Author Topic: Echo, the MCU show, first trailer out....  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Echo, the MCU show
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2024, 08:49:27 AM »
Second episode was also great.

Interesting that they’re giving her….gifts….or something. Curious how they explain that one.

I’m only 2 episodes in and I thought it was obvious. Her ancestors are “watching over her” (I hate that crap…but it’s a minor gripe)

I mean, I guess? But Marvel has been pretty good at avoiding stuff like that. Even in What If, they got their power from the tesseract. Why would ancestors only watch over her? A criminal trying to murder a bunch of people and give her powers? It's just a bit weak if ALL it is, is her ancesters are watching over her. I get that that's how she's going to see it from the beginning, but I'll be pretty disappointed if that's all it is.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:35:46 AM by hefdaddy42 »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Echo, the MCU show, first trailer out....
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2024, 09:57:42 AM »
Second episode was also great.

Interesting that they’re giving her….gifts….or something. Curious how they explain that one.

I’m only 2 episodes in and I thought it was obvious. Her ancestors are “watching over her” (I hate that crap…but it’s a minor gripe)

I mean, I guess? But Marvel has been pretty good at avoiding stuff like that. Even in What If, they got their power from the tesseract. Why would ancestors only watch over her? A criminal trying to murder a bunch of people and give her powers? It's just a bit weak if ALL it is, is her ancesters are watching over her. I get that that's how she's going to see it from the beginning, but I'll be pretty disappointed if that's all it is.

I'm only through ep. 2 as well, so this is all guesses and not spoilers, but here's my take so far:
-I kind of get the sense that her ancestors weren't all pure and had a dark streak as well.  I have nothing concrete to definitively base that on, but just little hints of things in those flashback scenes that make me go "Hmmm."  So them choosing her, despite her dark path, might not actually be incongruent.
-As for "why her?" specifically, I think maybe there are some hints there as well.  Judging from things the grandma has said, I think there is something "special" about her family, and maybe the ancestors choose to reveal themselves to certain people in that specific family, so Maya would not be unique in that regard.  And with Fisk having his hands in the tribal dealings in that town in Oklahoma, maybe the angle they are going for is that Fisk and his organization are corrupting the tribe, and Maya, with her personal feud with Fisk is perfect (from the ancestors' point of view) to be the liberator that ends that. 

A couple of other stray thoughts so far:
-As much as I want to get through this series, I'm kind of glad that circumstances have made it too hard to just binge it, and that I am being forced to take my time digesting it. 
-That train sequence was SO dark.  I literally could not tell what was going on at all at first and had to crank of the contrast on my tv and go back and watch it again.
-I like the pacing.  Given that there are only 5 episodes, it's slightly anxiety inducing at times to see the show taking its time and not moving more directly toward an obvious resolution.  But ignoring that we only have three episodes left, and giving the writers the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing and won't rush the ending, the pacing actually feels good.  Not too fast; not too slow.  There were times during the first part of episode 1 where they were leaning heavily on flashbacks from Daredevil and Hawkeye where I found myself getting a little restless, given how long that was.  But I get what they were going for with the Marvel Spotlight stuff trying to NOT rely on folks having seen everything that came before in order to be able to keep up, and I think it actually worked quite well.  I have no idea whether there actually are a significant number of fans watching this who didn't watch all of Hawkeye AND all of Daredevil that needed to be spoon fed the background, but I think how it was done would have worked well for that segment.  For those that do have the background, there was sufficient new material to still make it interesting and engaging, and to tie it all together into a meaningful background for Maya.  Overall, I thought it was a pretty good way of laying a lot of background for the character and why the particular story of this series is being told.  So even that part where, in the moment, the pacing may have felt a bit slow and felt like they were doing a bit too much background was actually really good in the grand scheme of things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2024, 11:47:29 AM »
Non-spoiler comments:

I really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would. But it was really well done. My wife, who is a Native American, was very impressed at the lengths gone to make sure certain things were in fact, historically correct.

I'm not sure I would be okay with Echo continuing as a series. But this is used as an introduction of sorts for her appearing in various MCU programming (such as the upcoming Daredevil continuation), I think it's a resounding success.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2024, 12:12:39 AM »
Just finished. Brilliant show. I’m really glad they didn’t water down Kingpin. And ended up giving even more subtle nods to the Netflix storyline, thus acknowledging its canonicity. Just a great show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2024, 07:18:27 PM »
Four episodes in and I am loving this show.

If future Marvel Spotlight shows are of similar quality, then more please!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2024, 08:29:58 PM »
Four episodes in and I am loving this show.

If future Marvel Spotlight shows are of similar quality, then more please!

Amen to this. So we'll done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2024, 06:01:38 AM »
Show was perfect. I loved it.

I like how they used flashbacks to the Netflix and D+ shows.

Side note: Something my wife noticed was how ALL What If second season episodes and Echo are lead by women.

Offline Adami

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2024, 06:09:11 AM »
I’d say half of What If season two is led by women. 

Many episodes costar women but Happy saving Christmas, Iron Man crashing into that planet, Peter quill attacking earth are all led by men.

Huh. So maybe more than half. But still.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2024, 06:10:28 AM »
Side note: Something my wife noticed was how ALL What If second season episodes and Echo are lead by women.

Bit of a stretch for What If season 2 - but certainly all episodes had women among the lead characters.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2024, 07:41:16 AM »
Oh. And the Mervels all lead characters performed by Women, even the bad guy.

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2024, 04:20:04 PM »
Just finished.

Last episode could’ve really been 10-15 min longer to fill in some holes. But otherwise fantastic show. Easily one of my fav MCU shows thus far (not counting the Netflix shows). Weird that it was kind of talked about as their biggest screw up before it came out.

I’d love more like this. No 50 jokes a minute, no convoluted plot involving getting a thing before someone else gets a thing or something. Just great character development that guides the story naturally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2024, 06:28:06 AM »
Just finished.

Last episode could’ve really been 10-15 min longer to fill in some holes. But otherwise fantastic show. Easily one of my fav MCU shows thus far (not counting the Netflix shows). Weird that it was kind of talked about as their biggest screw up before it came out.

I’d love more like this. No 50 jokes a minute, no convoluted plot involving getting a thing before someone else gets a thing or something. Just great character development that guides the story naturally.
I think the MCU reached a point that no matter what they do, there will be a portion of viewers who will say "it's the worst they've done". Look at "The Marvels", no where near the mess it was made out to be.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2024, 09:37:22 AM »
Just finished ep. 4.  One to go.  This was a REALLY good episode.  The drama and character development were off the charts.  In fact, thinking back, was there ANY action at all in this episode?  I think it was ALL character driven, and done really well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2024, 09:44:35 AM »
Just finished.

I think the MCU reached a point that no matter what they do, there will be a portion of viewers who will say "it's the worst they've done". Look at "The Marvels", no where near the mess it was made out to be.

Very true. But this was in the many months before release. So no one had seen it. It was just rumors about how Marvel was super disappointed in it and was trying to get it out quickly cause they didn't have faith in it.

I have to say, if Echo is what the top brass at Marvel think is bad, and Loki season 2 and such is what they think is amazing, I'm a bit worried.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2024, 09:58:44 AM »
Just finished.

Very true. But this was in the many months before release. So no one had seen it. It was just rumors about how Marvel was super disappointed in it and was trying to get it out quickly cause they didn't have faith in it.

I have to say, if Echo is what the top brass at Marvel think is bad, and Loki season 2 and such is what they think is amazing, I'm a bit worried.
I think a lot of that rumor-mongering was crap.  If they thought it was THAT bad, it never would have seen the light of day.  They would have 86'd it for a write-off, like DC did with Batgirl, or reworked it like they are currently doing with Daredevil: Born Again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2024, 06:16:12 AM »
Thought it was merely OK.  Final episode really hurt it though.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2024, 06:35:33 AM »
That was fine I guess. Some good moments but overall pretty forgettable.

You know what really bugs me in these types of movies? When a group of thugs with guns get beat up one at a time hand to hand by a single person. Why do they always inexplicably forget to use their guns? Why don't they all jump on her at the same time instead of standing there waiting their turn to get their ass kicked? I could do with there never being a scene like that ever again, especially in an MCU film/series.