Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116655 times)

Offline PMSummer

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:23 AM »
I just heard the news, and I can't believe it! Mike Portnoy rejoining Dream Theater is like a dream come true. I've been a fan of the band for decades, and there's just something magical about their chemistry with MP behind the kit. Those epic drum solos, the energy he brings to their live shows – it's been sorely missed. This news has put a big smile on my face today. Can't wait to see what they'll cook up together!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:31 AM »
Had to log on to say WOW as well!

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Exactly.

It’s working because I’ve been more excited about this band in the last 30 mins than I have for the last few years.

Same here, this has reawakened my interest in DT suddenly.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:50 AM »
Did Mangini leave or get fired?

Gotta say, I'm pumped about this, but I did think that the last two DT albums finally showed Mangini coming into his own. So it is a little unfortunate, at least the timing aspect, that we won't get to see how they grow as a unit further. DT12 and ADTOE were far better to me than the Astonishing or Self-Titled.

I'm talking out my ass here, but I think they asked him to step down. Elements of DT's live shows have been declining over the last decade, and the sales figures of the Dreamsonic tour was probably the writing on the wall. I felt awful for the guys looking at the crowd at the most recent CT show. 

Concerts are all most bands have left to generate revenue, and DT only has a couple years remaining to tour at this level. Having MP back will have a huge impact on the sales next tour.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2023, 08:41:02 AM »
1) I'm curious if some of the more connected members here had any kind of inkling that this was unfolding.

2) I also wonder if the Dreamsonic tour was the breaking point for the band deciding things need to be shaken up.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2023, 08:42:59 AM »
Maybe a bit of a reach but I'm curious if this is the reason behind the recent delays with the LNF Archives. Maybe Portnoy has been working on revamping the series to closer fit the effort put in for the YtseJam series (or he's straight-up bringnig YJ back)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2023, 08:44:59 AM »
1) I'm curious if some of the more connected members here had any kind of inkling that this was unfolding.

2) I also wonder if the Dreamsonic tour was the breaking point for the band deciding things need to be shaken up.

I got the news earlier this morning but couldn't release it (obviously) before the band did.
I sent a whatsapp to a friend and he was screaming like Ned Flanders by the news.

But I guess that those closer to the band (bosk1, weymo) knew about it days before.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2023, 08:45:17 AM »

I'm talking out my ass here, but I think they asked him to step down.

Same on both counts.

I'm just beyond elated that MP's back in the band.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2023, 08:45:42 AM »
Man I don't if I'm happy, mad, or depressed.

Quoted for truth....

Offline Skeever

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2023, 08:46:15 AM »
Did Mangini leave or get fired?

Gotta say, I'm pumped about this, but I did think that the last two DT albums finally showed Mangini coming into his own. So it is a little unfortunate, at least the timing aspect, that we won't get to see how they grow as a unit further. DT12 and ADTOE were far better to me than the Astonishing or Self-Titled.

I'm talking out my ass here, but I think they asked him to step down. Elements of DT's live shows have been declining over the last decade, and the sales figures of the Dreamsonic tour was probably the writing on the wall. I felt awful for the guys looking at the crowd at the most recent CT show. 

Concerts are all most bands have left to generate revenue, and DT only has a couple years remaining to tour at this level. Having MP back will have a huge impact on the sales next tour.

Well, the biggest issue seems to have been James LaBrie.
But not sure that was what was keeping people from buying tickets.

I definitely agree that an MP reunion seems like a fairly good shot at getting people to come out to another tour (and more).

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2023, 08:46:39 AM »
Had to log on to say WOW as well!

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Exactly.

It’s working because I’ve been more excited about this band in the last 30 mins than I have for the last few years.

Same, honestly.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2023, 08:48:01 AM »
Damn.
Yesterday we lost one of our dogs, and i kept repeating myself "there's a new love that's born for each one that has died", and then this happens.
Life's weird at times.
Mike Mangini cannot be thanked enough though. They're still alive because of him, and not just because they found a replacement, but because how good he was as a player and as a human.

Offline emtee

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2023, 08:48:32 AM »
Returning from lurk mode to say; Wow!

Literally had goosebumps reading that. All the best to Mangini, a true class act!

I had always hoped that this would happen and I'm so damn happy it did.

Amazing day for long time fans of DT!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2023, 08:49:48 AM »
Over 1k online....

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
Never has a thread been as busy as this thread is right now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2023, 08:52:05 AM »
Over 1k online....

Ya…what the heck happened on Jan 17th that outshined this news?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »
Flying Colors doesn't seem to be returning anytime soon

They're playing on CTTE in 2024, which feels really weird because I'm sure ~Dave LaRue~ Steve Morse is on a hiatus.

Anyway, let me echo the sentiment of everyone else ITT

holy. shit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:58:37 AM by Pebsie »

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2023, 08:52:47 AM »
To echo previous sentiments, "Wow!" and "I feel for Mangini."

Regardless, I think there's going to be newfound excitement for the next album and tour, which is exactly what they were aiming for.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »
Over 1k online....

Well, that IS my birthday.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2023, 08:53:14 AM »

I got the news earlier this morning but couldn't release it (obviously) before the band did.
I sent a whatsapp to a friend and he was screaming like Ned Flanders by the news.

But I guess that those closer to the band (bosk1, weymo) knew about it days before.
I had about a 5 minute head start on the rest of the world lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »
I imagine this is gonna sell a lot of live tickets

DING DING DING

IMO, this is undoubtedly part of the "why," given the overall poor (and unexpected) reception of Dreamsonic.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2023, 08:54:02 AM »
Literally had to check to see if it was April 1st like 5 times.

*looks outside*

Leaves are changing colors and falling but...umm, OK, so it's not April 1st? I'm going to check again.

Anyway, does this mean a new Sons of Apollo album will be delayed?  ;)

Offline HOF

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2023, 08:54:36 AM »
Wow! Cool to see them back together. Hopefully Mangini’s departure was on good terms and there’s no hard feeling there (I guess I should read the full release if this was discussed).

Edit: hard to tell from the release and the quotes what went down. He certainly gave a classy parting message, but as to why he is departing, I suppose we can only speculate. Seems like the 40th anniversary coming up may have players a role.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2023, 08:54:45 AM »
Not the lineup change I was hoping we'd get considering some issues we discussed here a lot the past tour...

I'm excited but sad at the same time. They clearly fired MM just like they did with the Derek/Jordan situation. I get it, but at the same time I don't.

A View is one of the best things they've done in a long long time, they even won a Grammy for it, which might not mean much to us but it means a lot to them... and they fire MM?

How's bringing MP back going to fix the issue with James' vocals? But those saying this will bring a sales boost are most likely right.

Anyway... let's see what they come up with for DT16.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2023, 08:54:54 AM »
With MP back (still feels weird saying that) I think if DreamSonic does happen again, it’ll be called Progressive Nation.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2023, 08:55:06 AM »
I wonder why now? Most of us figured it'd happen someday, but it's certainly a dramatic move. Declining ticket sales would certainly seem to be a part of it, but I don't think that the lineup was the problem there. Seemed to me that prices were a bigger factor, and their decision to play venues far, far too big for them (which led to the prices).

I'll got to see damn near any MP project, and this will be no different, but the thing that will really matter is if they go back to playing organic, live concerts again. I stopped going to many of them because I found them boring. MP is the difference maker there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol NEVER HAPPEN, huh??? NOW, we can get back to DREAM THEATER! :corn :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2023, 08:56:17 AM »
On the one hand this should mean the drums'll sound better on the next release!

On the other hand there were things happening both live and in the studio towards the end of MP's original tenure that I wasn't at all thrilled about so I'm worried they'll make a comeback.

I'm glad relationships have been mended, though. I just hope they've not done MM dirty in the process.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
I had the strangest dream last night that my buddy and I were at a concert where Kevin Moore was singing the entire WDADU album. But he blew his voice out after song one and the show was cancelled. Then I wake up to crazy news about another former DT member taking the stage again. Weird!

My first thought, though, is poor Mike Mangini. :(

Offline tofee35

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2023, 08:57:09 AM »
My mouth has been open for 10 minutes straight. I don't know how to feel. Wow.
-Tof

Offline jammindude

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2023, 08:57:21 AM »
Over 1k online....

Well, that IS my birthday.

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »
the thing that will really matter is if they go back to playing organic, live concerts again. I stopped going to many of them because I found them boring. MP is the difference maker there.
Bingo.

I suspect that will be the case.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2023, 08:59:28 AM »
I never thought I'd have the mixed feelings I do over this news. I'm incredibly excited, but somehow saddened by it as well.

Same, i've grown to like MM quite a lot, both as a drummer and as a personality.
I'm kind of disappointed that it took so many albums (until AVFTTOTW) to get a good sound and him so involved in the songwriting.

On the other hand, a reunion with MP was inevitable, and given the fact that the band is aging, i think they took a "realistic" approach to get a last push of publicity until they throw down the towel.

It will be interesting to see how the band will continue, especially on the live aspect (use of click track, rotating setlists etc). Also i would really like to see MP's take on crazy tracks like The Alien.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2023, 09:00:19 AM »
I’m excited but also feel for Mangini in this.
Same, honestly.

Yeah....now I'm just curious as to how it all went down. He's such a good dude and jumped into a no win situation and handled it all so well. AND gave us some incredible drumming.

Never thought this day would come....as others have said.....I thought a cameo appearance onstage for a song or two or something like that.....but never a full member again.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Skeever

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »
I'll got to see damn near any MP project, and this will be no different, but the thing that will really matter is if they go back to playing organic, live concerts again. I stopped going to many of them because I found them boring. MP is the difference maker there.

I finally bit the bullet and saw them on this last tour (twice). Enjoyed it, but yeah, it was a different vibe.

MP brings a lot of excitement back in. What's the setlist going to be? Will the songs be played exactly like the studio versions, or will there be some surprises? And yeah, the whole idea of playing to a click or not also factors in, I think.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »
Not the lineup change I was hoping we'd get considering some issues we discussed here a lot the past tour...

How's bringing MP back going to fix the issue with James' vocals? But those saying this will bring a sales boost are most likely right.

Just... wow.  That's immediately what you focus on, a topic that has been beaten death.  Your 1st thought is "ah man, I was hoping James was gone."

Just... WTF man???