Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124563 times)

Offline crystalstars17

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1645 on: November 13, 2023, 04:27:32 AM »
Aside from the press release, cobbled together pic and a few comments on social media, has there been ANY other publicity for this? It feels really downplayed, honestly. This is BIG news for the prog / metal community and yet... still no interviews, no band picture / video of them together. Perhaps this will all come in time.

Agreeing, I would love to see more from the band about the direction they're going with this. They seem decidedly silent.

"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: November 13, 2023, 04:33:11 AM »
May I say the Wolfking Reality Checks are a thing of beauty?

They're even better when I remember to read them in an Aussie accent :biggrin:

:metal

The accent only makes them more convincing too.

Do you remember Alf from Home & Away? Kinda like that :lol

Bloody famin' galah he was!!

I wonder if he's still on it actually lol.  Fucking trash TV show now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: November 13, 2023, 04:36:52 AM »
Aside from the press release, cobbled together pic and a few comments on social media, has there been ANY other publicity for this? It feels really downplayed, honestly. This is BIG news for the prog / metal community and yet... still no interviews, no band picture / video of them together. Perhaps this will all come in time.

Agreeing, I would love to see more from the band about the direction they're going with this. They seem decidedly silent.

They are remaining quiet on purpose to watch all of us turn on each other on DTF fighting about the speculation on why they have been so quiet.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1648 on: November 13, 2023, 04:41:11 AM »

They are remaining quiet on purpose to watch all of us turn on each other on DTF fighting about the speculation on why they have been so quiet.

:rollin

Oh I am sure that if they're reading, here or anywhere else, that they have bigger concerns about what may be ripping the fandom apart right now.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: November 13, 2023, 04:44:29 AM »
 :lol Touche!  Best they don't come in here then!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1650 on: November 13, 2023, 05:13:02 AM »
:lol Touche!  Best they don't come in here then!

Lol yes, best they do not.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1651 on: November 13, 2023, 08:52:09 AM »
:lol The biggest reason why they had to photoshop the full band pic and why they haven't done anything together since the announcement is that MP had the rest of the year already booked with TWD + a few other select dates with other people. I'd be very very surprised if most of their conversations and agreements for the change WEREN'T done on phone calls/facetime/zoom/whatever.

I'm sure we'll get lots of full band activities next year, but for now the only thing that I expect seeing is JP and MP + families hanging out during the holidays (maybe JM too).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1652 on: November 13, 2023, 09:34:24 AM »
Nah. Sounds more like a rock and roll band is about to break (back) out to me :metal
You mean the same rock and roll band who gave us On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, Our New World, Fall Into the Light, and Answering the Call?

Someone had better notify JP that he was not in a rock band when he won his Grammy.
Opinions and all that, but 3 of the songs you cited are not exactly the greatest examples (at least to me) for you to make your point.   :lol
What's funny is I seriously for the life of me can't figure out which three you're talking about. Those are some of the best tracks, if not THE best track, on their respective albums. ???
OtBoA and TEI are OK but sorta meh - I think the fact that neither has been featured in the setlist since 2014 says something (although I know the same is true of everything from the s/t where everything was just played on a single tour). And ONW? Can't stand that song. Since Crystalstars was trying to argue her point, she would've been better off picking some other tracks. The obvious choice from ADToE would've been BAI or perhaps BitS, from the s/t probably IT although I think TBP is also a standout on that album. And if something from a divisive album like TA had to be included, MoB would have been the best bet in general. Even with FItL - it's a song I personally love, but either AWE or PBD would've been better tracks to reference there, too considering the general taste of this forum.  ;)

Nothing wrong with her choices.  She's entitled to like what she likes.  And aside from person tastes, those songs are generally liked and have gotten good crowd response.  But more importantly, that isn't even her point, and the songs she picked should be adequate to have illustrated her point.  Scotty, you post honestly just comes across as elitist gatekeeping, which is kind of surprising coming from you. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1653 on: November 13, 2023, 09:35:58 AM »
I would imagine the reason you haven't seen any more publicity or comment or anything from the band is due to MP's busy remaining touring schedule.  He hasn't been able to physically regroup with the rest of the band yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1654 on: November 13, 2023, 09:36:43 AM »
:lol The biggest reason why they had to photoshop the full band pic and why they haven't done anything together since the announcement is that MP had the rest of the year already booked with TWD + a few other select dates with other people. I'd be very very surprised if most of their conversations and agreements for the change WEREN'T done on phone calls/facetime/zoom/whatever.

So if they already knew Mike's schedule, and work on the next album was scheduled to being "anytime now", it must have been a relatively quick decision.

No way they would publicly committ to studio time for the follow up to View if they already knew months in advance they wanted to record that album with MP instead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1655 on: November 13, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

I'm sure we'll get lots of full band activities next year, but for now the only thing that I expect seeing is JP and MP + families hanging out during the holidays (maybe JM too).

Man.  You LOVE the assumption, don't you?   ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: November 13, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1657 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:41 AM »
#OGDT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: November 13, 2023, 09:59:51 AM »
#OGDT

Oesophago-gastric-duodenal transit ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1660 on: November 13, 2023, 11:45:23 AM »
Nah. Sounds more like a rock and roll band is about to break (back) out to me :metal
You mean the same rock and roll band who gave us On The Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, Our New World, Fall Into the Light, and Answering the Call?

Someone had better notify JP that he was not in a rock band when he won his Grammy.
Opinions and all that, but 3 of the songs you cited are not exactly the greatest examples (at least to me) for you to make your point.   :lol
What's funny is I seriously for the life of me can't figure out which three you're talking about. Those are some of the best tracks, if not THE best track, on their respective albums. ???
OtBoA and TEI are OK but sorta meh - I think the fact that neither has been featured in the setlist since 2014 says something (although I know the same is true of everything from the s/t where everything was just played on a single tour). And ONW? Can't stand that song. Since Crystalstars was trying to argue her point, she would've been better off picking some other tracks. The obvious choice from ADToE would've been BAI or perhaps BitS, from the s/t probably IT although I think TBP is also a standout on that album. And if something from a divisive album like TA had to be included, MoB would have been the best bet in general. Even with FItL - it's a song I personally love, but either AWE or PBD would've been better tracks to reference there, too considering the general taste of this forum.  ;)
Nothing wrong with her choices.  She's entitled to like what she likes.  And aside from person tastes, those songs are generally liked and have gotten good crowd response.  But more importantly, that isn't even her point, and the songs she picked should be adequate to have illustrated her point.  Scotty, you post honestly just comes across as elitist gatekeeping, which is kind of surprising coming from you.
In hindsight, you’re right. I didn’t use the discretion I should have, especially because I didn’t take into consideration that her perspective is somewhat similar to what we went through in 2010 as I think she posted elsewhere. It just bothered me that someone was in essence discounting the point being made that things were the not same, especially live, with MM as they were with MP, from someone who hadn’t been there during MP’s first stint with the band. I think that’s what cause me to miss the real point she was making with the examples she gave (plus the Grammy comment didn’t help). Regardless, that doesn’t excuse my post, and for that I apologize to crystalstars.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1661 on: November 13, 2023, 12:52:04 PM »
#OGDT

Oesophago-gastric-duodenal transit ?

Bless you, and welcome to the forum!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1662 on: November 13, 2023, 05:20:58 PM »

Man.  You LOVE the assumption, don't you?   ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Lol, I mean, they clearly didn't have a proper photoshoot or they would've used that instead of the basic photoshop they posted (maybe it's possible they did have one but all their photos got deleted accidentally ;) ). But, seriously, Mike P has been touring with TWD for a while lately so he couldn't  possibly be there with them. I don't see how that's speculation or assumption on my part, they used a photoshopped image and MP was out touring, those are facts, not my opinion.

And I get it, lawyer stuff and all that, but day to day life has a lot more nuance and is completely different from a court environment. Just my two cents.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1663 on: November 13, 2023, 05:32:28 PM »
Yeah, I don't really see much in the way of assumption in there either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1664 on: November 13, 2023, 05:53:23 PM »
Not sure if it was posted here or not, but Mike shared some pics earlier on FB and it looks like he stopped by the Drumeo HQ for some performances and what not. I'm guessing they'll talk a LOT about his return to DT, so I expect some interesting interview questions and answers whenever that video comes out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1665 on: November 13, 2023, 06:44:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SmUgj8KZMw&ab_channel=Ibagenscast

Felipe Andreoli, Brazilian monster bass player who played some shows with MP and Sons of Apollo last year, was asked about his opinion both as a fan and coworker on Mike's return to DT, and he said that since then (we're talking about a year ago more or less) Mike was already "talking about and articulating with the other guys" his return to the band and that it seemed it would happen soon, cause sounded like something he really wanted. But that he, Felipe, was surprised of how fast it actually came to be.

It is all right at the beginning of the interview and it is in Brazilian Portuguese.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1666 on: November 13, 2023, 06:49:04 PM »

Felipe Andreoli, Brazilian monster bass player who played some shows with MP and Sons of Apollo last year, was asked about his opinion both as a fan and coworker on Mike's return to DT, and he said that since then (we're talking about a year ago more or less) Mike was already "talking about and articulating with the other guys" his return to the band and that it seemed it would happen soon, cause sounded like something he really wanted. But that he, Felipe, was surprised of how fast it actually came to be.

It is all right at the beginning of the interview and it is in Brazilian Portuguese.

Yup. Mike had been playing the long game for a few years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1667 on: November 13, 2023, 07:24:58 PM »
Honestly, when I first heard about him and James making amends at that show a while back, my initial thought was that it was more of a strategic move on Mike's part than anything else.  That domino had to fall to get back into DT and he had to be the one to make the first move.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1668 on: November 13, 2023, 07:30:53 PM »
Honestly, when I first heard about him and James making amends at that show a while back, my initial thought was that it was more of a strategic move on Mike's part than anything else.  That domino had to fall to get back into DT and he had to be the one to make the first move.

And wasn't it sprung on James that night, so there was no way for him to hide from it. I'm sure JP knew he'd be there. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1669 on: November 13, 2023, 07:37:26 PM »

And wasn't it sprung on James that night, so there was no way for him to hide from it. I'm sure JP knew he'd be there. ;D

I think I remember it said that James was called that day and told Mike wanted to meet up, and James took a walk to think it over.  He was basically put in a situation where he had to say yes or else he looks like the bad guy who won't bury the hatchet, when amends had been made with all the others already.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1670 on: November 13, 2023, 08:00:59 PM »

I think I remember it said that James was called that day and told Mike wanted to meet up, and James took a walk to think it over.  He was basically put in a situation where he had to say yes or else he looks like the bad guy who won't bury the hatchet, when amends had been made with all the others already.

Man the band needs to post some sort of update. I’m afraid this thread is starting to derail and head in a negative direction.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1671 on: November 13, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »

Man the band needs to post some sort of update. I’m afraid this thread is starting to derail and head in a negative direction.

Really? I don't get that impression.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1672 on: November 13, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »
Some people have a wild imagination. :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1673 on: November 13, 2023, 09:34:57 PM »

Yup. Mike had been playing the long game for a few years.

Step by step as New Kids on the Block would say.  :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: November 13, 2023, 10:54:34 PM »
Not sure if it was posted here or not, but Mike shared some pics earlier on FB and it looks like he stopped by the Drumeo HQ for some performances and what not. I'm guessing they'll talk a LOT about his return to DT, so I expect some interesting interview questions and answers whenever that video comes out!

-Marc.

Drumeo post some great stuff so I'll be keeping an eye out in the hope we get some sort of video collaboration. Be amazing if he did one of those first time listening things although hard to imagine Mike not having heard whatever they came up with!

Kinda sorta almost related side note: just got myself a keyboard. No, I can't play it. Got it just to use as a midi device for plugging into my DAW. Anyway, have been watching some Pianote videos and they're really good. It's part of the same group of companies as Drumeo. Lisa Witt is the instructor and I find her style and enthusiasm quite engaging.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1675 on: November 14, 2023, 02:16:05 AM »

I don't really think so. There was also the option for James to say "sure I'll say hi to be polite but not more", but they basically resumed their friendship and that must have been on James' initiative.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: November 14, 2023, 02:58:47 AM »

Besides the unfortunate outcome for MM, there's nothing negative about this whole situation.  I think all the wild speculation just adds to the excitement of the news. 

What sort of update are people expecting from them currently?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1677 on: November 15, 2023, 05:48:11 AM »
It's been 20 days since The Announcement, and - although we're basically in the dark about the whole deal - the deflagration's dust is settling, Emotions loosen their grip on the rudder they've borrowed from Reason, balls got a bit colder; it seems to me the perfect time to ask myself what MP's return really means to me, hoping to obtain a sincere and sensible answer.

The answer was, predictably enough, "a whole lot of things", each and every one of them thoroughly discussed in this thread, therefore my query became finding out which aspect of Portnoy's return meant the most to me. Running down the list, one particular aspect sprang to mind, one missing / not much discussed / I didn't catch in the fandom discourse, but one dearest to my heart.

The Return tells the world "we are finally at peace with each other", no more trouble brewing Beneath the Surface. Call me a sappy romantic, but I tend to consider people I admire and love since I began shaving as kind of mates; they gave me incredible times and emotions, have been part of my life longer than any human being, and I care for mates.

When the break-up occurred, what really crippled my feelings was realising a couple of brothers I loved from afar had come to a bitter end. We're not talking about your basic bandmates relationship here, we're talking "the solo I composed to honour my brother's father passing is more heartfelt than the solo I composed for mine" stuff.

I may be a sappy romantic, but no rotating setlist, cover album, surprise show, live antic, fan service, bootleg renaissance gets remotely close to the joy I'm feeling knowing people I deeply care for are back happy together - no matter if only for hypothetical mere financial reasons - and that's what I really want to celebrate.

A spirit is needed when you want it to carry on. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: November 15, 2023, 05:59:37 AM »
Good lord, Alex. That was so sticky sweet that my dental bridge (upper right) fell right out. Now I've got to go back to the dentist again.

As for the contents of your post. :hug:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1679 on: November 15, 2023, 06:05:29 AM »
Dammit Alessandro. Today was the day that I was meaning to write my thoughts down after a few weeks have passed.

To what you wrote, I hear what you're saying, but I've been getting the warmies as he's been reconciling with each member, culminating with James, over the last few years. I mean, who didn't get all sappy when the pic of Mike and Mike was posted? I sure as hell did.

So I was already there. Honestly, I didn't need MP to return to the band for me to feel happy about them feeling happy.