Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124854 times)

gborland, EPIC Outro, efx (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2170 on: December 02, 2023, 09:00:22 PM »
Here's an interview with Dino Jelusick where he talks about his involvement with Mike Mangini's solo album - he recommended oe of the guitar players and was going to sing on the album as well, but his litigation with Frontiers stopped him from doing so. It's at the 12 minute mark, and he also talks about having long calls with Jordan Rudess and about congratulating MP on his return to DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgyuSvpadQ&t=1042s

Is there a single musician out there that has beef with Jordan Rudess? Kind of amazing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2171 on: December 02, 2023, 09:15:58 PM »
Here's an interview with Dino Jelusick where he talks about his involvement with Mike Mangini's solo album - he recommended oe of the guitar players and was going to sing on the album as well, but his litigation with Frontiers stopped him from doing so. It's at the 12 minute mark, and he also talks about having long calls with Jordan Rudess and about congratulating MP on his return to DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgyuSvpadQ&t=1042s

Is there a single musician out there that has beef with Jordan Rudess? Kind of amazing.
Derek Sherinian?   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2172 on: December 02, 2023, 11:06:27 PM »

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2173 on: December 03, 2023, 08:09:19 PM »
Am I late to the party? Or did someone already point out that Mike was out for 13 years.

8+5=13

Also that Mangini was on 5 studio albums and 8 Dream Theater releases.

:corn

Online HOF

« Reply #2174 on: December 03, 2023, 09:11:46 PM »
Am I late to the party? Or did someone already point out that Mike was out for 13 years.

8+5=13

What's the relevance of 8+5?

Also, maybe MP is a closet Swiftie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2175 on: December 03, 2023, 09:18:01 PM »

8+5=13

I was equating the two 13s with each other (facetiously). But also thinking of how 5, 3, 8 and all its variants are constantly popping up since the 8V album.

Offline JPZealot

« Reply #2176 on: December 03, 2023, 10:14:48 PM »

8+5=13

Peeking out of my lurking to add that this is an amazing observation and, in my own personal head cannon, the answer to the question "why was the announcement made now?".

I became a fan during the ToT tour, and had become full acolyte by the time Octavarium came out. At the time, it was a bit disappointing (and it's still not one of my favourites musically), but it felt like every day there were new "nuggetz" discovered. That era was just SO much fun to be a fan, beyond  all of the music.

HOF - Octavarium used a lot of references to 8 and 5 (initially referring an octave and the circle of fifths), and these numbers continued to pop up all over the album/artwork/tour, and became referred to as hidden "nuggetz".  Here is a good primer (although I remember the preferred spelling being with a "z"):
https://dreamtheater.fandom.com/wiki/Octavarium_(album)#5/8_Concept_and_nuggets

Online HOF

« Reply #2177 on: December 03, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »

8+5=13

Peeking out of my lurking to add that this is an amazing observation and, in my own personal head cannon, the answer to the question "why was the announcement made now?".

I became a fan during the ToT tour, and had become full acolyte by the time Octavarium came out. At the time, it was a bit disappointing (and it's still not one of my favourites musically), but it felt like every day there were new "nuggetz" discovered. That era was just SO much fun to be a fan, beyond  all of the music.

HOF - Octavarium used a lot of references to 8 and 5 (initially referring an octave and the circle of fifths), and these numbers continued to pop up all over the album/artwork/tour, and became referred to as hidden "nuggetz".  Here is a good primer (although I remember the preferred spelling being with a "z"):
https://dreamtheater.fandom.com/wiki/Octavarium_(album)#5/8_Concept_and_nuggets

Ah, I definitely remember the nuggetz craze with 8V, but I didn't remember the 5 part.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2178 on: December 04, 2023, 12:21:18 AM »
I mean, that was what spawned fiveeight as a whole separate forum.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2179 on: December 04, 2023, 04:30:08 AM »
I thought it was the JR "I'd hit it in 5/8" meme :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2180 on: December 04, 2023, 07:13:32 AM »

8+5=13

It was all part of the plan!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: December 04, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »
All of this talk of Rush looking to tour again and those guys looking for a drummer makes me think, wouldn't it be funny if MP left DT for Rush before he could even really rejoin?  It always felt like he was the perfect person for that job if it ever came to it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2182 on: December 04, 2023, 10:05:41 AM »
All of this talk of Rush looking to tour again and those guys looking for a drummer makes me think, wouldn't it be funny if MP left DT for Rush before he could even really rejoin?  It always felt like he was the perfect person for that job if it ever came to it.

What if they ended up getting Mike Mangini since Portnoy is a little booked.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2183 on: December 04, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
Never was a Rush fan, but I would do just about anything to see a DT/Rush tour with Mangini on drums for Rush.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2184 on: December 04, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »
That would be pretty cool

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2185 on: December 04, 2023, 10:36:36 AM »

"Hey guys! About that five year break I wanted to take earlier..."
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2186 on: December 04, 2023, 11:00:57 AM »

I doubt MP would do that, but I guarantee he at least feels torn about this. I agree that he was THE PERFECT fit for a Rush tour. Would have LOVED to see that.

Online gborland

« Reply #2187 on: December 04, 2023, 11:09:40 AM »
That would actually be simultaneously hilarious and tragic.
Graham Borland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2188 on: December 04, 2023, 11:22:14 AM »
Judging by who Geddy and Alex have played with already, as much as I would love to see MP play with them, I highly doubt he would even be given much consideration. I'd expect someone like Danny Carey or Matt Cameron to get the gig if they were just gonna go with a single drummer. Would also love to see MM play with them, too. He would actually be a better fit than MP given his playing style (learning the parts and holding true to them) and his personality might be a better fit too. But I don't think they would go with him either.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2189 on: December 04, 2023, 12:02:11 PM »
If Mike Portnoy had a choice between joining Rush and rejoining Dream Theater, I think he would have still gone back to Dream Theater.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2190 on: December 04, 2023, 12:22:43 PM »

8+5=13

TRAPPED

IN

SIDE

THIS
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2191 on: December 04, 2023, 12:32:13 PM »

Nah.  "Beef" implies you were wronged by the person you have beef with.  JR never did anything to Derek. 

Derek has no beef with JR, he's just an asshole.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2192 on: December 04, 2023, 01:18:30 PM »
And I'm pretty sure they'd all jump over each other to make sure that it's not RUSH without Neil, and yada yada yada. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2193 on: December 04, 2023, 02:38:58 PM »
And I'm pretty sure they'd all jump over each other to make sure that it's not RUSH without Neil, and yada yada yada.
*shrugs*

If Geddy and Alex are playing, and THEY say it's Rush, then it's Rush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2194 on: December 04, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »
*shrugs*

Of course.  I was talking about Geddy and Alex.  I can't imagine them not saying at some point "it's not really Rush without Neil", the same way Plant and Page continually say "it's not Led Zeppelin without a Bonham".

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2195 on: December 04, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »
*shrugs*

Of course.  I was talking about Geddy and Alex.  I can't imagine them not saying at some point "it's not really Rush without Neil", the same way Plant and Page continually say "it's not Led Zeppelin without a Bonham".

And let's not forget Rush we're a band with an album before Neil joined, so if they returned with a final album and/or tour without him, it would just basically book-end with their debut.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2196 on: December 04, 2023, 06:07:08 PM »
Never was a Rush fan, but I would do just about anything to see a DT/Rush tour with Mangini on drums for Rush.

Same. But I wonder how the majority of Rush fans would react to Mangini.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2197 on: December 04, 2023, 06:28:55 PM »
Well they’re mostly incredible snobs (outside this forum), so probably not well.

Online HOF

« Reply #2198 on: December 04, 2023, 07:25:24 PM »
Even if Geddy and Alex get another drummer, I doubt they are doing a major tour. Maybe a handful of special dates. Might not be impossible for MP to do that in addition to DT.

But I think Scotty is right. It’s probably gonna be someone like Cameron, Carey, or Grohl.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2199 on: December 05, 2023, 01:48:50 AM »
I mean why not get MM to join Rush, that would stir the pot.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: December 05, 2023, 02:52:00 AM »
Even if Geddy and Alex get another drummer, I doubt they are doing a major tour. Maybe a handful of special dates. Might not be impossible for MP to do that in addition to DT.

But I think Scotty is right. It’s probably gonna be someone like Cameron, Carey, or Grohl.

Could Matt Cameron or Dave Grohl really fill the seat of Neil?  Carey not a problem, obviously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2201 on: December 05, 2023, 04:28:11 AM »
If Mike Portnoy had a choice between joining Rush and rejoining Dream Theater, I think he would have still gone back to Dream Theater.

I agree.  At this point, I'd think he would rejoin the band he co-founded and that was his "baby" for 25 years.  Especially since he has long-desired this - how many times after the breakup did he state publicly that he'd be open to rejoining/wanted to do so?  Not to mention the effort he has made to reconcile with the other guys where necessary. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:43:22 AM by lightningbolt »

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2202 on: December 05, 2023, 04:52:30 AM »
As for them doing Metropolis 3, I can't see it.  Story aside, where would they go musically from Scenes from a Memory without repeating themselves or risking a flop with something tied to an album & song most DT fans love?  Seems unnecessarily risky, especially as their first album after reuniting with Portnoy.  I could maybe see them considering something along those lines if we get additional reunited albums, but I'd be willing to bet against a full album pt 3 at this point.  A single track on a future album would seem a little more likely. 

I think he was being very kind to that fan by humoring him after he asked a ridiculous question.  Of all things you could ask after he finally rejoins the band, why would you ask that :huh:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:44:09 AM by lightningbolt »

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2203 on: December 05, 2023, 05:58:10 AM »

Could Matt Cameron or Dave Grohl really fill the seat of Neil?  Carey not a problem, obviously.

I don't know that Grohl has the finesse, but Matt Cameron is an incredibly skilled drummer, far more than his work with Soundgarden or PJ gives him credit for. He also is an excellent singer (PJ's secret weapon live), so I could see him really adding something to a Rush tribute in a way that embraces Peart's legacy without merely copying his parts.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2204 on: December 05, 2023, 06:00:10 AM »

I was thinking the same.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk