Author Topic: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 33193 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 4 WINE PAIRING SCRAMBLE
« Reply #1050 on: November 20, 2023, 08:58:10 PM »
I almost sent Without Walls by IQ but figured someone else might grab them.

I was surprised to see the Beard. I assumed they were banned but I guess it is just the Neal era that is banned.

Well, full disclosure, I'm already familiar with both SB songs submitted.

Faizoff dm'd a question, and I don't think he'd have a problem with me sharing it:

I see on your banned list where you mention 'and associated works' not allowed. so I wanted to ask, what if associated artists was only involved for a short period or had some involvement and you want to submit from that associated act where the banned artist is no longer involved or has collaborated?

Eg say you banned Mike Portnoy (and associated artists) and Dream Theater wasn't listed in your banned list, since Portnoy is no longer in the band he's not associated, is the output of post Portnoy Dream Theater eligible for submission? I'm going way too hypothetical but I hope my question is coming across.

I said yes to his question, but I didn't know he had Spock's Beard in mind when he asked that. I am very much familiar with all eras of SB.
The banned list says "Neal Morse and associated projects" are banned, but in hindsight, I should have specified that Spock's Beard, regardless of what era, is banned. So because I neglected to specify that, and I already said yes to his question, I'll allow it this round. Just because I already know the song, doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna win. And regardless of how they score this round, Spock's Beard is banned next round.

I had a backup in case you rejected the post Neal Spock's beard. If you were already familiar with it, I wouldn't have minded re-submitting.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1051 on: November 20, 2023, 09:05:42 PM »
The GR is See My Commands - That's Tim.

That is a Godly guitar solo!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgSK1htv_w

The singer is hilarious!

This is like pure Trilogy era Malmsteen though, cool shit.

Oof. Hearing that kind of music paired with lyrics about Jesus and God is just weird. I'm not the biggest Power Metal guy anyway, but this was just all super cheese. I guess it was super swiss cheese since it was also holy and all.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth of Wall Street
« Reply #1052 on: November 20, 2023, 09:14:57 PM »
I almost sent Without Walls by IQ but figured someone else might grab them.

I was surprised to see the Beard. I assumed they were banned but I guess it is just the Neal era that is banned.

Well, full disclosure, I'm already familiar with both SB songs submitted.

Faizoff dm'd a question, and I don't think he'd have a problem with me sharing it:

I see on your banned list where you mention 'and associated works' not allowed. so I wanted to ask, what if associated artists was only involved for a short period or had some involvement and you want to submit from that associated act where the banned artist is no longer involved or has collaborated?

Eg say you banned Mike Portnoy (and associated artists) and Dream Theater wasn't listed in your banned list, since Portnoy is no longer in the band he's not associated, is the output of post Portnoy Dream Theater eligible for submission? I'm going way too hypothetical but I hope my question is coming across.

I said yes to his question, but I didn't know he had Spock's Beard in mind when he asked that. I am very much familiar with all eras of SB.
The banned list says "Neal Morse and associated projects" are banned, but in hindsight, I should have specified that Spock's Beard, regardless of what era, is banned. So because I neglected to specify that, and I already said yes to his question, I'll allow it this round. Just because I already know the song, doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna win. And regardless of how they score this round, Spock's Beard is banned next round.

I had a backup in case you rejected the post Neal Spock's beard. If you were already familiar with it, I wouldn't have minded re-submitting.

Well in that case then, send me the substitution

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: November 20, 2023, 09:20:56 PM »
The GR is See My Commands - That's Tim.

That is a Godly guitar solo!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgSK1htv_w

The singer is hilarious!

This is like pure Trilogy era Malmsteen though, cool shit.

Oof. Hearing that kind of music paired with lyrics about Jesus and God is just weird. I'm not the biggest Power Metal guy anyway, but this was just all super cheese. I guess it was super swiss cheese since it was also holy and all.

:lol  I didn't pay attention to the lyrics at all truthfully.  No doubt it was cheesy.  Wouldn't be something I'd hunt out and listen to a full album of but it was pleasant enough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: November 21, 2023, 10:32:37 AM »
First Impressions coming this evening. Faizoff’s gonna send me a substitution for his entries.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: November 21, 2023, 12:10:10 PM »
I guess it was super swiss cheese since it was also holy and all.

:lol

I thought cheese was the ultimate wine pairing.

You guys are killing my song! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1056 on: November 21, 2023, 05:15:46 PM »
Resent!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1057 on: November 21, 2023, 05:21:21 PM »
Me too! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: November 21, 2023, 08:15:34 PM »
faizoff: Iced Earth - Dante’s Inferno
Epic and heavy. Love the riffs and the choral vocals, especially in that last 3.5 minutes.

lonestar: Silent Memorial - Retrospective
Really like the flow of this one. Never loses momentum, or my interest.
The ending reminded me of Learning to Live.
Oh, and I noticed the James Bond riff at 13:44

ProfessorPeart: Beardfish - And the Stone Said; If I Could Speak
I really dig the retro vibe of this one. Great lead guitar.

Puppies: Moonsorrow - Jäästä syntynyt / Varjojen virta
I first listened to this while playing Skyrim…and it works very well as a soundtrack to that.

King: Southern Empire - White Shadows
For a nearly 20-minute song, this one flew by. Strong vocals and melodies, great riffs, and I love the saxophone.

Evermind: Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Man, this was a journey. Fantastic vocals. I gotta wonder why they didn’t just go all the way and make this a concept album

TAC: Theocracy - Mirror of Souls
I’ve heard Matt Smith on one of Neal Morse’s albums, and this is a far better representation of his abilities. Honestly, his voice reminds me of a more refined Chris Collins.

jingle.boy: Daydream XI - The Grand Disguise
Parts of this, especially in the first section, reminded me of A Nightmare to Remember. Love the energy and the riffs. The vocalist is definitely channeling Russell Allen.
(…Or is that actually Russell Allen?)

Lizzo: Soilwork - A Whisp of the Atlantic
I’ve heard a couple Soilwork albums, and I’m definitely familiar with former drummer Dirk Verbeuren. I never knew they did Epics. The drumming on this is fantastic.

HOF: Emperor Norton - Arrow
Love the instrumentation, especially the synth sounds. Not a fan of the vocals.

ariich: Caligula’s Horse - Graves
I liked parts of this. The lead guitar is great, the melodies are great, the djenty parts are…there. I think this’ll grow on me.

Stadler: Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean
I love me some 70’s prog. Really enjoyed this one.

Buddyhunter1: Elder - Lore
Yes, very good. Screw fade-outs, I wish this kept going.

Sacul: Fishmans - Long Season
Congrats on sending the longest (and quite possibly weirdest) song of the roulette. This song is a vibe, as the kids say. I liked the bits that sounded like music.

twosuitluke: Instant Boner - Perfect Sunday, Revisited
I really like the loose, jammy vibe of this one.

wolfking: An Abstract Illusion - Skeletons of Light
Ok wow.

romdrums: I.Q. - Fallout
I was wondering when this band was gonna show up. Very cinematic. Sounds old-school, but with modern production. Really liked this one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:38:11 PM by Metro »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: November 21, 2023, 08:31:49 PM »
Ok wow.

Ooohhh yeah!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 4 FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #1060 on: November 21, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »
I’ve heard a couple Soilwork albums, and I’m definitely with former drummer Dirk Verbeuren. I never knew they did Epics. The drumming on this is fantastic.

It's a new dimension to their sound in the past few years after David Andersson joined (tragically now RIP).  It's their longest song, but they do have a few other mini-epics recently as well. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1061 on: November 21, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »
Ok wow.

Ooohhh yeah!
I called it. This should be the round winner. :corn

I'll also accept my song as round winner. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1062 on: November 21, 2023, 08:44:37 PM »
I'll hold out hope that Ok Wow means something like, Okay, wow, um, yeah, so, hmmm.......no. One can hope. Never heard of the band. Guess I'll go find that when I'm done listening to this Jelusick record.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1063 on: November 21, 2023, 08:51:29 PM »
I'll hold out hope that Ok Wow means something like, Okay, wow, um, yeah, so, hmmm.......no. One can hope. Never heard of the band. Guess I'll go find that when I'm done listening to this Jelusick record.
If you are OK with harsh vocals, it's one of the best songs of the last 8 years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: November 21, 2023, 08:52:12 PM »
Evermind: Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Man, this was a journey. Fantastic vocals. I gotta wonder why they didn’t just go all the way and make this a concept album

Their previous record before that one was a concept album,  and their record after that also happened to be a concept album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: November 21, 2023, 08:52:48 PM »

I did think that too to be fair.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:16:43 PM by wolfking »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1066 on: November 21, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »
Super picky with harsh vocals. Can't explain why I like who I like or why. I have expanded my tolerance of them but it still tiny compared to a lot of you.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1067 on: November 21, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »
If you wish a 15 minute song kept going, I think that's a good sign. :corn I felt like that band would be right up your alley sound-wise. Not surprised you're digging the An Abstract Illusion song, either.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline HOF

« Reply #1068 on: November 21, 2023, 09:31:52 PM »
I hear you on the singer’s voice. It is quite weird/unusual. But I still find it enjoyable in this context at least.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1069 on: November 21, 2023, 09:43:38 PM »

I did think that too to be fair.  :lol

Almost through the whole track. Really not a fan of the harsh vocals here, but I fear I am wrong in my overall summation of 'Ok wow'.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: November 22, 2023, 03:00:43 AM »
I’ve heard a couple Soilwork albums, and I’m definitely with former drummer Dirk Verbeuren. I never knew they did Epics. The drumming on this is fantastic.

It's a new dimension to their sound in the past few years after David Andersson joined (tragically now RIP).  It's their longest song, but they do have a few other mini-epics recently as well.

I'm really eager to hear where the sound of the band goes from here after David's unfortunate passing.  I guess Bjorn has been as much as a focal point in the songwriting as much as David.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1071 on: November 22, 2023, 04:02:43 AM »
That whole Southern Empire album is fantastic. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1072 on: November 22, 2023, 05:12:27 AM »
That whole Southern Empire album is fantastic.

Can confirm
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1073 on: November 22, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
Sacul: Fishmans - Long Season
Congrats on sending the longest (and quite possibly weirdest) song of the roulette. This song is a vibe, as the kids say. I liked the bits that sounded like music.
It all sounds like music, good music :neverusethis:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1074 on: November 22, 2023, 07:40:01 AM »

I'm really eager to hear where the sound of the band goes from here after David's unfortunate passing.  I guess Bjorn has been as much as a focal point in the songwriting as much as David.

They've had one of the more fascinating journeys that a band can have in metal at this point.  For someone to be teleported from '00 shortly after The Chainheart Machine was released and have them hear some of the stuff on the last few albums would be quite a shock I'm sure.  I think the last decade in particular had been Speed and David's side project of The Night Flight Orchestra starting to bleed heavily into Soilwork's sound, and also dabbling increasingly in proggier directions than they ever had.  Sven and Sylvain have done a small bit of songwriting in the past, so I wonder if they'll have to step it up some now, or does it start becoming "Speed and friends".  It'll be fascinating however it turns out. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: November 22, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »

They've had one of the more fascinating journeys that a band can have in metal at this point.  For someone to be teleported from '00 shortly after The Chainheart Machine was released and have them hear some of the stuff on the last few albums would be quite a shock I'm sure.  I think the last decade in particular had been Speed and David's side project of The Night Flight Orchestra starting to bleed heavily into Soilwork's sound, and also dabbling increasingly in proggier directions than they ever had.  Sven and Sylvain have done a small bit of songwriting in the past, so I wonder if they'll have to step it up some now, or does it start becoming "Speed and friends".  It'll be fascinating however it turns out.

I've thought this all along truthfully.  I mean, it was always bound to happen but still the new one especially, while great, is pretty soft.  I'd like to see Slyvain really step up now and try and fill some of that songwriting aspect.  The guitar aspect is not a problem, I mean, he's been getting fuck all solos anyway and has a great style but I too don't want to see Soilwork become a Bjorn solo type of band.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1076 on: November 22, 2023, 05:06:03 PM »
It's kind of the Opeth problem all over again, in a different form.  Part of me finds the cross-influence intriguing, another part of me likes keeping each different project more focused on their own particular vibe. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: November 22, 2023, 05:12:10 PM »
Even though the crossover is pretty easy to see and hear, in their defence I think Soilwork have done a pretty fine job keeping them as separate as they have.  I'm just a bit over critical I think because I like the old shit so much.  Saying that, Ride Majestic fights it out with Chainheart as my fav album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1078 on: November 22, 2023, 07:05:29 PM »
Their last album had the most overlap yet, and I'm still on the fence about that it.  I probably just haven't spent enough time with it, so I'll have a better feeling for it down the road a bit.  But the song I sent from the prior EP for me has the best balance they've achieved so far.  The Living Infinite and A Predator's Portrait are their two peaks for me. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: November 22, 2023, 07:11:28 PM »
Their last album had the most overlap yet, and I'm still on the fence about that it.  I probably just haven't spent enough time with it, so I'll have a better feeling for it down the road a bit.  But the song I sent from the prior EP for me has the best balance they've achieved so far.  The Living Infinite and A Predator's Portrait are their two peaks for me.

AWOTA could be top 5 in their whole catalog.  The other three songs fucking rip.

When I first listened to the new one, I really didn't like it, I thought too the crossover was too great.  I felt it lack memorable melodies and hooks though.  It really grew on me though over time.

Funny, I see so much love for TLI, that's one I'm just meh about.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: November 23, 2023, 09:47:34 AM »
Out of curiosity Luke, if you could send King Gizz in this roulette, what would you send that fits the criteria?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: November 23, 2023, 09:56:56 AM »
Out of curiosity Luke, if you could send King Gizz in this roulette, what would you send that fits the criteria?

Probably the vomit after the meal..literally.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1082 on: November 23, 2023, 10:01:32 AM »
Have a servant taste Luke's main course first, he may have slipped something into it...

Though with the quantity of food this round, regurgitation may be the only possible outcome anyway. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1083 on: November 23, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »

Main Course - The Dripping Tap (what better main course than water).

Wine Pairing - Vegemite (which you could make a delicious drink with, from your dripping tap)

Probably the vomit after the meal..literally.

An Australian delicacy, surely.

Have a servant taste Luke's main course first, he may have slipped something into it...

Though with the quantity of food this round, regurgitation may be the only possible outcome anyway. 

Shut up, you wolfed it down and begged for seconds.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: November 23, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
Hold up......this Lizard group is Australian?