Author Topic: The Official Chelsea Wolfe Thread V. She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She  (Read 1150 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's clear now she's heading towards a new album in the near future with the second single just coming out, so it's overdue time she gets her own thread here. 

Music video for the second single, "Whispers in the Echo Chamber"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0o2GraeMlo

Definitely leans somewhere inbetween the Pain Is Beauty electronics and ethereality and Abyss industrial/doom edge, certainly some NIN-ish elements. 

Audio for the first single, "Dusk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-ABKqCuKU

Turns out there is an album title/release date now.  The new album will be entitled She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She and released on February 9th.

For those who've never heard her, or maybe only heard a song or two, here's a playlist for a quick sampling of the range of sounds she does.  I might amend it later since I just got the idea since noticing the single is out and having the idea for an official thread, but it'll do for the moment.  She's easily been the single most important artist for the directions my taste has taken in the past half a dozen years since I discovered her. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Ll9peoFZAXW3yhHn7wrE8
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 04:12:09 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The Official Chelsea Wolfe Thread V. Whispers in the Echo Chamber
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 04:37:06 PM »
Music video for the newest single "Tunnel Lights". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTm1aClf-fg

Now this sounds like a modernized version of Portishead covering NIN. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Official Chelsea Wolfe Thread V. Tunnel Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 08:33:36 PM »
Need to listen to the first 2 singles but this last one sounds really promising.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The Official Chelsea Wolfe Thread V. Everything Turns Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 10:22:14 AM »
4th single "Everything Turns Blue".  There's no question at this point that this album is angling from the electronic side of her sound. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KJRuADHQE

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 10:55:31 AM »
Sounded nice, quite hyped for this one

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 04:10:56 AM »
The album is out.  As I hoped, I actually like the non-singles even better than the singles.  Early AOTY candidate.  In retrospect, she's kind of compartmentalizing each album a bit now.  Pain Is Beauty and Abyss had more of a mix of styles, whereas Unknown Rooms was the most folky, Mistake In Parting the closest to alt rock, Hiss Spun is her most metal album, Birth of Violence her most country, and now this is the most fully electronic one. 

Offline nick_z

Wow, first impression was great. Can't wait to give it more spins, but one song I had to listen to a second time already is Place in the Sun. Fantastic. Mesmerizing performance on that one...especially the section that starts with "Safe with the one...". Makes you wish it was longer!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't know it was out already, gonna have to give it a listen now :corn.

EDIT: Yeah it's really good, I dug it a lot on my first listen.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:10:04 PM by Sacul »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
one song I had to listen to a second time already is Place in the Sun. Fantastic. Mesmerizing performance on that one...especially the section that starts with "Safe with the one...". Makes you wish it was longer!

That might have been my least favorite on the first play, but I'll have to pay more attention to it on relistens. 

Offline nick_z

one song I had to listen to a second time already is Place in the Sun. Fantastic. Mesmerizing performance on that one...especially the section that starts with "Safe with the one...". Makes you wish it was longer!

That might have been my least favorite on the first play, but I'll have to pay more attention to it on relistens.

Well, there you have it   :lol  It's certainly a little more minimalistic than the rest, but something about that vocal melody really struck me

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
To be fair, it's like the least tasty bite of a good Germanchökolätekäke, there's really no such thing. 

Offline nick_z

You have a point  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
So I just listened to this, and my first thought is that it's pretty incredible.

I liked everything about it.

Is the rest of her stuff in this vein at all? Or is this a major departure in any way?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's the most she's gone in that direction so far.  There are a decent number of tracks on Pain Is Beauty and Abyss that also hit on elements of the same sound.  But in general she has quite a range of stylistic diversity depending on the album and song.  I could see you potentially liking Birth of Violence, which hits more of her gothic country/folk side.  If you have time I'd give a listen to the playlist I put in the OP, which is eight songs which touch on different styles she's incorporated over the years. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
BTW, while interest in her is likely to be at a relative peak with a new album just having dropped, I want to highlight a track from her actual first album, Mistake In Parting, which probably not even a lot of her fans have heard.  She's disowned that album, feeling it's too different from what she would go on to do later, but I think that's a mistake, as it has some really good music on it.  And while I love how she douses her voice in effects later on quite frequently, it's also nice to just hear it more normally as well.  This is my favorite track on the debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auk6c8nRVhA

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
It's the most she's gone in that direction so far.  There are a decent number of tracks on Pain Is Beauty and Abyss that also hit on elements of the same sound.  But in general she has quite a range of stylistic diversity depending on the album and song.  I could see you potentially liking Birth of Violence, which hits more of her gothic country/folk side.  If you have time I'd give a listen to the playlist I put in the OP, which is eight songs which touch on different styles she's incorporated over the years.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Acoustic "live" version of "Dusk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1t0fYl3-Kk

While one of my favorite things about a lot of her work is all the layers and production details, it's also great to see how she can also strip one of the songs down to the bare minimum, and make a single guitar, single vocal performance with little post-processing still work well.