Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132327 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1505 on: November 09, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
Heck, Meanstreak might not be a bad opening act to have.

I really like this. I enjoyed the hell out of them opening for John P, and made it a point to catch their full sets both times.  Really, really impressed.

I thought the idea of the wives opening for JP with MP was an awesome idea.  I enjoyed it for that reason, but musically they didn't really click for me.  I'd rather not see it again, personally.  I'd much rather a Devin Townsend or similar open for DT. But maybe if Meanstreak became active and made new music, it could make sense to do.

Well, they do have a new album coming out though.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1506 on: November 09, 2023, 01:25:14 PM »
Heck, Meanstreak might not be a bad opening act to have.

I really like this. I enjoyed the hell out of them opening for John P, and made it a point to catch their full sets both times.  Really, really impressed.

I thought the idea of the wives opening for JP with MP was an awesome idea.  I enjoyed it for that reason, but musically they didn't really click for me.  I'd rather not see it again, personally.  I'd much rather a Devin Townsend or similar open for DT. But maybe if Meanstreak became active and made new music, it could make sense to do.

Well, they do have a new album coming out though.

I meant to ask Mike in Tennessee about whether they had new music coming or if they were going to re-release their old album, but I forgot until it was too late.   ;) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1507 on: November 09, 2023, 01:29:21 PM »
New album (well, EP) coming soon:  https://meanstreakofficial.com/

According to their site, the old one is on Spotify.  I talked to Bettina and Yael after the show in SF, and I remember talking about the original album, and while I remember them saying something about whether it would be re-released, I can't remember for the life of me what the answer was.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1508 on: November 09, 2023, 02:37:09 PM »
The thing is, I don't find anything pitiful or sad about anything posted recently. Nobody is attacking or "slaying" James here.
To me, James and MP's relationship going forward is the elephant in the room. What if James sings on the next tour like he sang on the last one? How's that going to go over when on the last tour, it was at least twice as bad as the 6 D's tour where the band had to sit him down.

I'll personally believe James makes a second album with the band post MP's return when I see it.

Now I'm going to make a lot of assumptions and probably not a lot of sense but - strange beautiful crazy beast again -  as a fan I can't help to feel I've been knowing the guys for 30 plus years while realising I actually know nothing. True, all the pieces are there for a Six Degrees Tour deflagration (and worse), but only if we pretend the context hasn't radically changed, but it has:

(Here we go with the assumptions, but please bear with me)

1. I doubt the Mike / James past situation wasn't the very first point of mandatory agreement for this whole "original" line-up fiesta.
2. The Mike sitting James down was Founder Mike, the Mike facing the issue today is Returning after Exile Mike. That tends to change emotions quite a lot in a band relationship.
3. The 2001/2002 James could be expected to tear walls down, James today could be only respected for playing the instrument father time loves to damage the most.
4. Now Mike has seen both DT without James (WDADU, going nowhere) and without himself (3 great albums, 2 ok ones). That tends to change emotions even more.
5. Mike in 2001/2002 aimed at metal world domination and James' "problems" were on the way, Mike today can be content to stay relevant and close a titanic career gracefully.
6. Today John would never entertain the notion of dumping James, and he knows he controls the band now.
7. The market and industry today are light years from 2001 (you used to sell records and own your image and merch rights), changing your voice is the epitome of high risk-zero gain move.
8. (Because NUGGETZ!) I need to believe no one is degitalised or dehumanised enough to forsake a brother for 30 years (and relative musical chemistry, the most important asset for a band) in order to grab a handful of hypothetical new fans who won't give a crap anyway because nowadays music is mostly browsed, not listened to.

Said that, I agree we won't see a second James' album post MP's return, because I suspect there will be no second DT album post MP's return. I feel the return itself has been a nice home stretch move for The last big firework and graceful retirement. I'm not ready (and willing) for the old prostate DT nostalgia act.

Alessandro, all you say is very reasonable. I hope you're right.

However, there will definitely be at least a second DT album post MP. NO way are JP and MP ready to hang it up. If the new album comes on in 9/24 and the tour for two years, and then go into the studio in early 2027, then I'd worry about Jordan carrying on, but I think the band could replace Jordan if he left. I definitely worry about James being there for the next one.

I mean, is it more likely JP and MP carry on some iteration of DT at that point, or simply form a new band, which seems kind of unseeable to me at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1509 on: November 09, 2023, 03:01:32 PM »

According to their site, the old one is on Spotify.  I talked to Bettina and Yael after the show in SF, and I remember talking about the original album, and while I remember them saying something about whether it would be re-released, I can't remember for the life of me what the answer was.  :lol

I'd really love to find out that Mrs. Myung is super bubbly and outgoing (i.e., the complete opposite of JM).  By the way, given that her name Lisa, why is she listed as "Martens Myung" on the band's website?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1510 on: November 09, 2023, 03:06:17 PM »
Are there any new interviews, posts, etc. from DT or Mangini regarding the change? The band has been silent since the announcement.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1511 on: November 09, 2023, 03:11:36 PM »

I'd really love to find out that Mrs. Myung is super bubbly and outgoing (i.e., the complete opposite of JM).  By the way, given that her name Lisa, why is she listed as "Martens Myung" on the band's website?

Full name is Lisa Martens Myung, and I believe Martens is her maiden name.  Website is probably a typo where her first name got left off and nobody caught it. 

Having met her after the above-mentioned show in SF, I wouldn't say she is "bubbly and outgoing," but she is very personable and likes to talk and laugh--or at least, that's how she came across in my 20 minute or so interaction with the three of them. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: November 09, 2023, 03:18:18 PM »
The thing is, I don't find anything pitiful or sad about anything posted recently. Nobody is attacking or "slaying" James here.
To me, James and MP's relationship going forward is the elephant in the room. What if James sings on the next tour like he sang on the last one? How's that going to go over when on the last tour, it was at least twice as bad as the 6 D's tour where the band had to sit him down.

I'll personally believe James makes a second album with the band post MP's return when I see it.

Now I'm going to make a lot of assumptions and probably not a lot of sense but - strange beautiful crazy beast again -  as a fan I can't help to feel I've been knowing the guys for 30 plus years while realising I actually know nothing. True, all the pieces are there for a Six Degrees Tour deflagration (and worse), but only if we pretend the context hasn't radically changed, but it has:

1. I doubt the Mike / James past situation wasn't the very first point of mandatory agreement for this whole "original" line-up fiesta.
2. The Mike sitting James down was Founder Mike, the Mike facing the issue today is Returning after Exile Mike. That tends to change emotions quite a lot in a band relationship.
3. The 2001/2002 James could be expected to tear walls down, James today could be only respected for playing the instrument father time loves to damage the most.
4. Now Mike has seen both DT without James (WDADU, going nowhere) and without himself (3 great albums, 2 ok ones). That tends to change emotions even more.
5. Mike in 2001/2002 aimed at metal world domination and James' "problems" were on the way, Mike today can be content to stay relevant and close a titanic career gracefully.
6. Today John would never entertain the notion of dumping James, and he knows he controls the band now.
7. The market and industry today are light years from 2001 (you used to sell records and own your image and merch rights), changing your voice is the epitome of high risk-zero gain move.
8. (Because NUGGETZ!) I need to believe no one is degitalised or dehumanised enough to forsake a brother for 30 years (and relative musical chemistry, the most important asset for a band) in order to grab a handful of hypothetical new fans who won't give a crap anyway because nowadays music is mostly browsed, not listened to.

Said that, I agree we won't see a second James' album post MP's return, because I suspect there will be no second DT album post MP's return. I feel the return itself has been a nice home stretch move for The last big firework and graceful retirement. I'm not ready (and willing) for the old prostate DT nostalgia act.

However, there will definitely be at least a second DT album post MP. NO way are JP and MP ready to hang it up. If the new album comes on in 9/24 and the tour for two years, and then go into the studio in early 2027, then I'd worry about Jordan carrying on, but I think the band could replace Jordan if he left. I definitely worry about James being there for the next one.

I mean, is it more likely JP and MP carry on some iteration of DT at that point, or simply form a new band, which seems kind of unseeable to me at this point.

This is a good thinking point.  If MP didn't rejoin, we all could see JP being the one to carry on a lot longer than say Jordan or James.  If JP carried on solo as say DT with Myung and maybe MM, it would be somewhat okay but questionable.  If it's only say JP and MP with maybe JM, I think they could definitely carry on as the DT monkier.  MP coming back gives a lot of leverage moving forward IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #1513 on: November 09, 2023, 03:24:09 PM »

Full name is Lisa Martens Myung, and I believe Martens is her maiden name.  Website is probably a typo where her first name got left off and nobody caught it. 

Falling through pages of Martens on angels...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: November 09, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »
If you follow the link provided by Bosk to their website, there's a bunch of pictures of them back in the day. It's kind of a trip to see them all listed under their maiden names. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1515 on: November 09, 2023, 03:46:23 PM »

Just because I also play bass, I've taken note of this ever since I found out about the DT/Meanstreak connection.  At one point, she used the name "Pace" (and I'd swear there's a "thanks" credit in one of the DT albums.  At the website, there's this (could it BE more '80s?) photo that identifies her as "Martens Pace."

I thought it might be a typo, but she's identified as "Martens Myung" in multiple places on the site, so...who knows?

I took note of that back in the day - including the fact that it's capitalized in the lyrics.

The mystery remains.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1516 on: November 09, 2023, 04:08:02 PM »
Interesting.  I always assumed Martens was her maiden name, but maybe that was a bad assumption on my part.  Honestly, I didn't even think to question that assumption until you brought it up.  Maybe it's her middle name, and she prefers to use it as her first name?  I've known plenty of people who do that.  :dunno:

Online HOF

« Reply #1517 on: November 09, 2023, 04:13:37 PM »

Just because I also play bass, I've taken note of this ever since I found out about the DT/Meanstreak connection.  At one point, she used the name "Pace" (and I'd swear there's a "thanks" credit in one of the DT albums.  At the website, there's this (could it BE more '80s?) photo that identifies her as "Martens Pace."

I thought it might be a typo, but she's identified as "Martens Myung" in multiple places on the site, so...who knows?

I took note of that back in the day - including the fact that it's capitalized in the lyrics.

The mystery remains.

Pretty sure the “Martens on angels” line refers to a model wearing Doc Martens.

Also, according to JM’s bio on the DT website, her full name is Lisa Martens Pace:

Myung is married to Lisa Martens Pace, the bass player in the defunct all-female heavy metal band Meanstreak. Two other members of the band, Rena Sands and Marlene Apuzzo, are married to Petrucci and Portnoy, respectively.

https://dreamtheater.net/band/john-myung/

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:18:49 PM by HOF »

Online gborland

« Reply #1518 on: November 09, 2023, 04:17:58 PM »
Maybe her name was Kevin so she had to adopt her middle name to avoid confusion.
Graham Borland

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1519 on: November 09, 2023, 04:21:43 PM »
Maybe her name was Kevin so she had to adopt her middle name to avoid confusion.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #1520 on: November 09, 2023, 04:28:30 PM »

The funniest thing about this story to me is that there were two Johns in the band and that was ok, but two Kevins was a bridge too far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1521 on: November 09, 2023, 04:36:17 PM »
As a renowned philosopher once said, if you don't understand why two Kevins is one too many, we are not a match.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1522 on: November 09, 2023, 04:39:50 PM »
Interesting.  I always assumed Martens was her maiden name, but maybe that was a bad assumption on my part.  Honestly, I didn't even think to question that assumption until you brought it up.  Maybe it's her middle name, and she prefers to use it as her first name?  I've known plenty of people who do that.  :dunno:

Well, in the DT liner notes, hasn't JM thanked the Martens family?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1523 on: November 10, 2023, 01:06:35 AM »

The funniest thing about this story to me is that there were two Johns in the band and that was ok, but two Kevins was a bridge too far.

And the even funnier detail is that the Kevin problem was solved two years after LaBrie joined. The guy has to be professionally known to each and everyone who isn't longtime friends and family by his middle name because he joined a band where the guy named like him left 2 years after he joined the band.

I can't even think of James as "Kevin", even though that's how they call him in the family. Just like it feels weird to imagine the family of Alice Cooper calling him Vincent or Vinnie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1524 on: November 10, 2023, 02:04:20 AM »
Then again, we all should have learnt a lesson in 2010 with Mike's departure to not talk out of our asses
I'm sorry for going so far back but I remember the complete opposite haha :lol I remember people (not people on here, on the wider internet) speculating about relationships in the band, Mike's time in Avenged Sevenfold being a factor, that MP would regret it sooner rather than later, and the more information came out, the clearer picture we got about a lot of people "speculating" correctly.

More recently, I remember I raised the question on this forum several times that James and MP aren't just simply not keeping in touch and that there is actually a rift or an argument between them that needs to be healed, and got convinced otherwise, that there probably wasn't, and if there was, it wasn't a big deal. Then boom, JLB and MP talk about it themselves, and whaddaya know, it was a big deal to them!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1525 on: November 10, 2023, 02:07:12 AM »
Regarding the discussion on how long the band might carry on for, I think that at this point they'd go for ten more years, or five more albums.

They can release an album every two years and tour behind it, concluding things in 2035 for the band's 50th anniversary. Jordan will be 77, James will be 71, which is not that close to how old some of the Deep Purple and The Rolling stones guys are, and yet they're still out there.

Of course, adjustments will have to be made regarding some performances, but still, it could be done.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1526 on: November 10, 2023, 06:00:36 AM »

So, if the both of us are right we're golden!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1527 on: November 10, 2023, 06:04:53 AM »
Regarding the discussion on how long the band might carry on for, I think that at this point they'd go for ten more years, or five more albums.

They can release an album every two years and tour behind it, concluding things in 2035 for the band's 50th anniversary. Jordan will be 77, James will be 71, which is not that close to how old some of the Deep Purple and The Rolling stones guys are, and yet they're still out there.

Of course, adjustments will have to be made regarding some performances, but still, it could be done.

This is what I hope for.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline emtee

« Reply #1528 on: November 10, 2023, 06:12:23 AM »
It's hard for me to envision a 77-year-old guy playing in a metal band. Not saying it can't or won't happen but in my minds eye, I see Joe Biden trying  to get through Honor Thy Father...and I chuckle to myself.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1529 on: November 10, 2023, 06:33:48 AM »
Mick Jagger is three years older I believe  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: November 10, 2023, 06:49:44 AM »

She's listed as having the last name "Pace" on the early Meanstreak press.  "Martens" could be her middle name AND her mom's family name; that's pretty common. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: November 10, 2023, 06:52:10 AM »
It's hard for me to envision a 77-year-old guy playing in a metal band. Not saying it can't or won't happen but in my minds eye, I see Joe Biden trying  to get through Honor Thy Father...and I chuckle to myself.

I was talking to my wife about this about a week or so ago; it seems like old people were so much OLDER when I was a kid.  My grandma was in her late 60s and she always looked 100 to me.  Now you see people in their 80s and they look twenty years younger.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: November 10, 2023, 06:53:05 AM »
"She resumed her frantic Pace"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: November 10, 2023, 06:54:29 AM »

I was talking to my wife about this about a week or so ago; it seems like old people were so much OLDER when I was a kid.  My grandma was in her late 60s and she always looked 100 to me.  Now you see people in their 80s and they look twenty years younger.

A great video on the topic of looking older in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqt8T3tJIE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1534 on: November 10, 2023, 06:59:20 AM »

She's listed as having the last name "Pace" on the early Meanstreak press.  "Martens" could be her middle name AND her mom's family name; that's pretty common.

Right, like maybe it's her mother's family that is the core unit. Yeah, that makes sense.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1535 on: November 10, 2023, 08:04:45 AM »
Good on them. Haven't really kept up with DT anymore and probably won't be, haven't really cared the direction their music has taken in the last decade or so, but seems like Mangini's departure was also handled with style so welcome back MP!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1536 on: November 10, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »

It's one of those odd little things that really isn't important enough to care about, but it's also one of those little things that that, when I think about it, bugs me, and I want to know the full details.

:lol :lol

Dude...I just hit birthday #56 (and I think you did the same earlier this year).  When we were kids, people in their mid-50s were ancient.  I've now outlived my father by 3 years, and I'm pretty sure I don't look as old as he did when he died.  I think I posted something a while back comparing the now 54-year old Jennifer Aniston to someone who was in her mid-50s in the early/mid-'70s, and it's night and day.

Online HOF

« Reply #1537 on: November 10, 2023, 09:13:13 AM »
My wife and I were watching this old black and white movie, Marty, the other night. It's about an Italian guy in his 30s in NYC who isn't married, and his mom is freaking out that he'll never have a son and all that. Anyway, his mom and aunt are having a conversation about being widows and how awful it is to not be wanted or needed anymore, and the ancient appearing aunt say something along the lines of "I'm 52" and we both about lost it. Now granted, European immigrants in those days probably had a harder life, but it still kind of cracked us up to think how much older they seemed than people in their 50s today.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1538 on: November 10, 2023, 11:43:13 AM »
The news of MP's return prompted me to cycle through the discography. I'm sure a few others are doing the same.

One thing that really stood out to me was just how damn amazing JP's playing is throughout. And I would even say, the last few albums had some of his best work...for my tastes anyways. Beautiful solo's and great riffs.

The other thing that struck me is that I don't think JR has what I would consider a signature solo that transcends. You know, a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emmerson type solo that is locked into my brain forever and the minute I hear it, I start to whistle or hum it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: November 10, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
Interesting point. I've always loved his break in Blind Faith. Was gutted when I finally saw it live and he ad libbed it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)