Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132460 times)

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »
I must say I was extremely happy when MP left the band way back. I thought, at the time, that the band has reached it´s creative limit - BCASL is one of my least favorites albums from the band. Even FII, altough quite feeble, still has some original ideas here and there.

Anyway, I was over the moon with ADTOE, DT was ok, I loved TA, D/T was very good... but with AVFTTOTW that feeling of "same again" was back, even stronger than before. It was the first album from DT that didn´t make me impressed at all, not even a single song or part of a song. It was very strange, because, you know - big fan. I even started to appreciate BCASL more.

I was dreading the next album already.

So, this is just to say that I think MP back is good news. I think it´s something they needed to do. MM has almost no blame for the way things were going, but I believe that MP could bring some new things to the table - production-wise, in the lyrics, in the compositions.

Now - full circle, you say? Bring Kevin Moore to produce. And Charlie to do backing vocals.  :metal

"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline jammindude

« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2023, 11:04:05 AM »
No Mangini? I am OUT! I hope you all enjoy your forums.

So NOW can we change the name of the Porcupine Tree thread?

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2023, 11:04:13 AM »
Weird to think MM already played his last show with DT and no one knew.  Although I have to wonder if the band knew or had a feeling or anything back in July.  He even shared his drum set on the last song he played with the band.

So, I literally saw the last show with Mangini....That makes that show an even more memorable show now.... :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2023, 11:05:05 AM »
Weird to think MM already played his last show with DT and no one knew.  Although I have to wonder if the band knew or had a feeling or anything back in July.  He even shared his drum set on the last song he played with the band.

I don't know but this seems very sudden, I won't be surprised if we eventually find out all these decisions were made over the last couple of weeks or so.

It was probably finalized over the last couple of weeks, but I doubt this was sudden to JP and management.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2023, 11:05:37 AM »
But the Seahawks already did their press release!

:lol classic

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
It might be worth noting that Berklee's President abruptly stepped down a couple days ago. Being MM's former employer, could that be a coincidence or no?  I, as a drummer, like to think that a Metal Drummer is perfectly suited to run a prestigious college.
-Tof

Well, MM is a Rocket Scientist as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the chair.  Good on him if he does... and if he doesn't, well I'm sure there are other things on the horizon.  He'll be missed for sure.  Wish the blessings of God on him and his family!

I was on a sales call when I saw the email @ 12:24PM.  Promptly left the sales call to read and reread the announcement.  I feel the exact same way I felt when MP left and I listened to the Eddie Truck show interview.  Stunned.  Excited for certain for the new prospects, but stunned.  My wife was quite stunned as well, she saw the email first.  I wonder if this could be as simple as arithmetic (low ticket sales and maybe low interest from their perception) or if there's some calculus involved in this somewhere.  There's definitely calculus involved in the relationships within the band... what's said and written cannot be unsaid.  Words can be forgiven, but not wiped away entirely.  And perhaps I'm reading too far between the lines i.e. the band's comments in the email announcement, but there are some mighty thought-provoking words in some of those comments.

All that said, I'm excited!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline genome

« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »
I can't wait for the first show back to be The Astonishing in full.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »

Yes, please! That whole thing was ridiculous.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »
Well it did show under MP's name that he was the drummer for DT. So JP obviously saw that and said, "Fuck it, we have no choice now."

The Seahawks knew before we did
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2023, 11:06:54 AM »
Well, there’s 1251 people online and we’re just 40 users short of tying the record.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2023, 11:07:44 AM »
Well it did show under MP's name that he was the drummer for DT. So JP obviously saw that and said, "Fuck it, we have no choice now."

The Seahawks knew before we did

That's why the Seahawks are the best team in the NFL.... :metal :metal :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2023, 11:08:01 AM »

On second thought...
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2023, 11:10:54 AM »
I can't wait for the first show back to be The Astonishing in full.

Can't wait to heat Mike P's version of the NOMAC tracks!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2023, 11:14:07 AM »
I had to do a double take when the news came up on my feed, because for a second I thought it was a fan-made satire post :eek I loved ADTOE, but the latter albums haven't quite impressed me, and I thought the atmosphere at the show I went to this year was pretty underwhelming, which somehow made me think there might be some kind of change coming up in the DT camp. Ironically Portnoy's return may end up being a welcome shake to the system just like his departure was. I can't help feeling sorry for Mangini, but his statement gave me the feeling he knew this day would come at some point (especially after James and MP's reconciliation), and at least they managed to play Rock in Rio and win a Grammy during his last album cycle, so he's not going out on a whimper.
EDIT - I wonder if they'll play any material from the MM-era on tour, and if so, it'll be REAL interesting to hear how MP covers MM's parts. Maybe he'll watch all those "If Portnoy played (this song)" videos on YouTube. :lol

-Marc.
The Grammy win seems to be a big thing for JP at least, so I could see The Alien remaining in the set, but apart from Far from Heaven and/or Beneath the Surface, which can be played without drums if they decide to do an acoustic mini-set again, I wouldn't count on any other MM-era material coming back, considering there are already 10 albums with MP to choose songs from.

not gonna lie i also had a double take over the news, because the photoshop on the official press release was so bad i couldn't believe it was real at first
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Art

« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2023, 11:15:40 AM »
I think this is a very wise business decision by both sides.
One last hurrah of excitement for the band and surely better ticket sales than the last couple of years. Call it a cash grab, if you will.
Musically? I hope MP coming back jolts some energy into the band, cause I'm really not into most of the MM era stuff. Time will tell.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2023, 11:17:07 AM »
I hope that this was an amicable situation for everyone involved, and that Mangini was not forced out. I had the opportunity to very quickly meet him after a show and he seemed like a super friendly guy. I also remember watching when he got the gig in that documentary. He was SO pumped. I hope that the experience ended up being what he wanted. I love you MM and the fans do too, even if some of us probably gave you too hard a time. :heart

Either way, I am certainly more interested in the next album that I think I otherwise would have been. I assume it will be JP and MP co-producing again, but the cherry on the top for me personally would be if they also brought in an outside producer as well. :millahhhh
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2023, 11:17:15 AM »
I'm hoping for a tour before next album release. Evening with show with all the classic '89-'09 songs. Maybe like an "escape from the studio" reunion tour! Then, bang out a GREAT New album and tour! ALL IN for that :metal

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2023, 11:17:44 AM »
Well he got the break he wanted! Welcome back Mike and I couldn't be more excited to listen to the next album and see you behind the kit live!  :metal

Offline JPX

« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2023, 11:18:25 AM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?

Distance Over Time and View From the Top of the World are abysmal, let's call a spade a spade.

And no one ever dreamed MP would rejoin, and he hasn't been in the band in 13 years. So for you to assume the album will be made a certain way seems bizarre.

I'm just hoping that this decision was made BECAUSE they realized things weren't working. MP helps for sure but isn't a guarantee.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
Best to MM - got a chance to see him live on every tour cycle that came through the area and always left impressed by his abilities.

Pretty shocked by the news, but I'm definitely in for night 1 of the next US tour!  Can't wait to hear what they come up with for DT16 :metal

I'm not saying we called anything or predicted anything, but weren't we just talking about this down in Bridgeport?  I'm with you in line for the next tour...

Offline genome

« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
the cherry on the top for me personally would be if they also brought in an outside producer as well. :millahhhh

David Prater! And the return of the one shot snare sample.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2023, 11:20:36 AM »
I'm hoping for a tour before next album release. Evening with show with all the classic '89-'09 songs. Maybe like an "escape from the studio" reunion tour! Then, bang out a GREAT New album and tour! ALL IN for that :metal

I was thinking this; when Bruce rejoined Maiden there was the "Ed Hunter" tour, right?  A sort of "get the feet wet" tour?   

Maybe, just maybe, that WAS the JP solo tour. Maybe that was the dry run!

Offline krands85

« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2023, 11:20:45 AM »
I'm another one who saw the thread title and thought it was a joke. Didn't see this coming, but I suppose it's not totally unexpected with thawing of relationships and some of the guys working together over the last few years.

I'm finding it tough to be excited or happy about the news at the moment though, as I just feel bad for Mangini. Had he been leaving of his own accord, then getting MP back would seem like the logical step and I'd be pleased for both parties, but it doesn't appear like that's the case. MM is a phenomenal drummer and seems like a great guy as well, who acted with great dignity during his time in the band, even when he didn't at times get the respect he fully deserved.

Interested to see what changes we're going to see going forward though and whether they'll put together another classic album with MP back. As someone else pointed out, we got ADOTE and SFAM after the last 2 lineup changes and of course I&W after Charlie left - those are three of my 4 favourite DT albums, so I guess that's a good sign!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2023, 11:22:37 AM »
Wow, I'm not sure what to think.
I was actually curious to see where they would go next with MM.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »
I can say with absolute confidence this will be the final incarnation of DT…

I wonder if this was a wise thing for JLB to say. 

Something in my gut is telling me that this quote won’t age well.

I sure hope you're right. We, the long term fans, deserve to hear them again with a great singer before they hang it up for good.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »

I'd be so pumped for a NYC show marked as MP's return show before they hit the studio.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2023, 11:23:35 AM »
A little shocked.

A little happy.

A little sad.

A little surprised I did not misspell anything with all the feels hitting me, all at once. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Awaken

« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2023, 11:23:53 AM »
Best to MM - got a chance to see him live on every tour cycle that came through the area and always left impressed by his abilities.

Pretty shocked by the news, but I'm definitely in for night 1 of the next US tour!  Can't wait to hear what they come up with for DT16 :metal

I'm not saying we called anything or predicted anything, but weren't we just talking about this down in Bridgeport?  I'm with you in line for the next tour...

haha - was just about to connect w/ you about that!  The next tour is going to be nuts - hoping they kick it off in NYC but doesn't matter, I'm good to travel wherever

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:48 AM »

I was thinking this; when Bruce rejoined Maiden there was the "Ed Hunter" tour, right?  A sort of "get the feet wet" tour?   

Maybe, just maybe, that WAS the JP solo tour. Maybe that was the dry run!

I think you're on to something with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2023, 11:25:06 AM »
the cherry on the top for me personally would be if they also brought in an outside producer as well. :millahhhh

David Prater! And the return of the one shot snare sample.
While we're at it, what's Desmond Child up to these days?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2023, 11:25:11 AM »

That makes you the third person by my count.

I think 1 guy posted twice, to really drive it home... ? :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2023, 11:25:21 AM »
UPDATE: MP had to "audition" by proving to the rest of the band that he could play The Alien before this switch could go through.

:neverusethis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day
Bacong!

This would be a glorious return, no doubt.

how are ya?
I am thriving, and hope that you are.

Will MP still be part of NMB?
I imagine he will be, if and when NMB do anything else.  I can't imagine him being replaced there.

FFS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2023, 11:25:37 AM »
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 11:30:39 AM by MinistroRaven »

Online Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2023, 11:26:50 AM »
How long until the flood of "BRING BACK MANGINI!!!" Facebook posts start happening as replies to each and every DT post?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2023, 11:28:22 AM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?

Distance Over Time and View From the Top of the World are abysmal, let's call a spade a spade.

And no one ever dreamed MP would rejoin, and he hasn't been in the band in 13 years. So for you to assume the album will be made a certain way seems bizarre.

I'm just hoping that this decision was made BECAUSE they realized things weren't working. MP helps for sure but isn't a guarantee.

Hardly,  DoT is better than a number of MP albums like WDADU, Awake, BCSL.