Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116667 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2023, 08:21:20 AM »
Had to log on to say WOW as well!

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Hi Kev!

And HOLY SHIT

Offline Trav86

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2023, 08:21:25 AM »
I wonder what the story is for this and how it came to be.

$$$

They need a boost.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2023, 08:21:38 AM »
You think so?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2023, 08:21:44 AM »
Very exciting news! I never thought it would happen, and I was never clamoring for it as I really loved Mangini in his role.

But YES I AM EXCITED FOR THIS!!!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2023, 08:24:05 AM »
A friend just texted me saying Portnoy was back and I replied "A little late for April Fools, innit?" but sure enough, I rush here to check and WHOA OMG WTF THIS IS CRAZY!

Literal chills. All over. I was NOT expecting this, but looking at the last few years of MP's career, maybe it was making sense, as well as MM's solo album coming out (or did it already come out? I haven't paid attention). Seems like Neal Morse is winding down and I wouldn't be surprised if he called it quits after next year, at least from touring. Transatlantic was pretty much done last year, and Flying Colors doesn't seem to be returning anytime soon. The Winery Dogs have been fairly successful, though their time together is so spread out I don't see MP needing to leave them to be with DT.

But...it's wild. The Final Chapters of DT have begun, and now we get the SFAM-BC&SL line-up once more. I think JP working with MP on his solo album *and* LTE3 were signs that JP wanted to play with MP again in DT, and it seems like that'll happen. I'm astonished (in a good way), and I cannot wait to see what happens next for MP and the band. Holy crap...

EDIT - I wonder if they'll play any material from the MM-era on tour, and if so, it'll be REAL interesting to hear how MP covers MM's parts. Maybe he'll watch all those "If Portnoy played (this song)" videos on YouTube. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2023, 08:24:16 AM »

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Exactly.
Can't we find the minds

Offline romdrums

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2023, 08:24:21 AM »
I wonder what the story is for this and how it came to be.

$$$

They need a boost.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the primary motivator.

I wonder how this is going to affect the power dynamic though.  Are they just going to let him step right back in to every role he held before he left? I can't see James agreeing to that.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2023, 08:25:08 AM »
I'll tag along with the other comments:

- Wow.

- Completely out of the blue, yeah, one might get the sense this could happen eventually, but just now?

- I feel for Mangini too, it feels like he was basically let go, I would have welcomed MP's return with more excitement if it was his own decision to leave.

So..... can we just enjoy some lifelong friends reuniting, or should we already start to speculate on the musical direction, if the click track will be gone and if MP will play songs from the Mangini era?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2023, 08:25:43 AM »
Definitely did not see this coming! Thank you for your amazing service Mangini, and welcome back Portnoy!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2023, 08:26:30 AM »
Now I know why so many were hanging on this part of the forum.  :lol

Holy shit I honestly never saw this coming!

Thank you for your service MM!!!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Polarbear

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2023, 08:27:39 AM »
Holy Shit!

First of all, all the best to Mangini. He was the right man to jump into the drummers seat during a difficult time for the band. Whatever he decides to do next, I'm sure he'll be fine and have bright career still ahead of him.

However, this is the most exciting DT news for a long time! Portnoy is THE drummer of DT, and I'm so excited that he is back. This almost doesn't feel real, but it's great that the wounds of 2010 seems to have healed between them. Portnoy being back as a songwriter also, is amazing.

I'm sure we will find out in the near future why they decided to reunite now, but as of now welcome back Mike! :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
So..... can we just enjoy some lifelong friends reuniting, or should we already start to speculate on the musical direction, if the click track will be gone and if MP will play songs from the Mangini era?  ;D

Do you need to ask? :neverusethis:

It'd be dumb if they completely ignored songs from the MM era going forward, though I bet there will only be 1 or 2 per night.

I could see there being some internal disagreements over whether or not they ditch the click track, but I hope they do.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
I wonder if this is one last album/tour cycle before they retire? Bringing MP back for that would feel right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2023, 08:28:49 AM »
What, no Kevin Moore?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2023, 08:29:55 AM »
What, no Kevin Moore?

They asked him if he'd be open again to returning, but, well you know.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2023, 08:30:27 AM »
I did not see this coming. But I am so happy...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2023, 08:30:30 AM »
I never thought I'd have the mixed feelings I do over this news. I'm incredibly excited, but somehow saddened by it as well.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2023, 08:30:44 AM »
What, no Kevin Moore?

He'll have to smile and learn to pretend.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2023, 08:30:53 AM »
This is really unexpected.

Wishing MM the best. He brought us some great music. But this is exciting  :metal never thought this would happen.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2023, 08:31:23 AM »
And lastly....

Why the fuck now....god dammit.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2023, 08:31:47 AM »
EDIT - I wonder if they'll play any material from the MM-era on tour, and if so, it'll be REAL interesting to hear how MP covers MM's parts. Maybe he'll watch all those "If Portnoy played (this song)" videos on YouTube. :lol

I can't see them not playing some of that music.  The pre-MM music has been played to death IMO.  I'd actually rather see a set list more geared towards the MM albums. It may not happen now, but I'd love to see MP play those songs.

I'm just more hopeful that the live show gets better now.  I'm not sure if MP is coming back into the band with some control, or if he takes a back seat, but some things like no click and rotating setlists would mean a much better live show IMO.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2023, 08:31:58 AM »
this is all part of the 10 year plan for MP to finally buy that house in Seattle

I AM SO EXCITED I MISSED THIS THREAD AND MADE MY OWN LOL
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2023, 08:32:10 AM »
Did Mangini leave or get fired?

Gotta say, I'm pumped about this, but I did think that the last two DT albums finally showed Mangini coming into his own. So it is a little unfortunate, at least the timing aspect, that we won't get to see how they grow as a unit further. DT12 and ADTOE were far better to me than the Astonishing or Self-Titled.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2023, 08:32:16 AM »
I never thought I'd have the mixed feelings I do over this news. I'm incredibly excited, but somehow saddened by it as well.

Think this sums up my feelings as well. Its of course exciting to see what Mike P will bring back after his absence, but its sad to see MM go, given his importance in the 2010s era DT.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline romdrums

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2023, 08:32:45 AM »

Same here. I hope they don't pull the Yes BS where Steve Howe doesn't play anything from the Rabin years, or Wakeman won't play anything from Relayer, or Jon Anderson won't do anything from Drama, etc.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »
They barely play anything from the MM era now unless it’s the newest lol.
Can't we find the minds

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2023, 08:35:19 AM »
I'm curious how the album will turn out

Offline jeff_kinsley

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2023, 08:35:30 AM »
Wow! High hopes for the new album. Looking forward to the return of their heavier side.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2023, 08:36:02 AM »
Heavier side? I think it's been pretty heavy the last few albums (TA not included)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
Heavier side? I think it's been pretty heavy the last few albums (TA not included)

yeah, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »

Exactly.

It’s working because I’ve been more excited about this band in the last 30 mins than I have for the last few years.
Can't we find the minds

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:06 AM »
I can say with absolute confidence this will be the final incarnation of DT…

I wonder if this was a wise thing for JLB to say. 

Something in my gut is telling me that this quote won’t age well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
I'm not super familiar with this Portnoy kid but he's got some big shoes to fill.

In all seriousness, Mangini's drumming for Dream Theater, especially on D/T and AVFTTOTW, was nothing short of spectacular. You can tell from band interviews and by watching live performances that Mangini was a super fun and hardworking guy. I really hope he didn't get shafted like Sherinian.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:37 AM »
Yea, they need to stop saying that :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:01 AM »

Same here. I hope they don't pull the Yes BS where Steve Howe doesn't play anything from the Rabin years, or Wakeman won't play anything from Relayer, or Jon Anderson won't do anything from Drama, etc.

My guess is that the first tour with MP back, will eb all MP material. And on the second tour cycle after him rejoining they will play 1-3 MM's songs.