Author Topic: The Official Michael Abdow Solo Thread (Fates Warning, Ray Alder)  (Read 748 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
One of my favorite instrumental artists over the past decade has been Michael Abdow. I first met Mike when he was a touring guitarist for Fates Warning during the band's Darkness in a Different Light tour. Ironically, the night I met Mike in San Francisco, the guitarist he stepped in for, the great Frank Aresti, was a guest and stepped in for Mike for "Still Remains."

But over this past decade, I've really gotten into Mike's solo discography. You can see the entirety of it here - https://www.michaelabdow.com/discography. But in general, I wanted a thread to talk about Michael Abdow as a solo artist, specifically his albums:

Native Alien (2010)
Life Symbolic (2013)
Eso (2017)
Heart Signal (2020)
Seance in Black (2023)

Normally, I'm not a big fan of metal guitarists who do instrumental music. As much as I am in awe of guys like Petrucci, Vai, Satriani, Loomis (and on, and on, and on), I generally don't regularly listen to their solo work. For me, a vocal typically ties everything together and aside from cool passages, I quickly grow bored with instrumental records. Not so, in the case of Mike Abdow.

I'm not really sure how to describe what I feel out of Mike's solo work. He shreds with the best of them, emotes with the best of them. But he has a way of really letting his soul shine, and it sort of replaces the need for vocals. Simply put, the guy's playing resonates with me on a deep level, for a reason I can't put into the right words.

Any of you who enjoy instrumental guitar-based music, give Mike's work a shot and listen to a few records. They are all on the digital platforms, you can buy physical media, etc. To top it off, he's one of the nicest and most humble guys you'll ever meet. I spent a few years in Western Massachusetts where he's from, and he's pretty much like your neighbor down the street -- just way more talented.  :lol

Each of his records really just sound like a soundtrack to a film that you haven't watched yet, but by the time you're done, you want to. Just an incredible talent that I think most progressive music fans would love.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Michael Abdow Solo Thread (Fates Warning, Ray Alder)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 02:43:38 PM »
Brian, my roulette will likely finish tomorrow, and I'll check this out when I'm done. Is there one that you'd recommend to hit first?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
I've been listening to his last one, Seance in Black. Reminded me of the Gordian Knot albums, not so much stylistically, but how there's no excess notes in the songs. Very well composed and melodic for being a guitar album. I would start with that one TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 02:51:33 PM »
Brian, my roulette will likely finish tomorrow, and I'll check this out when I'm done. Is there one that you'd recommend to hit first?

I'm partial to Heart Signal. To be honest Tim, sometimes I find it hard to peg what you will dig and what you won't. But glad you're going to give it a listen.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 02:52:24 PM »
I've been listening to his last one, Seance in Black. Reminded me of the Gordian Knot albums, not so much stylistically, but how there's no excess notes in the songs. Very well composed and melodic for being a guitar album. I would start with that one TAC

Yup, my second choice for Tim, yeah. The new one is great. I pre-ordered it and just now, weeks after getting it, I'm listening to it. Just dynamite.