Author Topic: Meeting your heroes…  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Meeting your heroes…
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2023, 08:13:40 PM »
I ran into Joe walking out of the bathroom at Morsefest last year  :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2023, 08:14:45 PM »
Marillion is so bad even their band members take piss breaks during their sets. :biggrin:

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2023, 08:27:06 AM »
Before Fates Warning's show, I ran into Jim Matheos in the bathroom at a neighboring restaurant in 2001. What struck me most is how short he was, I had to verify it was him.

He helped get my friend in to the 21+ show (my friend was 20 at the time). I thanked him of course, but didn't really do the creepy fanboy thing that some do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »
Marillion is so bad even their band members take piss breaks during their sets. :biggrin:
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2023, 10:37:41 AM »
I just thought I'd share my story.

I attend a university in San Rafael where Phil Lesh has a restaurant/yacht club called Terrapin Crossroads. A tiny place that seats about 50 people and is about 5 minutes away from me. I read on their Facebook page that Phil was making a surprise visit to Terrapin to play with the Terrapin Family Band.

Once a month the Terrapin Familt Band does an event where people request songs to sing and sign up and the band will play while they sing. Phil play and was amazing. I was in so much awe the entire time. I was only like 10 feet away from him. They played for a long time and everyone was dancing and singing along. I teared up when they played Ripple.

After the show the friend I was with was talking to people and I wanted to say hi to Phil but she was too nervous. I went anyway.

This is the part I will NEVER forget. I walked up to him and extended my hand. He shook it. His grip was firm and you could feel that he was a bass player, his hand was molded to the neck of a bass guitar. I looked at him and said "Thank you… Thank you so much" He replied cheerily "Did you have a good time?" I replied with "I had a GREAT time. Thank you." and he nodded and went back to packing up his bass.

After this interaction I left the tiny building and stopped. I looked at my friend and said "I just shook Phil Lesh's hand" I started to tear up and she hugged me and I cried. It was the most beautiful interaction Ive ever had.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »

I attend a university in San Rafael where Phil Lesh has a restaurant/yacht club called Terrapin Crossroads. A tiny place that seats about 50 people and is about 5 minutes away from me. I read on their Facebook page that Phil was making a surprise visit to Terrapin to play with the Terrapin Family Band.

Once a month the Terrapin Familt Band does an event where people request songs to sing and sign up and the band will play while they sing. Phil play and was amazing. I was in so much awe the entire time. I was only like 10 feet away from him. They played for a long time and everyone was dancing and singing along. I teared up when they played Ripple.

After the show the friend I was with was talking to people and I wanted to say hi to Phil but she was too nervous. I went anyway.

This is the part I will NEVER forget. I walked up to him and extended my hand. He shook it. His grip was firm and you could feel that he was a bass player, his hand was molded to the neck of a bass guitar. I looked at him and said "Thank you… Thank you so much" He replied cheerily "Did you have a good time?" I replied with "I had a GREAT time. Thank you." and he nodded and went back to packing up his bass.

After this interaction I left the tiny building and stopped. I looked at my friend and said "I just shook Phil Lesh's hand" I started to tear up and she hugged me and I cried. It was the most beautiful interaction Ive ever had.

you should never wash your hands again and then go eat a mcdonald's fish filet. you'd get Phil's mojo on your sammy!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2023, 12:17:10 PM »

It pisses me off to no end that this happened close to my home and I was totally unaware of it.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »

you should never wash your hands again and then go eat a mcdonald's fish filet. you'd get Phil's mojo on your sammy!

This was in 2021, many fish sammys have been eaten since!
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Online HOF

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »
Thought of this thread when I saw this tweet by Conan O’Brien.

https://twitter.com/conanobrien/status/1728948034971775159?s=46&t=fZEL_VJFXNecsfY2bM-KNA