Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132379 times)

Chino and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2625 on: January 07, 2024, 04:28:05 AM »
I think DT is just one of those bands that have so many fans with big personalities and preferences that a portion will always be unhappy. This didn’t just happen with MP returning. It Happened when He initially quit. That man got SO much shit from his fans. Some people were borderline psychotic to the guy. MM had a very hard time when he first joined. At the time 80% would not accept the loss of Portnoy. Now MM was with DT 13 years, long enough to get his own loyal following. So now many of that group is unhappy with Portnoy returning, but Many fans like myself are excited about it. Hell some people still want Kevin Moore back still to this day. Which I personally don’t ever want. Rudess all the way! Point is this band is polarizing! Us fans will always have our opinions, but the fact is DT belongs to the members of the band not the fans. It belongs to DT and they can choose to continue however they want because they are making the music not the fans. So I think we should just respect their decision and wait for the new album before we draw conclusions. I for one am so excited for this line up to be back at it! Nearly 40 years of DT guys. It’s time celebrate not to fight. All of us here have one thing in common, we all adore this band one way or another. So let’s just be excited on what’s to come. Sorry if that went on a bit!

He did??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2626 on: January 07, 2024, 04:32:28 AM »
I don't understand people taking this so personally.  Who cares how it played out.  DT is a business as much as it is a band and a group of mates.  This classic lineup is untouched. It's great to have it back.

Sucks for MM but why cry for him?  Would he care if any of us lost our jobs?  I think not.

I won't speak for anyone else who is expressing dissatisfaction but in my case I am actually solely 100% disappointed about the difference this is going to make in the musical product. In terms of the music I think Mangini made this band a F1 race car and that for 12 years you had 4 instrumentalists operating on the exact same plane at the highest level in the business. Now we are going back to the old line up which is certainly not that, though it is still a good product. That's really the only thing I care about. I&W and ACoS aside, DT with MM was the best progressive metal music I've ever heard.

We Mangini enthusiasts are having a moment to express our disappointment - the same way thousands of people did when MP left and did not stop until he eventually came back 13 years later. At the end of the day the new music will either make it all better or not and life will go on. This is still fresh and in a weird kind of way it is fun to speculate on what happened. However at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and the only thing that matters is whether DT16, 17 and 18 have any pudding.

Fair enough.  I think the opposite.  I think the band hasn't quite been the same during the whole MM era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2627 on: January 07, 2024, 04:38:48 AM »

Sucks for MM but why cry for him?  Would he care if any of us lost our jobs?  I think not.

This is something my wife would say. :lol

You married a smart lady.

I know it's not like for like but we have zero control or influence on this so I just can't can't behind any wasted energy as Bill said. 

MM is a big boy, he will be fine.  We need not worry about him. 

If we do treat DT as a business, trust me, like any job, you can get fucked over no matter good you are.  It's life. 

If you don't like the outcome of this, thats too bad but to be upset about specifics behind it or the way it may have played out (which we still don't fully know), that's just kind of pointless in my honest opinion.

(Besides the first line, none of that is aimed at you lol)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2628 on: January 07, 2024, 04:57:18 AM »
I don't understand people taking this so personally.  Who cares how it played out.  DT is a business as much as it is a band and a group of mates.  This classic lineup is untouched. It's great to have it back.

Does no one understand the idea of being disappointed by your heroes? When you think they are some of the most intelligent and upstanding people and then they do something shitty to another person? I know this is partially my problem for idealizing them in the first place which is the only "personal" part in this; but the other part is that they did it. And if it were simply a business decision like some here speculate, I'd like to know in what universe nepotism (in this case changing the band lineup so the wives can hang out - really??) is an ok thing.

I'm sure I'll forgive them and get over it in time, but it's gonna take me a while.

I won't speak for anyone else who is expressing dissatisfaction but in my case I am actually solely 100% disappointed about the difference this is going to make in the musical product. In terms of the music I think Mangini made this band a F1 race car and that for 12 years you had 4 instrumentalists operating on the exact same plane at the highest level in the business. Now we are going back to the old line up which is certainly not that, though it is still a good product. That's really the only thing I care about. I&W and ACoS aside, DT with MM was the best progressive metal music I've ever heard.

SO much this!!!

We Mangini enthusiasts are having a moment to express our disappointment - the same way thousands of people did when MP left and did not stop until he eventually came back 13 years later. At the end of the day the new music will either make it all better or not and life will go on.

THANK YOU

This is still fresh and in a weird kind of way it is fun to speculate on what happened. However at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and the only thing that matters is whether DT16, 17 and 18 have any pudding.

Time will tell indeed. And I do hope it is as you say and that the new music will make it better. And if not, then oh well, there are plenty of other great bands out there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 05:03:41 AM by crystalstars17 »
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: January 07, 2024, 05:08:59 AM »
Why is it shitty?  It's a business choice they made to improve their brand.  Being a good loyal upstanding person doesn't get you anywhere, and again DT is their business.  I'm sure you've made decisions in your life others have viewed as shitty also. 

You're putting them into categories far beyond what should be expected of them.  FWIW, I personally don't see an issue with the whole situation.  MM must have always known it was a possibility at some point.  I can 100% get behind JP for the decision made here.  I think you need to look at it from a different perspective.

Plus, you're treating them like the are cold hearted and rang MM one day and said, "start putting your kit in the car pal, you're gone."  We simply don't know the specifics and it's unfair to say they are being assholes for this when we know nothing on what has gone on behind the scenes.

Online gborland

« Reply #2630 on: January 07, 2024, 05:12:21 AM »
However at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and the only thing that matters is whether DT16, 17 and 18 have any pudding.

The correct saying is the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The proof is in the pudding makes no sense.
Graham Borland

Online gborland

« Reply #2631 on: January 07, 2024, 05:15:08 AM »
This has been the least dramatic, least controversial, least surprising lineup change in the entire history of rock music. Even MM himself, as the guy who has had to make way, has said that the change makes sense and he accepts it.

Again, all the drama here exists solely in the minds of a tiny number of people on the internet.
Graham Borland

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2632 on: January 07, 2024, 05:40:05 AM »
However at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and the only thing that matters is whether DT16, 17 and 18 have any pudding.

Technically, both are correct.

Generally, the expressions are used to say that the real worth, success, or effectiveness of something can only be determined by putting it to the test by trying or using it, appearances and promises aside—just as the best test of a pudding is to eat it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/wordplay/origin-of-the-proof-is-in-the-pudding-meaning
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2633 on: January 07, 2024, 05:53:47 AM »
Plus, you're treating them like the are cold hearted and rang MM one day and said, "start putting your kit in the car pal, you're gone."  We simply don't know the specifics and it's unfair to say they are being assholes for this when we know nothing on what has gone on behind the scenes.

Point taken, but until they are at the very least forthcoming about the fact that upon MM's hire the so-called inevitability of MP's return was a foregone conclusion that he was initially informed about, it's not a great look. But as you say maybe a different perspective is necessary, and MM's gracious reaction could indicate that he was in fact prepared for this from the get go. Honestly it's the only thing that makes sense all the way around.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2634 on: January 07, 2024, 06:00:20 AM »
Has there ever been any documentated case in rock n' roll history of a replacement being told he was a place holder for when the classic / fan favorite member would eventually come back? who would even accept the job if one of the first things being told was "listen, you know that Portnoy was a classic member and so one day there might be a reunion"?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: January 07, 2024, 06:18:04 AM »

Point taken, but until they are at the very least forthcoming about the fact that upon MM's hire the so-called inevitability of MP's return was a foregone conclusion that he was initially informed about, it's not a great look. But as you say maybe a different perspective is necessary, and MM's gracious reaction could indicate that he was in fact prepared for this from the get go. Honestly it's the only thing that makes sense all the way around.

They won't be forthcoming on that because no such discussion would have taken place.

Cheers for taking some points on board though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2636 on: January 07, 2024, 06:49:28 AM »

I have never in my life heard the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I've only heard The proof is in the pudding. Maybe it's just the Americanized version..I don't know.

This is something my wife would say. :lol

You married a smart lady.

I know it's not like for like but we have zero control or influence on this so I just can't can't behind any wasted energy as Bill said. 

MM is a big boy, he will be fine.  We need not worry about him. 

If we do treat DT as a business, trust me, like any job, you can get fucked over no matter good you are.  It's life. 

If you don't like the outcome of this, thats too bad but to be upset about specifics behind it or the way it may have played out (which we still don't fully know), that's just kind of pointless in my honest opinion.

(Besides the first line, none of that is aimed at you lol)

:lol

I know! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2637 on: January 07, 2024, 07:05:40 AM »

@Crystalstars....I would say that if your intense DT fandom revolves around the MM Era, then I totally understand you being bummed out about it. A lot of people felt that way when MP left. It does feel like losing....something.
And if you can't talk about it here, where can you?

Dream Theater is my favorite band not just because of the music, but I have a belief that the guys I'm rooting for are relatively decent people. While MM may have always considered it a possibility that MP would return, I know he did not....expect it...now.
Even though, and we'll say JP for simplification but representative of the band, decided to bring MP back/let MM go, I cannot imagine how difficult that must've been for them. I mean the decision is a boil it down cut and dry could be construed as cold hearted, but it was certainly a tough decision I'm sure, and I respect them for making what they thought they had to do. I haven't lost respect for JP and the guys over it. I know Mangini was disappointed, but he has come off as quite appreciative.

I love MM, I've met him, and he seems like a great guy, and he's a wonderful character to have in your favorite band, and yes, him not being there is disappointing. I feel it too. While I think the band slipped in some areas as time went on, music was NOT one of them. Playing was NOT one of them.

I expect to continue to enjoy the band's music and playing as we go. And I also expect them to continue to be my favorite band.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2638 on: January 07, 2024, 07:16:15 AM »
Has there ever been any documentated case in rock n' roll history of a replacement being told he was a place holder for when the classic / fan favorite member would eventually come back? who would even accept the job if one of the first things being told was "listen, you know that Portnoy was a classic member and so one day there might be a reunion"?

I do not know and others here will be far more qualified to answer that (my brief interaction with the music business was in the classical world, which works a bit differently). My only experience with going through this as a fan prior to this has been with bands whose members actually quit by their own choice (and often with good reasons, like family/career change/etc) or if there was a falling out of any kind (which I know doesn't apply here) it was long in the past and before my time/before I was a fan. So it's my first experience with this in real time with a band that I'm actively following at the time it's happening that does not involve the free will of the member in question (Disclaimer: we still don't really know). I also know that doesn't excuse me from being a bit hard to take at times, for which I am sorry. It's not an easy thing to process, as the many who were there 13 years ago admit.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2639 on: January 07, 2024, 07:22:32 AM »
@Crystalstars....I would say that if your intense DT fandom revolves around the MM Era, then I totally understand you being bummed out about it. A lot of people felt that way when MP left. It does feel like losing....something.
And if you can't talk about it here, where can you?

Thank you for this acknowledgement, and your entire post.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: January 07, 2024, 08:00:22 AM »

I have never in my life heard the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I've only heard The proof is in the pudding. Maybe it's just the Americanized version..I don't know.

The full version in British English is indeed 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. It does often get shortened, however, to 'the proof is in the pudding'.

There :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2641 on: January 07, 2024, 08:01:59 AM »
Makes sense. I figured as much.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2642 on: January 07, 2024, 08:26:29 AM »
This has been the least dramatic, least controversial, least surprising lineup change in the entire history of rock music. Even MM himself, as the guy who has had to make way, has said that the change makes sense and he accepts it.

Again, all the drama here exists solely in the minds of a tiny number of people on the internet.

Regardless of how dramatic, controversial or surprising it is not, there are some of us who prefer MM's musical contributions. We aren't creating 'drama' - at least not any more than MP fans did for 12 years until they finally lobbied the band long and hard enough to bring their idol back (disclaimer: the bolded statement is purely my own opinion). We are simply expressing our disappointment that the music is going to revert back stylistically to an era that ended with 3 consecutive mediocre albums. This too shall pass (although it never did for the MP die hards) but expecting everyone to just get on with it because it is allegedly so expected and uncontroversial is silly.

And as far as MM's reaction....what do you expect him to say? He has always been a classy guy and it serves him no purpose to say anything negative. He understands that in business you do not burn bridges.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2643 on: January 07, 2024, 08:33:14 AM »
Regardless of how dramatic, controversial or surprising it is not, there are some of us who prefer MM's musical contributions. We aren't creating 'drama' - at least not any more than MP fans did for 12 years until they finally lobbied the band long and hard enough to bring their idol back (disclaimer: the bolded statement is purely my own opinion). We are simply expressing our disappointment that the music is going to revert back stylistically to an era that ended with 3 consecutive mediocre albums. This too shall pass (although it never did for the MP die hards) but expecting everyone to just get on with it because it is allegedly so expected and uncontroversial is silly.

And as far as MM's reaction....what do you expect him to say? He has always been a classy guy and it serves him no purpose to say anything negative. He understands that in business you do not burn bridges.

Well said 👏👏👏

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: January 07, 2024, 09:06:47 AM »
We are simply expressing our disappointment that the music is going to revert back stylistically to an era that ended with 3 consecutive mediocre albums.

Well... shit, goddamn, fuck. I must have missed that interview.

Although delighted to hear my 'lobbying' resulted in MP being back in DT. I'd have preferred to have made a difference through my climate change protests but hey, I'll take what I can get.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2645 on: January 07, 2024, 11:20:16 AM »
We are simply expressing our disappointment that the music is going to revert back stylistically to an era that ended with 3 consecutive mediocre albums.

The first of those "3 consecutive mediocre albums" is my favorite album by them. :lol DT fans are all over the damn place with their opinions on which parts of their career are the best, so it's no wonder people are split between preferring the MP and MM eras.

Also, I'm not holding my breath that just because MP is back in the band, we're suddenly going to get an album that would sound like their 11th album if MP had never left. For the other four members in the band, the stylistic shift that their music underwent over the past 10+ years won't be that easy to just throw out. And it's not like Portnoy's tastes have remained in a vacuum all that time, either. Everyone's in a different place now, both musically and personally. And while the band's new music might be closer to the music of the MP era, anyone who's banking on it to revert to exactly how it was before may want to brace themselves for disappointment.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• PR permission
« Reply #2646 on: January 07, 2024, 11:40:55 AM »

The first of those "3 consecutive mediocre albums" is my favorite album by them. :lol DT fans are all over the damn place with their opinions on which parts of their career are the best, so it's no wonder people are split between preferring the MP and MM eras.

Also, I'm not holding my breath that just because MP is back in the band, we're suddenly going to get an album that would sound like their 11th album if MP had never left. For the other four members in the band, the stylistic shift that their music underwent over the past 10+ years won't be that easy to just throw out. And it's not like Portnoy's tastes have remained in a vacuum all that time, either. Everyone's in a different place now, both musically and personally. And while the band's new music might be closer to the music of the MP era, anyone who's banking on it to revert to exactly how it was before may want to brace themselves for disappointment.

Ain't it the truth lol. Every album has something different to offer so I think that is part of it. You're probably right that they're in different places musically now. I just think that MP is going to play the exact same stuff that he did then.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2647 on: January 07, 2024, 01:11:59 PM »
And if it were simply a business decision like some here speculate, I'd like to know in what universe nepotism (in this case changing the band lineup so the wives can hang out - really??) is an ok thing.
Well in all fairness, I think you might be taking a couple speculative comments out of context and treating them as fact. Yes, JP, JM and MP's wives all were/are in a band together, but that's besides the point. They can hang out when and where they want, regardless of whether their husbands are in a band together or not. And it's probably pretty safe to say it wasn't as if Rena and Lisa were pressuring their husbands to get MP back in the band.

But here's the thing: at least for me personally, while MM might be at the same level on drums as JR is on the keys, there are plenty of other prog metal bands out there that are absolutely amazing instrumentalists, but there music does little or nothing for me. Honestly, there are a few prog metal bands out there that I like, but the majority of the stuff recommended in the general music threads on this forum don't resonate with me. Why? Hard to say for certain, but I think there's a certain balance and chemistry that DT has that these other bands do not, and while I certainly enjoy the MM-era albums, more or less they are a continuation of what had already been previously established by the band in the previous 25 years, to a significant degree because of MP's stewardship. That's not to take away from the contributions of the other 4 guys, but to a large extent, it sounds like MP was the one who had the overall ideas that directed the writing and recording of each album, for better or for worse. Of course JP was co-pilot, but creatively speaking, MP seemed to steer the ship more than any other. Once he left, the other guys continued in the general direction that DT was going in. And the one time that they took a notable left turn in direction, they produced an album that was very divisive among the fanbase (greater than anything else they ever did). So yes, MM is inarguably superior to MP in drumming technique, but it's those other intangibles (besides the rotating setlists, and other things) that help DT stand out from the crowd, at least to me.

I said the same thing in an earlier post. I think just the evidence that the guys felt bad when letting DS go for essentially the same reason would give some foundation for how they probably felt about letting MM go in this case.

Regardless of how dramatic, controversial or surprising it is not, there are some of us who prefer MM's musical contributions. We aren't creating 'drama' - at least not any more than MP fans did for 12 years until they finally lobbied the band long and hard enough to bring their idol back (disclaimer: the bolded statement is purely my own opinion).
Do you genuinely believe it was because there were fans that expressed a desire for MP's return that the band actually capitulated? Even if the band is fan friendly, I find that extremely hard to even give a passing thought to.

Very well put Buddy. Just as the band went in varying directions for each succeeding album during MP's first stint, I would expect the same for this upcoming album as well as any more following it. If there's one thing that MP was good at, it was changing things up stylistically from album to album. The only time there wasn't as much variation was between SC and BCaSL. But even then, I would compare the differences between those two albums to the differences between d/t and AVFtTotW.

Rest assured TBW, the new album will be different; whether you, Crystal and/or everyone else will like it will be up for debate. But you can guarantee that there will be a percentage of the fanbase that will hate it, a percentage that think it's the best thing ever, and a likely majority who will think it ranks somewhere in the middle of the catalog - exactly the same as is the case for pretty much every album in DT's catalog.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

• PR permission
« Reply #2648 on: January 07, 2024, 02:01:55 PM »
And if it were simply a business decision like some here speculate, I'd like to know in what universe nepotism (in this case changing the band lineup so the wives can hang out - really??) is an ok thing.
Well in all fairness, I think you might be taking a couple speculative comments out of context and treating them as fact. Yes, JP, JM and MP's wives all were/are in a band together, but that's besides the point. They can hang out when and where they want, regardless of whether their husbands are in a band together or not. And it's probably pretty safe to say it wasn't as if Rena and Lisa were pressuring their husbands to get MP back in the band.

But here's the thing: at least for me personally, while MM might be at the same level on drums as JR is on the keys, there are plenty of other prog metal bands out there that are absolutely amazing instrumentalists, but there music does little or nothing for me. Honestly, there are a few prog metal bands out there that I like, but the majority of the stuff recommended in the general music threads on this forum don't resonate with me. Why? Hard to say for certain, but I think there's a certain balance and chemistry that DT has that these other bands do not, and while I certainly enjoy the MM-era albums, more or less they are a continuation of what had already been previously established by the band in the previous 25 years, to a significant degree because of MP's stewardship. That's not to take away from the contributions of the other 4 guys, but to a large extent, it sounds like MP was the one who had the overall ideas that directed the writing and recording of each album, for better or for worse. Of course JP was co-pilot, but creatively speaking, MP seemed to steer the ship more than any other. Once he left, the other guys continued in the general direction that DT was going in. And the one time that they took a notable left turn in direction, they produced an album that was very divisive among the fanbase (greater than anything else they ever did). So yes, MM is inarguably superior to MP in drumming technique, but it's those other intangibles (besides the rotating setlists, and other things) that help DT stand out from the crowd, at least to me.

I said the same thing in an earlier post. I think just the evidence that the guys felt bad when letting DS go for essentially the same reason would give some foundation for how they probably felt about letting MM go in this case.

Regardless of how dramatic, controversial or surprising it is not, there are some of us who prefer MM's musical contributions. We aren't creating 'drama' - at least not any more than MP fans did for 12 years until they finally lobbied the band long and hard enough to bring their idol back (disclaimer: the bolded statement is purely my own opinion).
Do you genuinely believe it was because there were fans that expressed a desire for MP's return that the band actually capitulated? Even if the band is fan friendly, I find that extremely hard to even give a passing thought to.

Very well put Buddy. Just as the band went in varying directions for each succeeding album during MP's first stint, I would expect the same for this upcoming album as well as any more following it. If there's one thing that MP was good at, it was changing things up stylistically from album to album. The only time there wasn't as much variation was between SC and BCaSL. But even then, I would compare the differences between those two albums to the differences between d/t and AVFtTotW.

Rest assured TBW, the new album will be different; whether you, Crystal and/or everyone else will like it will be up for debate. But you can guarantee that there will be a percentage of the fanbase that will hate it, a percentage that think it's the best thing ever, and a likely majority who will think it ranks somewhere in the middle of the catalog - exactly the same as is the case for pretty much every album in DT's catalog.

I suspect that the fans constantly calling for MP to come back had a role. Again, just my personal opinion but we all see how completely one sided and effusive the reactions have been over the last month. I am not discounting the friendship and family angle but I do believe that they understood what most of the fans wanted. I am only speculating here but what if, as many on the forum intimated, the DreamSonic show underperformed and the calls for MP to come back for a reunion have only gotten louder over the years? JP's explanation of the decision right now is 'the timing just felt right.' It could mean a number of things and I think it could include a number of things too.

On MP's musical contributions, there were obviously so many great songs he had a hand in. At the same time I think a lot of the more questionable decisions had his name on them. I am open to what this next era is going to bring but I just hope he is musical in a different place.

Online gborland

« Reply #2649 on: January 07, 2024, 02:05:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure Blaze only expected to be in Maiden, and Ripper in Priest, for a few years. Neither of them was naive enough to think they were there forever. MM was surely smart enough to figure out the same thing.
Graham Borland

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2650 on: January 07, 2024, 02:59:13 PM »

Regarding the new music, I am choosing to remain cautiously optimistic and hope to be in that "likely majority". Even I like some songs on SC :lol I mean it may never be the same again as AVFTTOTW 😭 but I doubt it'll be all doom and gloom (at least I hope not).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2651 on: January 07, 2024, 03:03:57 PM »
I am only speculating here but what if, as many on the forum intimated, the DreamSonic show underperformed and the calls for MP to come back for a reunion have only gotten louder over the years?

And it's fine to speculate, but what you are specifically speculating isn't even likely.  I doubt DreamSonic would have had any role at all.  ProgNation didn't do well either the second time around, but nobody was blaming Portnoy and saying "well, if they would just dump Portnoy, these shows wouldn't have undersold and everything would be fine."  I don't really see any connection.

And second, we didn't really see any cries for Portnoy coming back that weren't there before, other than maybe right after the LTE shows, as would be expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unrelated to that, I also don't get a few that seem to think the musical direction of the band is somehow going to change.  That makes zero sense, since the main composers of the band are exactly the same.  The fact that the percussion will be performed by someone else isn't likely to have any major impact on the band's overall sound at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2652 on: January 07, 2024, 03:17:21 PM »
And second, we didn't really see any cries for Portnoy coming back that weren't there before, other than maybe right after the LTE shows, as would be expected.

LTE had live shows recently? Did I somehow miss that entirely? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2653 on: January 07, 2024, 03:25:59 PM »

Not unless 2008 is "recently."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2654 on: January 07, 2024, 03:28:49 PM »

Not unless 2008 is "recently."

That's what I thought. I'm really hoping they do another tour - LTE3 was great and I never got the chance to see them live before. Since it's 3/4 DT members again I suppose they could just bring Tony Levin along when he's free and open for themselves at some point. :lol Though I'd much prefer headlining shows in smaller clubs, I think that'd be really fun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2655 on: January 07, 2024, 04:05:40 PM »
I meant the album, sorry.  Forgot that they didn't play shows.  I don't really pay much attention to LTE, honestly.  I just remember a bit of buzz about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: January 07, 2024, 04:38:03 PM »

Can you see into the future?  This is a crazy statement.

• PR permission
« Reply #2657 on: January 07, 2024, 05:53:28 PM »

I guess we'll find out when DT16 drops.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: January 07, 2024, 05:56:42 PM »

I guess we'll find out when DT16 drops.

But then either one will just be able to say 'I told you so.'  I know you're basing that statement on the content of the albums you're mentioning but it's been a long time, I don't think its fair to exclusively say that you are going to be 'disappointed in the music reverting back stylistically.'  We just don't know that, the band wouldn't even know that as nothing as we know has been created.

but yes, touche, the final product will answer all the speculation.  I just choose not to really speculate until we hear what they come up with.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2659 on: January 07, 2024, 05:58:44 PM »
MP ended DT with TCOT (well, I think it was actually Raw Dog, but ignore that). If we get that level of music, sign me the fuck up.