Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124672 times)

Offline emtee

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1715 on: November 21, 2023, 04:07:53 PM »
So I just finished listening to The Glass Prison on my headphones. Goosebumps. And I started thinking about that first show together, wherever it is, when the band takes the stage together again for the first time in many years. Speaking of goosebumps, can you imagine what that moment is going to feel like? When Mike walks out in semi darkness and slips behind the kit. The energy will be momentous. That few minutes of that first song together on stage is something I hope is recorded and shared. Some of us have been on this ride for a damn long time and that is going to be an epic and emotional occasion.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1716 on: November 21, 2023, 05:57:00 PM »

JP can handle the contrast though not so much the color, JLB is a no on both grounds haha :lol I don't understand why he didn't keep the ADTOE do, that was very low maintenance, you'd swear it was his natural hair color, and lovely on him!

Yes ✨ yes, it was.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1717 on: November 21, 2023, 06:13:15 PM »
So I just finished listening to The Glass Prison on my headphones. Goosebumps. And I started thinking about that first show together, wherever it is, when the band takes the stage together again for the first time in many years. Speaking of goosebumps, can you imagine what that moment is going to feel like? When Mike walks out in semi darkness and slips behind the kit. The energy will be momentous. That few minutes of that first song together on stage is something I hope is recorded and shared. Some of us have been on this ride for a damn long time and that is going to be an epic and emotional occasion.
Indeed! It’s gonna be an amazing moment. We all need to savor this time, because it’s going to be so exciting! I’m predicting every show is going to be sold out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:53:54 PM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1718 on: November 21, 2023, 08:48:47 PM »

Been thinking about that in those terms. I'm sure even an audience recording is going to be really exciting, whenever it transitions into the intro track on the speakers to the actual band playing. I actually can't imagine a bad choice for that moment (I mean, in terms of realistic choices – before someone says "it'd be anti-climactic if they started with Hollow Years"). Metropolis? Golden. The Glass Prison? Forget about it. Pull me under? Come on! Crimson Sunrise? Aaaaaaargh  :yarr

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1719 on: November 21, 2023, 11:39:08 PM »
I for one, sure hope the first show back is within travel distance, because I want to be front row center! How does first show back being at Berklee Performing Center sound? Full circle?

:omg:  :metal :coolio :tup :hefdaddy

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: November 21, 2023, 11:39:22 PM »
These things about appearance and visual can sometimes surprise.

If I had arrived on planet Earth today and someone said to me: "How about a band whose guitarist is the big star of the band, and that guitarist plays dressed as a schoolboy?" I would certainly say: "What a wonderfully stupid idea, congratulations!"

And if the same person told me: "This band exists and is a huge worldwide success", I would be surprised. And I would be even more surprised if I were told that this band still performs the same way, and that the schoolboy guitarist is now an elderly man.

:lol

This is actually an interesting point to me. I cannot listen to AC/DC because of their schtick. (Well, that and the usual criticisms.) I've always found it beyond cringeworthy and just cannot separate it out.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1721 on: November 21, 2023, 11:50:38 PM »

If I had arrived on planet Earth today and someone said to me: "How about a band whose guitarist is the big star of the band, and that guitarist plays dressed as a schoolboy?" I would certainly say: "What a wonderfully stupid idea, congratulations!"

And if the same person told me: "This band exists and is a huge worldwide success", I would be surprised. And I would be even more surprised if I were told that this band still performs the same way, and that the schoolboy guitarist is now an elderly man.

This is actually an interesting point to me. I cannot listen to AC/DC because of their schtick. (Well, that and the usual criticisms.) I've always found it beyond cringeworthy and just cannot separate it out.

Can I just briefly insert that casual listeners tend to criticize Angus for “only knowing 3 chords”….but in the guitar community at large, he is revered and considered grossly underrated as an immensely talented soloist.

His 3 solo breaks in the song Riff Raff are among the most exciting, enjoyable, and thrilling guitar solos I’ve ever heard.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: November 22, 2023, 02:34:49 AM »
Oh, he's quite possibly, and more than likely, a great guitarist. But the whole image just gets in the way for me and that's it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: November 22, 2023, 03:21:14 AM »

Can I just briefly insert that casual listeners tend to criticize Angus for “only knowing 3 chords”….but in the guitar community at large, he is revered and considered grossly underrated as an immensely talented soloist.

His 3 solo breaks in the song Riff Raff are among the most exciting, enjoyable, and thrilling guitar solos I’ve ever heard.

As a solid guitarist myself yet someone who really can't stand ACDC, I have never really thought Angus as overrated.  I actually have never really given much thought to him or his level of skill.  Weird......

I always thought he just played perfectly for the style they play so not really needing to give it much thought.  I've never heard Riff Raff so I'll check that out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: November 22, 2023, 03:59:08 AM »

As a solid guitarist myself yet someone who really can't stand ACDC, I have never really thought Angus as overrated.  I actually have never really given much thought to him or his level of skill.  Weird......

I always thought he just played perfectly for the style they play so not really needing to give it much thought.  I've never heard Riff Raff so I'll check that out.

Yeah, definitely cool solos.  Nice song too.  He really works with the groove and the rhythms really well.  A lot of Michael Schenker vibes in there too.  Especially the start of the second solo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1725 on: November 22, 2023, 07:05:20 AM »
Cool! I’m really glad you enjoyed that song!  :metal

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1726 on: November 22, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »
He's fine as a guitarist, but I for one don't criticize him for only knowing 3 chords.  I criticize him (and the band) for only PLAYING 3 or 4 chords.  Over and over again.  Same ones.  Every song.  Every album.  I'm not saying that if you've heard one AC/DC album, you've heard them all, but I've heard them all, and I feel like I've only heard one, about ten times or so.

But hey, they don't need my approval, they've had a fine career, and congratulations to them for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1727 on: November 22, 2023, 08:42:03 AM »
He's fine as a guitarist, but I for one don't criticize him for only knowing 3 chords.  I criticize him (and the band) for only PLAYING 3 or 4 chords.  Over and over again.  Same ones.  Every song.  Every album.  I'm not saying that if you've heard one AC/DC album, you've heard them all, but I've heard them all, and I feel like I've only heard one, about ten times or so.

But hey, they don't need my approval, they've had a fine career, and congratulations to them for it.

That's kind of a myth though.  I'm a fan and have been since the early 80's, and if you play a snippet, I can almost certainly tell you what album it came from.  "High Voltage" doesn't sound ANYTHING like "Highway To Hell", and "Black In Black" doesn't sound ANYTHING like "Ballbreaker" for example.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1728 on: November 22, 2023, 09:03:37 AM »

That's kind of a myth though.  I'm a fan and have been since the early 80's, and if you play a snippet, I can almost certainly tell you what album it came from.  "High Voltage" doesn't sound ANYTHING like "Highway To Hell", and "Black In Black" doesn't sound ANYTHING like "Ballbreaker" for example.
Yeah, but you said it yourself - you're a fan.  So you have obviously spent more time and effort learning all these songs and albums.

I mean, I know that they had a change of singers (tragically), and the production will sound slightly different album to album; I can tell all that.  And I know which songs are on Back In Black, and that album definitely has its own distinctive sound.  But to me, the slightly-more-than-casual listener, other than those caveats, it all sounds pretty much the same.

I'm not even slamming them for it, just describing it, and noting a reason why I don't care for them all that much. 

It's not a myth, just because you don't experience it that way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: November 22, 2023, 09:32:21 AM »

Yeah, but you said it yourself - you're a fan.  So you have obviously spent more time and effort learning all these songs and albums.

I mean, I know that they had a change of singers (tragically), and the production will sound slightly different album to album; I can tell all that.  And I know which songs are on Back In Black, and that album definitely has its own distinctive sound.  But to me, the slightly-more-than-casual listener, other than those caveats, it all sounds pretty much the same.

I'm not even slamming them for it, just describing it, and noting a reason why I don't care for them all that much. 

Well, two things: one, I was gearing more towards the sound and production; of course I know the songs themselves, but I meant that there was progression through their career.  But it's more than production; it's the sound and the structure of the songs too.   There's nothing in the catalogue that sounds like "Can I Sit Next To You Girl", for example.    And two, I'm not saying it's a "myth" because of me.  I'm just saying that ANY band that someone isn't familiar with might sound all the same.  The same criticism came from my dad about AC/DC, Kiss, Sabbath, Purple...  I mean...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1730 on: November 22, 2023, 09:43:05 AM »

Well, two things: one, I was gearing more towards the sound and production; of course I know the songs themselves, but I meant that there was progression through their career.  But it's more than production; it's the sound and the structure of the songs too.   There's nothing in the catalogue that sounds like "Can I Sit Next To You Girl", for example.    And two, I'm not saying it's a "myth" because of me.  I'm just saying that ANY band that someone isn't familiar with might sound all the same.  The same criticism came from my dad about AC/DC, Kiss, Sabbath, Purple...  I mean...
Not familiar enough with Purple or Sabbath to say, but that's pretty legit for Kiss, for sure, in a way.  I mean, different eras, I suppose, but the stuff IN EACH ERA is very samesy.  Doesn't mean it isn't good.  But that's one thing that would lead me away from a band, not toward a band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: November 22, 2023, 10:41:33 AM »

Not familiar enough with Purple or Sabbath to say, but that's pretty legit for Kiss, for sure, in a way.  I mean, different eras, I suppose, but the stuff IN EACH ERA is very samesy.  Doesn't mean it isn't good.  But that's one thing that would lead me away from a band, not toward a band.

Maybe I'm too close to it.  Other than the vocals, for me, "Dressed To Kill" and "Destroyer" might as well be two different bands.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1732 on: November 22, 2023, 11:37:38 AM »
I understand that they are the same lineup, but to me the band that made KISS, Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed To Kill is absolutely a different band than the one that made Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over, and Love Gun. I think having a producer who gave a shit really impacted the way they wrote and arranged the songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1733 on: November 22, 2023, 11:50:39 AM »
Maybe I'm too close to it.  Other than the vocals, for me, "Dressed To Kill" and "Destroyer" might as well be two different bands.
Sounds the same to me lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: November 22, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »
I understand that they are the same lineup, but to me the band that made KISS, Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed To Kill is absolutely a different band than the one that made Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over, and Love Gun. I think having a producer who gave a shit really impacted the way they wrote and arranged the songs.

Exactly; it's a world apart from influences too; the first three are basically Zeppelin, The Stones ("Black Diamond"/"Brown Sugar") and Humble Pie, with a little Who thrown in, and the next three are Bowie, Alice Cooper and maybe a little Sweet (or Yardbirds) for good measure.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1735 on: November 22, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »

It doesn't sound exactly the same, but clearly works by the same band that decided to follow different paths.

Example of works that really sound like different bands:

Lost Paradise (1990); Draconian Times (1995) and Host (1999) by Paradise Lost
or
Serenades (1993); Eternity (1996); A Fine Day to Exit (2001) by Anathema.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1736 on: November 22, 2023, 12:36:57 PM »

It doesn't sound exactly the same, but clearly works by the same band that decided to follow different paths.

or

Hef was cracking a joke.  He's not ha fan of Kiss.  Though his brother is.  Any posters Hef in the shared beedroom as kids you fought over hanging up?  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1737 on: November 22, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »

or

Hef was cracking a joke.  He's not ha fan of Kiss.  Though his brother is.  Any posters Hef in the shared beedroom as kids you fought over hanging up?  LOL
I like KISS OK, I just don't love them like Stadler does (or my brother lol).

No fights over posters.  Not usually rock bands, though.  Fast cars and models usually.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: November 22, 2023, 12:55:47 PM »
Someone said "Posters"? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1739 on: November 22, 2023, 12:57:53 PM »
No surprise here lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1740 on: November 22, 2023, 01:09:05 PM »
I had that poster as well.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1741 on: November 22, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »
Same!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: November 22, 2023, 02:31:44 PM »
I remember that poster. A dork had it hanging in his hall locker. I think I may have hung the little troll by his belt from the drinking fountain.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1743 on: November 22, 2023, 02:50:59 PM »

Offline emtee

« Reply #1744 on: November 22, 2023, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanks for posting that.

Sounds like some things still have to be figured out but his attitude seems perfect to me. That's what age and maturity brings to the table.

It just sounds like there was a dynamic or element within the band that wasn't really where JP felt it needed to be with MM. And as time passed and MP reconnected, things felt right again. He said he didn't want to divulge too much about the conversation with JP and I think that's OK. It's their personal business.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1745 on: November 22, 2023, 04:09:16 PM »
Well, he said if the band wanted to play the Mangini material, he'd go along with it, but he clearly has his druthers.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1746 on: November 22, 2023, 04:20:07 PM »
Glad to see how he discussed the idea of being back in control regarding the setlists (as in: he doesn't want to rock the boat, but hopes they can "meet in the middle" and acknowledges it as one of his great passions from when he was in the band).

Also "eat my ass and balls" got a mention  :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1747 on: November 22, 2023, 06:07:49 PM »
Interesting stuff. It’s weird hearing Portnoy express the things he wants in Dream Theater while also knowing that ultimately it’s not his call. Very stark contrast from when he was in the band. Also got the impression that if he’s in charge of the Setlist again, we’re not going to get Mangini era stuff.

The fact that so much is an open question lends credence to the theory that the initial announcement was rushed though. It sounds like they haven’t even really had a full band meeting yet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1748 on: November 22, 2023, 06:13:38 PM »
The fact that so much is an open question

I'm surprised that they had not discussed roles.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1749 on: November 22, 2023, 06:23:37 PM »
After their worst album (A View From the Top of the World) I actually welcome Mike Portnoy back.  Hopefully Mike keeps his garbage woke politics off of the next album though. Bring back the memorable melodies along with great instumentals. Nothing was memorable from the last album IMO. Can't believe it was well regarded. I am hoping for an album similar to Awake filled with memorable shorter songs (by Dream Theater standards)