General > Musicians

Keyboard/Midi Controller Help Needed

(1/2) > >>

lordxizor:
My 14 year old son is a pretty talented piano player and I'm wanting to get him a midi controller keyboard for Christmas to hook up to Garage band on our ipad. I want to start out with a basic, cheap set-up that he can learn with and then expand his kit over time if needed. I'm a little at a loss for what I need. Is the keyboard and Garage Band all he really needs to get started? Obviously speakers and/or headphones would be nice. Hope there are some people here that can provide some insight.

As far as the keyboard goes, he wants full 88 keys and is adamant about having weighted keys. This is the keyboard I'm looking at right now. Any thoughts on this? Do these types of keyboards make sound on their own, or do they always need to be plugged into another system, like Garage Band, and have external speakers?

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-88-MK3-Synthesizers/dp/B08HDCY2D3/ref=pd_sbs_sccl_2_2/139-0942954-4459500?content-id=amzn1.sym.9e4bb0e3-6517-4128-9279-264b7296d379&pd_rd_i=B08HDCY2D3&th=1

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm not knowledgeable at all about this stuff.

WilliamMunny:
The simple answer is, 'yes,' all you need is your device, the app, and a controller.

Him being 14, I suspect if you just toss the controller at him, he will figure it out right quick.

The one you linked is super nice...you could easily spend half that and he would be good to go.

lordxizor:

--- Quote from: WilliamMunny on November 02, 2023, 07:58:25 AM ---The simple answer is, 'yes,' all you need is your device, the app, and a controller.

Him being 14, I suspect if you just toss the controller at him, he will figure it out right quick.

The one you linked is super nice...you could easily spend half that and he would be good to go.

--- End quote ---
Any specific suggestions? I'm not finding anything cheaper with weighted keys, though admittedly don't really know what to search for.

WilliamMunny:

--- Quote from: lordxizor on November 02, 2023, 08:38:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: WilliamMunny on November 02, 2023, 07:58:25 AM ---The simple answer is, 'yes,' all you need is your device, the app, and a controller.

--- End quote ---
Any specific suggestions? I'm not finding anything cheaper with weighted keys, though admittedly don't really know what to search for.

--- End quote ---

Ahh...I didn't catch the 'weighted keys' part when I first read your post.

No, unfortunately, if that's a must, then I think you are stuck in that pricepoint.

Stadler:

--- Quote from: lordxizor on November 02, 2023, 08:38:15 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Weighted keys. 

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version