Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 26406 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 1 First Impressions (bosk is my dad btw)
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2023, 06:12:19 PM »
I am stealing everything Tim does in roulettes.

I don't think you have enough of a mean streak to pull this off.  :p

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2023, 07:15:04 PM »

:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »

OH SNAP!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2023, 07:23:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2023, 07:33:41 PM »
Shut up you old bully.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2023, 07:47:00 AM »
Is mine the "cold" one?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2023, 07:47:40 AM »
Is mine the "cold" one?

Yours is the "old" one. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2023, 07:48:32 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »
I know.  LOL

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2023, 12:50:21 PM »
13   ??:   I definitely prefer the singer's other bands more, but this is still good.
Give me my 6  :corn lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »
Let's get this done today, results hopefully tomorrow (slow start to this roulette and a wacky week as well).

1   reaperkk   We still vibing in this roulette. I dig it.
2   Puppies   This is some metal shit! Wasn't expecting those harsh vocals at first though.
3   faizon   This is prog metal through the eyes of a madman.
4   ??:   This is a cool song. Some might even say cold. That said, the keyboards are great here.
5   lonestar   These girls have fun with this music, it's so evident. Wild stuff.
6   jingle.god   The energy here is good, the typical prog metal but it satisfies, and the instrumental in the middle is delicious.
7   Ariich   Thank you for keeping a song as metal as this under 5 minutes. It'll be a grower.
8   LithoJazzoCube   Smooth and effortless vocals, didn't expect that instrument in the second half, though maybe I should based on your username.
9   Stadler   Short and sweet, beautiful guitar tones as you would come to expect.
10   TAC   If you stay in this space this time, you're going to get higher scores, at least I would think.
11   ??:   I want more stuff like this to balance out the metal (I love metal, but not just metal).
12   ??:   I got a song by them in the last roulette, and it was a surprising grower in that round. I think I really like their sound.
13   vmads   I definitely prefer the singer's other bands more, but this is still good.
14   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.
15   King DolphinsWhore   Great atmosphere, this band can do a lot of styles!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 03:01:43 PM by Jamesman42 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2023, 02:53:24 PM »
4 or 11 for me?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2023, 02:57:32 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2023, 02:58:55 PM »
4 or 11 for me?

No, one more chance.

That's good, though, because the others I can live with.  9?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2023, 03:01:51 PM »
Ding ding ding!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2023, 06:11:13 PM »
Probably 7 or 13. Although I'm not sure 5:00 technically counts as "under" 5 minutes. :P

I'm doing my write-up for this and listening to it, and the progress bar lists the song as 4:59, so that's what happened.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2023, 08:35:50 PM »
Here are my first impressions! Write-ups are almost done, and I think the scoring will be more pleasing than the stacker. The lowest score is a 7.8 and the highest is an 8.8. The mean of the scores is 8.306. Write-ups by tomorrow night is the goal.

St. Germain – Forget Me Not   ReaperKK   We still vibing in this roulette. I dig it.

Enslaved – Building With Fire   King Puppies   This is some metal shit! Wasn't expecting those harsh vocals at first though.

Between the Buried and Me – The Coma Machine   faizoff   This is prog metal through the eyes of a madman.

Lonely Robot – The Boy in the Radio   romdrums   This is a cool song. Some might even say cold. That said, the keyboards are great here.

Gacharic Spin – Music Battler   lonestar   These girls have fun with this music, it's so evident. Wild stuff.

The Paralydium Project – Bringer of Life   jingle.boy   The energy here is good, the typical prog metal but it satisfies, and the instrumental in the middle is delicious.

Soilwork – Death in General   Ariich   Thank you for keeping a song as metal as this under 5 minutes. It'll be a grower.

Above the Earth – All Our Dreams   LithoJazzoSphere   Smooth and effortless vocals, didn't expect that instrument in the second half, though maybe I should based on your username.

David Gilmour - And Then...   Stadler   Short and sweet, beautiful guitar tones as you would come to expect.

Dead Lord – The Bold Move   TAC   If you stay in this space this time, you're going to get higher scores, at least I would think.

Eidola – Humble Ledger   Tomislav95   I want more stuff like this to balance out the metal (I love metal, but not just metal).

Leprous – Third Law   twosuitsluke   I got a song by them in the last roulette, and it was a surprising grower in that round. I think I really like their sound.

Puscifer – The Remedy   vmadera00   I definitely prefer the singer's other bands more, but this is still good.

Chelsea Wolfe – After the Fall   Sacul   Haunting with beautiful female vocals, gets me lost in it.

Riverside – Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire   King Postwhore   Great atmosphere, this band can do a lot of styles!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2023, 06:17:09 AM »
bosk is my dad btw
Excuse me?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2023, 06:20:44 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2023, 06:43:36 AM »
bosk is my dad btw
Excuse me?

This is such a betrayal.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2023, 10:33:57 AM »
bosk is my dad btw
Excuse me?

Having two dads is great :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2023, 10:40:38 AM »
bosk is my dad btw
Excuse me?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2023, 11:00:26 AM »
bosk is my dad btw
Excuse me?

There was a sitcom in the 80's about this. Lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 1 Results (hef is the best dad, just so you kn
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2023, 11:02:07 AM »
Round 1 Results!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lonely Robot – The Boy in the Radio   romdrums   8.8   

Gorgeous song, the restrained verses have great atmosphere while the chorus is nice. I get the Frost* vibes and, funnily enough, I like this more than the actual Frost* stuff sent in my last roulette. I really enjoyed everything about this.

Riverside – Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire   King Postwhore   8.8   

Ok, Riverside has been sent 3 times now and it's been gas every single time. This is very different than the other two tracks previously sent, and this one might be the best one yet, but maybe not. Still, I enjoyed the slow build of the song, it just hit all the right spots.

Dead Lord – The Bold Move   TAC   8.6   

You need to send more rocking stuff to me. It doesn't have to be this exact style, but I feel you might have a good reservoir of stuff in this realm. The emotion drips from those vocals, and the guitars and the band let that feeling flow. Then it rocks, and it rocks on. Even the ending, as simple as it is, finalizes the song nicely.

Eidola – Humble Ledger   Tomislav95   8.5   

I enjoyed how this song started slow and ramped up a bit. Its spot in the playlist was also great - there is a ton of metal right before it, which is good, but I like rock just as much (and maybe even more than metal). The guitar part at about 2:40 is smooth. I get some slight Thrice vibes as well, which will earn it some points.

Puscifer – The Remedy   vmadera00   8.5   

Geez, the tone of each instrument in that intro is the stuff. The good stuff. This song was stuck in my head a lot. Maynard is obviously just an amazing vocalist. I wasn't a fan of the cursing, I usually dislike that but it grew on me because the message of the song almost necessitated it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soilwork – Death in General   Ariich   8.4   

I really like intros like the one in this song. It lingers and builds into the main thing very well. The vocals have an emotion behind them that elevate this song. The chorus is really something else (I typed that in a good tone). I was keen on the harsh vocals at first, but they grew on me through the week.

Above the Earth – All Our Dreams   LithoJazzoSphere   8.4   

The vocals and music work surprisingly well. This is metal and...pop? But it's really good. The violin comes in so smoothly in the middle, followed by some beautiful soaring vocals. The song is straightforward enough, like a pop song, but with a good instrumental middle. Solid song.

Leprous – Third Law   twosuitsluke   8.4   

In theory, I shouldn't like Leprous as much as I do here and from the last roulette. But yeah, Leprous has a certain sound that I can only describe as "Cenobite metal". It's otherwordly in a way that feels hopeless and ruthless. It intrigues me, and it still is musically great to listen to.

St. Germain – Forget Me Not   ReaperKK   8.2   

This is some good stuff, especially under an influence. The artist description describes this music as house and jazz. I can't say that I know what that would sound like, but if this is it, yeah, I will take it. This also was a nice contrast to the metal, letting the playlist catch a breath.

Gacharic Spin – Music Battler   lonestar   8.2   

This song has a killer intro. I like the slapping bass, the keyboard sounds are on point as well. This was the first song on the playlist, and I like that the intro just said "we are here to fucking rock." I like j metal, dude. I don't know if it will ever crack the top of a list or score the highest, I think it has a ceiling on my end, but I enjoy everything you send.

Enslaved – Building With Fire   King Puppies   8.1   

This song is good, but I wish it didn't veer into the heavier metal parts. I don't know, it's a long song (in terms of my guidelines) and the harsh stuff goes on for too long for me to score it higher. But the parts around those harsh parts range from great to beautiful (especially at 5:30ish).

David Gilmour - And Then...   Stadler   8   

I like the guitar over that ambience. It's some soulful stuff. It's a good song that does its thing, but it's not anything more than that to me.

Chelsea Wolfe – After the Fall   Sacul   8   

I always appreciate something different. It will always be hard for songs like this to get higher scores, though not impossible. It's got great atmosphere, and the dark music underneath is cool. And Chelsea is obviously talented and conveys the emotions well.

The Paralydium Project – Bringer of Life   jingle.boy   7.9   

The song is good, kind of standard metal but it checks the boxes above average. The music around 5:00 is the highlight. It seems the song could use something else to make it stick out more from the mold.

Between the Buried and Me – The Coma Machine   faizoff   7.8   

What a schizophrenic song. I think that is BTBAM in general, it's all over the place. I think this song is good, but this stuff sometimes feels like it is too out there for me. I appreciate the ideas, I don't dislike it, I just don't fully connect to it. I am giving a few extra decimal points (above a 7.5) for some really cool parts toward the end right before it goes back to the piano refrain.

Overall impressions: Every song was at least good and scored above a 7.5. Good start to the roulette. I enjoyed this playlist.

Also, I had never shared the playlist, whoops: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1hEJSwRdriwzfJ0y8ORm7A?si=d73b913358464cfd

Standings

romdrums   8.8
King Postwhore   8.8
TAC   8.6
Tomislav95   8.5
vmadera00   8.5
Ariich   8.4
LithoJazzoSphere   8.4
twosuitsluke   8.4
ReaperKK   8.2
lonestar   8.2
King Puppies   8.1
Stadler   8
Sacul   8
jingle.boy   7.9
faizoff   7.8

Round 2 is open, send a song from 2016!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 1 Results (hef is the best dad, just so you kn
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2023, 11:26:27 AM »
Aaaaand sent..

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2023, 11:34:06 AM »
A decent enough start.  That version is a reworked arrangement of the song from their 2012 self-titled debut EP.  The violin is a big part of what makes it stand out to me, but if you're curious about a slightly heavier arrangement of it check out that earlier one, which instead has a cool solo from Nolly of Periphery, plus a few blast beats. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
Sent for round 2.  Technically speaking this will probably be the roulette debut for this artist. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2023, 12:33:25 PM »
Nice!!!  I love that Riverside album.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2023, 01:58:57 PM »
Solid score  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2023, 03:55:36 AM »
So, I'm just going to give him grief here cuz he's my bestie... but fuck Joe - Riverside got a 9/10 in the 2015 round in his last roulette (ie, #2 song).  Big fucking shocker it would score well again.  I mean, I know you didn't play in his first one and all, and James explicitly stated re-sending artists was ok, but geez!

I'm just going to pre-shame anyone who sends Periphery or Oceans of Slumber this round.   :P

Step it up people... send James new music he hasn't been exposed to - that's the point of a roulette!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2023, 04:41:32 AM »
I mean, Lune is completely different to anything else on that Periphery album so it would be a high risk strategy!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2023, 05:15:28 AM »
Chad, I didn't look at his last roulette before I sent my favorite song from 2015. Just got lucky.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2023, 06:05:23 AM »
So, I'm just going to give him grief here cuz he's my bestie... but fuck Joe - Riverside got a 9/10 in the 2015 round in his last roulette (ie, #2 song).  Big fucking shocker it would score well again.  I mean, I know you didn't play in his first one and all, and James explicitly stated re-sending artists was ok, but geez!

I'm just going to pre-shame anyone who sends Periphery or Oceans of Slumber this round.   :P

Step it up people... send James new music he hasn't been exposed to - that's the point of a roulette!!!

I considered an Oceans Of Slumber song for this round, but then I noticed it received a 9 last time, and I didn't want to be that guy.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2023, 11:20:55 AM »
Apparently Joe didn’t mind! :D :P
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion