Author Topic: A WAY TOO EARLY reunion tour setlist fantasy thread  (Read 8004 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: A WAY TOO EARLY reunion tour setlist fantasy thread
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2023, 12:01:09 PM »
The problem is that if they restrict themselves for time purposes to represent each album, they're going to have to forgo a lot of the big fan favorite epics just to make sure each album gets a song. I would personally rather hear something like Lost Not Forgotten and Surrender to Reason instead of the shorter tracks even if it means nothing else from the Mangini era. I hope the focus of the 40th anniversary tour is less trying to get every album in there and more on trying to bring out a once in a lifetime type of setlist.

Just looking at past precedent, I fear Out of Reach never getting played.  But I think the others are solid choices.  Honestly, I'd love a set list that included those 5, and almost wouldn't even care what the rest of the set looked like.
What precedent?

In observing how the band have tended to construct their sets through the years, "precedent" in terms of the types of things they generally seem to consider.  So, as relevant here, two things:  (1) With a few exceptions, deep cuts from the Mangini era albums that aren't played on their album tours have not done well in terms of representation on subsequent tours.  (2) With a VERY small number of exceptions, "ballads" don't tend to come back on subsequent tours.  And given that rock bands of just about all stripes tend to want to keep the energy of their live shows up, there is only a very limited amount of space in a given set for ballads/softer songs.  Although Out of Reach is a true standout song from d/t, I don't think anyone in the band feels a particularly strong connection with that song as far as I am aware, so I don't see it winning out over others in competing for that limited set list space. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
The problem is that if they restrict themselves for time purposes to represent each album, they're going to have to forgo a lot of the big fan favorite epics just to make sure each album gets a song. I would personally rather hear something like Lost Not Forgotten and Surrender to Reason instead of the shorter tracks even if it means nothing else from the Mangini era. I hope the focus of the 40th anniversary tour is less trying to get every album in there and more on trying to bring out a once in a lifetime type of setlist.

Just looking at past precedent, I fear Out of Reach never getting played.  But I think the others are solid choices.  Honestly, I'd love a set list that included those 5, and almost wouldn't even care what the rest of the set looked like.
What precedent?

In observing how the band have tended to construct their sets through the years, "precedent" in terms of the types of things they generally seem to consider.  So, as relevant here, two things:  (1) With a few exceptions, deep cuts from the Mangini era albums that aren't played on their album tours have not done well in terms of representation on subsequent tours.  (2) With a VERY small number of exceptions, "ballads" don't tend to come back on subsequent tours.  And given that rock bands of just about all stripes tend to want to keep the energy of their live shows up, there is only a very limited amount of space in a given set for ballads/softer songs.  Although Out of Reach is a true standout song from d/t, I don't think anyone in the band feels a particularly strong connection with that song as far as I am aware, so I don't see it winning out over others in competing for that limited set list space.
Makes sense. I think (1) is going to be the biggest determinant here. When Portnoy left the band, there were only three unplayed songs that had appeared on a studio album and two of those had been on the most recent studio album (and it did not take long for two of the three to be played live in the Mangini era). With Mangini's departure, if my count is correct, there are 7 songs including The Best of Times. It's not a huge number for most bands' standards (really for 15 studio albums it's actually really impressive), but it's enough where it's not hard to imagine that a few of these will probably fall through the tracks. It also doesn't really seem like any of them really have any sort of cult status the way Space Dye Vest did, although Surrender to Reason seems to come up a lot around here. Since they already weren't really big on Mangini deep cuts to begin with, it seems less likely now unless Portnoy's obsessive "we have to play everything" tendencies extend to the albums he didn't play on, which is probably an open question right now. That's probably the best bet though.

It's definitely true that ballads are even more challenging to incorporate into a DT setlist. Unless they do some acoustic shows like in the FII era (unlikely) or something akin to the stripped down portion of the ADTOE set (more likely, and maybe a good idea for James' voice), it seems hard to see where Out of Reach would actually fit in a DT set.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
I for one would LOVE an acoustic tour, if only for them to actually play Out of Reach. It's one of my favorites. Would be a good chance to air out some other ballady type stuff that hasn't been back in a long while (Take Away My Pain, Far From Heaven, Beneath the Surface, Silent Man, Wither, etc...)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2023, 09:58:08 AM »
Given the news of Charlie Dominici's passing today, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a WDADU song the next tour in honor of him.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2023, 11:20:58 AM »
Yeah. Probably and possibly Afterlife will be played.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline H2

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2023, 02:05:10 PM »
Anyway, I took a shot at creating a hypothetical set list that abides by the following guidelines:  (1) Hits every studio album; (2) is focused more on "hits"/popular songs; and (3) is focused on shorter songs, whenever possible.  Here is what I came up with:

A Fortune in Lies
Pull Me Under
Lie (aside from the fact that I just like it, it hasn't been played much in awhile and fits the above criteria nicely)
Just Let Me Breathe
One Last Time (I struggled with which song to pull from this album.  I think they would go with the tried and true TSCO, but I thought I would try a different direction)
VI Solitary Shell
As I Am
Panic Attack
Forsaken
Wither (even though I don't care for it, it's perfect for a set that needs "ballads" and needs something short from an album full of long songs)
Beneath the Surface (unlikely, but I was going for "short" and "ballad," and having 2 ballady songs back to back is a pretty DT thing to do, so I think it works)
Looking Glass
Our New World
S2N  (OK, yeah, I went with a deeper cut here rather than one of the songs they did a video for and gave the "single" treatment.  I think that's fine here since I don't think any of those four songs really were even a blip on the music industry's radar.  But I wouldn't be surprised by any of them, and they are about the same length.)
The Alien

Encore:  Learning To Live

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was surprised to see that that is short of 2 hours, and would probably be right at about 2 hours with a typical length intro tape.  If we factor in a 15-20 minute intermission, there's still space to change some of those with slightly longer songs and add in some from a new album, depending on length.  Something like the above is pretty doable.  And given the three criteria I layed out above, combined with how doable that would likely be for James in a 3-hour set, and my guesses about the band members' willingness to play them, I think that's just about as likely a set as any for this type of format.

Definitely see the feel behind each of your choices here. I'd argue for these amendments:
1. Throw in "Another Won".  We're basically doing a Score-esque concert, right, going through the chronology, and this is the best of the Majesty songs and is pretty good IMO.
2. "Lifting Shadows" instead of "Lie".  "Lie" just doesn't seem to fit the style of DT across their career, and we're going for anthems, kinda, where "Lifting Shadows" fits. Also the title of that one biography, right?
3. "Just Let Me Breathe" is just so bad, sorry.  "Hollow Years" with the solo is awesome but might not be the right call, as it's been done and revisited before.  "Peruvian Skies" might work.
4. "Beyond This Life" for SFAM is better than "One Last Time", especially if they throw in the jazzy freeform interlude, and your setlist has the minutes to spare for it.
5. "Beneath the Surface" is a little too niche and Eve-esque I feel to belong here, although I do like it.  Maybe I'd use "Outcry" instead.
6. "Our New World" is a natural pick, even though I don't personally feel it's that impressionable. I'd probably pick "Three Days" for something a little out there but iconic from the album.
7. "Barstool Warrior" instead of "S2N" I think for an anthem.
8. Encore as "Learning to Live"?  I do like it, it's short and sweet, but live nowadays kinda falls flat due to James' vocal range, we can't even get the main climax of the song anymore.  Hard to think of an alternative though..."Metropolis" is so cliche. "Change of Seasons" / "Octavarium" / etc are too long.  Maybe "Finally Free" would work here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 02:10:43 PM by H2 »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2023, 05:44:10 PM »
Definitely think Afterlife is a lock for next tour (I wouldn't mind Status Seeker but it's probably a bit too much of a deepcut). I was already predicting some WDADU representation but was expecting YtseJam instead. Feels like the right time to bring back some WDADU tracks anyway - the band has hardly touched the album since Portnoy left and Afterlife was only played on that short festival run.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
I need The Killing Hand.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2023, 04:09:40 AM »
I need The Killing Hand.

YES, omg. With the high A flat 😍

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2023, 07:46:34 AM »
I need The Killing Hand.

YES, omg. With the high A flat 😍
Hope springs eternal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2023, 01:32:37 PM »
I would just like to hear The Glass Prison and Blind Faith since it’s the two songs I want to hear and haven’t heard them play live.

I’d also like to hear Voices but I think they ship may have sailed for JLB pulling that one off.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2023, 09:47:30 PM »
Call me quaint, but I was picturing them playing Metropolis Part 1 live with MP again and... that would actually get me out of the house and buying a ticket? I know they practically play it in their sleep (and most of the forum probably feels the same), but wow. What a tune.

Online Progmaniac1988

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2023, 08:31:39 AM »
First time post after years of lerking. So hello all, I’m personally super excited to have Portnoy back. He was my inspiration when I was a kid, and I have a soft spot for the Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Rudess, and Labrie line up. Saw that line up countless times and the magic really was something special. Here’s a set list I think would be great. Obviously some new songs from DT16 will be played so it’ll change a bit. This is if it’s an evening with your.

Set 1

1 - 6:00
2 - Beyond This Life
3 - I Walk Beside You
4 - Afterlife (with respects to Charlie)
5 - On The Backs Of Angels
6 - Honor Thy Father
7 - Take the Time
8 - Burning my soul (original version with Hell’s Kitchen instrumental section)
9 - Octavarium

Set 2

12 steps suite,
1 - The Glass Prison
2 - This Dying Soul
3 - The Root Of All Evil
4 - Repentance
5 - The Shattered Fortress
6 - The Best Of Times

Encore

7 - A Change Of Seasons

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2023, 08:38:21 AM »
First time post after years of lerking. So hello all, I’m personally super excited to have Portnoy back. He was my inspiration when I was a kid, and I have a soft spot for the Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Rudess, and Labrie line up. Saw that line up countless times and the magic really was something special. Here’s a set list I think would be great. Obviously some new songs from DT16 will be played so it’ll change a bit. This is if it’s an evening with your.

Set 1

2 - Beyond This Life
3 - I Walk Beside You
6 - Honor Thy Father
7 - Take the Time
9 - Octavarium

Set 2

12 steps suite,
1 - The Glass Prison
2 - This Dying Soul
3 - The Root Of All Evil
4 - Repentance
6 - The Best Of Times

Encore

7 - A Change Of Seasons
Welcome to the forum!

Online Progmaniac1988

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2023, 09:03:24 AM »

Set 1

2 - Beyond This Life
3 - I Walk Beside You
6 - Honor Thy Father
7 - Take the Time
9 - Octavarium

Set 2

12 steps suite,
1 - The Glass Prison
2 - This Dying Soul
3 - The Root Of All Evil
4 - Repentance
6 - The Best Of Times

Encore

7 - A Change Of Seasons
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks man!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2023, 09:01:42 PM »
Metropolis, Pt. 1 (can't really be anything else)
Forsaken (Kinda underrated)
Blind Faith (I can dream, no?)
Lost Not Forgotten (Cool song, haven't seen it)
The Bigger Picture (Top Tier DT Song)
Afterlife (Out of respect)
Stream of Consciousness (Top Tier DT song)
The Ministry of Lost Souls (I missed this coming back out again)

----

(You know it's happening, and I want an hour solid of metal)
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress
Eve (I want to meme this into existence)
Octavarium (The best DT song)

----

Pull Me Under (can't really be anything else)

----

No scenes because I saw that show with Mangini. Don't need to see it again that bad

Would probably swap Afterline with another Mangini song, but, again, respect
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »
Metropolis, Pt.1
Afterlife
The Alien
Stream of Consciousness
Pull Me Under (Down 1/2 step)
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
The Spirit Carries On
Finally Free

--Intermission--

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress

Encore: Octavarium

Offline heirtoruin

• Drummer, Scientist, Teacher, Cook, Parent, Husband
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2023, 03:07:26 PM »
If I could pick an evening with setlist, I would go with...

A Change of Seasons
The Glass Prison (starting at 1:45, skip intro)
The Gift of Music
Afterlife (for Charlie)
6:00
Hell's Kitchen
Trial of Tears
------
The Count of Tuscany
Beyond This Life (extended Zappa jam?)
Misunderstood
Stream of Consciousness
Hollow Years
Metropolis 1
Pull Me Under
------
Space Dye Vest
Octavarium

Maybe a bit long, but if I choose the set I got to see, this would be it. I'd really like to add LTL but damn, it's already pushing 3:30. Tried to plug in a couple instrumentals, one MM track, and got most MP albums in except SC.

"Now we must focus on many things." ~Dr. Robert K. Yu (1938-2022)

https://silo1.bandcamp.com

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2023, 06:20:46 AM »
New album in full

----
the glass prison
Blind faith
disappear
strange deja vu

Octavarium

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2023, 08:39:33 AM »
I will preface this by saying I am not in favor of them doing any more anniversary tours for albums or anything like that, but...considering how underplayed it is in general over the years, it would be awesome to see them do shows where they play all five songs from Disc 1 from Six Degrees. How killer of a set would that be?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2023, 08:44:03 AM »
I will preface this by saying I am not in favor of them doing any more anniversary tours for albums or anything like that, but...considering how underplayed it is in general over the years, it would be awesome to see them do shows where they play all five songs from Disc 1 from Six Degrees. How killer of a set would that be?

It'd kill the set, that's for sure.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2023, 08:45:57 AM »

I never had a problem with them playing a suite of songs like they did on the DT12 tour. So if they want to start their second set with a run of TGP, BF, and Misunderstood, I'd be fine with that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2023, 09:55:54 AM »

I never had a problem with them playing a suite of songs like they did on the DT12 tour. So if they want to start their second set with a run of TGP, BF, and Misunderstood, I'd be fine with that.

Agree.  If they go beyond the first three songs, that'd suck hard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »
Nah, y'all are crazy.

I can't stand The Great Debate, but I would still love that show.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2023, 08:12:02 PM »

It would be amazing. This is the only material from SDOIT I care to see live anymore.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2023, 08:15:46 PM »
Disappear would be nice to see live.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »
Disappear would be nice to see live.
I agree, but I almost bet that we had a better chance of seeing it before MP came back.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2023, 01:36:45 PM »
I’ve honestly been trying to figure out what my “dream set” would be with MP back. And beyond the 12SS and dusting off ACOS, I can’t think of a thing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2023, 02:08:49 PM »
I’ve honestly been trying to figure out what my “dream set” would be with MP back. And beyond the 12SS and dusting off ACOS, I can’t think of a thing.

While probably in the middle of the pack studio wise, I'd put Endless Sacrifice on mine. It's great live tune, and watching MP play it is a blast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »
No dream set of mine includes the 12SS.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2023, 02:38:07 PM »
I’ve honestly been trying to figure out what my “dream set” would be with MP back.
My dream DT set would be my dream DT set, regardless of who was playing drums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2023, 04:01:56 PM »
No dream set of mine includes the 12SS.

Yup.

I’ve honestly been trying to figure out what my “dream set” would be with MP back.
My dream DT set would be my dream DT set, regardless of who was playing drums.

Also yup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2023, 07:28:08 PM »
Alright, I've caved in. I've been critical of the song Octavarium but now even I want to hear it on the next tour lol.

I have a feeling this is going to happen, too.