Author Topic: Now that the MM era is finished, how would you rank those five albums?  (Read 9840 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Now that the MM era is finished, how would you rank those five albums?
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2023, 06:06:16 AM »
1. A Dramatic turn of events
2. Distance over time
3. A View from the top of the world
4. Dream Theater
5. The Astonishing

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2023, 12:53:15 PM »
2. Distance over time
4. Dream Theater
5. The Astonishing

That's it..a list?
Where's your commentary?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2023, 01:47:05 PM »
My list:

5. The Astonishing (1.5/5)

Don't like, not gonna go into anymore detail.

4. A View from the Top of the World (2.5/5)

There's not a single song off of here that I actively dislike. If they come up on Spotify, I'll listen to them no problem. At the same time, I don't care about a single song off of here. Not a single one I go out of my way to listen to. And I never, ever, get the urge to listen to the album itself. I listened to it once. It was fine. I never need to do it again. Having said that, good mix and good performance from Mangini.

3. Self-titled (2.5/5)

Good songwriting, but awful production and mastering. The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory are solid songs. Along for the Ride, Behind the Vail, Surrender to Reason and Enigma Machine are just ok. The terrible drum sound and loudness war master make it hard to listen to, combined with the lack of songs that "wow" me make me rank it lower.

2. Distance Over Time (3/5)

A solid album. Pale Blue Dot and Barstool Warrior are among my favorite modern DT songs. Untethered Angel, Fall into the Light and At Wits End are solid songs. Paralyzed, Room 137 and S2N are fine at best. Viper King is...definitely deserving to be relegated to bonus track. Mix is great and this is the first album where I feel Mangini really shined as a drummer. It's honestly close to a 3.5, but once again, I feel this was the album where they started being Dream Theater by the numbers a little bit more than they should.

1. A Dramatic Turn of Events (5/5)

Yes, I'm aware of the massive ratings gap. This is a top 3 DT album for me.A great album with all five members firing on all cylinders. Every song on here is killer, even Far from Heaven, which despite being the weakest song, is still pretty decent. Breaking All Illusions is a mainstay on the setlists for a reason, On the Backs of Angels is just Pull Me Under but...better, Ourcry, Bridges in the Sky and Lost Not Forgotten are some of their best epics, and This is the Life may have some of their best lyrics. The only thing I will say is that, yes, the mix is very uneven; overly loud guitar with super quiet drums and bass, but in this instance I believe the songwriting trumps all that. I do feel the need to acknowledge that this was my first Dream Theater album, so there is some level of bias, but even objectively I think it's a great album.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2024, 07:14:20 AM »
You don't think Mangini's drumming shined on ADTOE? Wow.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2024, 07:51:57 AM »

??? He said "A great album with all five members firing on all cylinders"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2024, 10:42:47 AM »
I'd group A Dramatic Turn of Events and A View from the Top of the World together into their own tier at the top. I don't know which I prefer. On the one hand, ADTOE is about as close to being the quintessential Dream Theater album as you can get, and it has the one song I'd bet they'll continue to play with MP, Breaking All Illusions. On the other hand, let's be honest, it was a bit of a calculated, fan-pleasing Images and Words remix. :lol AVFTTOTW is their best-sounding album, in my opinion, and gets more originality points, but it also doesn't have any grand slam home runs. Either way, both are great albums and are the two examples from the MM era where they really threw the kitchen sink at us.

Then I'd have The Astonishing in the middle as a sort of "great when I'm in the mood, a bit bland when I'm not in the mood" kind of thing. I have a lot of respect for this album.

Finally, I'd have the self-titled and Distance Over Time in their own tier at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, I like both albums (and even love them depending on the day). I think I actually like the songs on the S/T more but DOT sounds incredible. These are two of the more straightforward albums in the band's catalog, which I really appreciated at the time and still do today.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Freeze

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2024, 04:49:04 AM »
1.The Astonishing : Lots of great music, and something different from the band that I like. It's way too long , though...
2.Distance Over Time : Some really great songs here.. (At Wit's End, S2N)
3.A Dramatic Turn Of Events : I'm really not too fond of the "rewrites" on this album, but still some great moments (Illusions/Surface)
4.Dream Theater : This album doesn't do too much for me. The Looking Glass is a song I like quite alot.
5.A View From The Top of The World : Mostly boring in my opinion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2024, 09:45:26 AM »
2. Distance over time
4. Dream Theater
5. The Astonishing

That's it..a list?
Where's your commentary?

Good to sucks and blows.

In your face Flanders.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2024, 02:39:45 PM »
1. Dream Theater; love the production, feel like it's the most consistent from top to bottom out of five Mangini albums. Somebody also mentioned that this is when it felt like each member was entirely in their element, and I have to agree with that.
2. Distance Over Time; once again, love the production, and really felt like they were super in-sync on this record. I loved that everyone had a songwriting credit, and the fact that each song truly sounded quite different from the next. It was quite versatile in that regard, which is why it ranks quite high. From one day to the next, these two can easily change in ranking actually.
3. A Dramatic Turn of Events; no issues with the production. The songs just aren't memorable for me. Songwriting is somewhat weak, by comparison, and the arcs felt very predictable. Mangini sounded really good on this album though and honestly, as a loyal Dream Theater fanboy since I was, like, 9, I was just happy to see them able to move forward after Mike's dramatic and unexpected departure.
4. A View From The Top of The World; It's a Dream Theater album, so there's that. Would I listen to it over hundreds of other albums? Probably but even so, there's not enough packaged in this record that motivates me to go back to it. Songs are complicated and technically pleasing, but nothing truly calls back to me like the tracklists on the previous albums ranked.
5. The Astonishing; I respect and admire them for taking on such a project, but it's just not for me. The story doesn't really appeal to me, gets really, really cheesey at times, and - like someone else said - is just WAY too padded for me. Is there a few good tracks on that 35-song record? Of course, but like any massive concept album, there's going to be tons and tons of throwaways that are there specifically for the sake of the concept itself. So, do I hate it? Nope. I truly appreciate what they did here. It just doesn't hold my attention at all, and really didn't even after the first time listening all the way through.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2024, 03:56:52 PM »
DoT
View

Adtoe

Dt

The Astonishing
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kram

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2024, 04:15:38 PM »
DoT
Adtoe

A View

The Astonishing

DT

I like The Astonishing, and think it could've been excellent if they trimmed the fat off it, and if the subject matter was, let's just say something different lol

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2024, 11:34:32 AM »

He did the job very, very well on ADTEO. Like I said, all 5 members did a great job on that album. I just don't think Mangini really...stood out especially until Distance Over Time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2024, 11:47:16 AM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events was a very interesting "debut". I didn't care for the new mix, and of course a new drummer was a shock, but very importantly the songwriting was still very solid, and there were some absolute bangers in the form of Bridges, Outcry, and Breaking.

It was enough to keep me interested post-Portnoy, even though even on that tour I was growing concerned with them as a live act.

Then they followed with what was to me, easily their most uninteresting and forgettable album. Not that it's overtly bad in any way, but I have no desire to listen to it ever again, including the epic, which to me is also easily their 2nd worst at best (looking at you Ministry of Lost Souls on potential competition there). And to top it all off they pulled off one of my cliche awful moves with this clunker in that they did a self titled album after their debut. To me that always comes off as a band forcing a statement, and 9 times out of 10 it works in the opposite way on me.

Follow that up with what I will say will be looked back on as the low point of Dream Theater's career, The Astonishing. Look, the change of musical direction is fine, I've followed them through all sorts of different sounds. But the story and lyrics were flat out bland and bad. I had front row tickets (late cheap purchase) for one leg of the tour and still was tempted to leave a DT show early for the first time. Even the band couldn't finish the tour playing the album in full.

But then, much to my surprise, DoT and AVFtTotW were both really strong albums. Studio wise I've really come back around to Dream Theater, and with Portnoy back in the mix I have every confidence in them to put out a few great albums before they hang things up.

And thus my ranking is likely...

ADToE
DoT
AVFtToTW

DT

TA

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2024, 11:52:15 AM »

And to top it all off they pulled off one of my cliche awful moves with this clunker in that they did a self titled album after their debut. To me that always comes off as a band forcing a statement, and 9 times out of 10 it works in the opposite way on me.

The whole "this IS Dream Theater!" statement for the self-titled album has certainly aged like milk lol.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2024, 05:02:36 AM »

Follow that up with what I will say will be looked back on as the low point of Dream Theater's career, The Astonishing. Look, the change of musical direction is fine, I've followed them through all sorts of different sounds. But the story and lyrics were flat out bland and bad. I had front row tickets (late cheap purchase) for one leg of the tour and still was tempted to leave a DT show early for the first time. Even the band couldn't finish the tour playing the album in full.

:lol

Agree with you about DT12, too. What a shame they burned that bridge because the next album would have been perfect for it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:48:49 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2024, 01:18:12 AM »
This is a tough one to try to rank because I think all five albums are amazing in their own way.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2024, 10:18:58 PM »
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events
Maybe it’s a bit of an easy shot to say that ADToE is my favourite Mangini album, being that it is still, in my mind, I&W Part 2. But to compare modern classics like Breaking All Illusions, Bridges in the Sky and even On the Backs of Angels to any previous record still sees these songs stacking rather highly. It’s also very well produced, which is always a benefit.

2. Distance Over Time
“Come on, Deadeye, you’re picking the two most popular answers as your 1 and 2.” Well, maybe it’s because they’ve earned it! While Room 137 and Paralyzed do not rank very highly for me, you still have the obvious choices of Pale Blue Dot and At Wit’s End, coupled with bangers like Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior and S2N. It’s a great album.

3. Dream Theater
This album is all killer, no filler (well, except for The Looking Glass which I din’t overly care for). It’s just a shame that the production didn’t hold up its end of the bargain. Had this been produced differently, it would have set everything right for the Mangini era from the get go for me.

4. The Astonishing
Spoiler: I’m a musicial theatre kid who likes Dream Theater. For me, the concept was great, but there are some clunky lyrics and its maybe a little longer than it need to be. I personally would have loved to see this album done Ayreon style, especially when LaBrie had just done the Theater Equation shows at the time. It’s why I really like the Our New World  erosion with Lzzy Hale (though I will never forgive the butchering of that solo!). Overall, I think they needed to double down and I don’t think they did quite enough.

5. A View From the Top of the World
I don’t like it. I was a big supporter when the album came out, but it has only gotten weaker with time. I don’t even think I want to see Portnoy’s take on anything from this album, it just doesn’t do it for me. Congrats on the Grammy, let’s leave it at that.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Animal

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2024, 01:27:42 AM »
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events -10/10 This album did something I hadn't thought was possible. It convinced me that a band can produce one of their all-time bests even 25 years into their career. Breaking All Illusions>Learning to Live

2. The Astonishing - 9/10    Most criticism going toward this albums is fully merited - on the one hand, it is way too long to take in one sitting for most listeners. On the other hand, many ideas are not properly developed, implying it should have been even longer. Which would shrink the number of people willing to take it in one siting even further. And, for a concept album, let's say that the ability to listen to the whole thing at once is quite important. JLB is in a tough spot here - as impressive as his performance is, it is still nowhere near as effective as having a full cast of singers.And the story and lyrics are really as bad as everyone says (but historically, this has never been a dealbreaker, as many legendary operas prove). The only criticism which IMO completely misses the mark is calling TA uninspired. There is a boatload of great, exceptionally crafted and inspired music, even by DT standards. Yes,TA is a deeply flawed work, but still a masterpiece.

3. Dream Theater -  9/10  I was indifferent toward it initially, but it just gets better every time I listen to. I am starting to prefer IT to 8VM.

4. A View from the Top of the World - 8/10  I really like the title track and even the songs I don't seek out normally work well within the album.

5. Distance over Time 8/10   A good album with a lot of great stuff - Viper King, Barstool Warrior etc.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:21:18 AM by Animal »

Offline emtee

« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2024, 03:59:05 AM »
One thing that I will always associate with this era is, to my ears, and on physical media, how hard of a time they had making good sounding albums. The last 2 were great--they got it right-- but all the others were like experiments that didn't work out. When you consider how amazing 8V, FII, SDoiT...all great sonically with what should have been a template, they decided to go in different directions. And the drums were my biggest issue. Still kind of a head scratcher to me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2024, 07:34:13 AM »
One thing that I will always associate with this era is, to my ears, and on physical media, how hard of a time they had making good sounding albums. The last 2 were great--they got it right-- but all the others were like experiments that didn't work out. When you consider how amazing 8V, FII, SDoiT...all great sonically with what should have been a template, they decided to go in different directions. And the drums were my biggest issue. Still kind of a head scratcher to me.

I'm totally with here...but to that, I will add that, other than ADTOE, I think the last 4 albums are all incredibly difficult for me to listen to. I realize that I am in the minority, but I am not a fan of the production on the last two albums AT ALL. Loud, compressed, and those freaking machine-gun drums that sound like samples to me.

The material is fine, but I have had very little interest in revisiting the last four DT albums because of they don't align at all with my sonic preferences. Again, this is a 'me' thing, but the thought of MP's drum sound on some new material instantly has me more interested.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2024, 12:13:39 AM »

True, and i think this is also part of the reason why some people never accepted MM on the drums, or thought he had "no groove".
Live it was a completely different experience.

Offline gborland

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2024, 01:11:23 PM »
Is it actually the drums themselves? If MM played Portnoy's kit, would the drums sound better? Does MM just have drums which happen to sound like cheap plastic buckets from a kids' toy store, and no amount of mixing/production magic can rescue them?
Graham Borland

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2024, 06:51:50 AM »
Is it actually the drums themselves? If MM played Portnoy's kit, would the drums sound better? Does MM just have drums which happen to sound like cheap plastic buckets from a kids' toy store, and no amount of mixing/production magic can rescue them?

A combination of drums, engineering, and post-processing/mixing decisions. Either way, most of the drums you hear are usually way different that the real-life thing because there are certain changes to help the sound cut through the mix.

All the 3 times i've heard MM live playing DT music, his sound was always better than the albums. I would say that JP has a lot of responsibility on this aspect, being the sole producer of the band since MP left. 

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2024, 07:19:51 AM »
his live sound was better, for sure. But to me he still sounded like a woodchopper. I'm glad the grooving hi-hats/cymbals will be back.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »
1. View, DT12 and Dramatic Turn.
Technical difficulty, precision and musicality at DT's peak in their history (in all three of them, possibly barring James during View, but that doesn't detract from the album being among their three best) Them being the most athletic. All these aspects are interlinked to me and absolutely important. Not music to me otherwise.
4. The Astonishing: Well executed (musically speaking), not on the level of what I would call the eternal three. James having done a great job especially here.
5. D/T: Underdeveloped, imprecise (for their standards at the time). Still more listenable than any MP era album (to me).

Or in other words: I always go back to the three. I rarely ever go back to the other two.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:36:00 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2024, 11:32:38 AM »
No, MM's setups are well built (I play one by the same company he plays, so I can confirm as it were) and they are good sounding setups. He prefers an open tuning, so the drums ring a lot more than otherwise, and (usually) on the higher end of the spectrum concerning the tuning too. That will give us a lot more of a crack sound. (which is good, because that translates nicely when recording. What will hamper that is head choice (for various reasons), View and Dramatic Turn have a lot of the crack sound as does D/T. Now with head choice, the thicker they are, the more deadened they are (that is largely the case with MP, deadened head sound, very non-open tuning, so if MM were to play MP's setup, it would sound even weirder than if MP were to.) and the thinner they are, the more resonant. And the more open the tuning, the more resonant the sound too. Does that makes sense to you? Oh and also: the most consistent sound on any drum happens when played precisely in the centre of the drum. Very hard to do well. MM does this. MP does not, he hits all over the place.

(would an approximation of MP's sound be my preference in the studio? No, absolutely not (nor would most engineers approve of that and most players, certainly those I look up to), but if anyone loves his sound, great. And yes, some production choices in his era might not have been what people like (because they're not used to listening to them, so that is a factor of why people had a hard time liking MM's sound. Not me, I liked all his drum sounds on all the albums)
And again, this isn't meant to represent who is better or not (although that can be part of it), just to show you some of the key factors and differences, since you asked.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:36:54 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2024, 05:38:30 PM »
No, MM's setups are well built (I play one by the same company he plays, so I can confirm as it were) and they are good sounding setups. He prefers an open tuning, so the drums ring a lot more than otherwise, and (usually) on the higher end of the spectrum concerning the tuning too. That will give us a lot more of a crack sound. (which is good, because that translates nicely when recording. What will hamper that is head choice (for various reasons), View and Dramatic Turn have a lot of the crack sound as does D/T. Now with head choice, the thicker they are, the more deadened they are (that is largely the case with MP, deadened head sound, very non-open tuning, so if MM were to play MP's setup, it would sound even weirder than if MP were to.) and the thinner they are, the more resonant. And the more open the tuning, the more resonant the sound too. Does that makes sense to you? Oh and also: the most consistent sound on any drum happens when played precisely in the centre of the drum. Very hard to do well. MM does this. MP does not, he hits all over the place.

(would an approximation of MP's sound be my preference in the studio? No, absolutely not (nor would most engineers approve of that and most players, certainly those I look up to), but if anyone loves his sound, great. And yes, some production choices in his era might not have been what people like (because they're not used to listening to them, so that is a factor of why people had a hard time liking MM's sound. Not me, I liked all his drum sounds on all the albums)
And again, this isn't meant to represent who is better or not (although that can be part of it), just to show you some of the key factors and differences, since you asked.

Very interesting. Thank you for the color and insight. As someone who is production-illiterate and lacks drum vocabulary it is cool to hear well informed takes - much appreciated.

I personally never had a problem with MM's sound, as much as I did the fact that the cymbals sounded buried on DT12. I think my favorite drum production was on View followed by DoT, but aside from it being much easier for me to hear the cymbals I couldnt tell you why I prefer it  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2024, 06:10:47 PM »
You love these two because of good tuning, his precise playing (far more precise on View than it is on D/T, noticeably so to me, but still precise) and most importantly: these two have really good room sound.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 05:28:37 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline gborland

Graham Borland

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2024, 06:40:13 AM »
It's hard for me to 'objectively' rank the albums, as my level of fandom varied greatly in the last decade and that influences my picks.

When I got into DT hardcore, ADTOE was their latest, but it had come out for some time. Digesting it along with the rest of the discography didn't do it a lot of favors, the production issues seemed more prevalent, as well as the parallels with I&W. That said, I liked it a lot more than the last couple of Portnoy albums, so I felt like the band was heading into the right direction. Number of songs I feel like revisiting from time to time: 4.

I was at the peak of my fandom when DT12 came out. I remember lying down, putting the speakers around me and listening to it in its entirety. It was quite the rare experience. I absolutely loved it in the first few weeks, but it hasn't aged quite so well. Number of songs I feel like revisiting from time to time: 5,5 (the half goes to Illumination Theory, as I always skip the orchestral section and the final 7 minutes - both of these sections being a tad bit too cheesy and over the top for my taste).

The Astonishing was a big blow. I pre-ordered the CD, it was so exciting when it arrived, I opened it, put it on and then... I just couldn't get through it. It was such a chore to actively listen to it, it took me 3 days just to get through it once. I haven't much listened to it afterwards. Number of songs I feel like revisiting from time to time: 3.

After The Astonishing and a couple of slightly underwhelming concert experiences, I was essentially done with DT as a hardcore fan. I didn't even immediately listen to the last couple of albums when they first came out, but when I put them on, I liked what I heard. Both of them got plenty of good melodies, fun, technical playing, and they finally nailed the production with the last one as well, it's really pleasant to listen to. I listen to both of these pretty much in their entirety (except for Out of Reach - DT's ballads were always their Achilles heel for me). So, they both get points for consistency, although the highs are maybe not as high. I can't even tell the songs apart half the time (especially on D/T). When I think of a neat part, it's often hard to pinpoint which song it's in. That's not a dig at them though, it also means that they have a nice and consistent flow. And maybe because I'm just not that hardcore of a fan anymore.

As for the ranking, I can't help but feel that if the last two albums came out during the peak of my fandom, I'd easily rank them 1 and 2, and would probably listen to them deep enough to name a clear favorite. I'm leaning towards D/T, so many good vocal melodies and instrumental passages. Both DT12 and ADTOE, while having some absolute bangers that are unmatched by anything on the last two albums, are flawed. Other than putting The Astonishing dead last, I can't meaningfully rank them.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2024, 07:54:19 AM »
Technical difficulty, precision and musicality at DT's peak in their history (in all three of them, possibly barring James during View, but that doesn't detract from the album being among their three best) Them being the most athletic. All these aspects are interlinked to me and absolutely important. Not music to me otherwise.
4. The Astonishing: Well executed (musically speaking), not on the level of what I would call the eternal three. James having done a great job especially here.
5. D/T: Underdeveloped, imprecise (for their standards at the time). Still more listenable than any MP era album (to me).

Or in other words: I always go back to the three. I rarely ever go back to the other two.
I know they are your triumvirate, but if you had to rank ADToE, the s/t and AVFtTotW, what would the order be?

And thanks for your explanation about the drums - lots of in-depth details. This is why it's good to have you here!  :)  But I am curious, how do you feel about the way the drums are mixed on each of the MM-era albums, because I would imagine that would have some effect on your enjoyment. Both ADToE and the s/t are often panned because of the way the drums are mixed, and yet you love those albums. OTOH, generally fans feel that the drums on TA, d/t and AVFtTotW all sound much better, yet two out of those three are not interesting to you.

For that matter, what are your feelings on their live releases - both normal and official bootlegs? How would you rank them (at least the MM-era ones)?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2024, 10:25:18 AM »

I know they are your triumvirate, but if you had to rank ADToE, the s/t and AVFtTotW, what would the order be?

And thanks for your explanation about the drums - lots of in-depth details. This is why it's good to have you here!  :)  But I am curious, how do you feel about the way the drums are mixed on each of the MM-era albums, because I would imagine that would have some effect on your enjoyment. Both ADToE and the s/t are often panned because of the way the drums are mixed, and yet you love those albums. OTOH, generally fans feel that the drums on TA, d/t and AVFtTotW all sound much better, yet two out of those three are not interesting to you.

For that matter, what are your feelings on their live releases - both normal and official bootlegs? How would you rank them (at least the MM-era ones)?
No, The Astonishing still is very interesting, they did a great job of it (since they wanted to use a full on musical theatre approach and it largely worked for them. I would have wished for every character to have been sung by a different person, but otherwise, great. Imagine Faythe being sung by Floor Jansen (or Sharon Den Adel, pick one of them :D ) and Nafaryus by Alice Cooper. Yes. Would have been brilliant IMHO.)

D/T is probably the least interesting of the 5 to me because of it being less developed than we were accustomed to (and by extension, this is their album that got banged out quickly as it were). Still a good album. (Out Of Reach is one of my favourite ballads by them actually) Had they taken as long for it to be finished as DT12, Dramatic Turn and especially View, I'd like it a lot more.

Ok so: If I had to rank the three, I'd have gone: View, DT12 and Dramatic Turn, in that order. The production aspect is the most uneven of the five (and btw, I have 4 of the 5 in 24 bit audio with significantly less compression, so it's easier on the ears, doesn't hurt when listening. I like it like that.) Dramatic Turn is fairly dry sounding (which again I have no issue with, but I can see why people would), DT12 is a bit of a weird case in that what annoys most poeple (the snare sound, much slacker tuning on the top head, and so, lower and far less attack, but even) is actually very similar to that of the first four Toto albums (listen to Toto 4 and you'll notice, was just a sound that was hip at the time) and believe it or not, MM actually wanted the crack sound (which is on Dramatic Turn and The Astonishing and onwards), but he mentioned during his instructional DVD (which is great), that it apparently was a production choice by John and Rich and Jimmy T, so I belive MM here btw. I guess it's a contextual thing why some people think the snare sound doesn't work on DT12 but then in their opinion it does on Toto 4 and others. It's just strange sometimes.)
I like all the mixes of the drums on the albums (they are all different) but my personal favourite actually is that of View. Very well balanced, great tuning, MM having a very easy time to get a good sound out of the kit, great, what more could we want.

Now for the live releases (I don't own Distant Memories, but I've listened to it), that is (strangely enough) a much more consistent affair in that all of the official live albums are all far more evenly balanced in their tuning (you won't hear the DT12 snare sound in Boston, easier to play for MM too, because he doesn't have to work as hard to play evenly, but it translates just as well and) The official live releases (and including the 2013 Christmas album) all sound similarly *engaging* (if that word makes sense), people like that (and I do as well), because of the crack sound on the snares and open sound on everything else, goes through the entire body, so it engages people. So, in other words, had DT used all the drum sounds they got on the MM era live albums, literally everyone would have been able to at least appreciate them more (so, combining his live drum sound with all the great parts on the albums)

I can see why people love the D/T sound because not only do we hear a well tuned kit but also because we can hear the room sound (that is also what engages people, if it's used well. It is on the live albums and majorly so on D/T and View. Think Led Zeppelin 4 for D/T, very similar in that aspect (other than of course Bonham having an entirely different setup than MM :D and being an entirely different type of musician, actually more in line with MP in some ways :D )
The Astonishing is also nothing I have issues with btw. But I do think that they hit a massive home run production wise (especially concerning MM) on D/T and View. And then they are on a high in every aspect with View and then MM leaves.
And also: IMHO John does a much better job (overall) in producing the DT albums alone than he did when MP co produced with him. (although I guess we could plot that down to MP having been very strong willed at the time and less mellow than he seems to be these days)

Another not entirely related aside: Dramatic Turn and DT12 saved me from taking my own life. View is as personal to me for different reasons. Thanks DT.

That's my dissertation for today :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:46:26 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2024, 11:47:20 AM »
No, The Astonishing still is very interesting, they did a great job of it (since they wanted to use a full on musical theatre approach and it largely worked for them. I would have wished for every character to have been sung by a different person, but otherwise, great. Imagine Faythe being sung by Floor Jansen (or Sharon Den Adel, pick one of them :D ) and Nafaryus by Alice Cooper. Yes. Would have been brilliant IMHO.)

Every time this comes up, I have the same reaction.  I wouldn't want to not have the album we have, for a couple of reasons:
1.  James did an incredible job, and I love what he did.
2.  Having all kinds of guest appearances would make it feel a lot more like a side project rather than a band project.

I like and appreciate the album for what it is.  And the few problems I have with the album have nothing to do with the singing.

That said, I still do find the idea of guest singers for the different characters pretty intriguing.  In a perfect world, if I were king of everything and could make these sorts of things happen, here's a good compromise that I would have loved:  The album was released just as it was, but was more commercially successful, and the tour would have gone as planned (both in terms of ticket sales, and in terms of the second leg hitting the markets they intended rather than so much duplication).  And that that would have resulted in two things:  (1) a live release (which was planned, but didn't happen); and (2) an additional special edition release with guest performers.  That would have made me very happy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2024, 11:50:30 AM »
That would have been a nice idea (which I'd have welcomed as well) and I also like the album the way it ultimately turned out. And yes, The Astonishing is among my favourite recorded performances by James (I/W, Awake, Dramatic Turn and DT12 are the others)

Offline tiago

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2024, 03:48:19 PM »
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/10)
2. Dream Theater (7.5/10)
3. A View From The Top Of The World (6/10)
4. Distance Over Time (5/10)
5. The Astonishing (1/10)

Perfect!