Author Topic: Echo, the MCU show, first trailer out....  (Read 2369 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Echo, the MCU show, first trailer out....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 11:23:53 AM »
Ok...that looks freaking good. Some Daredevil vibes there  :corn

Looking forward to it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 11:25:19 AM »
I was NOT expecting that much Kingpin, so hopefully they didn't just put in 90% of his appearances in this trailer and I hope he's a recurring lead or supporting cast member.

This actually looks hype, though I hope the all-at-once drop doesn't tank the show's popularity.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 11:38:35 AM »
Really hoping he ends up being the big baddie in it, as my kid said, he's by far the best MCU villain, it'd be a shame to waste him on cameos and small roles now that he's officially in. I think the only way he doesn't take a main role is if they're saving him to dominate the big DD series coming up.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »
This looks f*cking fire 😳😳 WHAT. Was not expecting that or the tone. Can’t wait now. Should be interesting.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 01:42:02 PM »
So, something is bothering me, or I should say, intriguing me, since I saw the trailer earlier. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe I'm not.

are we going to get The Punisher in this show?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 01:59:01 PM »
Interesting.  I haven't seen or heard anything about that.  But since the "Daredevil universe" is somewhat merging with the MCU, it wouldn't surprise me. 

I'm actually kind of surprised at how dark and gritty this one looks given how tonally lighthearted Hawkeye was.  But I think it suits the character and the story they want to tell.  It certainly looks more interesting than I was initially thinking it would be when it was announced that we would be getting this show. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 02:22:49 PM »
Same here. But the trailer caught my interest so looking forward to it.

Daredevil shows up for a split second in the trailer  :corn

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 03:20:16 PM »
So, something is bothering me, or I should say, intriguing me, since I saw the trailer earlier. Maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe I'm not.

are we going to get The Punisher in this show?

I read somewhere that The Punisher will be on the DD show, don't know about him being in this show

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 03:25:01 PM »
Yeah, that seems to ring a bell.  I think I heard that too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »
I read that it would be the first Marvel show rated TV-MA.

I believe it.

This looks good!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 06:58:56 PM »
Give it me. Give it me now.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 08:42:34 PM »
I read that it would be the first Marvel show rated TV-MA.

I believe it.

This looks good!

Well…the first in the canonical MCU, but not the first “Marvel show”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 08:47:38 PM »
The end of the trailer showed TV-MA. Not surprised. Seeing a dude get shot point blank like that in the trailer was pretty graphic for Marvel.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Realm

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 05:04:11 PM »
Really enjoyed the trailer, was very surprised by the tone. I kind of didn't know what to expect from this show but that trailer was probably the last thing I did expect to see. I'm now really looking forward to checking this out now after watching that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 08:52:29 PM »
Well, the trailer made this upcoming series look interesting, which is exactly what it was supposed to do.  Other than that, it's too early to say.  I can't say that the Echo character really intrigued me or anything, but Kingpin is always a good time, and I'm sure this will connect to the new Daredevil series somehow, so of course I'll check it out.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 05:46:16 AM »
This is by far the MCU project I have the least interest in. But the trailers seemed good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »
Well, the trailer made this upcoming series look interesting, which is exactly what it was supposed to do.  Other than that, it's too early to say.  I can't say that the Echo character really intrigued me or anything, but Kingpin is always a good time, and I'm sure this will connect to the new Daredevil series somehow, so of course I'll check it out.

Yup, all of that.

This is by far the MCU project I have the least interest in. But the trailers seemed good.

My kneejerk reaction was and still is along those lines as well.  But honestly, I could have (and probably did) said similar things about a lot of Marvel properties through the years.  Heaven knows the vast majority of people thought the announcement that Marvel would do a Guardians of the Galaxy movie was a MAJOR headscratcher and had ZERO interest in a movie with a talking space raccoon.  So, given history, the fact that my kneejerk reaction is disinterest has me...interested.  Of course, the pushback on that is Marvel's recent propensity to underwhelm, so there's that.  I guess I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 09:24:22 AM »
Apparently, Echo is not going to be MCU canon and will be under a different header than regular Marvel. It will be Marvel Spotlight. Of course, like the story says, it is a tad confusing not being MCU when she was MCU.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/echo-marvel-spotlight-banner-1235593396/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2023, 09:57:07 AM »
Apparently, Echo is not going to be MCU canon and will be under a different header than regular Marvel. It will be Marvel Spotlight. Of course, like the story says, it is a tad confusing not being MCU when she was MCU.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/echo-marvel-spotlight-banner-1235593396/

Didn't ser anywhere in the article that said it won't be canon. It just says it won't connect to the larger MCU plot or stories. It's a Spotlight series, meaning it'll have a strong focus on Echo and her character, and likely won't connect to other MCU properties like the previous MCU Disney+ Shows have - WandaVision led into DSITMOM and eventually the Agatha series; The Falcon & The Winter Soldier is a big set up for Thunderbolts and the next Cap film; Loki is a big anchor for the Multiverse Saga as a whole; Hawkeye set up Echo and probably will lead Yelena into the Thunderbolts as well.

TL;DR - Echo is canon, just not making a point to connect to larger MCU plots.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 10:33:34 AM »

Yup, all of that.

My kneejerk reaction was and still is along those lines as well.  But honestly, I could have (and probably did) said similar things about a lot of Marvel properties through the years.  Heaven knows the vast majority of people thought the announcement that Marvel would do a Guardians of the Galaxy movie was a MAJOR headscratcher and had ZERO interest in a movie with a talking space raccoon.  So, given history, the fact that my kneejerk reaction is disinterest has me...interested.  Of course, the pushback on that is Marvel's recent propensity to underwhelm, so there's that.  I guess I'm in "wait and see" mode.

I think most of us probably had that reaction to Wandavision, wondering what the heck they were doing, and they crushed that one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2023, 10:55:42 AM »
WandaVision was a different situation, though.  Wanda and Vision were both well-established characters in the MCU, so a TV series that's something of a deep-dive into their relationship could be really cool.  What threw a lot of people off was that the first three episodes were quite unconventional, and the original plan was to drop all three the first week and follow up the following week with Episode 4.  Instead, a lot of people were wondering WTF was going on for three weeks.  That's a long time in this current time of binge-the-whole-series.  But you're right in that they nailed it, eventually.

Echo was a secondary character, a minor one at that, in a spinoff TV series about an unknown character with only a tenuous connection to an established MCU character.  When I heard that they were making an Echo TV series, my first reaction was "What?  Why her?" and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.  Sure, this could turn out really good, but it's not like there's no reason to be cautiously optimistic at best.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2024, 12:51:01 PM »
Five more days til all five episodes drop, and Marvel just put out a new trailer that seemingly seems to confirm that the Netflix shows, or at least Daredevil, is canon to the MCU.

https://youtu.be/g0f1o-KGWPM

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 01:14:47 PM »
Oh, wow.  I didn't realize it was dropping this soon.  I hope it's decent. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 01:18:11 PM »
Aw yeah
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 01:37:30 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic, but not holding my breath after my disappointment with Secret Invasion.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 02:40:57 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic, but not holding my breath after my disappointment with Secret Invasion.

Apples / Oranges. The thing about the MCU as a franchise is that between films or shows, there are different creative teams involved, although there is some crossover every now and then. Unless the thing that made SI awful came from the top down, I doubt whatever disappointed you about SI would have any bearing on ECHO. If anything, ECHO's connections to the Hawkeye and Daredevil series should alleviate any suspicions that this might turn out bad. If anything, it might be serviceably good at worst, and a sure-fire hit at best, but like you, I am still cautiously optimistic. I just think SI was an aberration compared to every other MCU D+ show so far. I'd take any of the three 2022 shows over it (especially She-Hulk, while not overly groundbreaking or enthralling, was at very least entertaining and also had some fun cameos, like Daredevil).

I think if *anything* hurts this show, it'll be the full-series drop/Netflix method of release. It'll garner about a week or two's worth of online chatter and probably be forgotten, unless there are some  big revelations involved. I honestly prefer the weekly-release method that they've done since WandaVision, as it keeps the audience engaged over a period of time. It's not like the MCU is hurting for air-time this year, so they definitely could have spread this out over 4 or 5 weeks. It'll be interesting to learn, later on if it's revealed, why they decided to put this out all at once. My initial thoughts were that they didn't think it was good enough to keep audiences engaged over the course of a month, and figured if they got it out all once, watch times would be greater, but who knows.

Either way I am excited to see something relatively fresh from the MCU. Maybe if I'm bored or have the time to, I may rewatch Hawkeye this weekend as a refresher for Echo herself.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2024, 02:42:02 PM »
:lol Was there more Kingpin than Echo in the Echo trailer?  Sure seemed like it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 02:47:17 PM »
:lol Was there more Kingpin than Echo in the Echo trailer?  Sure seemed like it.

Yeah, there definitely was.  But I don't have a problem with that.  In fact, it makes sense.  First off, they know where their bread is buttered, and Kingpin is a huge draw.  Echo is still relatively unknown, less developed, and doesn't have nearly the following.  Attracting the audience with a character they would be drawn to is just good marketing.  Second, given that Maya is mute, I think it would be hard to make a trailer work that more heavily featured her front and center.  It just works better logistically and dramatically to have Kingpin doing so much narrating.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 04:45:40 PM »
Hey, I like Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin, but it just seemed weird that he featured so prominently.  And a lot of it was stuff we already saw in Daredevil.

They might as well come right out and say "Kingpin is Back! (and we mention that because most of you don't know who the f*ck Echo is)"

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2024, 04:22:12 PM »
Hey, I like Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin, but it just seemed weird that he featured so prominently.  And a lot of it was stuff we already saw in Daredevil.

They might as well come right out and say "Kingpin is Back! (and we mention that because most of you don't know who the f*ck Echo is)"

I think that's the point, it feels like this series will be what finally canonizes the events of the Daredevil show to the main MCU, or at least the main events of their backstories as presented in the Netflix show

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2024, 05:19:00 PM »
I guess.  I kinda thought that when Matt Murdoch showed up in Spider-man, and Kingpin was in the Hawkeye TV show, that that made it official.  But maybe not "officially official canon".  Who knows?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 09:08:32 PM »
I guess.  I kinda thought that when Matt Murdoch showed up in Spider-man, and Kingpin was in the Hawkeye TV show, that that made it official.  But maybe not "officially official canon".  Who knows?

They had *initially* stated point blank that this was going to be its own thing separate from Netflix, but they appear to be waffling on that stance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2024, 01:13:55 AM »
Saw the trailer. I think I might watch this. Liked what I saw of Daredevil and really liked She-Hulk and Hawkeye.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2024, 07:37:10 AM »

They had *initially* stated point blank that this was going to be its own thing separate from Netflix, but they appear to be waffling on that stance.

I remember some "controversy" when Kingpin showed up in Hawkeye, how he looked different, people wondered if he was supposed to be the same Kingpin as in the Netflix Marvel shows, and finally they came out and said yes, it's the same guy.  It all seemed kinda dumb to me.  If it's the same character, and it's all Marvel, then clearly they're tying it together, which opens the door for Daredevil, Punisher, Jessica, and Iron Fist as well.  If it's not the same character, why cast the same actor?  It seemed like they were inviting the hoopla to stir up interest.

Somehow I forgot that Matt Murdoch/Daredevil was in She-Hulk, yet another crossover between Netflix Marvel and the MCU.  I think I read somewhere that MCU is waffling because they don't want to just adopt all the Netflix Marvel characters and actors into the MCU.  They'd like to pick and choose which ones to keep, possibly to recast some of them.