Author Topic: Sony Pictures' Madame Web - Film is out now!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline The Letter M

Sony Pictures' Madame Web - Film is out now!
« on: November 15, 2023, 04:35:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/s_76M4c4LTo?si=8eWCDO2Ledwi3S4c

This might be better than Kraven or Venom 3, but who knows... no official release date given.

Like Sony's other recent live-action Marvel films, this is supposedly part of their Sony Spider-Man Universe (or SSU). Not sure if it's part of the Morbius universe, or the Venom universe, or if they're retconning all of those with Kraven as well... it's kind of a mess honestly. Part of me still wishes Sony could give all control back to Marvel Studios/Disney just to unify their films and give Sony a boost, but with the way the MCU has been going, that might not be a good thing for Sony at this point.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:21:28 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Sony Pictures' Madame Web - First trailer out now!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »
I literally just watched this like 10 minutes ago.  Seems like it might be interesting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 08:41:36 AM »
This looks like total shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:18:12 AM »
What do you really think, Hef?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 11:11:43 AM »
This looks like total shit.

Subtlety isn't in Hef's toolbox. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 12:29:51 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
 :lol

It's one of those movies I'll watch when it hits cable. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »

Have fun.

I haven't watched either of the Venom movies or Morbius, and I'm not watching this trash either.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 01:25:47 PM »

Have fun.

I haven't watched either of the Venom movies or Morbius, and I'm not watching this trash either.
While not great, I didn't mind the first Venom. The second one, while it's shorter, it's harder to get through even though it does have some good acting from Woody Harrelson.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 01:33:04 PM »

Have fun.

They were just mindless fun, honestly.  Not bad, not great. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 05:19:51 PM »

Have fun.

They were just mindless fun, honestly.  Not bad, not great.

Agreed, though I'd say they would rank like this for me...

Venom
Venom 2
Morbius

It'll be interesting to see how Kraven (which should've been out by now if not for the SAG-AFTRA Strike) and Madame Web shape up compared to these three. Thankfully it seems Sony's El Muerto has been canned after Bad Bunny pulled out of being the lead actor. Outside of the animated Spider-Man films and the Tom Holland films, it feels like Sony isn't learning anything from their successes. They feel like they're beginning to be the Fox X-Men franchise in its latter years, outside of a few good films, everything after Days Of Future Past was questionable at best, horrible at worst, and it seems like Sony is heading in that direction if they try to milk barrel-bottom characters like El Mureto (who, IIRC, was in ONE COMIC issue of Spider-Man).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 10:57:40 AM »
It looks as bad as Morbius but I still feel like this probably has more enjoyment in it than something like The Marvels. (so bad its funny vs C tier MCU)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 08:00:24 AM »
It looks as bad as Morbius but I still feel like this probably has more enjoyment in it than something like The Marvels. (so bad its funny vs C tier MCU)
I don't understand, but that's OK.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 08:58:41 AM »
I don't understand, but that's OK.

Bad movies always have more entertainment value than middle of the road mediocre movies. Just the trailer alone with some of the voice over had me cackling.  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 09:21:28 AM »
“He was in the amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders right before she died.”

Is in the same league as

“Somehow Palpatine returned.”

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 09:24:56 AM »
Bad movies always have more entertainment value than middle of the road mediocre movies.
That's what I don't understand.  For me, bad movies have no value whatsoever, given that I don't have enough time to watch all of the GOOD movies I want to.

But I know there are plenty of people that think that.  I don't have to understand it for you to enjoy it.  Carry on!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2023, 01:13:21 PM »
Bad movies always have more entertainment value than middle of the road mediocre movies.
That's what I don't understand.  For me, bad movies have no value whatsoever, given that I don't have enough time to watch all of the GOOD movies I want to.

But I know there are plenty of people that think that.  I don't have to understand it for you to enjoy it.  Carry on!

Yeah that's fair. I don't necessarily seek out bad movies just to watch them and mock them, but they can be interesting. Madame Web is giving off Morbius vibes at least in the trailer and with both cases it's funny to think hundreds of millions have been spent on these projects and so many of the basics are wrong. Usually with something like the MCU, when you get a stinker you get a movie that at least has the fundamentals right, the 'base' for a movie to be built upon, but it's just a bit flat and ends up mediocre. When you have something like Morbius, or possibly Madame Web where the main actress is reading voice over narration with the level of enthusiasm you would have after taking a crap for 30 minutes, it's hard to wrap your brain around someone giving this the thumbs up. "Yeah this is good enough to be released" :P

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2024, 11:02:29 PM »
The reviews for this.......ouch.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 08:19:28 AM »
Not surprised.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 08:53:18 AM »
I plan on seeing it later today after work. Thank goodness for Regal Unlimited because I'm not sure I'd pay full price for this film. Either way, I've remained mostly spoiler free, other than seeing a headline about how the post-credits scene affects the film.

-Marc.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2024, 09:00:00 AM »
I plan on seeing it later today after work. Thank goodness for Regal Unlimited because I'm not sure I'd pay full price for this film. Either way, I've remained mostly spoiler free, other than seeing a headline about how the post-credits scene affects the film.

-Marc.

I heard there were no mid or post credits scenes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2024, 09:06:50 AM »
I wouldn't pay any amount to see this film.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2024, 09:09:50 AM »

-Marc.

I heard there were no mid or post credits scenes.

Interesting. I haven't read or watched any reviews yet, so I can't confirm nor deny that, but I'll let you guys know tonight!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Sony Pictures' Madame Web - Film is it now!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2024, 06:19:13 PM »
Madame Web was certainly one of the comic book films of the 2020s..... despite feeling like a product of 2000s writing and acting. I give all Marvel Movies a chance but the non-Spider-Man films Sony has done are diminishing as they go on.

This wasn't as BAD as Morbius but it was certainly close to it at times. Line delivery was bad and baffling at worst and unintentionally hilarious at best. And the trailers make promises that the film doesn't really follow-up on.

Unless you're a die-hard or curious CBM fan, wait til you can stream this one. Otherwise, you're not missing much, unless Sony decides to do something with the characters in a future film (which seems unlikely, especially since the film had no mid- or post-credits scenes).

-Marc.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2024, 06:30:11 PM »
Would it be too "woke" for someone who usually complains about "wokeness" in movies? Don’t worry, I’m not dumb enough to care about so-called "wokeness" in movies, I’m asking for a dumb friend.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:11:53 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 07:24:45 PM »
Would it be too "woke" for someone who usually complains about "wokeness" in movies? Don’t worry, I’m not dumb enough to care about so-called "wokeness" in movies, I’m asking for a dumb friend.

I'm not sure? I don't typically surround myself with folks like that, and I tend to avoid them online, so I can't be too sure. Sure it's got four lady leads but it's not really in-your-face with it. If your friend just dislikes women, then the film probably won't be for them. It's just not a great film period TBH, and only a couple notches better than Morbius. If you want a laughingly baffling film to have fun at, maybe this will fill that role, but don't expect a great comic book film. This makes Venom 2 look like a decent, above-average MCU film in comparison.

-Marc.

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Sony Pictures' Madame Web - Film is out now!
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2024, 07:39:33 PM »
Thanks. Probably not for him. But I will probably watch it when it hits streaming because I like Sydney Sweeney and Isabela Merced.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Sony Pictures' Madame Web - Film is out now!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2024, 08:06:29 PM »
Thanks. Probably not for him. But I will probably watch it when it hits streaming because I like Sydney Sweeney and Isabela Merced.

Sydney Sweeney was probably my favorite part of this, as well as the other two with her.

-Marc.