Author Topic: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Vikingligr veldi  (Read 4935 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Enslaved Pre-History
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2023, 05:16:26 AM »
Ah, gotcha.  Might start listening once we get into the real stuff.

Be great if you could join dude but think we'll struggle to find a time that will work for you. I'm looking forward to these demos as I've not heard them before, but they're gonna be rough :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2023, 10:16:34 AM »

Be great if you could join dude but think we'll struggle to find a time that will work for you. I'm looking forward to these demos as I've not heard them before, but they're gonna be rough :lol
Funny thing is, the first actual Enslaved demo is rougher than the phobia demos  :lol but we'll get to that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2023, 10:33:15 AM »

Funny thing is, the first actual Enslaved demo is rougher than the phobia demos

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2023, 12:06:53 PM »
We still on for the listening session? In like 3 hours right?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »
I should be able to get on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »
I should be able to get on.
Hope for your families sake, they won't be in ear shot for this :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2023, 02:40:08 PM »
Yeah, I'll jumping in fairly soon and will queue up the tracks that are available right about 2pm PST, 5pm EST, 10pm England time  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
And for those that need the link

https://deep-cut.fm/652b54b5270237001d4c857e
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »
I have a question...

Wiki lists Vikingligr Veldi as the first Enslaved album and Frost as the second, but Spotify has them inverted.

Which one actually came first?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »
I have a question...

Wiki lists Vikingligr Veldi as the first Enslaved album and Frost as the second, but Spotify has them inverted.

Which one actually came first?
Vikingligr Veldi was first. There's a reason why they were released so close together. We'll get to that...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2023, 05:23:24 PM »
I wasn't able to join the listening session - is there a link to hear these somewhere?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2023, 05:39:38 PM »
I wasn't able to join the listening session - is there a link to hear these somewhere?
Here's the Youtube links for the 3 songs on the second demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgmZ3Z-bHI&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF4ah6Q8MUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJF5X-50xU

The other songs from the first demo are only available on the compilation called Slaughterhouse Tapes. It's available on bandcamp.
https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/slaughterhouse-tapes
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »
It only lets you play "Fog of Uncertainty" without purchasing it though. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2023, 06:21:48 PM »
And you have to purchase a physical copy?  Or am I missing a digital only option?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2023, 06:39:26 PM »
And you have to purchase a physical copy?  Or am I missing a digital only option?
Yeah, no digital only copy for some strange reason.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2023, 06:40:58 PM »
Might have to have a secondary listening session. It's only three songs.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »
Might have to have a secondary listening session. It's only three songs.
I might have some more time this week to do another one. Although I plan on dropping the next update in the next couple days, since there isn't a ton to talk about with the old demos.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »
I'm probably fine to just listen to the songs that are available.  I could do a listening session tomorrow night or late afternoon but that's it for a while.  But if that doesn't work I think I'll still get a good enough idea of the old stuff with what's there.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
Just listened to the Phobia demo again. I know the recordings are poor and it's really raw, but I love it as a piece of history.

There is a certain atmosphere to these songs and honestly some promising moments. Listening to Feverish Convulsions, knowing the age of these kids, and what is to come, just adds a certain context that allows me to appreciate it in a way I wouldn't based on the music alone.

The scene and the era fascinates me, and even though I was just a bit too young to appreciate any of this at the time (although my older brother was getting into death metal around this time) there is an air of nostalgia that is almost out of my grasp, but not quite.

I'd love to actually hear the band rerecord these songs (I'm not sure if they ever did).

Anyway, I'm all :corn for the next installment (which I assume will be the Yggdrasill EP).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2023, 03:36:35 PM »
Just listened to the Phobia demo again. I know the recordings are poor and it's really raw, but I love it as a piece of history.

There is a certain atmosphere to these songs and honestly some promising moments. Listening to Feverish Convulsions, knowing the age of these kids, and what is to come, just adds a certain context that allows me to appreciate it in a way I wouldn't based on the music alone.

The scene and the era fascinates me, and even though I was just a bit too young to appreciate any of this at the time (although my older brother was getting into death metal around this time) there is an air of nostalgia that is almost out of my grasp, but not quite.

I'd love to actually hear the band rerecord these songs (I'm not sure if they ever did).

Anyway, I'm all :corn for the next installment (which I assume will be the Yggdrasill EP).
Next update is the Nema Promo tape. It will be a small update, probably either tonight or tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2023, 03:49:01 PM »
It's fascinating how many of these black metal bands started out as death metal, Darkthrone's Soulside Journey being one of the more well-known. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2023, 06:44:05 AM »
Looking forward to reading this thread - Enslaved is a band I've never taken the time to check out.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2023, 03:07:23 PM »

Next update is the Nema Promo tape. It will be a small update, probably either tonight or tomorrow.

:corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2023, 07:57:05 PM »

:corn
I'm working on it. One of my employees has been sick with covid, so I've been covering for him, in addition to the million other things I have to do  :P
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2023, 11:44:41 PM »
It's alright dude, just ignore my over eagerness. Get to it when you can  :tup

• DTF.org Member
Re: Enslaved Discography and Listening Party: Nema (Promo)
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2023, 12:56:47 AM »
So this will be a small update, since there isn't much information on this era of the band. It's a short era, encompassing only 5-6 months.

Nema

After Enslaved formed in roughly June of 1991, they rehearsed together for about 6 months and after playing their first gig together on November 30th in Haugesund, they entered the studio in December of ‘91 to record a Promo to get their name out there and try to get some gigs outside of their hometown. The Promo consisted of 2 songs, plus an ambient intro and outro. It was recorded over 2 days, but the quality turned out so poor that they didn’t even bother mixing it, let alone releasing it. The band has stated that they ended up making about 30 or so copies, some of which still exist.

The sound here is starting to get closer to a more Black Metal style. You can even start to hear glimpses of what the band would really become in just a couple short years. This also showed how the band wanted to go their own way in Black Metal, unlike all their contemporaries. This would become even more apparent on the next demo. Overall, this promo has a very gloomy and atmospheric sound. It’s also very lo-fi once again. I mean, if you thought the Phobia demo was bad, you ain’t heard nothing yet!

I plan on doing another quick listening party for this demo on Deep-cut.fm. Again, this is another short one, only about 16 minutes. Hopefully I can do that Friday around the same time we did the last one.

We'll start getting into the real meat and potatoes with the next update.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2023, 03:10:03 AM »
I haven't listened to this demo but when I downloaded some of their earlier albums last week I was able to download a copy of Nema. I'll give it a spin today and post some thoughts.

Edit: Yea, it's rough :lol  there are some definite flashes of what is to come and as I kinda already said previously, I'm impressed by the atmosphere that a young Ivar (who I think plays all the keys right?) is able to create. Most kids at that age, and older, would just want to emulate their idols. It seems these guys had a vision and set about achieving it, from day one. You gotta love that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:17:50 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2023, 11:15:56 AM »
We doing this tonight?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2023, 12:54:21 PM »
Yeah, that's the plan. It will probably be somewhere between 6 and 7pm EST.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2023, 01:09:10 PM »
Yeah, that's the plan. It will probably be somewhere between 6 and 7pm EST.

Not sure I'll be awake, but if I am, I'm in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2023, 01:28:52 PM »
Listening to the two songs now on youtube. I can't promise I can make the DJ thingy tonight, but if I can, I will.

The vocals are horrendous, but I find the guitar playing really cool for a basement tape. I think VDO is better then the other one. It's actually really good. Did these sings make it onto an album of some sort. Yeah, this second song is awesome.

It says it was done on 12/6 & 12/7 of 1991.
To let you know where I was, on 12/6/91, I was at the second of back to back Guns n Roses (with Soundgarden opening) shows at the Worcester Centrum. They were the first two dates of the second leg of the UYI tour.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2023, 01:39:11 PM »
To let you know where I was, on 12/6/91, I was at the second of back to back Guns n Roses (with Soundgarden opening) shows at the Worcester Centrum. They were the first two dates of the second leg of the UYI tour.

What did you have for lunch that day?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2023, 01:51:02 PM »

What did you have for lunch that day?

Save it for Deepcut.fm session, it'll really help set the scene.

Impressive you can remember that Tim, I tried really hard to remove the only memory I have of seeing (some) of Guns N Roses.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2023, 01:53:12 PM »
Impressive you can remember that Tim, I tried really hard to remove the only memory I have of seeing (some) of Guns N Roses.

They were great back in the day.

I remember a lot of concert dates. I mean, I have them on a document, but my memory of dates is pretty good. In fact, today, November 17.....on 11/17/87, I saw Alice Cooper at the old Boston Garden. I had a backstage pass and have pic with some of his band, including Ken Mary, and one with Kane Roberts putting me in a head lock.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2023, 01:57:13 PM »

They were great back in the day.

To be fair, I bet they were. The year I caught part of their set was Download Festival 2006. I'd actually tried to catch Prodigy playing in the tent (3rd stage) but it reached capacity and they stopped letting people in.

I caught a bit of GNR with friends, but Axl through a hissy fit because you could hear the Prodigy set/crowd over the mainstage. He walked off and refused to come back on until Prodigy finished their set :lol