Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124818 times)

jonny108 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline porcacultor

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2450 on: December 17, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »
Why can't we all just get along? [EDIT: I was being facetious here, but it didn't translate, so hence the neurotic edit. People can think what they want about the album, just thought of giving my two cents below]

As much as I love The Astonishing, I don't know how to make a case for it. It is a big ask -- I think the band tried their best to onboard the fans to what is arguably a freaky experience: equal parts Dream Theater album and cast recording of a broadway musical.

It is likely the most Jordan-esque of all their albums, even if JP wrote the story. I think the signs in their history that point to what they went for in this album have been there since SFAM -- take the start of Finally Free (and first verse), the whole structure of SDOIT (the track), particularly the Overture and Grand Finale, and The Astonishing ends up feeling like a culmination of that type of musical storytelling.

Not for everyone and, really, perhaps the least Portnoy-esque album in their career, in the sense that he might've (not saying for certain, just a hunch) said "no" to a lot of the ideas from the early stages. Or perhaps the antithesis of a song like "As I Am", if that makes sense.

But the discussion is about the album's diversity. It shouldn't be relevant whether we like the album or not when evaluating diversity.
It's not a question of "I like it, so it's diverse. I don't like it, so it's all the same."

For example: my favorite DT album is I&W, which is not a very diverse album (maybe the exception is Another Day). Octavarium is a much more varied album for the DT standard, but it's not one of my favorites.

It shouldn't be, but is it a coincidence that most voices either purporting or minimizing the Astonishing's perceived diversity tend to respectively like or dislike the album? I think it's a placeholder discussion. You could "solve" it by laying out a spreadsheet of the album pointing out the genres and styles in each track (boring). I think the feeling that it's too same-y is more of a result of being unaccustomed to the musical format than an objective interpretation (which is fine), and that's kind of what I tried to address.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2451 on: December 17, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »
i read some speculation on the dt discord that said the only reason they asked MP back was because the new Haken album was so good it threatened DTs standing as de facto kings of prog metal

What is a good Haken album to get a newcomer started?

The Mountain is their masterpiece. This is when they really found their own sound.

But if you want to start with something that sounds more like DT (but still amazing) start with Visions.

I’ll second this, and add that their latest (Fauna) is, in my opinion, a masterpiece that encapsulates their sound and career quite nicely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2452 on: December 17, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
i read some speculation on the dt discord that said the only reason they asked MP back was because the new Haken album was so good it threatened DTs standing as de facto kings of prog metal

Obviously posted by someone fucking stupid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2453 on: December 17, 2023, 09:48:11 AM »
Re: Diversity

Actually, the first thing that struck me when I heard Images and Words.

Track 1 is a straight up prog metal masterpiece
Track 2 goes Kenny G on us
Track 3 goes into funk/jazz metal
Track 4 is a power ballad with a very odd time signature

I think IAW is very diverse out of the gate
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: December 17, 2023, 10:22:35 AM »
Yup.

Enjoying the criticism of those who believe The Astonishing lacks diversity characterised as not getting it. We get it just fine ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 10:38:31 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2455 on: December 17, 2023, 11:58:05 AM »
In several pages I haven’t seen anyone really define what “diversity” means or what the criteria is, so the whole discussion is just talking past each other.

To me it can be anything from dynamics, song structure, instrumentation, style. Also with the acknowledgement that Dream Theater has some set parameters - you know you’re going to get odd time signatures, technical instrumentals, some kind of sound that can fit in a prog bucket.

With that being said, I tend to think that Falling Into Infinity or Six Degrees kinda showcase the largest range and variety of styles. FII because the band hadn’t really developed a set formula yet so there’s a lot of different stuff they’re trying that they never really did again, stuff like the Crimson-y New Millennium with the Chapman stick, everything the Spanish influenced Hollow Years, the production choices on Take Away My Pain.

Six Degrees because each song does its own thing and doesn’t really follow any predictable structure. Glass Prison is an all out riff fest but the. Misunderstood has this real slow burn beginning. Then of course the title track with the orchestral instruments is sonically totally outside of the first disc. Each song feels like its own sound, style, and structure while still having an identifiably DT flavor.

The Astonishing just isn’t it for me. There are some interesting songwriting choices and the way the vocals drive a lot of the material is unique for the band, but I have always felt like the album was consciously not really that “diverse” musically. It’s supposed to flow as one piece and for better or worse it has a sound that it largely sticks to.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2456 on: December 17, 2023, 12:06:07 PM »
I think what they're trying to say is that there is too much sameness to all of the songs. The same could never be said about Octavarium.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2457 on: December 17, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »
It shouldn't be, but is it a coincidence that most voices either purporting or minimizing the Astonishing's perceived diversity tend to respectively like or dislike the album? I think it's a placeholder discussion. You could "solve" it by laying out a spreadsheet of the album pointing out the genres and styles in each track (boring). I think the feeling that it's too same-y is more of a result of being unaccustomed to the musical format than an objective interpretation (which is fine), and that's kind of what I tried to address.

It's certainly not a coincidence. I believe that the fact that there are many slow moments on the piano is responsible for this. Those who hate these moments certainly get bored as fuck and are left with the feeling that the album is just that.

But it's not just that. The album has several different moments. When I listen to TA I hear prog metal, straight rock, prog rock, piano ballads, piano rock, soundtrack music, military march, tango, swing jazz, broadway music, disney music, heavy metal, ...

I can't think of any other DT album where I can hear all of this. If anyone knows one, I welcome a recommendation.

TA is not a perfect album, far from it. But I really don't think the album's lack of diversity is a standout point. I think it's a weird idea. The album is not ToT.

Of the albums made with MM, the album that definitely suffers from a lack of diversity is the last one.

In several pages I haven’t seen anyone really define what “diversity” means or what the criteria is, so the whole discussion is just talking past each other.

To me it can be anything from dynamics, song structure, instrumentation, style. Also with the acknowledgement that Dream Theater has some set parameters - you know you’re going to get odd time signatures, technical instrumentals, some kind of sound that can fit in a prog bucket.

With that being said, I tend to think that Falling Into Infinity or Six Degrees kinda showcase the largest range and variety of styles. FII because the band hadn’t really developed a set formula yet so there’s a lot of different stuff they’re trying that they never really did again, stuff like the Crimson-y New Millennium with the Chapman stick, everything the Spanish influenced Hollow Years, the production choices on Take Away My Pain.

Six Degrees because each song does its own thing and doesn’t really follow any predictable structure. Glass Prison is an all out riff fest but the. Misunderstood has this real slow burn beginning. Then of course the title track with the orchestral instruments is sonically totally outside of the first disc. Each song feels like its own sound, style, and structure while still having an identifiably DT flavor.

The Astonishing just isn’t it for me. There are some interesting songwriting choices and the way the vocals drive a lot of the material is unique for the band, but I have always felt like the album was consciously not really that “diverse” musically. It’s supposed to flow as one piece and for better or worse it has a sound that it largely sticks to.

You are quite right about the definition of diversity.

I think that in a way, intuitively we all have an idea of diversity as different forms of approaches, styles, genres, musical languages, mainly.

That's why historically we had no difficulty in perceiving Octavarium as a very diverse album in the band's discography, as the construction of the album seemed to make a lot of effort to make it very obvious like "let's do a piano ballad. Now a U2 song. Now aggressive prog metal. Now epic prog. Now Muse-like music etc." In the same way that we recognize ToT as practically monothematic "aggressive prog metal and sonic wanking".

It is in this sense that I say that I&W is not exactly a super diverse album. Even though some songs are more complex and intricate and others are a little more direct or slow, they all bring the prog metal style that characterized Dream Theater and was so copied over the years (with the exception of the Kenny G moment). You can easily combine Metropolis, Take the Time, Learning to Live, Under a Glass Moon in the same team. It's already more than half the album. And you can add Pull Me Under and Surrounded to the club.
If we compare it to the two that came later, this becomes even more obvious.

Basically, it's an interesting discussion about musical diversity in DT. If the album in question wasn't TA (which has the gift of ruining any and all dreamtheater discussions  :lol) but any other, perhaps the atmosphere would be better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2458 on: December 17, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »
You all need to get laid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2459 on: December 17, 2023, 03:33:16 PM »
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2460 on: December 17, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »
You all need to get laid.

:lol

Unlikely. This is the Dream Theater Forums not the Mötley Crüe Forums. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2461 on: December 17, 2023, 03:53:43 PM »
Yeah, but...Kenny G!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: December 17, 2023, 04:00:21 PM »
Dudes!  My wife loves DT. And giggity we have had coitus to DY.

You pleabians. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2463 on: December 17, 2023, 04:06:28 PM »
And giggity we have had coitus to DY.

Do you mean coitus with KY?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2464 on: December 17, 2023, 04:07:01 PM »

You pleabians. Lol

But was it diverse coitus or samey?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2465 on: December 17, 2023, 04:13:11 PM »

You pleabians. Lol

But was it diverse coitus or samey?

Whatever it was, I bet it was quick.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: December 17, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
Who cares. I was happy even with 5 minutes of s 24 minute song. Lol

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2467 on: December 18, 2023, 04:38:46 AM »
As much as I love The Astonishing, I don't know how to make a case for it. It is a big ask -- I think the band tried their best to onboard the fans to what is arguably a freaky experience: equal parts Dream Theater album and cast recording of a broadway musical.

The best case I could make for the album is that it's a unique piece of work as a whole.

It is likely the most Jordan-esque of all their albums, even if JP wrote the story. I think the signs in their history that point to what they went for in this album have been there since SFAM -- take the start of Finally Free (and first verse), the whole structure of SDOIT (the track), particularly the Overture and Grand Finale, and The Astonishing ends up feeling like a culmination of that type of musical storytelling.

Agreeing with the statement in bold and, now that I think of it, it's probably why I enjoy it so much.

The story aside (as with SFAM), I enjoy it primarily for the music. The piano themes connect the overall experience of the album as a coherent composition.

Not for everyone and, really, perhaps the least Portnoy-esque album in their career, in the sense that he might've (not saying for certain, just a hunch) said "no" to a lot of the ideas from the early stages. Or perhaps the antithesis of a song like "As I Am", if that makes sense.

Again I agree with the first statement in bold (however I don't know enough yet about MP to speculate whether he would've been on board with TA  - maybe?). As for the second, yes, I can agree with TA representing an entirely different facet of the band from a song like As I Am. And if "diversity" isn't present enough within the album itself (with which I respectfully disagree - Moment of Betrayal is an excellent stand alone song which could have fit nicely on a number of albums), it does show a band which is very diverse in their ability to utilize any style at their disposal to create albums that are completely unique from one another.

When most songs are "Samey"  I wouldn't call it diverse.

What some are referring to as "samey" I would call an intentional part of their worldbuilding. There's a definite overall vibe that connects the sound of the album, like a specific palette of colors used to create the mood of a painting.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline gborland

« Reply #2468 on: December 18, 2023, 05:00:00 AM »

Rotating or static?
Graham Borland

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2469 on: December 18, 2023, 05:41:35 AM »
I'm not sure what makes me gag more: The Astonishing or hearing about King's sex life.   

(I kid, I kid.  It's The Astonishing.)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: December 18, 2023, 05:45:15 AM »
The astonishing sex life, you mean.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2471 on: December 18, 2023, 07:50:15 AM »
I'm not sure what makes me gag more: The Astonishing or hearing about King's sex life.   

Aaaannnnd again, we will agree to disagree. 🤢 Lol.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2472 on: December 18, 2023, 08:08:11 AM »

What some are referring to as "samey" I would call an intentional part of their worldbuilding. There's a definite overall vibe that connects the sound of the album, like a specific palette of colors used to create the mood of a painting.

I like this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2473 on: December 18, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »

I'm actually joking all around. I confess I've never really gotten into the story in the way it deserves, but I have nothing bad to say about TA, and I saw the tour and was suitably impressed.  I'm doing my song list now and I can see a number of these songs making the cut.  Even if the subject matter doesn't grab, it's a beautifully done piece of work.  And by that I mean King.  :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2474 on: December 18, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »

Obviously posted by someone fucking stupid.

Yes, and Haken is not metal anyway.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: December 18, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »

I'm actually joking all around. I confess I've never really gotten into the story in the way it deserves, but I have nothing bad to say about TA, and I saw the tour and was suitably impressed.  I'm doing my song list now and I can see a number of these songs making the cut.  Even if the subject matter doesn't grab, it's a beautifully done piece of work.  And by that I mean King.  :)

I let out a snort at the punchline... someone send help!

I like this.

Yes, I do too. It's a very helpful way of putting it.

(Although it doesn't change my opinion of the album.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2476 on: December 18, 2023, 09:09:52 AM »
That's fucking stupid.

While I like The Astonishing, I would never defend it as being diverse.  I mean, it's got some slow songs, and some fast songs.  Some mellow songs, and some aggressive songs.  But so do all of DT's other albums.

Their most diverse album by far is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2477 on: December 18, 2023, 09:10:26 AM »
By far??

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2478 on: December 18, 2023, 09:15:03 AM »
By far??
I think so.

It's certainly not Train of Thought lol.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: December 18, 2023, 09:15:24 AM »
And giggity we have had coitus to DY.

Do you mean coitus with KY?

I dont think I had ever read/heard the word coitus before today  :lol and shockingly it is a real word spelled correctly.

I like this.

Solid comparison, but for me, I don't notice anything "samey" about TA.  There's a few re-occuring themes, but I'm pretty sure most of this forum complained those themes weren't used enough on the album.  So to me, even the parts that are "samey" aren't even used enough times to be considered it, in my eyes.  I just think people don't like TA because it's long, has a lot of softer spots, and it being a story makes some of the lyrics bad and therefore single tracks don't stand out so much. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #2480 on: December 18, 2023, 09:23:58 AM »

Seconded.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2481 on: December 18, 2023, 10:07:40 AM »
Six Degrees seems their most diverse and best album to me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2482 on: December 18, 2023, 10:13:58 AM »

Yeah, this is probably where I'd fall on this as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2483 on: December 18, 2023, 10:52:43 AM »

I agree as well. It’s pretty much ‘prime’ or ‘peak’ Dream Theater.

We’re talking Tiger Woods circa 2000. This was them honed in and at max performance IMO. That album had everything in it sonically, musically….lyrical….you name it and it was there and it was top notch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2484 on: December 18, 2023, 11:18:26 AM »

The funny thing for myself is that my Top album is 6DOIT and my next favorite is The Astonishing.

Both albums I consider among their best songwriting. In a way, it's because of the way they composed both the title track of 6DOIT and The Astonishing.

Also, 6DOIT is one song. The reason it's split up on disc 2 is so people can conveniently play the sections they like, in the same way The Astonishing has each section split into separate tracks. There are tracks in The Astonishing that could have easily been one track/song, such as The Saviour In The Square and When Your Time Has Come. Yet, they chose to split them into separate tracks. Just like how the tracks that transition into another are separate tracks in 6DOIT, like War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All. Actually, all of 6DOIT tracks transition into each other.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD