Author Topic: These Walls Appreciation Thread  (Read 1811 times)

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
These Walls Appreciation Thread
« on: November 10, 2023, 06:15:18 PM »
So I was reading the Index Thread and realized that These Walls didn't have his own thread. WTF?

This song is the reason I love Octavarium so much (along with the title track). Certainly a top 10 song for me.

I think JR shines here, his work is subtle but powerful.

What do you think?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: These Walls Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 06:16:16 PM »
One of the saving graces of this album.  Really good song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 06:31:21 PM »
Today I listened to Octavarium, after a few years. TW isn't bad and has interesting moments. But isn't it too long? Not that this is anything unusual for that era of the band.

Other songs on that album suffer the same. The Root of All Evil might be a better song if it was three minutes shorter. Eight minutes is a long time for a song with so little variation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 06:42:17 PM »
Today I listened to Octavarium, after a few years. TW isn't bad and has interesting moments. But isn't it too long? Not that this is anything unusual for that era of the band.

Other songs on that album suffer the same. The Root of All Evil might be a better song if it was three minutes shorter. Eight minutes is a long time for a song with so little variation.
I don't know.  This is not one of the albums I think of when I think of DT bloat.  If anything, most of the songs on this album are pretty short.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:55:31 PM »

I don't know.  This is not one of the albums I think of when I think of DT bloat.  If anything, most of the songs on this album are pretty short.

To be honest, neither did I....until today lol.
I always thought of the TOT or BCSL that way.

But today I caught myself thinking that they exaggerated some songs (mainly TRoAE). Maybe I've gotten used to the fact that the band has managed to be more direct on the last few albums or has managed to create 7 or 8 minute songs with much more variation and richness (like Pale Blue Dot or Fall Into the Light).

Offline JLa

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 04:05:33 AM »
One of my (many) favourite songs from DT. I especially like MP's contribution; very tasteful drumming. Some might find it busy. I love it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 04:12:47 AM »
Such an underrated cut.  Might be the best song outside the title track.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 04:24:00 AM »
This song is the reason I love Octavarium so much (along with the title track). Certainly a top 10 song for me.

What do you think?

Yes and YES! One of my favorites.

💯

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 05:47:40 AM »
Amazing song. No noodling around, no musical wankery, just a damn good tasteful song where James shines. One of my favorites off the album and I truly hope they'll play it live next tour!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2023, 05:54:10 AM »
Love These Walls. I built a baritone guitar just I could play it.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2023, 06:01:51 AM »
Very tasteful song. I think James can probably handle it live well.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2023, 06:22:12 AM »
Title track and fantastic TALW aside, These Walls is the only Octavarium song I like to listen to.

I believe it perfectly accomplishes the mission You Not Me failed almost a decade before.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2023, 06:29:50 AM »

It's a mixed bag. Tracks 2-4 are pretty to the point and work perfectly fine, which makes them stand out in this era of increasingly long DT songs, but the rest is a different story. TRoAE suffers from the same problem as the previous entries in the 12 Steps suite - the moment it segues into the next "step", it loses the focus and coherence it had up to that point. Tracks 5-7 all have the usual extended instrumental break with plenty of solos and unison runs that could've been trimmed if a more concise song had been the goal. And as for the title track, well - I know it's a fan favorite, but to me, most of the first half has always felt like bloat.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 07:16:17 AM »
top 10 DT for me

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 07:27:33 AM »
And as for the title track, well - I know it's a fan favorite, but to me, most of the first half has always felt like bloat.

That's quite a controversial take :lol but I have to say I kind of agree. I mean, it's "fine" but a bit long and not too interesting overall. The second half is :metal :metal :metal of course.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2023, 08:15:17 AM »
Love the FII vibe and the guitar  solo is one of my favorite JP solos. Love These Walls!

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2023, 09:18:04 AM »
...the guitar  solo is one of my favorite JP solos...

Yeah, it's also one of my favorites!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2023, 11:20:35 AM »
LOVE These Walls! One of my favorites from Octavarium. The beginning has a bit of an alt-metal vibe, but spiced up with DT's flair...the soft verses are wonderful, with some signature MP work. JP's lead work sounds very Rothery-like (which is nice and perfect for the song). And the song's ending is classic Dream Theater, with the chunky riff accented by Jordan's keys.

Great tune all around.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2023, 05:19:12 PM »

What do you think?

💯

I'm here, too.  I think it's an excellent song on an excellent album (one of my favorites). I literally was just singing it in the shower about 30 minutes ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2023, 06:33:06 PM »

What do you think?

💯

I'm here, too.  I think it's an excellent song on an excellent album (one of my favorites). I literally was just singing it in the shower about 30 minutes ago.

The song is These Walls, not These Balls.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2023, 06:58:48 PM »
Fantastic song, 4th best on the album (after 8VM, PA, and NE).

Offline HOF

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2023, 08:58:14 PM »
I prefer You Not Me.

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2023, 08:18:58 AM »
The song is These Walls, not These Balls.

:lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2023, 08:23:27 AM »

Having “Never Enough” that high is an interesting take. I don’t agree but good on you for being unique. I love it! 
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »

Having “Never Enough” that high is an interesting take. I don’t agree but good on you for being unique. I love it! 

The instrumental section gives it a big bump, but the whole vibe is great in that song. I do think it's underrated.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2023, 12:53:25 PM »
James is amazing on Never Enough!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2023, 06:33:10 PM »
I consider These Walls the best song on Octavarium. It's short, concise and has some of their best songwriting. I am amazed that this wasn't considered as a single.

I am a bit sad that they never played this with Mangini as I think it would've been amazing to hear his cymbal work and interpretation to the drumming.

I am totally anticipating this song in their set for their next tour. It's a shame they never had an official live version of this song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »
I don’t want to put it down in the appreciation thread, but I’m surprised at the love for this track compared to some of the other more commercial rock songs the band have done. To me it sounded very much like an attempt at sort of a mainstream angsty rock song, almost Lincoln Park type of vibe, but with a bland solo in the middle. Like, I think it’s ok but it’s kind of middle of the road as a rock song goes, and it was one of the parts of 8V that made me wonder “do I like this album, or am I just listening to it because it’s DT?”

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 06:40:00 PM »
I consider These Walls the best song on Octavarium. It's short, concise and has some of their best songwriting. I am amazed that this wasn't considered as a single.

I am a bit sad that they never played this with Mangini as I think it would've been amazing to hear his cymbal work and interpretation to the drumming.

I am totally anticipating this song in their set for their next tour. It's a shame they never had an official live version of this song.

It's on Luna Park :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2023, 06:41:45 PM »

Right. They played it on the Dramatic Turn Of Events tour. I was glad they did, as that was the only time I've ever seen it. They didn't play it here on the Gigantour '05 or 8V tour '06.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »

I guess that shows how much I  listen to that .  :lol

Edit: I watched it and OmG  and that might be my definitive version of this song. I love Manginis double drums and Labries vocals.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 06:51:02 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2023, 11:02:37 PM »
James is amazing on Never Enough!

Unusually for DT fandom, I rate Never Enough highly. It contains my favourite DT unison line, which I love primarily because it reminds me of the halcyon days of 8-bit gaming music.

These Walls is always far better than I remember. I love the drumming and percussion work.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2023, 11:27:17 PM »
Edit: I watched it and OmG  and that might be my definitive version of this song. I love Manginis double drums and Labries vocals.

I love that version of the song, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2023, 07:22:49 AM »
I don’t want to put it down in the appreciation thread, but I’m surprised at the love for this track compared to some of the other more commercial rock songs the band have done. To me it sounded very much like an attempt at sort of a mainstream angsty rock song, almost Lincoln Park type of vibe, but with a bland solo in the middle. Like, I think it’s ok but it’s kind of middle of the road as a rock song goes, and it was one of the parts of 8V that made me wonder “do I like this album, or am I just listening to it because it’s DT?”
I love seeing your posts, because they are often completely opposite of everyone else's.

Offline HOF

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2023, 07:44:21 AM »
Listening to this again now. There are some cool parts to it, but the lyrics are so generic and the vocal melody is so deliberate. And then you get to the solo and it’s just Send Her My Love (a great song, but still).

Thankfully, the superior I Walk Beside You follows.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:51:31 AM by HOF »