Poll

Now that MP is back would you like any further DT records to contain an instrumental cuts bonus disc

Yes
17 (47.2%)
No
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 15, 2024, 11:44:45 AM

Author Topic: DT Studio Albums + Instrumental Versions  (Read 959 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
DT Studio Albums + Instrumental Versions
« on: November 07, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »
Something I've been curious about y'alls opinion about

I personally don't like when bands do instrumental bonus tracks (i feel like it is a bit disrespectful to the singer and the band's overall vision... why aren't there versions that remove only Drums, or only Guitar, for example?) but curious what everyone else thinks
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: DT Studio Albums + Instrumental Versions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 11:46:03 AM »
No. Never cared for these versions at all and don't really get why they exist both from a band perspective or the fan perspective.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 11:49:34 AM »
Yes, and also, the acapella version.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 12:30:09 PM »
I don't know if there could be a return to the practice of doing this.  It wasn't really a practice.  Didn't they only do it for a couple of albums?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 12:31:15 PM »
Jeez Laweez is everyone on DTF a lawyer :lol

s/practice/occasional happenstance :)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline efx

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 12:33:32 PM »
I don't feel the instrumental versions add much at all but as a producer/musician I really liked the stems of BCSL as that allowed me to analyze the sounds and tones of each instrument separately. And they were good for anyone wanting to make covers where they then could just mute whatever instrument they didn't want to hear. I thought it was cool they also did that for OTBOA but I wish it was more of a standard practice for them going forward.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 12:36:50 PM »
yeah stems are one thing for sure. you can make remixes, etc. as well with those. but i agree that there isn't much value in just cutting out only JLB ( though the Dreamsonic tour thread here made it seem like maybe many people would prefer instrumentals :lol )
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »

Hey, you fucking asked.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 12:47:27 PM »
I voted yes, but with the caveat that they be something more than just without the vocals and possible guitar solos. I would like to see them be different, like maybe different arrangements, additional solos where there were vocals originally, etc. Kinda like what Fates Warning did with At Fates Fingers (vs. the original At Fates Hands). IIRC, Flying Colors did that for some tracks on their third album, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 12:47:57 PM »

Hey, you fucking asked.

:lol

it would have been perhaps better worded as "Now that MP is back would you like any further DT records to contain an instrumental cuts bonus disc"

EDIT: looks like i am able to edit the poll, fixed :D
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
The only album I'm aware of with an instrumental disc is BC&SL.  While I bought the edition that has that disc (because I wanted the disc of cover songs), I don't think I've ever listened to it (although I did listen to the Wither instrumental on YouTube).  I have virtually zero interest.

Yes, and also, the acapella version.

Now THAT might be fun!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »
Being able to focus on the music sans singing/lyrics is a nice complimentary way to listen to the music. If its a bonus, I have no issue with them.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 01:08:39 PM »
The only album I'm aware of with an instrumental disc is BC&SL.  While I bought the edition that has that disc (because I wanted the disc of cover songs), I don't think I've ever listened to it (although I did listen to the Wither instrumental on YouTube).  I have virtually zero interest.

A Dramatic Turn of Events had an instrumental disc, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »
They've had instrumental discs for quite a few of their albums now.

Black Clouds & Silver Linings (3CD and Box Set)
A Dramatic Turn of Events (Box Set)
Distance Over Time (Box Set)
A View From the Top of the World (Art Book and Box Set)

They've also had stems released for all of Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Behind the Veil, and Untethered Angel in their respective box sets, and there was an instrumental version of The Enemy Inside on the Japanese version of DT12.

I would probably vote "no" here. I enjoy them very rarely, but I'd rather something else in the way of bonuses. Covers, live stuff, extra bonus songs are all way more exciting than instrumental versions.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 01:52:06 PM »
They've also had stems released for all of Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Behind the Veil, and Untethered Angel in their respective box sets, and there was an instrumental version of The Enemy Inside on the Japanese version of DT12.
Jammit also released stems for all of IaW, Awake, FII, SFaM and 8v which you can find on YT and elsewhere.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »
:lol at acapella versions. Imagine every DT song in the vein of Peter Gabriel's "Excuse Me"
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 03:02:34 AM »
Something I never listen to.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 03:08:58 AM »
I don't think I've ever taken the time to listen to any instrumental versions.  Never cared for them, don't understand the need for them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 05:54:55 AM »
I don't think I've ever taken the time to listen to any instrumental versions.  Never cared for them, don't understand the need for them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 06:17:30 AM »
I’d prefer stems, so my friends and I could better learn the songs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 06:18:34 AM »
Unless they're either an acoustic or EDM remix then count me out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2023, 08:26:23 AM »
Nah, the instrumentals aren't my thing. The stems are great fun, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 08:27:32 AM »
I don't want any of this stuff.  I mean, if they include it, whatever, but I don't care about instrumental versions of lyrical songs, nor do I care about stems.

If there is bonus audio content, my preference would be for extra songs, or an interview, or something additional.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 10:23:23 AM »
I have no interest in instrumental versions, but I can see why bands do them: They require very little work or expense to provide a whole album's worth of "extras" to a box set. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »
No real preference.  Where I have instrumental versions of songs, they rarely get listened to more than once or twice.  But that one or two listens, it's cool to hear nuances in the instrumentation that I wouldn't otherwise notice.  And they can be fun to sing over if I want to record vocals.  But other than that, they aren't something I listen to.  But I have never seen their inclusion as a slight to the vocalist.  That's just a strange mindset.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »
In an ideal world, stems but appreciate anything that makes the backing tracks easier to study and analyse in obsessive detail!

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »
A little surprised to be in the minority on this one, but I love getting the instrumental mixes alongside the regular version. I might only listen to the instrumental version 2 or 3 times, but sometimes there's some really cool stuff going on under the vocals that you can't really make out in the normal release. Just helps me understand what's going on with the music a little better.

Virus by Haken is an album I don't really love, but a couple listens to the instrumental version greatly improved my appreciation of it.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2023, 06:56:52 PM »
A little surprised to be in the minority on this one, but I love getting the instrumental mixes alongside the regular version. I might only listen to the instrumental version 2 or 3 times, but sometimes there's some really cool stuff going on under the vocals that you can't really make out in the normal release. Just helps me understand what's going on with the music a little better.

This exactly. Yeah, they won't get listened to as often at all, but they are a cool listen every once in a while.

Also, don't be surprised that a bunch of prog nerds are dissecting/lawyering your posts, OP. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2023, 07:08:57 PM »
The only song I have ever appreciated the instrumental version of, and listen to quite a lot, is The Beach Boys' Sloop John B. It's a Mt Rushmore level song for me, and I thoroughly enjoy both the instrumental version and the vocals only version. I wouldn't have thought I needed those in my life, but when I heard them, I absolutely did. Maybe the same could be said for other songs, but I can't say I've ever consciously wanted an instrumental version of any other song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2023, 03:31:19 AM »
Apple music had this karaoke function for a while now (Spotify too, probably), where you can adjust the level of the vocals and even remove them completely. I'm not sure what the tech is, but it works for a whole bunch of albums, old & new. Just checked a few DT albums (the last three, I&W and Awake) and it works for all of them. So releasing instrumental versions seems to be moot, we'll get them anyway.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2023, 10:07:04 AM »

Dream

Theater

KARAOKE!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2023, 10:15:25 AM »

Dream

Theater

KARAOKE!!!

I think I'll try Innocence Faded, for an easy start.  :metal

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2023, 02:40:04 PM »
While interesting I do have to say I rarely listen to instrumental only versions. For me, vocals are another instrument and removing them removes from the experience.

What I'd LOVE for DT to do is include mastered jam sessions. To this day I wish Take This For The Pain was on Spotify. I listen to this jam way more than I like to admit. LTE did it and those songs were fire too.