Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124689 times)

Offline 1neeto

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #770 on: October 26, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »
I didn’t expect this until MP and JP worked on that JP solo album, then LTE got together again, then he started to attend shows and hang with the guys. I was hoping he would at least guest in a random show for a few songs. But what really got me thinking he’s on his way back in was that selfie he took with JLB. You could see in their faces that everything was good and regretted all these lost years to drama. The only obvious step was to bring him back. I’m thinking one last album, and a farewell tour in 2025 when the band turns 40. Maybe even bring Kevin Moore too? That would be epic.

What I would like to know is more than the press release style of comments from Mangini. Not much details other than he seemed to have bowed out gracefully. 13 years is a long time, it doesn’t seem right he was pushed aside just like that. It’s possible he saw what was coming and bowed out before things got tense. I guess it’s going to be a closely guarded secret for a while.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #771 on: October 26, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »
And I will emphasize (since I know that most probably haven’t gone back and read all 18 odd pages) that it’s easier to make up with a difficult ex-coworker when you don’t actually have to work with them. Just because they made up doesn’t mean that they will suddenly work well together. James seemed truly relieved to have Mike NOT breathing down his neck about how to sing stuff…or having to compete with a second front man.  Of course it’s easy to remember the good times when the working relationship ceases.  But as far as I can tell, there’s been a bit of friction between Mike and James *in a working environment* going all the way back to FII.

The #1 question on my mind is…can Mike be brought back into a working relationship with James without one of them driving the other crazy?   Would James walk if Mike started calling him out on his performance?  These are my questions way before anything I’m wondering about Mangini…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #772 on: October 26, 2023, 07:10:04 PM »
But as far as I can tell, there’s been a bit of friction between Mike and James *in a working environment* going all the way back to FII.

The #1 question on my mind is…can Mike be brought back into a working relationship with James without one of them driving the other crazy?   Would James walk if Mike started calling him out on his performance?

This is also my biggest question too. Especially if James struggles as he did this past tour. It was really the elephant in the room.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #773 on: October 26, 2023, 07:10:09 PM »
The #1 question on my mind is…can Mike be brought back into a working relationship with James without one of them driving the other crazy?   Would James walk if Mike started calling him out on his performance?  These are my questions way before anything I’m wondering about Mangini…

This. ^^^^^^^^^^
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: October 26, 2023, 07:14:08 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if one or two members of the band made it clear that maybe they only want to do this for a couple more years, so Petrucci, who wanted it (the return of Portnoy) to happen eventually anyway, figured this was their last shot to get Portnoy back to "put the classic lineup back together" before it is too late.
I don't know as they have anything specific in mind, but I think it's probably pretty obvious to all of them that if they were ever going to do this it was pretty much time to get rolling with it.

I think it was probably also pretty clear that they had pretty much run their course, and they could either peter out as they've been doing, or try and go out with a bang. Clearly this is the best move for them from a finance and popularity point of view. In other words, obvious move is obvious.

:tup :tup

But as far as I can tell, there’s been a bit of friction between Mike and James *in a working environment* going all the way back to FII.

This is also my biggest question too. Especially if James struggles as he did this past tour. It was really the elephant in the room.

Agreed with both of you.  It's easy to think that they will all go back to being one happy Dream Theater family, but reality often kicks in sooner rather than later, and even though Portnoy seems to have mellowed out a bit, it is hard to see him gritting his teeth and saying nothing if LaBrie continues to struggle.  While I doubt anyone expects him to be able to sing like he did when he was younger, the obvious hope is that James does a lot of work in this downtime and gets his voice back in good shape to where he can at least deliver good quality performances. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #775 on: October 26, 2023, 07:20:35 PM »

Agreed with both of you. 

I'm in an agreement triangle with Kev and J-Dude. WTF? Next thing you know, MP will be rejoining Dream Theater.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #776 on: October 26, 2023, 07:23:31 PM »
What I would like to see happen is MP stay away from the vocals more or less completely.  Obviously if he writes some vocal melodies he'll need to be somewhat involved, but I'd like James to continue recording on his own - he's been sounding great on the albums.  Maybe let JP be the go between if Mike doesn't like something.  On the live front, I don't know what he can do.  I'm sure James is trying.  He sounded pretty good to me at the couple Dreamsonic shows I saw - not perfect, but I enjoyed it just fine.  Maybe if he knows a good vocal coach that James would be willing to work with or something, but just getting on his case probably isn't the answer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #777 on: October 26, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »

Agreed with both of you. 

I'm in an agreement triangle with Kev and J-Dude. WTF? Next thing you know, MP will be rejoining Dream Theater.

“I love this bar…” - Norm

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #778 on: October 26, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
And I will emphasize (since I know that most probably haven’t gone back and read all 18 odd pages) that it’s easier to make up with a difficult ex-coworker when you don’t actually have to work with them. Just because they made up doesn’t mean that they will suddenly work well together. James seemed truly relieved to have Mike NOT breathing down his neck about how to sing stuff…or having to compete with a second front man.  Of course it’s easy to remember the good times when the working relationship ceases.  But as far as I can tell, there’s been a bit of friction between Mike and James *in a working environment* going all the way back to FII.

I think you're onto something here.

One question that would probably need to be asked/answered if tensions rise between them would be who is more important for the band and the fans Mike P or James?*

*Hypothetically speaking, of course.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #779 on: October 26, 2023, 07:52:01 PM »
Really strange the announcement came while MP is on tour with TWD imo. Couldn't have waited a week more?

It's possible Mangini has an announcement to make, or another related party kind of forced their timing.

https://bravewords.com/news/former-dream-theater-drummer-mike-mangini-reveals-release-date-tracklisting-for-debut-solo-album

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #780 on: October 26, 2023, 08:27:25 PM »
I just wanna pop back in here and say that this is the first thing that has stirred my interest in Dream Theater in many years.  Mike Portnoy is, in my opinion, what this band needs and has been sorely missing.  To me it is quite obvious that he has always been passionate about music to a level hugely exceeding the other guys, and passion is what I haven't been hearing in DT's music for the last decade. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #781 on: October 26, 2023, 08:45:58 PM »
I'm not sure that analogy helps.  When I was growing up and Alan Parsons was popular, "Parson's" was also the name of a popular ammonia bathroom cleaner brand.  To me, they both stank equally, so I have always associated them with one another.

But Alan Parsons is responsible for providing the theme song to the greatest NBA intro of all time.  Just hearing the song can give me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6kiimEsYc

And look at that amazing 1997 CGI.   :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #782 on: October 26, 2023, 08:51:50 PM »
I must be the only person here who likes MP's vocals. Unless we're talking about whatever growly thing he did on SC or whenever that was. I don't care for that. But I do enjoy his backing vocals in DT, and if they wanted to give him a lead where he actually sings I'd be fine with that too.

Online faizoff

« Reply #783 on: October 26, 2023, 08:56:54 PM »
Haven't checked most of the thread, but Wey far in advance did you know before the official announcement ?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #784 on: October 26, 2023, 09:11:57 PM »
I must be the only person here who likes MP's vocals. Unless we're talking about whatever growly thing he did on SC or whenever that was. I don't care for that. But I do enjoy his backing vocals in DT, and if they wanted to give him a lead where he actually sings I'd be fine with that too.

:omg:

I love Flying Colors debut, easily the best thing involving MP in 13 years. But I dislike one song on this album, guess which one?  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #785 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »

I love Flying Colors debut, easily the best thing involving MP in 13 years. But I dislike one song on this album, guess which one?  :lol

I love that song, and think his vocal is perfect for it. I also thought he sounded really good on Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #786 on: October 26, 2023, 09:23:34 PM »

I love that song, and think his vocal is perfect for it. I also thought he sounded really good on Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe.

I don't even remember him singing on The Absolute Universe.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #787 on: October 26, 2023, 09:49:33 PM »

I always liked his backing vocals especially on Scenes.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #788 on: October 26, 2023, 09:52:30 PM »
Off, but... suddenly I was thinking, 'where's Kotowboy' since al those Portnoy-fans are back in here, but I remember I haven't red Kotowboy in a while. Can be he's still active in threads I do not participate, as well though.

Banned, I believe.

I wondered what happened to him. I'm not familiar with his post history outside of the Motorcycle thread in the Off Topic section.

I always liked his backing vocals especially on Scenes.

I like the backing vocals on Prophets of War.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #789 on: October 26, 2023, 09:54:29 PM »
I truly did not care at all for his contributions to A Nightmare to Remember (and I’m especially glad that John reigned him in or it would have been even worse)

However, I quite enjoy all his other vocal contributions in the DT catalog.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #790 on: October 26, 2023, 10:06:58 PM »
I truly did not care at all for his contributions to A Nightmare to Remember (and I’m especially glad that John reigned him in or it would have been even worse)

I didn't know about that. What's the story about Portnoy's vocals on that song? I'm not a big fan of the way they turned out but I don't think it ruins the song or anything. I didn't miss it when they left that part out when they played it live a few years ago.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #791 on: October 26, 2023, 10:14:37 PM »
I think from a band perspective, moving into their twilight years, mending things between each other and adding some real excitement for the fans, its probably a very good move at this point of their careers.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed as I love MM, his technical drum work and what he was able to produce for over a decade with the band. And may I just say - what a humble and gracious response. Some may say he didn't have a choice, but he also could decide to say very little. Just a class act, and I will be forever grateful of what he was able to bring to the band :)

I also look forward to the next chapter - I could always take or leave MP from a personal standpoint, but there is no denying he brings fantastic energy and enthusiasm, particularly to live performances. He also seemed to be the one that adds lots of special things for fan service, which I think has been lacking a bit for a while, and seemed to be quality, but a somewhat "by the numbers" approach. So excited to delve into that.

I think as you get older, you mellow a bit. There will always be ups and downs here and there when working together so closely, but I think they will have more mutual respect for each other and keep a more chilled vibe together. I'd love to just see James go after it vocally in studio, and even if he can't match it live, I think at this point I'd rather have a killer studio album and adjust it for a live setting where needed.

Will also be interesting to see what they come up with for the new album. Will they try to go for the ultimate fan service and go a big concept album and rip out something like Metropolis part 3 to really get the fans buzzing, or will they go with something more personal? Really looking forward to hearing more about it all as it happens. In any case, a little bittersweet that MM had to go, but definitely exciting times ahead :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #792 on: October 26, 2023, 10:27:45 PM »

I didn't know about that. What's the story about Portnoy's vocals on that song? I'm not a big fan of the way they turned out but I don't think it ruins the song or anything. I didn't miss it when they left that part out when they played it live a few years ago.

There’s literally a video of it somewhere in the “making of” videos. Mike wanted to go full on Opeth style death metal guttural in that section. John literally said something to the effect of, “we’re NOT doing THAT.”

I’m sure someone can find the clip. I’ve got a drink in hand, wife beside me, and Star Trek on the big screen.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #793 on: October 26, 2023, 10:32:08 PM »
This is irrelevant to current, more interesting discussion. But a thought I had earlier today. As far as I know, MP hasn't exactly been fond of this place over the years, to put it lightly. In the years since his departure, this forum has come to be endorsed by the band as, essentially, the "official" Dream Theater Forum, even though it's operated independently. It's a little thing in the bigger picture (no pun intended), but I'm curious what he thinks about that and how long before or if DTF is "unendorsed".  ;D
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #794 on: October 26, 2023, 10:35:44 PM »
why doesn't MP like DTF? curious minds would like to know
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #795 on: October 26, 2023, 10:44:35 PM »

There’s literally a video of it somewhere in the “making of” videos. Mike wanted to go full on Opeth style death metal guttural in that section. John literally said something to the effect of, “we’re NOT doing THAT.”

I’m sure someone can find the clip. I’ve got a drink in hand, wife beside me, and Star Trek on the big screen.

Here you go: https://youtu.be/Puh7V8DKArk?si=Ox-6BXQMEbzKZr2R
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online faizoff

« Reply #796 on: October 26, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »

This is what MP originally wanted, that's his original take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn4U-0kT4I&ab_channel=SkiFiX

I remember him releasing these on his forum back in the day and I think the feedback on his forum was not very receptive. I recall him mentioning along the lines of even though he had a thick skin, he's still human and gets hurt at the negativity. I could be wrong but I defnitely remember him being surprised at the negativity.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #797 on: October 26, 2023, 10:46:46 PM »

Wow even better, with scrsenshot replies from his forum! Thanks for that!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #798 on: October 26, 2023, 10:47:26 PM »
This is irrelevant to current, more interesting discussion. But a thought I had earlier today. As far as I know, MP hasn't exactly been fond of this place over the years, to put it lightly. In the years since his departure, this forum has come to be endorsed by the band as, essentially, the "official" Dream Theater Forum, even though it's operated independently. It's a little thing in the bigger picture (no pun intended), but I'm curious what he thinks about that and how long before or if DTF is "unendorsed".  ;D

Ugh… look. I don’t like this post. But it’s only personal opinion. It’s one of those situations that is not without some merit, but is worded in such a way as to be a gross oversimplification to the point of being misleading.

Like describing The Empire Strikes Back as “a frog creature convinces a young man to join a cult and kill his father.”

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #799 on: October 26, 2023, 10:52:16 PM »

Ugh… look. I don’t like this post. But it’s only personal opinion. It’s one of those situations that is not without some merit, but is worded in such a way as to be a gross oversimplification to the point of being misleading.

Like describing The Empire Strikes Back as “a frog creature convinces a young man to join a cult and kill his father.”

Sorry. 😳 Not my intention.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #800 on: October 26, 2023, 11:11:45 PM »

Wow even better, with scrsenshot replies from his forum! Thanks for that!

:omg: Yeah...it might've sounded better with Akerfeldt who had a great growl back in the day but I think it was for the best that they decided not do put any Death Metal vocals in there.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2023, 11:35:27 PM »

All we can hope is that both matured. MP probably learned how to be less abrasive, and JLB to accept criticism even if harsh. MP has been right all along when it comes to JLB’s singing performance. I always wondered why DT doesn’t tune down for live performances. I can only hope they can work together once the honeymoon phase passes.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2023, 11:47:44 PM »
The band is in a different place these days. They're no longer in pursuit of world stardom. And that, in conjunction with everybody being more than a decade older, will likely mean MP will be less demanding of James. Sure, they'll probably be some production suggestions (the negative reaction to that with respect to the making of Systematic Chaos was spectacularly overblown by some parts of DT fandom), and no doubt MP will have suggestions on how to improve the live vocal performance but I'd be willing to bet there'll be a much greater spirit of understanding this time around.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2023, 12:26:47 AM »
Yeah, Tom Delonge was out of Blink182 forever definitively too ;)

Maybe some should let off some steam before posting, they are mixing personnal taste and objective criticism.

No, DOT and AVFTTOFTW aren't unlistenable garbages, at least on the instrumental side, especially the latest, it has hundreds of intricate musical details that crushed me on my first listen, and it was with studio headphones on the HD audio version.
Just MM's charleston alone is enough to write an essay on it.
I am no longer a the astonishing fan but there are many good drum parts ! If only most of the album wasn't flattened and slowed down...

You seem to forget how riff based are the albums after SDOIT, that's the moment I began to feel a little disappointed, and it started with MP here.
I remember train of thought simulisten on IRC, MP literally lost his shit when he saw everybody telling which band could have inspired each riff.

Now, I think concepts and deliriums were from MP, maybe addicted MP sadly, because the others have a scholar approach and don't smell crazyness...

Once again, I think if DT stays out of modern DT chugchug +inspiration corner listening to mainstream shit +lazy DT just riffing around, we could get an amazing album.
I won't expect anything on vocals, especially if JLB isn't even in the room for rehearsal.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2023, 12:52:16 AM »
I have yet to have heard anything from any Wilson-related project that didn't immediately put me to sleep.  Or induce vomiting.  Or induce vomiting while asleep.

You might want to get tested for COVID. I hear one of the major symptoms is a lack of taste. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman