Author Topic: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Vikingligr veldi  (Read 4937 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Nema (Promo)
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »
Impressive you can remember that Tim, I tried really hard to remove the only memory I have of seeing (some) of Guns N Roses.

They were great back in the day.

To be fair, I bet they were. The year I caught part of their set was Download Festival 2006. I'd actually tried to catch Prodigy playing in the tent (3rd stage) but it reached capacity and they stopped letting people in.

I caught a bit of GNR with friends, but Axl through a hissy fit because you could hear the Prodigy set/crowd over the mainstage. He walked off and refused to come back on until Prodigy finished their set :lol

The first time I saw them was in a small club on 10/26/87. The did a short East Coast club tour. I have some amazing pics from that show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2023, 02:21:46 PM »
I might be able to push it to 5-5:30pm EST. If that helps anyone. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »

I don't know how long that is from now, but I'm gonna jump into the Deepcut.fm session in 5 :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2023, 02:29:10 PM »

I don't know how long that is from now, but I'm gonna jump into the Deepcut.fm session in 5 :metal
Add 5 hours for BST
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2023, 03:22:02 PM »
Nema will be played in Deepcut.fm shortly  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2023, 05:25:30 PM »
That's really cool TAC that you remember dates so clearly.  I generally remember the time of year and usually the month, but not the specific day.  I've seen Rush and DT on July 4th before so I suppose I remember that date. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2023, 05:54:19 PM »
That's really cool TAC that you remember dates so clearly.  I generally remember the time of year and usually the month, but not the specific day.  I've seen Rush and DT on July 4th before so I suppose I remember that date. :)

Pretty sure I've never seen a show on July 4th. Saw the Clash Of the Titans on July 6th...1991.

Surely you know the dates of your first Katatonia concerts, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2023, 06:10:06 PM »

Pretty sure I've never seen a show on July 4th. Saw the Clash Of the Titans on July 6th...1991.

Not without looking it up.  They weren't my favorite band yet, but even if they were, I've never really made it a point to think about the date.  Maybe if I just saw 1 show but I usually see several on a tour.

I've seen Rush 3 times on the 4th.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2023, 06:13:51 PM »

Not without looking it up.  They weren't my favorite band yet, but even if they were, I've never really made it a point to think about the date.  Maybe if I just saw 1 show but I usually see several on a tour.

I've seen Rush 3 times on the 4th.

My first Rush show was 12-5-85, without looking it up. Saw Kiss three weeks later on the 22nd. They wanted to schedule my wisdom teeth to come out like the day before, and I was like fuck that, I'm going to see Kiss. So we did them right after Christmas.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2023, 06:15:08 PM »
Wanna go to Vegas and count cards? :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2023, 07:29:04 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2023, 11:26:15 PM »
Nerds cluttering my thread  :lol

I'm working on the next update. Not sure when it will go up. I may not have time tomorrow, so it might be Friday before it gets posted.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2023, 11:40:01 PM »
:corn

Well I've been listening to Enslaved pretty consistently since the thread started, so I am ready!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2023, 12:00:48 AM »

Well I've been listening to Enslaved pretty consistently since the thread started, so I am ready!
I've distracted myself by listening to Metro Epic round playlist. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2023, 12:13:24 AM »

I've been dipping into it, but not listened to all the songs yet. I've also been busying myself ranking all the Dream Theater songs for the countdown.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2023, 12:20:12 AM »

I've been dipping into it, but not listened to all the songs yet. I've also been busying myself ranking all the Dream Theater songs for the countdown.
Oh, that's one more thing I need to do...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2023, 12:59:59 AM »

Oh, that's one more thing I need to do...

If it was a Top 25 it'd be real easy, but as it is a Top 100 my OCD won't let me just do an off the cuff ranking :lol  I'm spending way too much time making sure my ranking for songs in the bottom 50 are ranked accordingly. It's kinda fun though as I haven't really listened through the bands full discography in years.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2023, 02:14:01 AM »

• DTF.org Member
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Yggdrasill (Demo)
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2023, 10:34:12 PM »
Nice gif  :lol and sorry about the delay with this update. It's been a busy week.

Yggdrasill

Unhappy with the sound of the Nema Promo, the band went back to work rehearsing and then hit the road for some shows. It was during one of these shows that all the pieces would start to fall into place for the band. On a fateful night on April 13th, 1992, Enslaved would play a gig with another upcoming new band, Emperor (as it would happen this was Emperor’s first gig), and another band called Infinite Decay (they disbanded shortly after this gig and was reformed into Limbonic Art). This gig opened up a bunch of new doors for Enslaved, as we will talk about in more detail in future updates.

[Band photos of Emperor, circa 1992]

As another side note, the band Emperor was a catalyst for numerous other big name bands starting in Norway. Terje Vik Schei, better known as Tchort, played bass for Emperor for a short while in the early years. Prior to that he had formed a little band called Green Carnation, which he disbanded a couple years before joining Emperor. He left Emperor in ‘94 because he was imprisoned for 2 years. Shortly after he was released from prison he decided to reform Green Carnation. And of course there’s Ihsahn who just about everyone around here should know from his solo career and ties to Leprous.

Just a couple months after the gig with Emperor, Enslaved went back into the studio, on June 28th and 29th, to record another demo, this one called Yggdrasill. As it turned out, the band had a hard time finding a studio that could do a proper recording of extreme metal. They eventually found a studio called Micro Music on the island of Karmøy that would record their demo. The band was able to scrape together the $330 usd that would be needed to pay for the studio time and mixing. The band recorded all the music together in about 45 minutes in the studio, then recorded the keyboards over the top of that, then vocals last. The funny thing about the recording process was they realized during the first day they only had enough money to do the vocals and mixing of 1 song. They had to come back the next day after borrowing more money from their parents to finish the demo. (there’s actually a little more to this story which I will follow up on in the next update). The production on this one turned out much better. It’s still somewhat lo-fi, but a clear improvement, with the exception of the drums maybe being a bit too muffled. At any rate, this album was both recorded and mixed on those 2 days in June. Yes, this one was actually mixed, which is probably why it sounds so much better than Nema. This time the demo clocks in at more than double the length of Nema, at 34 minutes and change. There are 6 tracks here including a short interlude and an instrumental outro. Although on some versions, the interlude is left out. There are also some re-issues of the demo that include an additional bonus track called Enslaved.

[L-R: Original Cassette demo, Limited Edition LP re-issue, CD re-issue]
Tracklist:
1. Heimdallr
2. Allfáðr Oðinn
3. Intermezzo
4. Hal Valr
5. Niunda Heim
6. The Winter Kingdom Opus I: Resound of Gjallarhorn
Bonus track: Enslaved

Musically and lyrically, this is where Enslaved really started separating themselves from the rest of the second wave of Black Metal. Unlike their contemporaries, they decided to pay homage to their native lands history, by writing songs about Norway’s past, Norse mythology, and their Viking heritage. They also started writing much longer songs, as seen by the 4 main songs being 6-8 minutes long. The actual music still leans pretty heavily on the more aggressive and fast paced Black Metal that was common at the time, but it is atmosphere provided by the keyboards and the drawn out repeated riffs that gave this demo a life of its own and started gaining the attention of some of the bigger acts at the time (Mayhem, Bathory, Darkthrone, etc) and one person in particular that was at the center of the whole Norwegian Black Metal movement. We’ll talk more about this in the following update.

Some additional band photos from around this time.

Coming up next: The band receives an offer they can't refuse
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2023, 12:29:17 AM »
Nice update dude. I have listened to Yggdrasill a few times but I can't remember a great deal about it, so I'll give it another spin today. I think you hit the nail on the head about why I prefer Enslaved's brand of black metal, over their contemporaries, with their viking themes, use of atmospheric keys and longer songs.

I didn't really know much of the background about the recording, and it's nice having a little focus on Emperor as well. Emperor are a band I've never gotten into, which has always surprised me since I've tried their albums many times and really like most of Ihsahn's solo output. I guess I'll revisit the albums I've got on my ipod. I also wasn't aware of the Green Carnation link to Emperor, not that I have listened to a great deal by them either.

Maybe someone needs to a do a thread on the history of black metal, with a detailed chart showing how all these bands connect :lol

I'll post thoughts on Yggdrasill after giving it another spin.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2023, 01:44:27 AM »
Nice update dude. I have listened to Yggdrasill a few times but I can't remember a great deal about it, so I'll give it another spin today. I think you hit the nail on the head about why I prefer Enslaved's brand of black metal, over their contemporaries, with their viking themes, use of atmospheric keys and longer songs.

I didn't really know much of the background about the recording, and it's nice having a little focus on Emperor as well. Emperor are a band I've never gotten into, which has always surprised me since I've tried their albums many times and really like most of Ihsahn's solo output. I guess I'll revisit the albums I've got on my ipod. I also wasn't aware of the Green Carnation link to Emperor, not that I have listened to a great deal by them either.

Maybe someone needs to a do a thread on the history of black metal, with a detailed chart showing how all these bands connect :lol

I'll post thoughts on Yggdrasill after giving it another spin.
I'm going to kind of be recapping a lot of the history of the Norwegian Black Metal scene, since Enslaved was there from the beginning (basically helped start it along with the other bands that have been mentioned so far) and had a profound effect on the genre moving forward. I'll be digging deeper.

I also plan on doing a listening party in Deep-cut.fm on Sunday.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2023, 05:57:34 AM »
I'm a casual fan of Emperor and Ihsahn's solo material, and a bigger one of Green Carnation, that's a link I was aware of.  I'll try and give that demo a listen in the near future (possibly in deepcut.fm too, I'm unsure of my availability tomorrow). 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2023, 04:05:47 PM »
I'll be all up in the Deepcut.fm session if it goes ahead tomorrow  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2023, 01:07:37 PM »
Yggdrasill demo Listening Party in Deep-cut.fm in about 30 minutes!  :corn :kvlt:

aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2023, 10:19:53 PM »
Should have the next update up tomorrow sometime.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2023, 12:04:07 AM »

Currently listening to Mardraum in preparation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:16:13 AM by twosuitsluke »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2023, 07:12:46 PM »
Oops, I lied. I'm going to try to get it finished up tonight. Was at an event all day and will be visiting family tomorrow.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Hordanes Land (EP)
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2023, 12:20:44 AM »
Hordanes Land

In between the recording of the Nema promo and the Yggdrasill demo, the band had become acquaintances with Euronymous of Mayhem. Incidentally Euronymous had heard Nema and even though Ivar and Grutle didn’t think the quality was good enough to distribute, Euronymous heard a spark of something in there he liked and told the band that if they were to record another demo and he liked it he would be interested in helping Enslaved out. Turns out Euronymous had recently opened a record store in Oslo called Helvete. This became a local hang out and epicenter for the burgeoning Norwegian black metal movement. Euronymous also had formed his own independent record label called Deathlike Silence Productions.

[Euronymous]

When Enslaved finished recording the Yggdrasill demo, they took it to Euronymous at the record shop the next day. He immediately gave them a record deal. However due to logistics reasons Enslaved didn’t release anything through the label until 1994. In the meantime, they got to writing some new material over the next few months and went back into the recording studio in September and October of ‘92, this time at Lydloftet Studio in Ølen. They spent much more time on this recording than anything previously and the results speak for themselves. The production is much clearer and the instrumentation is light years ahead of where they were just a few months prior. It was quite impressive for a couple of 18 year olds and a 14  year old. Perhaps the most impressive part being the quality of songwriting, especially compared to their contemporaries who were not only older, but had been around for longer.

The new EP was called Hordanes Land, was released on Candlelight Records, and it consisted of 2 new tracks, plus a re-imagined and re-recorded Allfǫðr Oðinn from the Yggdrasill demo. The band also started expanding into more progressive areas and longer song lengths with this release. At the suggestion of Euronymous the band started incorporating musical techniques from classical music, electronic music, prog rock and other genres, like glissando, playing with grand diminished chords, chromatic scales, and other techniques. Also incorporating tremolo picking and using all the strings on the guitar for chord progressions instead of just using 2 or 3 strings for power chords like most of the rest of the metal world was doing at the time.

Candlelight Records released the EP in May of 1993. Then released it again as a split with Emperor the following month to get a wider audience. The EP released to rave reviews in underground metal circles and publications. Enslaved had found their break, but soon the fledgling Norwegian underground black metal scene would be thrown into a deeper darkness that it was already in. This is a story for another day though.

[Tracklist]
1. Slaget i skogen bortenfor (Epilog / Slaget)
2. Allfǫðr Oðinn
3. Balfǫr (Andi fara / Prologr)
[Runtime: 30:49]
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2023, 12:59:28 AM »
Now we're getting to the real meat and potatoes!

I'll give it a relisten later today and post some thoughts.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2023, 12:45:59 PM »
This is where the band really show what they are made of, and as you said Puppies, this release is such a vast improvement over the original demos. This is actually listenable for a start and I happily go back to this release and can listen regularly.

I'm not sure if it's that they honed their craft in the short period between Yggdrasill and this, or they just spent more time on their sound, and the recording process. I imagine it's the latter, and the results speak for themselves. Each instrument sounds much clearer, the vocals sound better, but it's also just a better performance. Like, more than anything they just sound way more mature, which is again astounding, as they were too young to sound this mature in my opinion.

I need to go and listen to some of the other early black metal coming out of Norway at this time, to really compare where they were at. Really thinking about it, I just respect them even more.

Bring on the next installment!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
I suppose when you grow up completely immersed and playing in a genre (Metal, and Death Metal to be more specific) that is actively being turned on its head and with parents that were completely supportive you can progress much more quickly. I mean pretty much all the bands in the area were really young, but a new genre and style of playing was being birthed, which is extremely progressive when it comes to music. Then throw in the fact that their parents and Euronymous were constantly giving them recommendations for bands to listen to and draw inspiration from and you can see how it all just clicked into place.

They got the 2 demos out of the way, got a record deal handed to them, then they hit the ground running and never looked back. All by the age of 18 or younger.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2023, 12:09:04 AM »
Anyone up for a Hordanes Land listening party sometime this week?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2023, 12:12:33 AM »
But of course.

It'll good for those who have participated in the previous ones to hear the step up in quality.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2023, 12:26:43 AM »
But of course.

It'll good for those who have participated in the previous ones to hear the step up in quality.
Yeah, I just hope I didn't scare everyone away from the thread with the poor quality of the demos  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid