Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 131841 times)

Offline Kocak

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »
I just hope that they don't pull a "We popped an album out in two weeks." and take their time crafting the music and lyrics.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2023, 07:19:15 AM »
I was talking about that last night. I feel like with as much attention this is getting maybe they should do a quick tour first? I don't know but it seems like it's going to be a while before new music comes out and there is a tour to support it.

Yes, do a soft landing. That would be great!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2023, 07:20:58 AM »
Yes, do a short "MP return tour" first with the more classic songs, and then go into the studio.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2023, 07:24:39 AM »
at the end of the day it doesn't matter how it happened, whether mike mangini was told to go kick rocks or whether he told DT to go f- themselves or whether mike portnoy has a secret tape of JLB doing lewd things on camera and blackmailed his way back, it DOES NOT MATTER!!!!!

what DOES matter is:

WE GOT MP BACK BAYBEEE

DAY AFTER DAY

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT

REPLAYING THE EVENTS

DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?

OVER AND OVER

SCENE BY SCENE

LIKE A RECURRING NIGHTMARE

HAUNTING MY  DREAMS

JOHN PETRUCCI GOT PREGNANT

NO, NOT EVEN MAX PORTNOY HAS EVER SEEN HIS FATHER SUCH A MESS

IT'S A MIRACLE MP'S BACK

IT'S A BLESSING MANGINI DIDN'T DIE

BY THE GRACE OF bosk1 ABOVE

EVERYONE WAS BANNED!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #634 on: October 26, 2023, 07:25:53 AM »
One thing I was thinking about last night. The news breaks yesterday and by and large there is joy in the fanbase (not absolutely everyone, and largely not without due respect for Mr. Mangini). The band has received a shot in the arm in terms of attention/enthusiasm, and they're going to capitalize on that by... eventually releasing new music and going on tour? MP is on tour with the Winery Dogs through Thanksgiving week. He gets home from Japan and they'd maybe have a couple weeks to get together and write before the holidays. Best case scenario is maybe there's a new album written and recorded by sometime in February? Then wait for it to get mixed and mastered and into the elongated album release cycle waiting for vinyl pressing and whatnot. If they wait to tour behind the new album then there might not be anything tangible in terms of new music or shows with Portnoy back in the drummer's stool before August or September of 2024, almost a year from the announcement. Just seems like a waste in some ways. If it were me I would have had as part of yesterday's announcement something to the effect of "We're obviously excited to get into the studio and record new music together, but we don't want to wait that long to play music together in front of all of you" and drop some tour dates for the first half of 2024. You don't need new music to sell the first tour with Portnoy back in the band.

Isn't that what Maiden did? The Ed Hunter tour?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: October 26, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
I wouldn't mind them doing a quick tour in early 2024 (20 dates or so) then start writing something in April/May.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Mladen

« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2023, 07:33:56 AM »
I'm guessing they'll start working on the album in January, make a quick break during the summer to do some festival shows in Europe, release the album in late autumn, and go out on an official album tour in 2025 to also commemorate 40 years of the band and perform Octavarium in its entirety among new stuff and other classics.

I'll try to go back to this post at some point in order to see if I nailed it.  ;D

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2023, 07:34:42 AM »
Such exciting news :) Portnoy is back where he belongs, and the core 5 are reunited. Their next album just got a lot more anticipation.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

« Reply #638 on: October 26, 2023, 07:36:16 AM »
I wouldn't mind them doing a quick tour in early 2024 (20 dates or so) then start writing something in April/May.

i agree, they should get on the road asap, new music or not
Welcome to the Forums!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #639 on: October 26, 2023, 07:40:31 AM »
Off, but... suddenly I was thinking, 'where's Kotowboy' since al those Portnoy-fans are back in here, but I remember I haven't red Kotowboy in a while. Can be he's still active in threads I do not participate, as well though.

He's off being angry about it on Twitter. (He really is.)

He's angry about MP returning or just angry in general?

Yup.  No believing it's true because it wasn't posted on other social media right away.  LOL

:lol

Goddamn Kotowboy. He was the forum embodiment of short man syndrome.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #640 on: October 26, 2023, 07:50:21 AM »

Couldn't disagree more, if I could, I'll forced them into DTHQ myself because I honestly can't wait what their next studioalbum would be like. If they'll lock themselves up in wintertime, #16 could be released in summer 2024. And then make a general tour with the USA, Europe (darn, especially here in Europe, I miss them), Japan, down to Australia - even if it would only be for Wolfking - and end up in South-America, where they could film a livealbum. '25 Will be their 20th anniversary of Octavarium, so that would be a full cirkle as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #641 on: October 26, 2023, 07:57:25 AM »
I think it may have been better to save this announcement for when the new album was done or a tour like others have suggested.  Seems weird to not capitalise on the excitement this has generated and just let it melt away as they have nothing else to announce.  Imagine the excitement if this was a combined album announcement and Portnoy return announcement all in one.  Maybe they just couldn’t hold on to it that long.

As for Mangini’s departure, I echo everyone who has paid their respects for what he did for the band.  Portnoy, of all drummers, is a tough act to follow and he did it admirably but in his own way.  Obviously none of us know what went down but I could swear that Mangini has stated in the past, maybe even just after he got the job that he would make way if Portnoy wanted to return.  Maybe I’ve made that up and obviously in the 13 years he’s been with them, he may have changed and seen himself more and more as part of the band permanently, I don’t know.

« Reply #642 on: October 26, 2023, 08:03:05 AM »
I think it may have been better to save this announcement for when the new album was done or a tour like others have suggested.  Seems weird to not capitalise on the excitement this has generated and just let it melt away as they have nothing else to announce.  Imagine the excitement if this was a combined album announcement and Portnoy return announcement all in one.  Maybe they just couldn’t hold on to it that long.

As for Mangini’s departure, I echo everyone who has paid their respects for what he did for the band.  Portnoy, of all drummers, is a tough act to follow and he did it admirably but in his own way.  Obviously none of us know what went down but I could swear that Mangini has stated in the past, maybe even just after he got the job that he would make way if Portnoy wanted to return.  Maybe I’ve made that up and obviously in the 13 years he’s been with them, he may have changed and seen himself more and more as part of the band permanently, I don’t know.

that's a fair point

i can see this scenario being very plausible:

MM notices warming relations with MP and the other DT guys
MM offers to step aside (to Peter McDonald's point, he had hinted he would do it and has referred to keeping the seat warm)
DT takes his offer to MP, and they hash out his return
DT tells MM they have taken the offer
MM writes in the press release "They chose to go with MP"

Not fired.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #643 on: October 26, 2023, 08:03:40 AM »
Yes, do a short "MP return tour" first with the more classic songs, and then go into the studio.
No,  hit the studio first and write something new and fresh and start a new chapter.  No need to rehash the past.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: October 26, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
Off, but... suddenly I was thinking, 'where's Kotowboy' since al those Portnoy-fans are back in here, but I remember I haven't red Kotowboy in a while. Can be he's still active in threads I do not participate, as well though.

He's off being angry about it on Twitter. (He really is.)

He's angry about MP returning or just angry in general?

In this case, specifically about MP returning :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: October 26, 2023, 08:08:40 AM »
No,  hit the studio first and write something new and fresh and start a new chapter.  No need to rehash the past.

I mean DT is all about rehashing the past :lol. Look at all the anniversary tours and setlists...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
One thing I was thinking about last night. The news breaks yesterday and by and large there is joy in the fanbase (not absolutely everyone, and largely not without due respect for Mr. Mangini). The band has received a shot in the arm in terms of attention/enthusiasm, and they're going to capitalize on that by... eventually releasing new music and going on tour? MP is on tour with the Winery Dogs through Thanksgiving week. He gets home from Japan and they'd maybe have a couple weeks to get together and write before the holidays. Best case scenario is maybe there's a new album written and recorded by sometime in February? Then wait for it to get mixed and mastered and into the elongated album release cycle waiting for vinyl pressing and whatnot. If they wait to tour behind the new album then there might not be anything tangible in terms of new music or shows with Portnoy back in the drummer's stool before August or September of 2024, almost a year from the announcement. Just seems like a waste in some ways. If it were me I would have had as part of yesterday's announcement something to the effect of "We're obviously excited to get into the studio and record new music together, but we don't want to wait that long to play music together in front of all of you" and drop some tour dates for the first half of 2024. You don't need new music to sell the first tour with Portnoy back in the band.

Portnoy left in September 2011.  Auditions were a month later, but Mangini wasn't announced as the drummer until April 2011.  The new album (ADTOE) wasn't released until September 2011 - a full year later.  Things seemed to work just fine then.

I think the band will be fine, and the buzz will start all over again in the lead up to the album, with singles released and the hype machine in full swing.  Right now, I'm just binging on all of DT's music and enjoying the ride.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: October 26, 2023, 08:22:58 AM »
I think it may have been better to save this announcement for when the new album was done or a tour like others have suggested.

Keeping the secret that long likely wouldn't of been possible.  Although I do wonder, why yesterday?  Some here suggested maybe the cat was starting to come out of the bag already so better to just make the announcement than let rumors swirl.  No idea if that's true, but I can't see MP going to the DT studio for some time in the next year and MP not actively touring or working on anything and not have people know what's going on.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #648 on: October 26, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »

Portnoy left in September 2011.  Auditions were a month later, but Mangini wasn't announced as the drummer until April 2011.  The new album (ADTOE) wasn't released until September 2011 - a full year later.  Things seemed to work just fine then.

I think the band will be fine, and the buzz will start all over again in the lead up to the album, with singles released and the hype machine in full swing.  Right now, I'm just binging on all of DT's music and enjoying the ride.

Portnoy left in September 2010    ;)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #649 on: October 26, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »

Portnoy left in September 2010    ;)

You know what I meant, but thanks!   :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2023, 08:33:31 AM »
I think it may have been better to save this announcement for when the new album was done or a tour like others have suggested.

Keeping the secret that long likely wouldn't of been possible.  Although I do wonder, why yesterday?  Some here suggested maybe the cat was starting to come out of the bag already so better to just make the announcement than let rumors swirl.  No idea if that's true, but I can't see MP going to the DT studio for some time in the next year and MP not actively touring or working on anything and not have people know what's going on.

Once it happens, it happens. You can keep it close to your chest only for so long, also out of respect for the replaced member.

DT have already said they were going into the studio in the latter part of the year. How long can they ask Mangini to "lie" for a band he isn't part of anymore? (see the interview with Rodrigo).

The talks can go on for months, but once the decision is made, it's not fair to ask the member that goes to keep a secret, and the more you keep a secret, the more people are bound to find out. All it takes is one guy spotting MP near the studio.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2023, 08:51:02 AM »

It would be melt my heart to see a show in the future where MP has his twin monster and Mangini comes out to jam with them. That would say to me that they're all still friends and show the fans that there's no animosity between them all.

-Marc.

This is a great idea that I've always wanted to see, although I thought it would be MP joining MM instead of the other way around.  Either way it would be an awesome thing they should include on a live DVD or something.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »

Yes but that’s a totally different scenario.  The announcement of Portnoy leaving was not exciting to most people, it led to a period of mourning!  In that case it’s a good thing to let the dust settle for a bit.  This new announcement has generated a lot of excitement but that excitement will not last for 12 months or however long it takes them to put new music out.  We’ll all still be excited when new music is announced obviously but a lot of the hype of MP’s return will have died down, we’ll all be used to the idea by then. I just feel they should have had something else to announce to capitalise on all the goodwill and excitement.  Still, it’s not my money so who ultimately cares?  I’ll still be there to buy the new album on day one!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #653 on: October 26, 2023, 08:52:27 AM »
There is quite a lot of dumbassery going on in the world of social media.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #654 on: October 26, 2023, 08:55:34 AM »
Expect no original thoughts whatsoever in the following post - it's taken me this long to even begin to get my thoughts in order.

(Roughly) 24 hours has not been enough for me to comprehend, let alone find the words to adequately describe the sheer sense of joy this has brought for me. There aren't enough "holy shits" in the world to do that.

Shortly after I discovered in DT, circa 2004, I dived deep into their back catalogue, got myself up to speed and quickly become a devoted follower. It wasn't long after that I came to the conclusion that they were my favourite band of all time, and the most important in my life. The bottom line is that MP was a huge part of that, perhaps the biggest reason - the sheer amount of energy, enthusiasm and dedication he brought to the band whilst simultaneously never appearing to take it too seriously, and just having fun. The day he announced he was leaving... it just didn't seem right. It never truly seemed right in the years that followed. As a loyal fan, I stuck around, but... I could never deny to myself that it wasn't the same, as much as I wanted to move on. Yesterday's news was what I have yearned for in all the years since, but which seemed less and less likely to materialise, with each new album and tour effectively reaffirming the band's commitment to Mangini.

Still, I regularly attended the live shows whenever they came round, and was actually in the crowd for one of the "Distant Memories" nights. But gradually, my enthusiasm for the band waned and waned further to the point where I finally skipped them on the 2nd leg of the UK tour earlier this year. The studio albums with MM were for me a mixed bag, with one I loved, one I hated, the rest being just "alright". The most recent one of which having its highlights, but ultimately failing to engineer anywhere near the sense of hype and excitement of any that came before it. Consequently, another band knocked DT off the top spot in my heart for favourite of all-time. With this, however, they look set to reclaim that throne...  ;D

I will never forget the way the news came to me yesterday... I was driving home from work using my phone for Maps, and the first clue I got was a Facebook notification of a post in the MP forum along the lines of "No joke... it's real... take a minute to let this sink in...". Then a little while later, another ping, this time from my Gmail, from the official mailing list... there was no mistaking the headline. Bear in mind at this time, I was driving along the motorway at 70mph in wet conditions with traffic everywhere. Honestly... it's a miracle I lived and a blessing no-one died...  ;)

So happy right now, it really does feel like the family is back together again. Whatever happens now, even if the forthcoming albums and tours don't quite live up to the standard of the peak years... this is just how things should be until the end.

Signed, yet another forum member returning from "lurker" status  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: October 26, 2023, 09:01:16 AM »

Once it happens, it happens. You can keep it close to your chest only for so long, also out of respect for the replaced member.

DT have already said they were going into the studio in the latter part of the year. How long can they ask Mangini to "lie" for a band he isn't part of anymore? (see the interview with Rodrigo).

The talks can go on for months, but once the decision is made, it's not fair to ask the member that goes to keep a secret, and the more you keep a secret, the more people are bound to find out. All it takes is one guy spotting MP near the studio.

Iron Maiden have kept "secrets" for the better part of a year at times.  AC/DC and Van Halen as well, though to be fair, they've all took shit for it.  That's not how DT operates, for better or worse, but it CAN be done.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #656 on: October 26, 2023, 09:01:43 AM »
Damn, I was just listening to Beyond this Life from Live at Budokan lamenting that all the neat improv parts are long gone - that MP & JR solo is one of my all-time favorite DT moments... and then read the news. The timing couldn't have been better. Overall, this is good news, but there's still a pit in my stomach and an ache in my heart that goes out to MM.

Live:
I expect things to pick up. I had the chance to see DT last year, but ultimately decided against it (much to my own surprise as well). Now I'm really excited to see them again. Click & backing tracks are the sensitive issue here, hopefully they'll ditch them so the songs will be more energetic and driving, offering the chance for some spontaneity here and there. I don't think the jarringly obvious backing tracks do James or the overall production any favors anyway, but they may not dare to leave him up there without all the assistance. (https://youtu.be/uWP77C4StLs?si=IX-3t-V5J-L9JL9N&t=76)

Studio:
I was always excited about what MM will come up next in the studio. It's a bliss listening to his outlandish fills and patterns. Even when the songwriting is a bit shaky, you could always count on MM spicing it up wherever he could. Now with Portnoy, we're back to the same old bag of tricks. He hasn't played anything in the last decade that caught my ear. If the new songs will be good, it won't matter much, because MP's stylish drumming will complement them perfectly, but the MM wow factor will be greatly missed.

I'll always remember how MM thanked DT for trusting them with the second half of their careers & lives (https://youtu.be/m2kIVOr1VPk?si=ga_XfaxT-YFeAjrN&t=989). Oh well, it wasn't to be. Here's to an amazing last quarter with Iron Mike!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2023, 09:03:24 AM »
One other point.  does anyone know - facts, not guesses - whether there any material from the JP solo sessions or the LTE sessions that could be adapted for a Dream Theater release in the interim?  A song, or an EP or something?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #658 on: October 26, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »

Iron Maiden have kept "secrets" for the better part of a year at times.  AC/DC and Van Halen as well, though to be fair, they've all took shit for it.  That's not how DT operates, for better or worse, but it CAN be done.

Well, it depends on which kind of secret, Iron Maiden did indeed sat on a new album for a year in the pandemic time, but let's look at the reunion with Bruce - I've checked, last show with Blaze was 12th December 1998, and Bruce returned in February 1999. Given that in the last days of 1998 they were probably busy with winding down the tour and getting ready for Xmas, January must have been the month for decisions and discussions. And then it was done and announced to the world, and there were already some rumours here and there. It was a quick affair, as of now we don't know how long the talks have gone between DT and MP, but I'd reckon it was discussed not earlier than August.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #659 on: October 26, 2023, 09:07:14 AM »
One other point.  does anyone know - facts, not guesses - whether there any material from the JP solo sessions or the LTE sessions that could be adapted for a Dream Theater release in the interim?  A song, or an EP or something?
I don't know anything for a fact.  But I would be surprised if any such material would be brought in by JP/MP to craft material for DT.  The three projects (DT/LTE/JP solo) are all very different, and I would hope they keep that in mind.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #660 on: October 26, 2023, 09:09:54 AM »

“What works in Australia wouldn’t necessarily work here.”  ;)

AC/DC keeps a notoriously tight circle. They know people, but they are all extremely private people. With the exception of Brian, almost no one ever appears in the media or hangs out with other musicians. They could keep a secret forever. Heck, Angus has admitted that he has a tape of Bon playing drums at a pre-Back in Black rehearsal and jamming riffs that would become Back in Black…but they’ve never leaked. Those guys have secrets that go back decades and they are not involved in social media.

Dream Theater and especially MP are too plugged in to too many people. They simply could not keep a secret like AC/DC could.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #661 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:47 AM »
I just hope that they don't pull a "We popped an album out in two weeks." and take their time crafting the music and lyrics.

I have the same concern. Hopefully they take their new writing approach with MP's input.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:52 AM »
Mike couldn't even keep SoA a secret :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »

Different times though. 

« Reply #664 on: October 26, 2023, 09:16:33 AM »
For immediate release-

As a result of a shake up to our overall business plan and strategy we are announcing a restructuring of Dream Theater. During this transition we'd like to welcome Mike Portnoy back to the team in a newly designated role. Additionally, Mike Mangini has decided to move on from his role as Drummer. let us join together in a round of thanks for everything he has done for our organization
Welcome to the Forums!