Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 26172 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Floex sounds like something a dentist would use.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, I'm good with skipping first impression.

If reaper didn't send VOLA, then maybe Amorphis?
A perfect Circle - Tomi?
Myles Kennedy - Tac?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is Chad Kingcrow and Tomi mewithoutyou?
Romdrums Rivers of Nihil?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I would've said YYNOT is PG, since he just outed himself in the Top 50 bands thread, but he ain't playin here.  Puppies then?
Amorphis - Litho
Kingcrow - probably Tomi
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I sent Amorphis to him last time, no need to do so again. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Isn't is how you cut your hair?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Do we have a playlist link?

Offline Tomislav95

I sent mewithoutyou but was thinking about Kingcrow as well. Would've picked the same song probably ;D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Link, my bad: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5W04xghCqLBynRWaEubCGL?si=4fbaeea13d384ff5

None of the above guesses are correct!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Stads is AIC
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I would've said YYNOT is PG, since he just outed himself in the Top 50 bands thread, but he ain't playin here.  Puppies then?
Bingo!

Isn't is how you cut your hair?
Pretty sure that's a Flowbee

And Floex is most likely Sacul
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

None of the above guesses are correct!
Tomi mewithoutyou?
Didn't I send mewithoutyou?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Yes, my bad!

Who sent what:

romdrums: VOLA – Aliens Shivers
Puppies: YYNOT – Etheria
tomislav: mewithoutYou – Julia
ReaperKK: Mac Miller – 2009
Ariich: Kingcrow – Night's Descending
twosuitsluke: Amorphis – The Golden Elk
Stadler: Alice in Chains – Rainier Fog
jingle.boy: Myles Kennedy – Songbird
Sacul: Floex – Prelude I
TAC: Structural Disorder – The Architect of the Skies
Vmadera00: Rivers of Nihil – Where Owls Know My Name
LithoJazzoSphere: Far Caspian – Let's Go Outside
lonestar: Maestrick – I A.M. Living
faizoff: A Perfect Circle – So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish
KingDolphinsRule: DarWin – Escape the Maze

Aiming for results by Sunday, not having a good week at all in all honesty but still enjoying the music you all sent. Actually, it's been a bright spot for me this week.

I can confidently say that no song is below an 8, and the lowest might be several tenths of a point above that. Super strong playlist.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I’m not playing but I love how hangman is still happening…
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Round 4 Results!

A Perfect Circle – So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish          faizoff   9.5   

This song is blowing my mind with how top-notch it is. It's perfect. Each transition to the next part is flawless imo, the vocal melodies are flawless, the lyrics are really interesting. I love the songs Lateralus and Vicarious, they are my two favorite MJK songs, this song will make top 3. Incredible.

Floex – Prelude I   Sacul   9   

Electronic music is very hit or miss with me, but when it hits, I adore it, and this song is in adoration. It's not a complex chord progression, but the build-up from the intro and the little things going on underneath are the little details that make this song exciting for me. You nailed it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alice in Chains – Rainier Fog   Stadler   8.8   

This song is just some good rock/grunge. I only know one other AiC song, Man in the Box, and thought that song was always cool with the soaring chorus. If I recall, this singer is not the same as the original. The singer does an incredible job here, he elevates the song, and the music has some cool stuff going on.

Structural Disorder – The Architect of the Skies   TAC     8.8   

Emotional prog rock that hits me in the gut. The production feels a little lacking, but the music shines in spite of it. The keyboards have a really cool sound with really nice riffs.  This is a great song, feels hand-picked for me, enjoyed it every time it came on.

Maestrick – I A.M. Living   lonestar   8.8   

The album cover this song comes from is pretty good at describing my feelings for this song. It is colorful, bright, really cool instrumental sections. It has a great flow and no bloat. I hear a lot of influences here, I could pick out some Queen, Dream Theater, and Neal Morse influences. It's kind of like TAC's song in some sense, and the last sentence of his result applies here as well.

VOLA – Aliens Shivers   romdrums      8.7   

The guitars in the beginning remind me of one of favorite bands, Cloudkicker. I like the electronic elements and then the chorus is loaded with enough to get me rocking my head. I liked this, I think even more than the other VOLA song I got in the last roulette.

mewithoutYou – Julia    tomislav   8.7   

Brother, Sister by this band is one of my favorite albums of all time, possibly top 10 if I ever decide to rank albums in the future. This song, stylistically, is very different than that album, but I dig this a ton. The wall of sound and soft vocals are a nice mix, and the classic screams toward the end as the rest of the song does its thing are a nice touch.

DarWin – Escape the Maze     KingDolphinsRule   8.7   

What a unique song. The lyrics, which don't usually factor into my rankings, do factor in here, because those are powerful. The music itself is great, the chorus would get stuck in my head throughout the week. I happened to catch that there was a music video for this song, and that was a nice bonus. Good bounce back King!

YYNOT – Etheria    Puppies   8.6   

Talent at every level, this is an interesting song. The bass stands out to me, but there are some fascinating things going on with the drums as well. Vocals are great and guitars are as well. The song is a cool progressive rock song, every listen felt new which IMO is a good thing. I would find a new thing to like on each listen.

Kingcrow – Night's Descending   Ariich   8.6   

The song nicely creeps in with the arppegiation, vocals, and pads. It naturally gets epic, and it sounds great. It wraps up nicely as well, ending on some layered vocals and I am glad it does, anymore and it would have felt bloated.

Myles Kennedy – Songbird   jingle.boy   8.6   

Myles is a recognizable voice, but I didn't know that was his name until this song, so it when started playing, I was like "this is gonna be great, an acoustic song with that powerful voice!". And it was, this song is a nice blend of acoustic and the lightest of rock.

Far Caspian – Let's Go Outside   LithoJazzoSphere   8.6   

As seen last round, I dig the post-rock/indie vibe, rock with atmosphere, and the echo (I know there's a better word for this) on the vocals is great. I really liked this song, it was an easy listen, sometimes I want the crazy DT-stuff, sometimes I want metal, and sometimes songs like this are needed in the mix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amorphis – The Golden Elk      twosuitsluke   8.4   

I like this song, something about this brand of metal is done really well with Amorphis. I don't know if it's the energy or the different melodies, maybe the keyboards, I liked Amongst Stars as well (and I did like that one more than this). Great pick!

Rivers of Nihil – Where Owls Know My Name   Vmadera00   8.4   

I like the low sounding intro, and the harsh vocals are the sort I like a lot. The parts that sounds like 5:08 are really cool, lots of energy on the low sounds while the high sounds give atmosphere.

Mac Miller – 2009   ReaperKK      8.3   

This song is chill, didn't expect to warm up to it like I did. Nice intro with the piano and strings. He has a good flow and while I didn't dig the way he was rapping/singing, it grew on me and I could feel the "realness" coming through, if that makes sense. The part where his vocals get backed up is a nice, more subtle touch. With all this said, lightning might not strike twice with stuff like this, so if you send this sort of stuff again, it might not score as highly as this :biggrin:

Overall Impressions: Best playlist of both roulettes by a good margin. You all kicked ass. I liked every song and have little to nothing to nitpick.

Standings
romdrums           35.1
TAC                35
Tomislav95   34.4
Ariich   34.2
faizoff   34.2
King Puppies   34
LithoJazzoSphere   33.8
jingle.boy   33.7
King Postwhore   33.7
lonestar   33.7
Sacul   33.7
Stadler   33.6
vmadera00   33.4
twosuitsluke   33.4
ReaperKK   33.1

Round 5 is open, send a song from 2019! Please get them by tomorrow night!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Those scores really are packed in there!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
For real, what a playlist!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Hell yeah finally near the top of the round :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I tend to forget who sent me what during the week, so when I realized how much I liked this song AND that it was sent from you made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
you made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
:blush :blush :blush :blush :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online faizoff

:omg:  Wow did not think the song would do that well. Really glad you dug it, it's my fav song of the album like you said hits all the right beats and notes and transitions. So catchy and melodic.

Don't think I'm going to match it again in the following rounds but will try. :)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Catching fire like that twice will be extremely hard, but doing it once is awesome

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent a song I nearly sent (twice) last time!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

Sent. Man, 2018 was close!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I believe you have all my songs for the rest of the roulette. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I believe you have all my songs for the rest of the roulette. :corn

Of course he does. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Far Caspian – Let's Go Outside   LithoJazzoSphere   8.6   

As seen last round, I dig the post-rock/indie vibe, rock with atmosphere, and the echo (I know there's a better word for this) on the vocals is great. I really liked this song, it was an easy listen, sometimes I want the crazy DT-stuff, sometimes I want metal, and sometimes songs like this are needed in the mix.

Tied for my best score in this roulette, still 4th from last.  Everyone else needs to stop sending good songs!   :D   Could have been worse since it's a bit outside of DTF's wheelhouse though.  I think the word you're probably looking for is "reverb". 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Sent for round 5.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Glad you dug the Maestrick tune... it's actually a pair of concept albums with 24 songs, each representing an hour in the day. The second one is in production now.

Their first album Unpuzzle! is amazing.

I'll send tomorrow, I have a situation which prevents me from sending today. (I'll explain it in my DM to you)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent the best song of 2019

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent the wildest and probably soon to be the lowest ranked song of the roulette :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I sent an artist I don't think I have sent in any roulette yet, but it's a song I enjoy very much  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I sent an artist I don't think I have sent in any roulette yet, but it's a song I enjoy very much  :corn

Same!