Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 26405 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - IT'S THE FINAL HANGMAN! DODODODO. DODODODODO.
« Reply #1295 on: January 30, 2024, 07:08:38 AM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1296 on: January 30, 2024, 09:25:26 AM »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1298 on: January 30, 2024, 01:47:15 PM »
The Great Discord – The Aging Man   Puppies   This sounds like an interesting mix of genres, heavy yet light.
2   A more mature sound from a heavy, seasoned band.
Nord – The Only Way to Reach the Surface   TAC   I didn't think a long song could sustain so much energy and so many ideas. Impressive!
Cellar Darling – The Spell   Litho   That isn't a guitar/bass/keyboard/drum! But it sounds good.
Port Noir – Old Fashioned   Tomislav   The music in the verses is so cool and modern sounding.
Mile Marker Zero – Propaganda   King   This starts off like a nice, simple song, and heads more into DT instrumental territory.
Trident – Ambivalent   lonestar   Hard rock suits this genre more than metal does imo.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – The Dripping Tap   Luke   It wanders where it wants for a long time, and the time flies.
Another Sky – Only Rain   ReaperKK   Softer song with moody undertones and a good drum to drive it along, very nice feeling.
VOLA – Paper Wolf   romdrums   A wall of big, full sounds and energy.
11   Wowee that is some nice hitting poppy feel-goody stuff.
M83 – Earth to Sea   faizoff   First listen was while high and I got lost in it, the music felt so blended together and ethereal. It was fun!
Liam Gallagher – Once   stadler   You send lots of straightforward stuff, and this is one of the better ones.
El Mato a un Policia Motorizado – Fuego   Sacul   This song is fire!
The Circle of Wonders – Pinned to the Coat of a Deadman   jingle.boy   The long outro is the best part, rest is good too.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1299 on: January 30, 2024, 02:53:11 PM »
I'm less active for a day and it almost all gets solved already. :lol

I'm presumably 11 then. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1300 on: January 30, 2024, 03:41:20 PM »

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1301 on: January 30, 2024, 05:23:38 PM »
I'm less active for a day and it almost all gets solved already. :lol

I'm presumably 11 then. :P

I think everyone looked at these impressions and said "isn't it easy?" :neverusethis:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1302 on: January 30, 2024, 05:28:23 PM »
The Great Discord – The Aging Man   Puppies   This sounds like an interesting mix of genres, heavy yet light.

Mastodon – Jaguar God   Vmadz   A more mature sound from a heavy, seasoned band.

Nord – The Only Way to Reach the Surface   TAC   I didn't think a long song could sustain so much energy and so many ideas. Impressive!

Cellar Darling – The Spell   Litho   That isn't a guitar/bass/keyboard/drum! But it sounds good.

Port Noir – Old Fashioned   Tomislav   The music in the verses is so cool and modern sounding.

Mile Marker Zero – Propaganda   King   This starts off like a nice, simple song, and heads more into DT instrumental territory.

Trident – Ambivalent   lonestar   Hard rock suits this genre more than metal does imo.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – The Dripping Tap   Luke   It wanders where it wants for a long time, and the time flies.

Another Sky – Only Rain   ReaperKK   Softer song with moody undertones and a good drum to drive it along, very nice feeling.

VOLA – Paper Wolf   romdrums   A wall of big, full sounds and energy.

Moron Police – Isn't it Easy   ariich   Wowee that is some nice hitting poppy feel-goody stuff.

M83 – Earth to Sea   faizoff   First listen was while high and I got lost in it, the music felt so blended together and ethereal. It was fun!

Liam Gallagher – Once   stadler   You send lots of straightforward stuff, and this is one of the better ones.

The Circle of Wonders – Pinned to the Coat of a Deadman   jingle.boy   The long outro is the best part, rest is good too.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1303 on: January 30, 2024, 05:30:23 PM »
This playlist is fuego. Like, good job everyone, this is a prototype of what I was hoping out of both roulettes. I'll bump this thread Friday with results (or Saturday, my youngest is pretty sick so hoping he can make it to school Friday).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: January 31, 2024, 06:39:08 AM »
No worries on when the results get out! Hope your youngest feels better!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1305 on: January 31, 2024, 06:52:49 AM »
Mastodon – Jaguar God   Vmadz   A more mature sound from a heavy, seasoned band.
Yeah, this song is different from what this band usually puts out, but still with the Mastodon flavor.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1306 on: January 31, 2024, 04:53:56 PM »
Luckily he seems to have rebounded quickly!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Round 10 Results!

I had it in me to write these tonight, and know these numbers are firmly where I want them, so here are your final results!

VOLA – Paper Wolf   romdrums   9   

Yeah dude, just end on a high note. I LOVED this song. VOLA is near the top for me to explore post-roulette. It just sounds so clean and refined. The chorus comes in and every time it feels fresh.

Moron Police – Isn't it Easy   ariich   8.9   

How...does it go from that intro to such a poppy sort song? It's art, dude. This is some next level stuff, I was blasting it in my classroom in the morning before the kids came in and it was a good way to start the day.

Another Sky – Only Rain    ReaperKK   8.8   

What a song! It's chill and carries along nicely. My only gripe is when it gets TOO quiet in the middle. Although when those nice tones come back in, it does feel more welcome to hear them again.

M83 – Earth to Sea   faizoff   8.8   

I love ambient music. This is that and more, but the overlying ambience was perfect for this. The vibe is nice. I just really enjoyed the atmosphere while the electronic-synthy stuff underneath rode the beat.

Mastodon – Jaguar God    Vmadz   8.7   

Mastodon is probably cheating at this point to submit, but at this point, who cares? It might've taken me a while to find this song on my own, so I am glad you sent it. The flowing verses into the arppegiated like in 2:29 and those double hits on the drums right at 5:00 are all great and showcase how they just come up with such fun stuff.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – The Dripping Tap   Luke   8.7   

Over 18 minutes, what the fuck man? Actually, this is a song that somehow ended up being a chill and/or rocking song and the time flew by. I could see why this song was a stepping stone for you getting into the band. They explore enough ideas within the 18 minutes and each one is great, a lot of memorable vocal melodies and riffs, and fun rock to boot.

Liam Gallagher – Once   stadler   8.7   

The definitive Stadler roulette song. I enjoyed how easy it was to listen to, and yet how it had some good lyrics and great vocals. We need songs like this, sometimes I have a hard time finding them, and I'm glad I have this on my radar now.

Nord – The Only Way to Reach the Surface   TAC   8.6   

What a trip. I know I am missing good songs over 10 minutes and this is one example. I liked how exploratory it felt to me. Had some post-rock or metal(?) vibes to me, but also just rocking and grooving.

Trident – Ambivalent   lonestar   8.6   

As I said, hard rock and not harsh metal is a win for J metal. The slapping bass in the verse is tasty, and the chorus is just great, no other words.

El Mato a un Policia Motorizado – Fuego   Sacul   8.6   

I am totally fine not knowing the lyrics, this song just carried along with that nice synth and the supporting cast adding great elements onto it. It felt happy and sad, a nice hit on the more emotional side musically.

Cellar Darling – The Spell   Litho   8.5   

I looked up the hurdy gurdy on youtube just to see what I was hearing exactly. It's a folk instrument and it has some cool tones. Combining with the metal sounds gives a unique vibe and it was pleasurable to hear. Vocals are also great and I underrated them at first. Solid stuff!

Port Noir – Old Fashioned   Tomislav   8.5   

This feels firmly like it could be some good 2000s hard rock, or at least partly, and I like it for that. The vocals are clear and full, something I forget that I like in songs. The music has a very electronic (not genre) sound while rocking, nice blend, especially during the verse.

Mile Marker Zero – Propaganda   King   8.4   

It's a fun rock song with some progressive elements. I had a good time listening to this.

The Circle of Wonders – Pinned to the Coat of a Deadman    jingle.boy   8.4   

A solid song, if not a tad too long, but that's not worth a loss of points. The vocals that soar in the chorus are really cool, and really overall they are good. The music is also solid, and the outro is soft and haunting.

The Great Discord – The Aging Man   Puppies   8.3   

More like 8.3876, a very solid song where normally I feel like I wouldn't like a song like this. There is something I cannot put my finger on with how...catchy it is while it's playing. It has a great flow.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:35:37 AM by Jamesman42 »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
FINAL STANDINGS

Player        Score
romdrums        87
Ariich        86.2
TAC                85.6
King Puppies   85.5
Tomislav95   85.5
lonestar          85.5
King Postwhore          85
LithoJazzoSphere    84.9
faizoff         84.6
jingle.boy            84.5
vmadera00   84.5
Stadler        84.3
ReaperKK           84.2
twosuitsluke          84.1
Sacul              83.2

Congrats ROMDRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal

And a big thank you to everyone, all 15 of you have given me tons of good stuff!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
And from here on out, I will update the thread periodically and slowly as I delve into these artists. Right now, the ones that stick out to me immediately are:

Caligula's Horse, especially since they just released an album
VOLA
Riverside
Lonely Robot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Congrats Aaron!!

James, told you I would do MUCH better this time around.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Glad you enjoyed that track. Probably a top 3 Mastodon song for me. Thanks for having me again, had a good time  :metal

Oh yeah, Congrats ariich Rondrums

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Congrats Aaron!!

I am so proud of you!!!

:lol But for real, you actually sniped Puppies to come in 3rd if I am reading it correctly.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Glad you enjoyed that track. Probably a top 3 Mastodon song for me. Thanks for having me again, had a good time  :metal

Cheers man! Feel free to check back as I update on post-roulette finds!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Congrats rondrums!  Great roulette. I got some great music to check out 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Congrats Ariich!

wait, wut?

Congrats Aaron!!

Wish you would've told ME that too!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Congrats Ariich!

wait, wut?

Congrats Aaron!!

It's your fault, really.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Congrats Ariich!

wait, wut?

Congrats Aaron!!

It's your fault, really.

So I'm told every day!   :lol :|
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Congrats rom!

Congrats Aaron!!

I figured I'd do worse, and did.  :lol   

I sent more popular artists last time and more of ones idiosyncratic to me and a smaller circle this roulette, which proved to be a less effective strategy, but I wanted to try it out anyway.  I suspect James' tastes and mine are only mildly to moderately compatible, but at least a few things did well.  Was a good time. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 07:55:39 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Hell yeah glad you liked that tune, that album is quite nice.

Congrats rom!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It would be interesting to chart the scores over the roulette.  It might just be me, but it seems that the average generally kept going up each round. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Litho, I'm glad you sent me what you did. Even if it wasn't always the highest scoring, it was good to get out of my comfort zone.

Here are the averages of each round (so glad I kept track in a spreadsheet)

Round (Average)

1 (8.3067)
2 (8.4667)
3 (8.46)
4 (8.7, this round had the 9.5 scoring So Long, and Thanks... song)
5 (8.4533)
6 (8.44)
7 (8.5067)
8 (8.44)
9 (8.5667)
10 (8.6333)

IMO, it felt like you guys would hone in on what I liked and see where it intersected with your own (like any roulette), then maybe some people would try a new approach, so it oscillated a bit, and the last 2 rounds were 2 of the tightest, probably with the smallest range.

Online faizoff

Congrats romdrums!

Glad you like the M83 track James! This was a lot of fun, had a great time with this roulette.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Congrats Aaron!

Well deserved.

Delighted to have still come second, while sending a wider range of styles and almost entirely avoiding prog metal this time. Glad you liked the Moron Police so much, I think you'll like that album as the whole thing is along similar lines.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Congrats romdrums!

Glad you like the M83 track James! This was a lot of fun, had a great time with this roulette.

Me too, and glad you were a part!

Congrats Aaron!

Well deserved.

Delighted to have still come second, while sending a wider range of styles and almost entirely avoiding prog metal this time. Glad you liked the Moron Police so much, I think you'll like that album as the whole thing is along similar lines.

I am definitely interested! What a cool band.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Congrats romdrums and thank you James for letting me send you some tunes!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Congrats romdrums and thank you James for letting me send you some tunes!

100% this

Offline Tomislav95

Congrats romdrums!
I'm glad I participated, liked your positive outlook to pretty much everything I sent :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Glad to have you all!

I like a lot of styles (but not Pain of Salvation).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
And from here on out, I will update the thread periodically and slowly as I delve into these artists. Right now, the ones that stick out to me immediately are:

Caligula's Horse, especially since they just released an album
VOLA
Riverside
Lonely Robot
By the way, a song I would recommend from Riverside, but couldn't send for the roulette:

Egoist Hedonist:
https://open.spotify.com/track/63cli9FWbPU7zmRaFuiaCw?si=f444b044be1048a5