinking that this was tantamount to my elimination from one of your roulette's when I sent Darwin's Radio (and Mystery for that matter) - playing it a little too safe.  That's kinda how I heard things with Nospun ... good tune that is/should be right in my wheelhouse, but something just didn't quite fully click after a handful of listens.
Yeah Darwin's Radio for sure. Mystery was an interesting one - I think it just wasn't a great song for introducing the band, because I took a punt on the album still and loved it (and their latest as well).

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I hear ya... and don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to discover new music.  But, sometimes too much of a good thing is still too much.  Part of the intent of this roulette is to give people the option to not immediately disqualify bands (or genres for that matter) that I may have some familiarity with, or that may not be in my 'wheelhouse'.  Case in point, Church of the Cosmic Skull.  I don't know what the rest of their music is like, but my gut says that this isn't going to be the kind of band I dive in to fully and completely.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Crow smashed all three rounds with artists I'd be unlikely to have discovered on my own or even from any other roulette players. :lol

I'm actually a bit concerned about Crow, no posts in almost a month now. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So close!

Yeah Darwin's Radio for sure. Mystery was an interesting one - I think it just wasn't a great song for introducing the band, because I took a punt on the album still and loved it (and their latest as well).

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's invitational Roulette of Anonymity and Unpredictability
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2023, 08:36:54 AM »
Well, I was counting on your subsequent post ....

Currently looking through your Last.fm to see if I even have bands to send lol I might through my hat in for the qualifier round

And now with Tim's confirmation ... enjoy your popcorn.   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 08:54:56 AM by jingle.boy »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus Christ, Tim.  Are you going to send, or not!?!?  The Earth isn't turning any slower.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just sent it to you. I checked this morning. You did say results last night!!!!

I’m at work btw.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just sent it to you. I checked this morning. You did say results last night!!!!

I’m at work btw.

Yeah... I had good intentions of doing it last night, then crashed before I got the last two writeups done - and needed one more listen thru to decide between Nospun and Church of the Cosmic Skull.

I'm not at work, btw - but do have outdoor chores to do when it's 1 freakin degree (Celsius)!

P.S.  no submission - just the confirmation of who sent what in the Qualifiers.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus Christ, Tim.  Are you going to send, or not!?!?  The Earth isn't turning any slower.

:rollin

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Sent. Or maybe wasn't me. And it was someone else's song, or was it?

There is no spoon.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent. Or maybe wasn't me. And it was someone else's song, or was it?

There is no spoon.

Only a spork.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm curious how TAC ranked the songs too (though if I was sending to him I'd have picked a different track)

I’d go.

Nospun
Ebony Ark
Everon
Cosmic Skull
Contortionist
NIN

And you all would’ve known on Wednesday!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Are we sending already? Ok. I’ll send when I get home from work. After my nap of course.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Are we sending already? Ok. I’ll send when I get home from work. After my nap of course.

We're on the clock?  Deadline when?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I hope you can send before Monday.  After all, you've had your invitation for over a week - well, almost a month, really.  :biggrin:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Woohoo! Now I get to annoy Chad by sending more stuff like The Mars Volta and Moonsorrow! :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Woohoo! Now I get to annoy Chad by sending more stuff like The Mars Volta and Moonsorrow! :neverusethis:

Ariich, be ready to step in as 1st alternate. :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

I kid I kid. I actually have stuff lined up that I'm 90% sure you'll like. Besides if I sent Moonsorrow everyone would know it was me immediately.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
You'd probably get a full 5 points for the song title being guessed last though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
You'd probably get a full 5 points for the song title being guessed last though.

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Well, I hope you can send before Monday.  After all, you've had your invitation for over a week - well, almost a month, really.  :biggrin:

Do my best.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Do my best.

Step up, son. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Of course!

Me being one of the few other DTFers who also likes TMV and Moonsorrow. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ariich, I can't believe Chad didn't like that song. I had it top rated on the playlist.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll send something tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Ariich, I can't believe Chad didn't like that song. I had it top rated on the playlist.
Maybe subconsciously biased by thinking it was Puppies and being afraid of receiving a load of black metal. :neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Then you didn't read the writeup.  I liked it plenty, and was liking it more with each listen.