Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124705 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2023, 12:02:12 PM »
I take his message as he didn't know MP was rejoining and thought Chad was just talking BS.
Which leads me to believe MP kept it as a secret even for his band mates (TWD)

I find it amazing that Billy didn't know. And even if he didn't know it was happening, you'd think MP might've dropped him a note that it was about to break.

They're on tour literally right now. That might be a bit awkward if he didn't know.

Just checked, they have a show tonight. Might have been something MP would've wanted to let his current bandmates know lol

EDIT: The concert started at 12PM ET, so he may be on stage right now.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
Just hope that the writing process won't be rushed (the writing/recording process in two weeks thing). That was my issue with the last MP albums. But I am excited to have him back. The live shows were getting stale and robotic.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2023, 12:04:46 PM »
A little surprised I did not misspell anything with all the feels hitting me, all at once. 

This is tied with MPs return as the biggest surprise today!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2023, 12:05:28 PM »
Maybe DT asked Portnoy to keep it a secret. I don’t know.

He was waiting for the press release to be out :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2023, 12:05:34 PM »
A little surprised I did not misspell anything with all the feels hitting me, all at once. 

This is tied with MPs return as the biggest surprise today!
We are very proud of Joe
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline genome

« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2023, 12:06:12 PM »
I just got confirmation via email, so that's a hell of a hack if Billy's right  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2023, 12:06:30 PM »
I take his message as he didn't know MP was rejoining and thought Chad was just talking BS.

I find it amazing that Billy didn't know. And even if he didn't know it was happening, you'd think MP might've dropped him a note that it was about to break.
Why?  They aren't brothers.  They are in a glorified side project together.  I doubt very seriously that Sheehan keeps MP up to date on all his business dealings outside of the Winery Dogs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2023, 12:08:23 PM »
Honestly, I'd be more excited if Ray Alder rejoined Redemption (Tom is doing a great job btw), but I'm hopeful... They don't pick up right where they left off. The band was starting to go off the rails before Mike left, and it was his doing.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2023, 12:15:40 PM »
Billy doesn't seem to be a guy too good at identifying "fake news".

I literally laughed out loud :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2023, 12:16:15 PM »
It’s pretty fun to open this thread and see the long list of users viewing it. This feels like the old days, like early 2000s before Facebook and Twitter when people used message boards to talk about exciting band news!

Which makes me think this whole thing was manufactured by Bosk to get this place more traffic.

Well played.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2023, 12:18:11 PM »
To be sure, Mangini was a great replacement for Portnoy, what I celebrate is not the return of the drummer, but the return of the visionary, of the co-pilot, I feel like right now DT desperately needs someone to push back on JP's creative decisions.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2023, 12:19:36 PM »
no idea who billy sheehan is but that screenshot makes him seem like the kind of guy who has absolutely no reading comprehension if he thinks this is fake :lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2023, 12:21:24 PM »

Why?  They aren't brothers.  They are in a glorified side project together.  I doubt very seriously that Sheehan keeps MP up to date on all his business dealings outside of the Winery Dogs.

I think they're more than just co-members in a glorified side project. Other than Neal Morse, I feel like Billy might be MP's most collaborated musician since he left DT. Heck, they did the Amazing Journey thing ages ago. I'd find it amazing if Billy didn't get a heads up on this, maybe not weeks ago, but at least before Billy read it on the webz.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline genome

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2023, 12:23:43 PM »
He’s the guy that goes widdly widdly widdly on the bass and worships Xenu

« Reply #331 on: October 25, 2023, 12:23:52 PM »
just looked him up, haven't really listened to anything he's done so it makes sense i'd have not heard of him. tho i read he is both a scientologist and an antivaxxer so i am very sad to have to even hear about his existence, and am no longer surprised he thinks this is fake news.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #332 on: October 25, 2023, 12:23:59 PM »
To be sure, Mangini was a great replacement for Portnoy, what I celebrate is not the return of the drummer, but the return of the visionary, of the co-pilot, I feel like right now DT desperately needs someone to push back on JP's creative decisions.

This is one of the things that concerns me. I’m not against the idea of Portnoy getting back to the role he once had, but I question whether or not John would just hand over 50% of the reins after being in 100% control for the last 13 years.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #333 on: October 25, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
UPDATE: MP had to "audition" by proving to the rest of the band that he could play The Alien before this switch could go through.

MM could and can play any and all of MP's parts of the DT catalogue. I think there are MANY songs that DT wrote with MM that MP will not/could not play faithfully (as recorded) If they do MM era songs I'm sure MP will make it sound good because he's an unreal performer and I know MP and everyone always says it's not a competition and there is no 'best' drummer and so on....which I in principle agree with.....but MM is a freak on the kit and continually practices and hones his skill and while you posted this in jest I don't think MP is 'as good' as MM as far as technical execution. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2023, 12:24:14 PM »
Sheehan is a scientologist, so do not expect him to ever make any sense.

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »
JP probably caught MP's performance at the Seahawks game and realized what was missing

Or that was when JP found out MP was a Twin Peaks fan and was tired of John Myung bullying him for liking the show and saying Twin Peaks was a "shit show with shit actors and shit fans"* so now he has somebody in the band on his side.

*an actual quote he might have said**

**probably not but I'm kind of bored right now and it's entertaining me

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
Sheehan is a scientologist, so do not expect him to ever make any sense.

Xenu have mercy on your soul

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2023, 12:26:32 PM »
I wonder if MM wanted to go back to teaching. When do you think we'll get a statement on the reasoning?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2023, 12:28:13 PM »
I wonder if MM wanted to go back to teaching. When do you think we'll get a statement on the reasoning?

By the sounds of it he got canned, so it doesn't seem like much of his decision does it?

« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2023, 12:30:43 PM »

By the sounds of it he got canned, so it doesn't seem like much of his decision does it?

:lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2023, 12:35:02 PM »
UPDATE: MP had to "audition" by proving to the rest of the band that he could play The Alien before this switch could go through.

MM could and can play any and all of MP's parts of the DT catalogue. I think there are MANY songs that DT wrote with MM that MP will not/could not play faithfully (as recorded) If they do MM era songs I'm sure MP will make it sound good because he's an unreal performer and I know MP and everyone always says it's not a competition and there is no 'best' drummer and so on....which I in principle agree with.....but MM is a freak on the kit and continually practices and hones his skill and while you posted this in jest I don't think MP is 'as good' as MM as far as technical execution.

So you mean all those songs will now have feel to them?

Oh, SNAP!

(I'll show myself to the door....)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2023, 12:36:23 PM »
I would think that someone who has worked with Mike Portnoy very often would know in advance on what everyone else's plans are going to be for the near future.  I highly doubt something of this magnitude is decided on a whim and that MP would let all of the guys he collaborated with know that he's going to be pretty busy doing something he just cannot say yet at the time.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2023, 12:38:07 PM »
That is funny about Sheehan not knowing if true.  I am a little surprised they wouldn't wait until Portnoy's done touring with his current band to make the announcement.  I wonder if the person who handles DT's press jumped the gun before they were supposed to.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2023, 12:38:30 PM »

So you mean all those songs will now have feel to them?

Oh, SNAP!

(I'll show myself to the door....)

I don't disagree. I think that's what was missing. MM is so technical there really wasn't any atmosphere or personality to the songs. Compare the live performances of Trial of Tears.....MP's Budakon version to MM's 4th Wall version. MP's Budakon version is utterly beautiful.....all the feels. MM's is perfect and sounds great but it's pretty static and regimented.

It's the difference between them. MP's like an artist or poet whereas MM is a mathmatician or scientist. Nothing wrong with either version and each have their merits....but MP just brings something to the table that no one else can.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2023, 12:38:48 PM »

Well he's being a real good sport about it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »
It's just funny.  Not too long ago, MP watched DT live and all of sudden, he's now back in it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #347 on: October 25, 2023, 12:40:02 PM »
Best to MM - got a chance to see him live on every tour cycle that came through the area and always left impressed by his abilities.

Pretty shocked by the news, but I'm definitely in for night 1 of the next US tour!  Can't wait to hear what they come up with for DT16 :metal

I'm not saying we called anything or predicted anything, but weren't we just talking about this down in Bridgeport?  I'm with you in line for the next tour...

I feel like you asked me directly what my thoughts on this very scenario were, but I have no recollection of what I said  :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #348 on: October 25, 2023, 12:41:02 PM »

Well he's being a real good sport about it.

MM is a class act to the fullest. I would expect nothing less from him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 25, 2023, 12:41:33 PM »
I'm a bit shocked if Billy legit found out from the internet and not the guy he's actively touring with.  While I totally understand Mike probably needed to keep his mouth shut about the news, not giving Billy a hint or just telling him maybe like last night seems really weird to me.  I don't know their friendship/working dynamic, so who knows. I guess I just assumed they'd be a lot closer since they've done so much work together and are actively touring.

also  :lol at the scientology/fake news references

Best to MM - got a chance to see him live on every tour cycle that came through the area and always left impressed by his abilities.

Pretty shocked by the news, but I'm definitely in for night 1 of the next US tour!  Can't wait to hear what they come up with for DT16 :metal

I'm not saying we called anything or predicted anything, but weren't we just talking about this down in Bridgeport?  I'm with you in line for the next tour...

I feel like you asked me directly what my thoughts on this very scenario were, but I have no recollection of what I said  :lol

:lol I dont recall the specifics, but I do remember talking about this