Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116704 times)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #3150 on: January 27, 2024, 08:42:42 AM »
I guess another term that could be thrown around is being made redundant?  That usually means in regards to the position and why the employee gets 'let go', but he as an employee was pretty much being made redundant.

I dunno, I don't think it was ever something the band wanted to really do.  If JP and MP never sniffed each other out again, the band would be preparing their next album with MM happy as fuck.  It's a shitty situation all round.  I think we get the basic idea of it all and it's just one of those shitty situations in life.

Indeed.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3151 on: January 27, 2024, 08:53:18 AM »
Can't wait for this discussion to pick up more steam and be spicier!

Maybe when Chrystalstars inevitably starts being abusive again, without you guys noticing :lol

Oh that's cute, Rob24. You're being a troll, as usual so I shouldn't be surprised. Mods?

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3152 on: January 27, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
Crystal's all right :biggrin: She's just passionate about what she knows and likes, and that's great.

THANK YOU!  :-*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3153 on: January 27, 2024, 09:06:23 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3154 on: January 27, 2024, 09:26:11 AM »
a shark circling

I hate this.

Why?

It just stinks of manipulation. I hope it wasn't quite like that.

Re. Bridgeport. I was at Bridgeport. I did notice that vibe of detachment. Each band member seemed to be in his own little world. IDK.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3155 on: January 27, 2024, 09:29:46 AM »
a shark circling

I hate this.

Why?

It just stinks of manipulation. I hope it wasn't quite like that.

Re. Bridgeport. I was at Bridgeport. I did notice that vibe of detachment. Each band member seemed to be in his own little world. IDK.

I’m don’t think manipulative would be the right word. Hovering, maybe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3156 on: January 28, 2024, 06:39:00 AM »
Yesterday I was at a show of an italian power metal band (with some proggy inserts here and there), Secret Sphere. I found some parallelisms with DT.

It was their 25th anniversary, and several years ago their original singer returned, having been previously in the band from its inception until 2012.

This is part of the press release written in the YouTube description of the reunion album from 2021 (they just released another one):

"I spent the past two years thinking about the future of Secret Sphere and there was something missing. I needed to rediscover the joy in writing music for this band that has been part of my life for more than 20 years. And I'm pleased to say I found it. "Lifeblood" is the celebration of the joy to compose music," says founding member and guitarist Aldo Lonobile

The new album also marks the return of vocalist Roberto Messina to the fold, who fronted the band from 1997 – 2012. The reunion with Roberto takes everything back to those glorious early days for the band, with the same joy and will to make music for fun.
[/i]

His replacement, Michele Luppi, is a TERRIFIC singer. He's amazing. He's currently involved with Whitesnake as keyboard player and backing vocalist. But now that I got to hear the original voice back, the voice that accompanied young Mirrormask in his 20s with all those songs he liked..... it just feels right.

Also the singer at a point of the show remembered how they were all in school and the bassist and the guitarist approached him on the schoolbus asking him to join their band. You cannot erase a bond that lasts that long since your formative years.

So the parallelisms I see with Dream Theater are:

- The guys being lifelong friends and family since their young days
- The replacement being a terrific and absolutely great guy, while also...... NOT being the guy they replaced

So just as a bunch of kids that went to school together are now happy to make music together again, I'm sure that the other guys in DT as well, and JP first and foremost, just felt "the call" and how having Portnoy back felt right. They're not young anymore (young as touring and active musicians I mean), they know they're in the last part of their carrer, and having their brother back in the band is something ten other drummers put together could never make up for.  At a certain point it's not a matter of who's the best drummer, it's just a matter of lifelong bonds being the most important thing of all.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3157 on: January 28, 2024, 06:55:13 AM »

- The replacement being a terrific and absolutely great guy, while also...... NOT being the guy they replaced

So just as a bunch of kids that went to school together are now happy to make music together again, I'm sure that the other guys in DT as well, and JP first and foremost, just felt "the call" and how having Portnoy back felt right. They're not young anymore (young as touring and active musicians I mean), they know they're in the last part of their carrer, and having their brother back in the band is something ten other drummers put together could never make up for.  At a certain point it's not a matter of who's the best drummer, it's just a matter of lifelong bonds being the most important thing of all.

This is actually a really great analogy! And I can see the parallel in the two bands' stories. I remember another poster here (forgive me I don't remember who it was as it was around a month ago) compared it to both the original and the replacement being family but one was a near cousin and the other a brother (whoever said this please come forth so I can credit you) which was another analogy that helped me see it.

It doesn't erase the fact that what happened to MM was, as Wolfking said above, a "shitty situation" or that a few of us will mourn the MM era a bit (especially those like myself who became fans in the last 13 years), but it does help.

Edit:
Regarding the whole "family" thing, an (imperfect) analogy that I just thought of might help. You have 5 brothers who live in the family home that their late parents left for them. They cover the costs together, and then one of the brothers wants to move out and live elsewhere. While irritated by the loss, the other 4 brothers move on and welcome a close cousin to live with them in their brother's place, and he always serves as a great roommate but never fills all the roles that their brother had. Eventually the brothers come around to the fact that they miss their brother, and since he's at the end of the lease at where he's living, they discuss having him move back in with them. They also consider that their cousin, while impacted, has enough funds in the bank and opportunities to easily find another place to live, and so they ask him to leave so that their brother can return home. It may seem like a bit of a jerk move to those outside the family, but everyone in the family understands and is cool with it. So the cousin is still family, but the connection with the brother is closer and deeper.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 04:03:54 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3158 on: January 28, 2024, 12:48:28 PM »

This is actually a really great analogy! And I can see the parallel in the two bands' stories. I remember another poster here (forgive me I don't remember who it was as it was around a month ago) compared it to both the original and the replacement being family but one was a near cousin and the other a brother (whoever said this please come forth so I can credit you) which was another analogy that helped me see it.

It doesn't erase the fact that what happened to MM was, as Wolfking said above, a "shitty situation" or that a few of us will mourn the MM era a bit (especially those like myself who became fans in the last 13 years), but it does help.
I agree - excellent comparison! And yes, I was the one who came up with the brother/close cousin analogy. Glad that it didn't fall on deaf ears (since I don't remember anyone responding to it or citing it previously).   :)  Here's the link to that post:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58684.msg3073005#msg3073005
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3159 on: January 29, 2024, 04:05:46 AM »
I agree - excellent comparison! And yes, I was the one who came up with the brother/close cousin analogy. Glad that it didn't fall on deaf ears (since I don't remember anyone responding to it or citing it previously).   :)  Here's the link to that post:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58684.msg3073005#msg3073005

Aha, thank you! 😁 I just edited my above post to acknowledge your quote.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3160 on: January 29, 2024, 05:59:42 AM »
It's a simple and a great analogy. I know any band is also a business etc, but I also believe that the core motivation for this reunion was something like this, coming from the heart. From all these (30!) years following the band, I think they all are this kind of people.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3161 on: January 29, 2024, 07:14:51 AM »
great idea. i think i'll leave the dt discord forever. noxon was always kinda mean anyway
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3162 on: January 29, 2024, 08:18:33 AM »
great idea. i think i'll leave the dt discord forever. noxon was always kinda mean anyway
How was he mean? He's always been a straight shooter who doesn't put up with crap, but if he's the one responsible for the DT Discord, then it sounds like he's tolerating a lot more garbage than he probably should based on the ridiculous claims you've mentioned are talked about there.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3163 on: January 29, 2024, 08:41:39 AM »
How was he mean? He's always been a straight shooter who doesn't put up with crap, but if he's the one responsible for the DT Discord, then it sounds like he's tolerating a lot more garbage than he probably should based on the ridiculous claims you've mentioned are talked about there.
He has never been mean (not to me anyway) and I've never had any issues with him. That's all I can tell you (I've been a member on and off for over 5 years there btw) Actually, he is among the friendliest people I've met to date. I had to mention this. That's all. Carry on. I most likely won't be back on here (to the relief of most on here I'd guess)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 08:46:56 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3164 on: January 29, 2024, 08:55:15 AM »
I've never heard anyone else say noxon was mean.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3165 on: January 29, 2024, 09:00:08 AM »
I've never heard anyone else say noxon was mean.

Agreed, always found him to be thoughtful and concise with his posts.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3166 on: January 29, 2024, 09:03:16 AM »
Plus he sent me some free shit so he's OK in my book lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: January 29, 2024, 09:03:33 AM »
I took the noxon comment as a joke along the line of everything else said since theres a consistency of bad jokes.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #3168 on: January 29, 2024, 09:08:19 AM »
He has never been mean (not to me anyway) and I've never had any issues with him. That's all I can tell you (I've been a member on and off for over 5 years there btw) Actually, he is among the friendliest people I've met to date. I had to mention this. That's all. Carry on. I most likely won't be back on here (to the relief of most on here I'd guess)

I don't think anyone here wants you gone, man. I sure appreciate your hard work on the new album timeline topics. But don't let me stop you if you're not happy here.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: January 29, 2024, 09:14:35 AM »
I still don't quite understand why he threw his toys here but still apparently posts on the DT Discord channel. Funny old world! (And not that I really care, mind :biggrin: )
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3170 on: January 29, 2024, 09:45:04 AM »
I still don't quite understand why he threw his toys here but still apparently posts on the DT Discord channel. Funny old world! (And not that I really care, mind :biggrin: )
Yeah I thought the same. If he has a problem with the band, then why be involved in any discussion forum about DT? Either he's still a DT fan or he's not. And besides that, from what Hovering said, it sounds like this place is much more balanced than that Discord and nobody was telling Max to leave or anything even remotely like that.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3171 on: January 29, 2024, 11:20:57 AM »
I'm honestly relieved to say that I've patched things up as needed (by my own volition mind you) and I will now post a bit more regularly here again, if tolerated.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3172 on: January 29, 2024, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm honestly relieved to say that I've patched things up as needed (by my own volition mind you) and I will now post a bit more regularly here again, if tolerated.
Welcome back Max!   :)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: January 29, 2024, 12:38:43 PM »
Yes, I echo that. I think Max brings a fairly unique perspective.

(Re the other thread) MP behaved a bit oddly when I met in 2007(?) but I put that down to his New Yorkishness :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3174 on: January 29, 2024, 01:10:42 PM »

(Re the other thread) MP behaved a bit oddly when I met in 2007(?) but I put that down to his New Yorkishness :lol
I travelled to NYC once (in 2018), great people. Friendly, to the point, no bullshitting. Great.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3175 on: January 29, 2024, 01:41:50 PM »

Welcome to the Forums!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3176 on: January 29, 2024, 09:10:57 PM »

I travelled to NYC once (in 2018), great people. Friendly, to the point, no bullshitting. Great.

Proud New Yorker here (in case my username didn’t give it away). We have a very brash and blunt way of speaking that can come of as rude and live a fast life that can come off as impatient, but we’re a generally friendly people, well usually, but I’m a bit of an asshole.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3177 on: January 30, 2024, 07:05:21 AM »

Proud New Yorker here (in case my username didn’t give it away). We have a very brash and blunt way of speaking that can come of as rude and live a fast life that can come off as impatient, but we’re a generally friendly people, well usually, but I’m a bit of an asshole.
I've only been to NYC once (for the SCORE concert in 2006), and I didn't feel that anyone I interacted with there was unduly rude or impatient. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3178 on: January 30, 2024, 07:13:21 AM »
I'm not from NY, I'm from Connecticut, but I spend a lot of time in the City, and it's a style.  I love it, frankly, but over the years I have noticed - and commented on - some of the things that the band has said and done and chalked it up to a New York/eastern sentimentality.  In particular, I think some of Mike's humor gets lost in that way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: January 30, 2024, 07:18:29 AM »
I'm not saying people from the New York area are horrible. There's just a brashness that stereotypically goes along with it, that's all. Mike happened to reflect that when I met him in person. Still enjoyed meeting him and we had a good chuckle together at my expense, too.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: January 30, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »

I'll take brash and blunt over southern hospitality any day of the week.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3181 on: January 31, 2024, 06:22:49 AM »
I'm not from NY, I'm from Connecticut, but I spend a lot of time in the City, and it's a style.  I love it, frankly, but over the years I have noticed - and commented on - some of the things that the band has said and done and chalked it up to a New York/eastern sentimentality.  In particular, I think some of Mike's humor gets lost in that way.

I'll take brash and blunt over southern hospitality any day of the week.

Now what is wrong with southern hospitality? As a New England girl who married a southern boy, I have to say that he and his family are some of the sweetest people I've ever met.

And to Stadler's point, yes, there is definitely a northeastern way, too. And unlike the southerners, we're normally never accused of being too nice. 😁 For example, just take a look at (by comparison) how we drive. LOL

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: January 31, 2024, 07:05:56 AM »
Southern hospitality seems very disingenuous to me, this is speaking with experience of spending the past 6 years of my life in North Carolina (spent the majority of my life in Florida). Using my neighborhood the folks who were born and raised from the south are the ones who are the most gossipy and judgmental while often trying to mask it behind a friendly face. In my neighborhood people are from all over the place, there are tons of folks from New England, Florida, Ohio, California, etc. The neighbors who are from the south are typically the ones who are biggest issue.

Offline Rigel

« Reply #3183 on: January 31, 2024, 07:20:56 AM »
Southern hospitality seems very disingenuous to me, this is speaking with experience of spending the past 6 years of my life in North Carolina (spent the majority of my life in Florida). Using my neighborhood the folks who were born and raised from the south are the ones who are the most gossipy and judgmental while often trying to mask it behind a friendly face. In my neighborhood people are from all over the place, there are tons of folks from New England, Florida, Ohio, California, etc. The neighbors who are from the south are typically the ones who are biggest issue.

I'm not saying it's true, but this map made the news last year:

NYC is a weird place when it comes to this but I think the map is accurate.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #3184 on: January 31, 2024, 07:39:50 AM »
gossipy and judgmental while often trying to mask it behind a friendly face

Of course, this can never be found in New England, no, especially not in a snob town.. :lol

I respect your experience, though, and see where you're coming from.