Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124793 times)

jonny108 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2555 on: December 29, 2023, 11:19:16 AM »
I forgot Portnoy is playing with Umphrey's McGee. I can wait to see some videos of them jamming.

It's going to be streamed live on nugs.net, you can sign up for a free week trial and watch it tonight.

I just might!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2556 on: December 29, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
I forgot Portnoy is playing with Umphrey's McGee. I can wait to see some videos of them jamming.

It's going to be streamed live on nugs.net, you can sign up for a free week trial and watch it tonight.

I just might!

You can sign up for the trail but to watch tonite performance you'll be asked to upgrade to a paid plan.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2557 on: December 29, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »
Oh bummer, how much is it to upgrade?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2558 on: December 29, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
I think $12 for the monthly plan.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: December 29, 2023, 06:07:15 PM »
I am recording the show

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2560 on: December 30, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »
I have recorded the show.
Openers, first and second set of UM.  :metal

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2561 on: December 30, 2023, 11:30:21 AM »
So, where's the link?  :metal

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2562 on: December 31, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2565 on: January 02, 2024, 05:13:32 AM »
May I have also the link, MinistroRaven? Please and Thank You :ron_swanson.gif: Graciasss

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: January 02, 2024, 07:24:46 PM »
Sent

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #2567 on: January 04, 2024, 10:48:05 AM »
I was there, it blew my mind. If anyone else was there and heard someone screaming "12 step suite! 12 step suite!" a few times, that was me.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2568 on: January 05, 2024, 04:42:47 PM »
I also expect these shows to be priced quite highly as well.

In a general sense that everything is high these days.

Yeah, every year concert tickets get a bit more expensive and DT have already been on the more expensive side.

And worth it!

As for seated vs standing, I agree that seats don't mean you need to actually sit (we never do), but what they do mean is that your place is secured from the time of purchase. If you bought eighth row center, you'll be in eighth row center. No hassle of having to get there at 6am (I exaggerate, for emphasis) to secure your place near the stage. Just have a fast connection and click fast on ticket day.

This.  Nothing's worse than getting to Iron Maiden show early to hold my spot for three and half hours, often including an opening act that I have no interest in seeing, and fighting through a sea of elbows trying to get back after a piss.  Having a seated location fixes this.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2569 on: January 05, 2024, 04:49:02 PM »
In this article Mike Portnoy says "...I don't wanna say 'final act,' but the reality is if you look at our ages, it probably is the final act."  He just rejoined the band, and he's talking about the end.   :(

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-his-return-to-dream-theater-its-poetic-justice-that-we-should-ride-off-into-the-sunset-together

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2570 on: January 05, 2024, 04:49:34 PM »
I also expect these shows to be priced quite highly as well.

In a general sense that everything is high these days.

Yeah, every year concert tickets get a bit more expensive and DT have already been on the more expensive side.

And worth it!

As for seated vs standing, I agree that seats don't mean you need to actually sit (we never do), but what they do mean is that your place is secured from the time of purchase. If you bought eighth row center, you'll be in eighth row center. No hassle of having to get there at 6am (I exaggerate, for emphasis) to secure your place near the stage. Just have a fast connection and click fast on ticket day.

This.  Nothing's worse than getting to Iron Maiden show early to hold my spot for three and half hours, often including an opening act that I have no interest in seeing, and fighting through a sea of elbows trying to get back after a piss.  Having a seated location fixes this.

This would be perfect..if everyone would stand. But then they don't and there is that whole thing...When I was in London for the D/T tour, when they recorded for  the video, everyone sat. I'm not from the UK, so if they sit, I'll sit. But I really wanted to stand. The best option is the theater venues with the smaller GA and seats for the rest.

The big shows, like Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. I get my spot, drink and pee early, then stay put.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2571 on: January 05, 2024, 05:32:24 PM »
Nothing's worse than getting to Iron Maiden show early to hold my spot for three and half hours, often including an opening act that I have no interest in seeing, and fighting through a sea of elbows trying to get back after a piss. 

This is how I discovered Dream Theater!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #2572 on: January 05, 2024, 06:41:41 PM »
Nothing's worse than getting to Iron Maiden show early to hold my spot for three and half hours, often including an opening act that I have no interest in seeing, and fighting through a sea of elbows trying to get back after a piss. 

This is how I discovered Dream Theater!!

Dream Theater an exception to the rule.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2573 on: January 05, 2024, 06:43:30 PM »
Based on the information that has come out, does anyone else get the sense that this whole reunion is something that started with MP and JP, and that JP then pitched it to everyone else in the band?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2574 on: January 05, 2024, 07:12:28 PM »
In this article Mike Portnoy says "...I don't wanna say 'final act,' but the reality is if you look at our ages, it probably is the final act."  He just rejoined the band, and he's talking about the end.   :(

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-his-return-to-dream-theater-its-poetic-justice-that-we-should-ride-off-into-the-sunset-together
He's just being realistic. They're all getting older, if they last another decade JR will be 77. It seemed pretty clear from the beginning -even just based on the way they phrased the press release- that a big part of the calculus for the reunion is the fact that they probably don't have a lot of time left as a band. I don't necessarily buy into it, but I can understand a lot of the speculation that has been thrown around on here that somebody in DT expressed that they want to retire soon and that kicked the reunion into gear.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2575 on: January 05, 2024, 07:18:34 PM »
Based on the information that has come out, does anyone else get the sense that this whole reunion is something that started with MP and JP, and that JP then pitched it to everyone else in the band?

I don't know...my educated guess is, since MP wish to return to DT someday was kind of a "public knowledge"*, that JP initially approached JR, to feel the pulse of the band, and after that, JM and James. When the 4 agreed, I think JP finally made the ivitation to MP. Of course, I'm totally speculating here. Do you think that maybe there was a phone call with the 4 of them inviting MP? It's possible for sure.
Edited: * I mean, I think I read or saw in some interviews in the last few years, when MP was asked  something along the lines "if was presented the opportunity to come back to DT, what you would do?" and MP responding something like "I would do it in a heartbeat!". But, in all honesty, I'm not 100% sure about this memory. Maybe it was more me reading between the lines.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:36:06 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2576 on: January 05, 2024, 07:45:45 PM »

I don't know...my educated guess is, since MP wish to return to DT someday was kind of a "public knowledge"*, that JP initially approached JR, to feel the pulse of the band, and after that, JM and James. When the 4 agreed, I think JP finally made the ivitation to MP. Of course, I'm totally speculating here. Do you think that maybe there was a phone call with the 4 of them inviting MP? It's possible for sure.
Edited: * I mean, I think I read or saw in some interviews in the last few years, when MP was asked  something along the lines "if was presented the opportunity to come back to DT, what you would do?" and MP responding something like "I would do it in a heartbeat!". But, in all honesty, I'm not 100% sure about this memory. Maybe it was more me reading between the lines.
Well really, MP's comments about returning in a heartbeat happened within the first few years after the split. But over time, I think he got used to not being in the band, and even though he patched things up with JP and JR there was still the distance with JM and especially JL despite efforts to make peace. So I think he became resigned to the idea that he wouldn't return and in later interviews said that he had no desire to return to the band.

Of course, once he played on JP's solo album and did LTE3, and in particular was finally able to patch things up with JL, then there seemed to be a pathway towards his return becoming a possibility. But even then, it wasn't a certainty. JP seemed fairly adamant as late as a year ago when doing his solo tour that MP was not returning to DT. Exactly what changed and when is up for debate.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2577 on: January 05, 2024, 07:49:47 PM »
Scotty, I believe MP has mentioned a couple of times that the Portnoys and the Myungs have been together for things. I know he respects JM's privacy, so we don't hear about it a lot, but it seems that MP and JM have been on good terms for a while now. Do you believe this to be true?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2578 on: January 05, 2024, 08:11:45 PM »
The thing is, and Portnoy has acknowledged this himself in some ways, Dream Theater seems to function more as a democracy since Portnoy's departure. I just have a hard time believing that Petrucci would formally talk to Portnoy before getting everybody else on board. Especially James. Why ask Portnoy to rejoin the band only for JLB to then shut it down? Not to mention the personal can of worms it would open.

There's an anecdote from the 90s, I think it might have been when they decided to let DS go, where the four members got together for a secret meeting after a rehearsal to decide to make that change. I imagine it was a similar thing here, JM/JR/JLB/JP meet privately to discuss whether they want to reunite, then JP calls Portnoy.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

• PR permission
« Reply #2579 on: January 05, 2024, 08:23:58 PM »
I don't know...my educated guess is, since MP wish to return to DT someday was kind of a public knowledge, that JP initially approached JR, to feel the pulse of the band, and after that, JM and James. When the 4 agreed, I think JP finally made the ivitation to MP. Of course, I'm totally speculating here. Do you think that maybe there was a phone call with the 4 of them inviting MP? It's possible for sure.

I really don't know on the finer points but from the way MP is talking it just sounds like something that was started between those two. According to MP's Drumeo, he first reconnected with JP '5-6 years ago.' Then it 'gained traction' (MP's words) when they did a solo album and after that LTE, and after that the solo album tour.

According to MP the 'final piece was connecting with JLB' so I don't think there is a real chance JLB was the first to float this reunion idea. But given the first relationship he rekindled was JP it would make sense this is the most natural place for it to have blossomed.

I just don't know who first uttered the idea or how it was propositioned, but what I do believe is that somewhere in between October 2022 and the official announcement on October 25, 2023 (and actually the window for the decision is probably shorter because I assume there was time between the agreement and the official announcement) something changed for John Petrucci. Why do I think this? I have referred to this interview before but here it is:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/john-petrucci-shuts-down-fan-speculation-about-mike-portnoys-return-to-dream-theater-ive-been-very-vocal-about-this

On October 3rd 2022 JP did an interview with Eddie Trunk in which there was this: 'When host Eddie Trunk pointed out to Petrucci that the guitarist's reunion with Portnoy, including their current run of tour dates in support of "Terminal Velocity", has resulted in DREAM THEATER fans speculating about Portnoy's possible return to the band, John said: "I've been very vocal about this and outspoken and very careful about this to be clear with my intentions and Mike and I and our reuniting. The stuff that we are doing together with my solo stuff, with LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT, with Mike touring with me, this is its own thing, and DREAM THEATER is its own thing, and the history that we now have with Mike Mangini in the band for 12 years, it's important for me to make sure that people don't misunderstand this. Because it's not good for anybody; that kind of weirdness or controversy, as we all know, it's just toxic. So I've been saying… Maybe I'm selfish but I feel so lucky that I get to do this with Mike [Portnoy] and play live with him, play this instrumental music, record, and being in DREAM THEATER with Mangini, it's like I've kind of been spoiled. I get two of the greatest drummers in the world to be able to play with. And I think it's important for people to know that and to have that clarity — I really do."'

Seemed pretty darn clear to me and note that this interview took place well after MP attended to DT show in NYC where he patched things up with JLB. So the biggest question in my mind is what happened within that period of a year or probably less to make him go from briskly shutting down speculation about a reunion to then realizing the reunion itself? That is a pretty short window of time for a busy guy. The only big public things I can think of that happened were the solo album tour with MP and the DreamSonic tour with MM. Obviously I don't know about what happened outside of that but changing the band's drummer at this stage in your career -- and especially when you are happy with the work your current guy is doing -- is a big move. We'll probably never know what exactly changed his mind but it is just something I think about when I listen to DT.

Also LOL @ that first comment: "Yeah ok. $50 that reunion tour with Mike is announced within three years. By or on 10/7/25." The fact that it happened so quickly after he did this interview underscores the contrast between JP's mindset then vs. now. I just find it interesting.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:39:51 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2580 on: January 05, 2024, 09:12:58 PM »

"We'd like to welcome you to the family"... wait... wrong phone call* :lol

*I honestly can't watch that documentary anymore after the reunion happened. It seems *TO ME* that they just threw away the last 13 years like it's no big deal. But then, again, we can't know for sure until the band is publicly active again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• PR permission
« Reply #2581 on: January 05, 2024, 09:24:29 PM »

*I honestly can't watch that documentary anymore after the reunion happened. It seems *TO ME* that they just threw away the last 13 years like it's no big deal. But then, again, we can't know for sure until the band is publicly active again.

Yup. 1000000%. Especially when they were more than happy with the way Mangini did his job.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: January 05, 2024, 09:32:32 PM »

What gives you that impression?  There's nothing to really base that on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2583 on: January 05, 2024, 10:15:42 PM »

Just the taste I'm left with after the recent events. I was writing a longer post but just didn't think it was worth it, really. Just how I feel based on everything that happened a couple months ago.

And again, just to be clear, that's just my perception/opinion and not a statement of fact.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2584 on: January 05, 2024, 10:34:05 PM »
Man, it feels like those comments from JP were longer ago than late 2022.

I suspect what ultimately forced the change in direction was JP looking ahead to 2025, thinking about how they would commemorate the 40th anniversary and if it would include MP or not, and that just probably got the ball rolling for him and maybe the rest of the guys as well. I imagine they realized they were all getting older (how many more tours does JLB really have in him? JR too maybe), the time to reunite was now before the 40th anniversary, and they had completed a run of 5 albums with MM, so it all probably seemed like a pretty natural jumping off point.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2585 on: January 06, 2024, 01:42:52 AM »
Watching MP's performance with UM makes me hope that DT incorporates more jams in the setlists. There was this JR comment after Thomas Lang's interpretation of The Dance of Eternity stating that "the fans are used to hearing these songs a certain way." I might be in the minority here but I would like a bit more variation in terms of live shows, altering the songs here and there. If I want the album as it is, I can just go listen to it and not go to the live show.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2586 on: January 06, 2024, 03:04:15 AM »
Watching MP's performance with UM makes me hope that DT incorporates more jams in the setlists. There was this JR comment after Thomas Lang's interpretation of The Dance of Eternity stating that "the fans are used to hearing these songs a certain way." I might be in the minority here but I would like a bit more variation in terms of live shows, altering the songs here and there. If I want the album as it is, I can just go listen to it and not go to the live show.

I agree with this, definitely one of the things i missed without MP in the band. I loved the improvisations, jams and all the quirky things they did live, it's what made them special.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2587 on: January 06, 2024, 04:13:38 AM »
Oh, god. Some of the regulars here would probably renounce their fandom if they reintroduced jams together with rotating setlists :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: January 06, 2024, 04:27:35 AM »
Do you think that maybe there was a phone call with the 4 of them inviting MP? It's possible for sure.

There was a call indeed!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: January 06, 2024, 04:32:18 AM »

Just the taste I'm left with after the recent events. I was writing a longer post but just didn't think it was worth it, really. Just how I feel based on everything that happened a couple months ago.

And again, just to be clear, that's just my perception/opinion and not a statement of fact.

I'm not sure if you're just meaning the press conference on the whole thing or something else but being at the back end of their careers, I'm sure they are just keen to me the most of the final part of their careers and focus on this next phase and make it super special.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.