Author Topic: A WAY TOO EARLY reunion tour setlist fantasy thread  (Read 8022 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Re: A WAY TOO EARLY reunion tour setlist fantasy thread
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2023, 10:23:56 PM »
First off, I mostly really like your set list, with the exception of Wither (which I don't know why anyone in their right mind would ever want to see played live).  But if I were to critique it:
-Home is not a set opener.  Great song.  But not as an opener.
-If you are taking James struggling into account, Voices, Metropolis, and The Killing Hand are not great choices (great songs in and of themselves though).
-Nobody really wants a keyboard solo.

But that said, I again like the general direction.  And I especially like Octavarium as the closer.  I think Mike really liked playing it.  And as I mentioned elsewhere awhile back, JP sounded pretty enthusiastic about doing it at some point when I mentioned it to him a little while back.  Honestly, if they're going to find space in the set for a longer epic, and the next album doesn't have one, I think Octavarium might be a very likely choice.  And I've been lobbying for ITNOG and Misunderstood to come back for a while now too.

Agree with your thoughts on Wither.  However, I do think Home is an OUTSTANDING opener. Has a slow burn intro that eventually transitions into that classic BOM BOM, headbaging, cell phone waving kind of power anthem that would have fans going wild.

Offline TerryTT

« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2023, 12:22:11 PM »
Here is mine ;D

With opening act:
Threshold

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Fall Into The Light
Space-Dye Vest
Peruvian Skies
The Root of All Evil
Eve
Through Her Eyes
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress
ENCORE
Wait For Sleep/Learning To Live

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2023, 01:12:40 PM »
No dream set of mine includes the 12SS.

Your lips say no, but your eyes say yes, Tim.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2023, 03:13:14 PM »
No dream set of mine includes the 12SS.

Your lips say no, but your eyes say yes, Tim.

Wait...are we married or something?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline birchbark

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2024, 03:15:18 PM »
My fantasy would be for them to change the setlist every night, with maybe a few songs they play each show. I would really like to see:

-Octavarium
-Scarred
-Under a Glass Moon
-Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu
-A B-side like Cover my Eyes or To Live Forever

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2024, 05:39:16 AM »
I would think that we're getting Dance of Eternity again, what with both MP and JR playing their parts recently online. I'm not complaining.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2024, 07:00:35 AM »
I would think that we're getting Dance of Eternity again, what with both MP and JR playing their parts recently online. I'm not complaining.

James isn't complaining either ;D

(meant as an innocent joke about adding an instrumental to the set, not a dig at him)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »

James isn't complaining either ;D

(meant as an innocent joke about adding an instrumental to the set, not a dig at him)

Aww, it's ok I get it   :biggrin:

Actually he likely needs the breaks (see current voice geek thread), and would probably welcome them.

It may be the healthiest thing for not only James's vocal longevity but for the band overall. They could concentrate on what they do best, and hopefully avoid any internal drama over the state of his voice.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2024, 11:21:10 AM »
instrumedley would be cool to come back, leave out Scenes completely

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #184 on: February 29, 2024, 06:56:11 AM »
Ignoring what James is actually capable of, this is what I'd like if it was all songs I've never experienced live (seen 'em 9 times):

The Alien
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Lifting Shadows
Scarred
Ytse Jam
The Count of Tuscany
intermission
The Killing Hand
Surrender to Reason
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
S2N
Only a Matter of Time
Illumination Theory (encore)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:44:06 AM by Dream Team »

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #185 on: February 29, 2024, 07:08:44 AM »
The Killing Hand

😭😭😭 Would LOVE to have been there to hear James sing this live in his prime!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #186 on: February 29, 2024, 07:47:50 AM »
I haven't seen many of their songs live, but I have seen quite a bit now. The Count has to be one of the best. Those first 3 notes, sets an emotion that this song, though not really an emotional one with its lyrics, that lasts in its entirety. It showcases JP in the middle and he can do some different things there as he has done. Its in a good range for James. The crowd can sing.
They could play this every tour and I wouldn't get bored with it. I saw it the last 6 shows, and was was fabulous each time.
Its also my son's number 1 DT song. He wasn't spoiled when we saw The Veiw tour, and watching his reaction with those first 3 notes..So good.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #187 on: February 29, 2024, 07:53:50 AM »
I haven't seen many of their songs live, but I have seen quite a bit now. The Count has to be one of the best. Those first 3 notes, sets an emotion that this song, though not really an emotional one with its lyrics, that lasts in its entirety. It showcases JP in the middle and he can do some different things there as he has done. Its in a good range for James. The crowd can sing.
They could play this every tour and I wouldn't get bored with it. I saw it the last 6 shows, and was was fabulous each time.
Its also my son's number 1 DT song. He wasn't spoiled when we saw The Veiw tour, and watching his reaction with those first 3 notes..So good.

💯 !!!!! Agreeing with everything here, especially the sentences in bold. It's my husband's #1 DT song too (and in my top 5/top 10). I really do hope they keep it around.

Regarding how it works well for James, I can't agree more. Just the other day I was thinking how it's more strophic, telling a story, and lyrical, rather than having like ten high F's. It's perfect. These are the songs he should be singing. BAI fits these criteria, too.