Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124720 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1610 on: November 11, 2023, 09:46:25 PM »
My least favorite thing about it is that it's a 15 minute medley. Just give me another song in that spot.
OK JP. But medley schmedleys can be really cool! At the very least I hope MP will eventually put together another Instrumedley, perhaps using TSF as a basis for it, much the way he used TDoE as a basis for the original!  :biggrin:

:omg:

Someone please bring Mangini back.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1611 on: November 12, 2023, 04:35:58 AM »
My least favorite thing about it is that it's a 15 minute medley. Just give me another song in that spot.
OK JP. But medley schmedleys can be really cool! At the very least I hope MP will eventually put together another Instrumedley, perhaps using TSF as a basis for it, much the way he used TDoE as a basis for the original!  :biggrin:

No joke. It sounds like hell is about to break loose.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: November 12, 2023, 04:47:40 AM »
Nah. Sounds more like a rock and roll band is about to break (back) out to me :metal
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1613 on: November 12, 2023, 04:55:16 AM »

Oh puh-leeeeeeezzzzze!  :\

Nah. Sounds more like a rock and roll band is about to break (back) out to me :metal
Yep! Things are about to get especially special again!   :coolio
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: November 12, 2023, 05:12:25 AM »

I know, right? Dedalus accused others of being "childish" earlier in this thread and yet so many of their posts are in this vein. The irony appears lost.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: November 12, 2023, 05:13:51 AM »

Yep! Things are about to get especially special again!   :coolio

You know, I don't really care where MP's first show back will be, I already know I am going to be there. Bring it on!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1616 on: November 12, 2023, 05:39:13 AM »

I know, right? Dedalus accused others of being "childish" earlier in this thread and yet so many of their posts are in this vein. The irony appears lost.

To be fair, aren't some fans allowed to wish Mangini was still in the band or will return some day?  I get it, in a perfect world, the entire Dream Theater fanbase would drop to their collective knees and thank the heavens for the return of Mike Portnoy, but that is not reality.  Remember how bummed some were when Portnoy departed the band in 2010?  There are bound to be some who are bummed right now that Mangini is no longer in the band.  I am fine with the change myself, but I understand that some are not, and if they want to vocalize that here, they should be allowed to do that without getting pushback or accusations of being childish every time they do so, IMO. (assuming they do it all within good forum behavior)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1617 on: November 12, 2023, 05:44:52 AM »
To be fair, aren't some fans allowed to wish Mangini was still in the band or will return some day?  I get it, in a perfect world, the entire Dream Theater fanbase would drop to their collective knees and thank the heavens for the return of Mike Portnoy, but that is not reality.  Remember how bummed some were when Portnoy departed the band in 2010?  There are bound to be some who are bummed right now that Mangini is no longer in the band.  I am fine with the change myself, but I understand that some are not, and if they want to vocalize that here, they should be allowed to do that without getting pushback or accusations of being childish every time they do so, IMO. (assuming they do it all within good forum behavior)

Thank you!
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: November 12, 2023, 06:02:20 AM »

No problem with that at all. I am simply referring to the irony with respect to labelling others' attitudes as "childish".
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: November 12, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »

I'm happy to see MP back but even still I'll miss Mangini. The guy is nice and is a monster player. I've seen more Mangini era shows than MP shoes and I always looked forward to watching him play drums.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1620 on: November 12, 2023, 08:16:01 AM »

You mean the same rock and roll band who gave us On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, Our New World, Fall Into the Light, and Answering the Call?

Someone had better notify JP that he was not in a rock band when he won his Grammy.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: November 12, 2023, 09:25:00 AM »
Look, it's clear we have a difference of opinion in terms of what we enjoy about our favourite band. And that's okay.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1622 on: November 12, 2023, 10:04:31 AM »
Look, it's clear we have a difference of opinion in terms of what we enjoy about our favourite band. And that's okay.

1000%. I just don't see how they weren't always first and foremost a rock band, across all eras? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1623 on: November 12, 2023, 10:07:06 AM »

1000%. I just don't see how they weren't always first and foremost a rock band, across all eras?

They certainly were, weren't they?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: November 12, 2023, 10:24:40 AM »

Yes. And it's possible they'll start looking more like a live rock band and less like a taped once again.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1625 on: November 12, 2023, 12:31:04 PM »
Like some others, the return of MP has prompted me to go back and revisit the, now finished, Mangini era to see how I feel about it.  It’s been a long time since I listened to Dream Theater, probably not since the View tour so I wanted to see how the MM songs had settled.  Did it still feel like “new” DT or were they now old familiar tunes that were just part of the catalogue?

I found it was the latter, these now just felt as much like Dream Theater as any albums in the Portnoy era.  The two which really felt like old friends to me were ADTOE and (bulletproof vest on) The Astonishing.  I’m guessing that’s still not a favourite around here!  I think they are the two most inspired albums although, in the case of The Astonishing, not necessarily the best albums.

I think ADTOE probably is the best album of the MM era.  They felt really refreshed, like everyone was raring to go, Myung back in the writing fold, La Brie given more to do.  Just felt like everyone was full of ideas.  On The Backs Of Angels was a brilliant introduction to the new lineup and Breaking All Illusions remains the standout song of the Mangini era to me, one of the best DT songs full stop.

The self-titled didn’t fare as well for me which is strange as I really used to like it.  It feels like it needed a bit more work to polish it a bit.  Some clunky transitions, abrupt intros, some choruses that don’t quite fit with the verses.  Lots of good bits but not all of them go together as well as they could.  The album cover is a little non-descript too and they didn’t even come up with a title.  It’s not a bad album, DT don’t do bad albums imo, but not their best.  Illumination Theory though is clearly a standout here, so many cool ideas and moments.  I just wish the ambient/orchestral bit didn’t go on quite as long.  An undoubted DT classic song though for me and lifts the album as a whole.

The Astonishing is a conundrum as I think it’s absolutely the most ambitious, inspired, imaginative MM era album with catchy melodies, imaginative riffs, incredible playing and singing.  I also understand a lot of the criticisms though.  It is a slog to get through, there are too many piano led ballad moments, it does go into cheesy musical theatre stuff at times and I straight up cringe at some of it.  For all those reasons, it’s clearly not their best album in my opinion but it’s their most creative and inspired one.

Distance Over Time is very much back in their comfort zone which they probably always intended to do after TA.  I wouldn’t say it’s DT by numbers as that has negative connotations, it’s just a very, very solid middle of the pack DT album for me.  More concise songs, more modern metal sound, very consistent throughout but nothing to blow me away.  At Wits End and Pale Blue Dot probably the standouts here although I think Out Of Reach could have been really great if it was a longer song, I love that chorus and it’s a shame it’s a one and done.

The last one is kind of a mixture of the first two Mangini albums.  The songs are not concise like DOT, they allow themselves to play around like on ADTOE but it also suffers a little from some things not quite sounding like they fit together.  I think the title track is brilliant apart from the weird ending which kind of spoils it a bit.  I think Answering The Call is one of their best more commercial sounding songs, I really enjoy that one.  The Alien has grown on me a lot too.  Others though sound a bit similar to each other or have a chorus that comes a little out of nowhere or go into pointless noodling.

Overall though it’s been an enjoyable trip down memory lane and Mangini can be proud of the DT albums he was a part of.  I think all the albums have things to offer and are enjoyable to listen to.  ADTOE is probably the best and The Astonishing is probably the least enjoyable but I could probably come up with an abridged version that is one of the best!  It’s such a mixed record.  I hope one day Petrucci really tries something like that again where he locks himself away and spends that time intricately planning out an epic album full of great riffs and musical ideas.  Just maybe stay away from the musical theatre tropes and keep it to one cd!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1626 on: November 12, 2023, 12:51:31 PM »

I was just mocking a bit. Just a little sarcastic sense of humor.  :biggrin:

We went through thirteen long years in which everything was criticized and the solution to all the problems was right next door, playing with Neal Morse (and other guys). I only did the opposite here. But I didn't seriously say to bring MM back. The band decided to have MP back, it wouldn't make sense to wait for things to change again.

Yes, how is it possible that we are not all kneeling in gratitude? Bunch of heretics!

There were thirteen years of questioning "why aren't you unhappy that MP left?" and now let's move on to "why aren't you happy that MP is back".  :lol

You can't get away from it... At the end of the day, everything always revolves around MP. We already know that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1627 on: November 12, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »
WTF is happening in this thread

Welcome to the forum!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1628 on: November 12, 2023, 01:46:40 PM »
The Velvet Underground
Marillion (yes; they are not as big as they were in '85-'87 and never achieved that after).
Black Sabbath (except for Dio)
Deep Purple
Genesis
I think these are just verifiably incorrect.

I can't imagine anyone saying "The Velvet Underground really took off when Lou Reed left!  That Doug Yule is the bomb!!!"  :) :) :)

Tony Martin - much as I love his work - played small clubs with Sabbath; with Ozzy they played stadia.  The Hughes/Gillan eras are, largely, afterthoughts.

The Ray Wilson version of Genesis died a quiet death.   Even Mike Rutherford says they maybe should have let things lie after Phil left.

The quintessential version of Purple is Mark II with Ian Gillan.  Yes, they put Coverdale in the RnRHoF, but I'm pretty sure Joe Lynn Turner didn't get the nod.  ;) They barely lasted a year and a half before Blackmore bailed, and the Bolin version is best left unremarked on.

Not going to comment on the others, but the music industry might have been done with Marillion in the mid-90's (at least in the US) even if Fish was in the band. I don't think the context can be ignored. Don't know how the band would have evolved after that. Maybe they go independent or maybe they call it a day.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1629 on: November 12, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »

Doesn't really matter to me either way. All that matters to me is that I dig the music. Not going to know that for a while. It'll sound like Dream Theater to me regardless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1630 on: November 12, 2023, 02:14:17 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1631 on: November 12, 2023, 02:18:13 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: November 12, 2023, 05:29:20 PM »
A good warm hearted welcoming never goes astray.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1633 on: November 12, 2023, 06:06:56 PM »
The Velvet Underground
Marillion (yes; they are not as big as they were in '85-'87 and never achieved that after).
Black Sabbath (except for Dio)
Deep Purple
Genesis
I think these are just verifiably incorrect.

I can't imagine anyone saying "The Velvet Underground really took off when Lou Reed left!  That Doug Yule is the bomb!!!"  :) :) :)

Tony Martin - much as I love his work - played small clubs with Sabbath; with Ozzy they played stadia.  The Hughes/Gillan eras are, largely, afterthoughts.

The Ray Wilson version of Genesis died a quiet death.   Even Mike Rutherford says they maybe should have let things lie after Phil left.

The quintessential version of Purple is Mark II with Ian Gillan.  Yes, they put Coverdale in the RnRHoF, but I'm pretty sure Joe Lynn Turner didn't get the nod.  ;) They barely lasted a year and a half before Blackmore bailed, and the Bolin version is best left unremarked on.

I somehow missed this when you posted it initially. On virtually all of these, we are talking about two different lineup changes.  :lol

Velvet Underground - I thought you were referring to Nico.

Sabbath - I'll concede on that point.

Genesis - I thought you were referring to Phil Collins taking over for Peter Gabriel.

Purple - This one is pretty debatable, the Coverdale lineup may have been shortlived but the Burn album was not just a solid start but a pretty major improvement over the last Gillan album. Clashing egos kept that band from really reaching its potential as there's really no reason they couldn't have been a major force in the late 70s into the 80s (and for that matter, Perfect Strangers is not that good).

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1634 on: November 12, 2023, 07:10:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with Dedalus posting about wanting MM back. As much as I'm happy for MP to be back, I will miss MM, too. The guy is a class act and deserves all the success he has had and will have in the future. My specific response to Dedalus was a response to *why* he posted what he did, when he did - because with MP's return, there might be the return of medleys too. Having read one of his followup posts, I’m glad it was meant mostly in jest.  :)

You mean the same rock and roll band who gave us On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, Our New World, Fall Into the Light, and Answering the Call?

Someone had better notify JP that he was not in a rock band when he won his Grammy.
Opinions and all that, but 3 of the songs you cited are not exactly the greatest examples (at least to me) for you to make your point.   :lol

Yes. And it's possible they'll start looking more like a live rock band and less like a taped once again.
Amen Paul! Exactly.  :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1635 on: November 12, 2023, 10:30:19 PM »

Opinions and all that, but 3 of the songs you cited are not exactly the greatest examples (at least to me) for you to make your point.   :lol

What's funny is I seriously for the life of me can't figure out which three you're talking about. Those are some of the best tracks, if not THE best track, on their respective albums. ???
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1636 on: November 12, 2023, 10:39:16 PM »

What's funny is I seriously for the life of me can't figure out which three you're talking about. Those are some of the best tracks, if not THE best track, on their respective albums. ???
OtBoA and TEI are OK but sorta meh - I think the fact that neither has been featured in the setlist since 2014 says something (although I know the same is true of everything from the s/t where everything was just played on a single tour). And ONW? Can't stand that song. Since Crystalstars was trying to argue her point, she would've been better off picking some other tracks. The obvious choice from ADToE would've been BAI or perhaps BitS, from the s/t probably IT although I think TBP is also a standout on that album. And if something from a divisive album like TA had to be included, MoB would have been the best bet in general. Even with FItL - it's a song I personally love, but either AWE or PBD would've been better tracks to reference there, too considering the general taste of this forum.  ;)

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1637 on: November 13, 2023, 01:07:22 AM »
This announcement just feels a bit odd for me, although I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Aside from the press release, cobbled together pic and a few comments on social media, has there been ANY other publicity for this? It feels really downplayed, honestly. This is BIG news for the prog / metal community and yet... still no interviews, no band picture / video of them together. Perhaps this will all come in time.

Anyway, I was a big fan on A view, and bringing back Portnoy I don't think will have much impact on album quality, honestly. I would like to see them push themselves for something a bit different though. Even bringing back some elements from older albums like jazzy/bluesy sections, the "nuggets", samples or song callbacks would add more depth and set it apart from a "standard" prog metal album.
Where I think/hope will improve is the live show... more improvs, a more loose show (i.e. no click), more surprises. I would personally like to see it return to be more of a "rock" gig than a performance, which is what it has moved towards. Have seating available, but bring back the GA. I just hope they give Portnoy SOME creative control back, otherwise this move will be fairly pointless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: November 13, 2023, 03:47:47 AM »
This announcement just feels a bit odd for me, although I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Aside from the press release, cobbled together pic and a few comments on social media, has there been ANY other publicity for this? It feels really downplayed, honestly. This is BIG news for the prog / metal community and yet... still no interviews, no band picture / video of them together. Perhaps this will all come in time.

The reason there is no publicity is because outside DT and MP fans, no one gives a flying fuck or even know who either are.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1639 on: November 13, 2023, 03:51:26 AM »
May I say the Wolfking Reality Checks are a thing of beauty?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: November 13, 2023, 04:02:31 AM »

You certainly may.  I am honoured you think this oh great one.

One day though, I'll check my own reality for once.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: November 13, 2023, 04:16:22 AM »

They're even better when I remember to read them in an Aussie accent :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1642 on: November 13, 2023, 04:19:46 AM »

OtBoA and TEI are OK but sorta meh - I think the fact that neither has been featured in the setlist since 2014 says something (although I know the same is true of everything from the s/t where everything was just played on a single tour). And ONW? Can't stand that song. Since Crystalstars was trying to argue her point, she would've been better off picking some other tracks. The obvious choice from ADToE would've been BAI or perhaps BitS, from the s/t probably IT although I think TBP is also a standout on that album. And if something from a divisive album like TA had to be included, MoB would have been the best bet in general. Even with FItL - it's a song I personally love, but either AWE or PBD would've been better tracks to reference there, too considering the general taste of this forum.  ;)

I chose those songs not because they're the best or even my favorites, but because they illustrate that DT never failed to be a "rock band" during this era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: November 13, 2023, 04:19:57 AM »

:metal

The accent only makes them more convincing too.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: November 13, 2023, 04:20:57 AM »

:metal

The accent only makes them more convincing too.

Do you remember Alf from Home & Away? Kinda like that :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK