Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 31106 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Interesting, never thought of the vocals as loud, but hey it's a positive.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Maybe just a first impression observation

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Interesting, never thought of the vocals as loud, but hey it's a positive.

Listening now..I think with full instrumentation, the vocals seem properly mixed, but when they first come in, they definitely seem above the mix. That could've been the first impression I suppose.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I was also very sick on these and I was tired all day, so it may have stuck out more than it would have otherwise.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I have given each song their points but I want to give it til Saturday to get write-ups in and make any tweaks. Here are where the songs currently are points-wise in comparison to another song, but this could change.

NIN > Pain of Salvation
Worlds Away = Barock Project
Vasudeva > Mastodon
Until Rain > Iris Divine
Kepler Ten > Steven Wilson, Steven Wilson
Deep Purple > Kingfisher Sky
Nothing More > Mr. Weather

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I should also mention that the songs all feel about the same level, so the differences in scores will be low, with 3 notable exceptions. The mean is 8.41, the median is 8.4, the range is 1.3, and the standard deviation is 0.32. 50% of the scores are between 8.2 and 8.6.

11 of the 15 scores are between 8.2 and 8.6, and there are two below that range and two above. I used to teach stats so this is fun for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I should also mention that the songs all feel about the same level, so the differences in scores will be low, with 3 notable exceptions. The mean is 8.41, the median is 8.4, the range is 1.3, and the standard deviation is 0.32. 50% of the scores are between 8.2 and 8.6.

11 of the 15 scores are between 8.2 and 8.6, and there are two below that range and two above. I used to teach stats so this is fun for me.

That makes one of us!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

A man after my own heart.

Yay maths!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Lol nerds

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Lol nerds
We're all nerds in a late 2000s forum of a niche rock/metal band, in the year 2023, playing a music sharing game with other nerds.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
No. I'm old chic. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Lol nerds
We're all nerds in a late 2000s forum of a niche rock/metal band, in the year 2023, playing a music sharing game with other nerds.

Yea, I can't think of a single person in my real life who would think roulettes are a normal way to spend time on the internet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Lol nerds

Yea, I can't think of a single person in my real life who would think roulettes are a normal way to spend time on the internet.

I explained it to my buddies that I play MtG with and they were like "let's see hat they sent you!" And they liked listening to some new stuff (they all knew King Gizzard and other stuff already)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Lol nerds

I explained it to my buddies that I play MtG with and they were like "let's see hat they sent you!" And they liked listening to some new stuff (they all knew King Gizzard and other stuff already)

Clearly Luke lives in the wrong country.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Deep Purple > Kingfisher Sky

This initially puzzled me since I don't see the bands as particularly similar, but then I figured maybe you lumped them together because KFS does use overdriven Hammond organ as part of their sound palette on occasion, like in that song.  Then it also occurred to me last night that I forgot that their guitarist has guested with a Deep Purple cover band, so perhaps you were onto something.   :lol

For a quick sample, KFS' guitarist Edo van der Kolk is the guy on the right with shorter hair.  Edit:  Was so focused on the guitarists that I just noticed that KFS' drummer Ivar de Graaf is on drums for them as well.  Lol, this just gets "deeper".  Edit 2:  Looks like the two of them joined them for "Highway Star", "Burn", "Perfect Strangers", and "Child In Time".  Didn't realize I was going to learn this today.   :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Drmq24JDU
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 09:30:11 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I only compared songs based on their scores, not anything else, but that's cool that you found a connection!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 3 Results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2023, 06:40:26 PM »
Round 3 Results!

sleepmakeswaves – Worlds Away   romdrums    9   

This is some epic and feel-good post-rock, a nice journey that ends in epic fashion. I don't usually have much I can say about post-rock, but the feelings evoked were excellent.

Barock Project – Happy to See You   Puppies   9   

This song hit me from out of nowhere. So easy to listen to, it has a gorgeous proggy sound. The middle "instrumental" section is epic and more proggy goodness. Great flow, it doesn't feel almost 8 minutes long at all.

Nothing More – Fade In / Fade Out   tomislav   8.8   

The first 4.5 minutes is gold. I was in love. The rest is pretty good, and it's fine that the song meanders in that direction. Without the last part, this song is a 9. The lyrics are incredible, and the music conveys it just as well.

Vasudeva – Take Away   ReaperKK     8.7   

There's not much I feel like I can ever say about post-rock, so I will just say that this held my attention well and I enjoyed the positive vibes a ton. And you (along with another song) reminded me how much I love post-rock music.

Kepler Ten – Time and Tide    Ariich   8.6   

This is rock music made in space! I really started to appreciate this by the third listen. The distorted vocals and keys were great, and then the main hook still gets you a grooving song. Good balance in just over 5 minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mastodon – Roots Remain   twosuitsluke   8.5   

This is good stuff, I always like the higher register guitar lines Mastodon come up with, adds nice atmosphere. This song has great flow. The final few minutes are the best, and that piano outro is hauntingly pleasant.

Deep Purple – Birds of Prey         Stadler   8.5   

This song feels good to listen to. It has many little bits going on that I appreciate, musical or otherwise. It feels very open, lyrically and musically, very inviting I guess is what I would say.

Steven Wilson – Pariah   jingle.boy     8.5   

The synthy and acoustic opening hooked me pretty well to start, and Wilson comes in to set a good mood. The female vocals are pretty good. The facebook lyric made me do a double take, but it made sense contextually. The wall of sound instrumental is good stuff.

Nine Inch Nails – Less Than   Sacul   8.4   

It's good to know that Trent is still able to channel certain feelings not just through his lyrics, but the music. I love when that heavy synth/guitar (whatever it is) comes in on the "so what are you waiting for?". I like some NIN and this shows he still has it (at least as of 2017).

Mr. Weather – Kingdom   TAC        8.4   

The guitar opening is just metal goodness. I get a slight Megadeth vibe in some parts, which I like. It's a song that rocks and does a good job getting there.

Steven Wilson – To The Bone   Vmadera00   8.3   

This song has good energy. The instrumentation is nice and balanced, Wilson's vocals with the woman are good, just a fun tune. Much better than I am used to with him. I am not a fan of the intro soundclips, but luckliy it's short.

Kingfisher Sky – To Turn the Tables   LithoJazzoSphere   8.2   

This was an epic song, but some parts just aren't my style. The vocals, while obviously talented, did not do it for me. It did feel a bit bloated but not too much so, because the song has good flow between its different sections. I liked the quiet part halfway through, and the instrumental at the end is good and the song resolves nicely.

Until Rain – New World Fiction   lonestar   8.2   

I thought this was fine, it all sounded in tune with each other, and the music did a fine job. It isn't bland but it isn't a standout to me. I liked the recurring guitar riff that provided some tension, and the piano in the verse has a nice touch.

Iris Divine – The Acolyte   faizoff   8.1   

This song was good enough, there is some good riffing and parts that sound fun to play. I think the style of the song just didn't gel with me, I was a little bored by the end. But it isn't bad either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pain of Salvation – Reasons           KingDolphinsRule   7.7   

I did not like this song almost at all. I am giving it a few saving graces because of the crunching guitar tone sounding great, the quiet part was pretty good, and the ambition to try a song like this takes courage - but it just fell flat for me.

Standings
romdrums                  26.4
TAC                          26.2
Tomislav95          25.7
Ariich                  25.6
King Puppies          25.4
LithoJazzoSphere      25.2
jingle.boy                  25.1
King Postwhore          25
vmadera00          25
twosuitsluke          25
lonestar                  24.9
ReaperKK                  24.8
Stadler                  24.8
faizoff                  24.7
Sacul                  24.7

Round 4 is open, send a song from 2018!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 06:47:21 PM by Jamesman42 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Well boo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oof, I thought that would do better. Oh well, sent for 2018. I think you'll go for this.

Now to find something for 2019.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Need to go back to Jmetal  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
They were fine songs though :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hey James...how do you feel about instrumentals?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I love them provided they aren't boring. As I rediscovered from this last round, I love post-rock. Stuff that has atmosphere.

My favorite album of all time is all instrumental.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ow, that didn't go so well.  The irony is that I used it in my roulette for one round as an example song for my tastes for people to send things similar to, and "Happy To See You" was actually a song that someone sent back to me.  Lol.  Oh well. 

Sent for round 4.  Something quite different from most things I've sent before. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I love them provided they aren't boring. As I rediscovered from this last round, I love post-rock. Stuff that has atmosphere.

Out of curosity (and sorry if I missed it) but what's your favorite album?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Out of curosity (and sorry if I missed it) but what's your favorite album?

Nice try, but it's probably banned. ;D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline faizoff

Funnily enough I was thinking of sending that NIN song too but decided against it. I love the Add Violence EP. It's my favorite of the trilogy releases.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
8.5 for Steven Wilson??  I'll take it!!

Been struggling to decide what to send for 2018.  Sticking with my strategy of sending an act I've never sent before, the pickin's seem kinda slim for something that will click with Jimmy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was looking at Cloudkicker. I have two of their albums in my Spotify Library.

Offline Tomislav95

Nice, I'm glad you liked it. That albums is good but check their previous (eponymous) if you'd like, it's a bit better imo.
Will send later, I have a dilemma.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...