Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 26399 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 9 Impressions!!!!
« Reply #1155 on: January 17, 2024, 02:51:42 PM »
12?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1156 on: January 17, 2024, 02:51:53 PM »
Maybe #8 then?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1158 on: January 17, 2024, 02:58:56 PM »
I don't think of it as particularly dark, maybe a tinge of melancholy, but you did put "sorta", and it's probably relative to everything else. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1159 on: January 17, 2024, 03:02:21 PM »
I don't think of it as particularly dark, maybe a tinge of melancholy, but you did put "sorta", and it's probably relative to everything else. 

Yeah, it is a first listen and melancholy might work better.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1160 on: January 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1161 on: January 17, 2024, 04:39:01 PM »
12?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1162 on: January 17, 2024, 04:41:18 PM »
Are you still actually guessing? Have you even heard the song you sent?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: January 17, 2024, 04:45:28 PM »
Are you still actually guessing? Have you even heard the song you sent?

My song is so good, 8 different impressions fit it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1164 on: January 17, 2024, 05:06:37 PM »
1 then?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1165 on: January 17, 2024, 05:21:51 PM »
9?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1167 on: January 17, 2024, 06:20:06 PM »
Almost there already!

Angel Vivaldi – Nine   Vmads   First song on the playlist, very excitable and groovy.
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds – Council Skies   stadler   I like how subdued this feels.
Skrillex – Supersonic (My Existence)   ReaperKK   I enjjjoyeddd this sonnng more than IIIII thought I Wwwoulddd
4   This has a big sound with a strong voice to lead the way.
Bear Ghost – Vulture   Ariich   A more interesting The Dear Hunter.
Ions – The Same As You   romdrums   Odd time signatures and lots of reverb, this is a cool sound.
7   Solid rock song, the instruments have some frenetic energy.
Dirt Poor Robins – You'll Never Hear It Coming   Litho   Sorta dark 80s vibe I think? I dug it.
Sufjan Stevens – Shit Talk   Sacul   Light and airy, middle section is great with the overlapping parts.
Midnight Odyssey – In the Lunar Maelstrom   Puppies   The aggression and atmosphere made an agreement to become one.
i/o – Peter Gabriel   faizoff   The chorus is the highlight of this piano-y song.
Advent Horizon – Water   King   This is refreshing rock/metal, first thought that came to my head. It has clean production, great passion, the energy is something else.
Coldbound – Skies Are Weeping   TAC   I liked the back and forth of the harsh and female vocals, and overall cool atmosphere.
Therewolf Media – Odd Jobs   jingle.boy   Video game jazz rock/metal, thems the vibes
15   Sounds like dredg at first (pariah era) then it gets proggy.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 02:08:44 PM by Jamesman42 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1168 on: January 18, 2024, 01:17:57 PM »
2?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1169 on: January 18, 2024, 02:08:52 PM »
Yes sir!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1170 on: January 18, 2024, 02:16:30 PM »
I have no idea how Dredg sounds so I'll go with 7

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1171 on: January 18, 2024, 02:23:37 PM »
I have no idea how Dredg sounds so I'll go with 7

No sir. Also, The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion is a fantastic album, I highly recommend it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1172 on: January 18, 2024, 03:18:28 PM »
So 15 then.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1173 on: January 18, 2024, 05:38:13 PM »
Here it is yall!

Angel Vivaldi – Nine   Vmads   First song on the playlist, very excitable and groovy.
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds – Council Skies   stadler   I like how subdued this feels.
Skrillex – Supersonic (My Existence)   ReaperKK   I enjjjoyeddd this sonnng more than IIIII thought I Wwwoulddd
Jelusick – Follow the Blind Man   Tomislav   This has a big sound with a strong voice to lead the way.
Bear Ghost – Vulture   Ariich   A more interesting The Dear Hunter.
Ions – The Same As You   romdrums   Odd time signatures and lots of reverb, this is a cool sound.
Closure in Moscow – Better Way   Luke   Solid rock song, the instruments have some frenetic energy.
Dirt Poor Robins – You'll Never Hear It Coming   Litho   Sorta dark 80s vibe I think? I dug it.
Sufjan Stevens – Shit Talk   Sacul   Light and airy, middle section is great with the overlapping parts.
Midnight Odyssey – In the Lunar Maelstrom   Puppies   The aggression and atmosphere made an agreement to become one.
i/o – Peter Gabriel   faizoff   The chorus is the highlight of this piano-y song.
Advent Horizon – Water   King   This is refreshing rock/metal, first thought that came to my head. It has clean production, great passion, the energy is something else.
Coldbound – Skies Are Weeping   TAC   I liked the back and forth of the harsh and female vocals, and overall cool atmosphere.
Therewolf Media – Odd Jobs   jingle.boy   Video game jazz rock/metal, thems the vibes
Southern Empire – When You Return   lonestar   Sounds like dredg at first (pariah era) then it gets proggy.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1174 on: January 21, 2024, 10:57:59 AM »
I have some write-ups done and plan to have results tonight. Getting to my laptop this week has been near impossible except for a few minutes.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1175 on: January 21, 2024, 11:18:49 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1176 on: January 21, 2024, 01:38:32 PM »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1177 on: January 21, 2024, 05:38:54 PM »
:lol :lol

Within the hour, writing the last 6!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Round 8 Results!

Advent Horizon – Water   King   9   

This song is excellent, the intro is awesome, and then when the vocals come in - that is some next level stuff, really incredible mix of vocals and music blending together. The song goes on being great, really great progressive rock. The piano and guitar hold their parts well. The vocal lines around 3:00 are especially special. The production is not normally something I overtly care about, but in this song, it elevates it to the score you got, something about it is just that extra cherry on top.

Ions – The Same As You   romdrums   8.8   

The music in the beginning gives some Linkin Park vibes. I dug that synth and then it comes back in the chorus. The whole song has a cool feel to it, I don't know how to put it into words besides it reminds me of stuff I grew up in my late teens.

Southern Empire – When You Return   lonestar   8.8   

This song is so cool. I get some dredg vibes initially that then lead into some more rocking stuff, and really, the song kinda goes where it wants, rocking, chill, proggy. But it does it so well, it's a good journey.

Jelusick – Follow the Blind Man   Tomislav   8.7   

Nice mid-tempo song. The "follow the blind man" melody got stuck in my head more than I would've expected. The vocalist is really good for this as well. Lyrics were great, just a really well done song that I kept wanting to hear again.

Closure in Moscow – Better Way   Luke   8.7   

Yeah, love this sort of rock music. I have found various songs in this vein through sheer luck so another one is awesome. The emotional but still driving vocals on top of some good energy in the music.

Dirt Poor Robins – You'll Never Hear It Coming   Litho   8.7   

The music is really cool and open, 80s vibes are on (at least for me, is that correct?). The guitar solo is cool, and so is the little build-up right before it. I dug the vocals and overall vibe.

Angel Vivaldi – Nine   Vmads   8.6   

Short and fun song, and a nice opener to the playlist. Loved the guitar playing. The support underneath the guitar is just as good.

Therewolf Media – Odd Jobs   jingle.boy   8.6   

Kinda similar to Angel Vivaldi's song in my mind, though different but I get the same good vibes. The guitars toward the end that start really rocking are a nice release for such a short song. Really enjoyed this every time it came on.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds – Council Skies   stadler   8.5   

Stadler, you have a style, and it's like late summer vibes. I like it. I like when the instruments drop back and then come in again under the chorus. No noise, just a good tune.

Midnight Odyssey – In the Lunar Maelstrom   Puppies   8.5   

First, I didn't realize how long this song was - for shame, Puppies, for shame. But I'll give credit, until a few days ago I thought this was just a bit over 8 minutes because I enjoyed it. I am not much of a black/death metal guy, but ambient black metal is one of the exceptions. Feels progressive while just going where it wants.

Bear Ghost – Vulture   Ariich   8.4   

The Dear Hunter are a band I want to like more than I do. I find them just okay though the talent is all there. The exception is The Color Spectrum. I mention all this to give a backdrop - I enjoyed the intro, but the more TDH-ish parts are not where I like my music, and as those parts started creeping in, I found myself liking this less. Still good, just not as good as I was hoping after the intro. But I enjoyed this more than any Acts stuff I have heard.

Skrillex – Supersonic (My Existence)   ReaperKK   8.3   

I liked this song more than I thought I would, since I only knew one Skrillex song (Scary Monsters...). A few listens were on my way to work and that was the best use of this song, kind of just got me going for the day. Not a genre I am totally interested in, but I can get into every now and then. Hearing different variations of the main part was cool.

Sufjan Stevens – Shit Talk   Sacul   8.3   

For an 8 minute long song of an artist you've sent before and gotten low scores, this was much, much better. I liked the vibes here, the soft build-up, and the middle has some great intensity with the overlapping parts.

i/o – Peter Gabriel   faizoff   8.3   

Nice song with medium verses and a cool chorus. It was a chill song to lesson plan to. It wasn't enough to make me want more but it was good for what it was.

Coldbound – Skies Are Weeping   TAC   8.3   

If you were really wanting to send a song with harsh/growls, pretty good call here. I like when the harsh growls add atmosphere more often than not. The keyboard pads were cool here. Vocals bouncing off each other was nice job. Not always going to be a top song most likely, but I liked it.

Overall Impressions: Due to a busy week, I didn't realize just how kick-ass this playlist was. You all sent good stuff. I also think that harsh vocals are not my jam more often than not. Keep that in mind! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Standings
romdrums   78
Ariich   77.3
King Puppies   77.2
Tomislav95   77
TAC   77
lonestar   76.9
King Postwhore   76.6
LithoJazzoSphere   76.4
jingle.boy   76.1
faizoff   75.8
vmadera00   75.8
Stadler   75.6
ReaperKK   75.4
twosuitsluke   75.4
Sacul   74.6
Round 10, the final round, is here! Send me any song from 2015 through 2023! Get it by Tuesday!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent a 15 minute song for the last round.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Looks like results will be next month then :justjen

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fuck yeah! That album is amazing. James, check it out.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I will make it a goal!

I saw ariich has a post-roulette thing, is that him exploring artists more even though he is done? I want to do something like that with this thread, go back to artists I liked the most and talk about more discoveries.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
No chance in hell of winning? Here comes the Jmetal!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Hey James, are 2024 songs allowed?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Certainly a few 80s elements for sure.  Some more modern ones too, which gives them a bit more timeless and singular feel to me.  I've liked how they've expanded their sound of late to include more of this approach. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Stadler, you have a style, and it's like late summer vibes. I like it.

One of the nicest things anyone has every said to me!  :) :) :)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Hey James, are 2024 songs allowed?

I don't want to go that route, I want to discover the year in its own time.

Certainly a few 80s elements for sure.  Some more modern ones too, which gives them a bit more timeless and singular feel to me.  I've liked how they've expanded their sound of late to include more of this approach. 

That's cool, what are the more modern elements?

Stadler, you have a style, and it's like late summer vibes. I like it.

One of the nicest things anyone has every said to me!  :) :) :)

It's impressive how you pull those songs time and again, Mr. Late July.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a time limit on this final round?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is there a time limit on this final round?

Under 30 minutes.