Author Topic: How Many More Albums Do DT Have Left?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Skeever

How Many More Albums Do DT Have Left?
« on: October 19, 2023, 01:48:34 PM »
I'm thinking this lineup specifically has at least 1 more album, but maybe as many as 3 albums.
Then, I could still see many more on the horizon.

While there may be some "retirements", I tend to think that DT could become a lot more active in the near future. Especially when you consider that people's kids are "older" and out on their own. It could be that the guys get a "second wind" of sorts.

Also, I think JP will never stop and so DT will just keep going as long as he wants to do it.

Offline Trav86

Re: How Many More Albums Do DT Have Left?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 01:55:05 PM »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 02:05:20 PM »
I can imagine the band going for another 5 albums, but I would expect there would probably be some band member changes that would happen if that were the case. But I can see JP pushing to continue on.

As for how many this particular lineup still has left, I think 3 is a reasonable number. Then again, if they did what I hoped they would, and utilize DTHQ to the fullest (not just limiting themselves to writing 60-80 minutes of music at a time), I could see them writing and recording a lot more material and continuing to release albums even after the band retires or at least with this lineup.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 02:23:53 PM »
I can't even speculate. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »
Also, I think JP will never stop and so DT will just keep going as long as he wants to do it.

This is it. I can't imagine DT breaking up and retiring because John Myung has a change of heart and decides he doesn't want to do DT anymore (I pick him because he's the last founding member left).

We're seeing it with other bands getting up there with age now. It's a way of life, it's what they've been doing all their life and until there's a demand they can't or won't stop. Also, nobody wants to be the one who kills a band. I can't imagine James, John or Jordan going to Petrucci and saying "look, I'm old, I'm done, so I guess.... we split up? we end DT?". They would urge John to continue.

As for this specific line-up? I guess they can still go as long as they want. Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't see yet the comment "Jordan is getting up there with age". The man lives and breathes music, he will go on until he's physically well. I'll bet you that it's Myung or Mangini who go first before Jordan decides he's had enough. Not that I'm thinking they're actually about to quit sometime soon, more a general feeling - if a guy goes first, it won't be Jordan (assuming the next departure will be a free decision from someone and not, gods forbid, a forced retirement because of a major health issue or concern).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 03:28:58 PM »

Five more albums at least.

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 04:01:20 PM »
The year is 3023. A 1,056-year-old John Petrucci has just put the finishing touches on Dream Theater’s 700th masterpiece, Metropolis Pt. 84. All other humans have long gone underground to escape the AI robot apocalypse, but JP is built different and the robots know not to mess with him. A fierce debate rages on the DT forum about whether Metropolis pt. 84 or pt. 36 is truly DT’s finest moment. The forum is divided into three camps: those who favor Pt. 84, those who favor Pt. 36, and those who just wonder if Mike Portnoy will ever return to the band.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 04:47:02 PM »
The year is 3023. A 1,056-year-old John Petrucci has just put the finishing touches on Dream Theater’s 700th masterpiece, Metropolis Pt. 84. All other humans have long gone underground to escape the AI robot apocalypse, but JP is built different and the robots know not to mess with him. A fierce debate rages on the DT forum about whether Metropolis pt. 84 or pt. 36 is truly DT’s finest moment. The forum is divided into three camps: those who favor Pt. 84, those who favor Pt. 36, and those who just wonder if Mike Portnoy will ever return to the band.

But did MP finally buy a house in Seattle?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 05:26:41 PM »

But did MP finally buy a house in Seattle?

-Marc.

If Mike Portnoy buys the Laura Palmer House there are at least six more tour album cycles but if not the band will break up early.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 04:41:12 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 04:42:20 AM »
Seriously though, would all depends on James I guess.  I don't see why they couldn't get 3 or 4 more.  Even more if they were to ever cut back on touring for James.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 07:52:59 AM »
maybe if James can't tour anymore, he could still be the vocalist in studio, and have a vocalist from Ayreon perform live? None of those singers missed notes live, which would stop that endless debate as well.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 10:59:04 AM »
^^ That's an idea and perhaps the touring singer can sing those songs well live, but for many people, they would just have that "It's not the same!" feeling if JLB is not there.  I'm just amazed on how something like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra operates where they have two touring bands traveling around the states for their Winter tours and have their vocalists pull all their songs fantastically live and why you can't have something like that work in a band like DT or other bands.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
I have zero interest in hearing a 70-year-old Labrie attempt singing so 3 is the max I would want and I'd be thrilled with 2.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 02:07:22 PM »

Does anyone think DT would continue to release albums even if they decided not to tour anymore? If that was the case we could presumably get new music for many, many years to come.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 02:49:31 PM »
I have zero interest in hearing a 70-year-old Labrie attempt singing so 3 is the max I would want and I'd be thrilled with 2.

This. I’d rather he retire and enjoy his golden years than he go out and struggle. Struggle more.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 03:19:44 PM »
maybe if James can't tour anymore, he could still be the vocalist in studio, and have a vocalist from Ayreon perform live? None of those singers missed notes live, which would stop that endless debate as well.
I disagree - I think there would be even more debate. And I would imagine that the other guys in the band might look at it kinda the same way they did when MP suggested they get an interim drummer so that he could take a break while they completed one album-tour cycle without him. It wouldn't be the same as "the real thing". So if JL were to drop off live, then he'd probably have to retire from the band completely and they'd have to get someone else for both studio and live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 03:36:32 PM »
As cool and monumental as it might be to see them hit their 20th studio album, I could see them calling it a day after two more albums, or maybe even one more honestly. If they write and record next year, and then tour into 2025, that'll be their 40th Anniversary, which is the perfect time for another retrospective tour to close out their career. If they're feeling like they could do one more after that, probably releasing in 2027 and then tour on that for a year or two, they could maaaaaaybe make it to 2030 for their 45th Anniversary, but by then, I doubt James will be in touring condition for most of their material. He'll be 67 by that point and if he's been having trouble now in his late 50s into early 60s, it'll probably not get much better. I know JP could probably write, record, and tour until he can no longer play, and I'm sure he will do that beyond DT's end, but I think the band would be best served to bow out gracefully and know when it hang it up.

TL;DR - Worst case scenario, they do one more EPIC album and tour, then do a 40th Anniversary Tour to call it a day in 2025. BEST case scenario, they do two or three more albums and go until 2030, but I doubt they'll last beyond that in their current line-up.

As for Jordan and JP, I could see them wanting to do more LTE after their contractually obligated fourth album. I wouldn't mind a couple more of those albums between now and 2030, and let's see an LTE Tour somewhere in the next few years too!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 01:53:09 AM »
I can't imagine there will be changes in the line-up in this day and age. They're so long together now, I'll think these five will eventually close the book. And that's beautiful to me. But I do hope there will be some more chapters to come, at least one or two studio records.

But they're not getting any younger, nor are their wives and it is more than likely, one will be injured or worse, in the years to come. I hope that when they can't tour anymore, they still use DTHQ for some majesty work of art.

Most of all, I hope their last album will be announced as the last one. So we're not hoping, praying and longing for more, when all their minds have settled to stop.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 10:52:56 AM »
^^ That's an idea and perhaps the touring singer can sing those songs well live, but for many people, they would just have that "It's not the same!" feeling if JLB is not there.  I'm just amazed on how something like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra operates where they have two touring bands traveling around the states for their Winter tours and have their vocalists pull all their songs fantastically live and why you can't have something like that work in a band like DT or other bands.

Because TSO is, if not a literal orchestra, an ensemble that plays seasonal music and has not done a new album in ages. They're not a band of a fixed number of musicians that puts out album. They can get away with having "anyone" singing Xmas songs; DT or any other "normal" band can't really go on your with a random, younger singer just because.

Judas Priest have a new album coming out next year. Of course Rob Halford is singing. Can you imagine him sitting out for the tour and Ripper singing at the shows instead? ok I'm sure some people would like it but no, it's a very weird situation for a regular band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2023, 11:02:48 AM »
I'll say two with a tour for each and then a farewell tour/festival with two drum kits and MP/MM play "their" songs throughout the set and possibly more special guests along the way.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »
a farewell tour/festival with two drum kits and MP/MM play "their" songs throughout the set and possibly more special guests along the way.

Love this idea.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »
James Labrie replaced with James LaBr-AI, robot singer and impersonator of any licensed voice.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 05:00:18 PM »
James Labrie replaced with James LaBr-AI, robot singer and impersonator of any licensed voice.  :lol

Could Labr-AI hit the F#?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 05:13:44 PM »
Going a bit on a tangent here, but not all genre of music have the same longevity. The Stones can get away with being old guys on stage, due also to their legendary status. Bruce Springsteen can get away with slowing down all the songs. Other old bands play shorter sets and it's considered acceptable.

But DT? can you imagine them playing 90 minutes set with all the songs slowed down? they're backed into a corner by their own music style, there's not much wiggle room to work around whatever "old age" (for a musician I mean) will throw at them. And shorter sets would mean either getting rid of all long songs, or playing a 7 songs set. Bruce Springsteen can still play Born to Run and play it slow with the audience enjoying it anyway - I can't imagine Dream Theater playing Metropolis noticeable slower so that they can get the solo right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2023, 07:24:04 PM »
Going a bit on a tangent here, but not all genre of music have the same longevity. The Stones can get away with being old guys on stage, due also to their legendary status. Bruce Springsteen can get away with slowing down all the songs. Other old bands play shorter sets and it's considered acceptable.

But DT? can you imagine them playing 90 minutes set with all the songs slowed down? they're backed into a corner by their own music style, there's not much wiggle room to work around whatever "old age" (for a musician I mean) will throw at them. And shorter sets would mean either getting rid of all long songs, or playing a 7 songs set. Bruce Springsteen can still play Born to Run and play it slow with the audience enjoying it anyway - I can't imagine Dream Theater playing Metropolis noticeable slower so that they can get the solo right.

The last thing I'd want to see DT become is what Yes has become in the past decade or so. Their tempos have slowed down and it just seems like they're only playing the hits or full classic albums and not much else.

I'm sure there's a sect of DT fans who wouldn't mind tours where they just play all of SFAM and encore with an epic, but that's probably what would happen.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 08:31:11 PM by The Letter M »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2023, 07:24:56 PM »
I'll be done attending their shows when it comes to that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2023, 05:14:35 AM »

Same.  And I also don’t think I would go if they decides to get another singer like many people have brought up. I don’t want James to keep doing this if he isn’t happy, but I would rather go see DT with a less-than-perfect James, than DT with someone else.
Can't we find the minds

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »

Same.  And I also don’t think I would go if they decides to get another singer like many people have brought up. I don’t want James to keep doing this if he isn’t happy, but I would rather go see DT with a less-than-perfect James, than DT with someone else.

Agree 100% in this. But I really think the guys see it the same way. They choose to keep LaBrie even after his voice injury caused so much worries, can't believe they'll replace him now.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »
1 definitely, 2 possibly. I am judging them solely on studio albums at this point, which I feel are still solid enough to warrant continued activity. I wish they could do some sort of more frequent album release with an abbreviated tour schedule, but I get that isn't how things work now.

I've thought a lot about recording with James and touring with someone else. As someone who cares a million times more about recordings that concerts, there is an appeal, but I appreciate it wouldn't work for this band in 2023. It's not like The Beach Boys touring without Brian so he can work on writing and working in the studio.

I have zero interest in any sort of "let's get everyone together for our last tour" tour.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »
There's a band here in the UK called Magnum who have been going since 1978. They've just announced their 23rd album. Front man Bob Catley is 76, as is guitarist and lead songwriter Tony Clarkin. So it's very possible we've got another 20 years (or more!) left. You just never know :D

But DT? can you imagine them playing 90 minutes set

Like they did on the latest tour?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 02:05:14 PM by Pebsie »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
It's hard to say because the band doesn't really comment on their longevity. This last tour was the first time I've noticed their age on stage, but even then it was just that they look physically older, not that they were slowing down or something. They pretty much just stand there playing on stage, so their live shows being pretty much entirely focused on the music with heavy visual aids in screens/etc gives them quite a bit of room to continue into old age IMO, maybe with scaled-back touring. But I don't see any reason why they can't continue to the extent that a band like Yes has. They haven't slowed down their playing yet and it seems like they do a decent job keeping themselves in shape.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2023, 12:55:17 PM »
Without any changes in line up I would say two albums is the max.
Petrucci and Myung are way too young to retire by then but Rudess will be 70 and then there's the issue of Labrie's aging voice.
Might be a great opportunity for the John's to release some music with an old friend on drums.

At this point I hope they release one more album that's come close to Peak DT for me as the last five albums didn't do much for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2023, 01:48:47 PM »
Might be a great opportunity for the John's to release some music with an old friend on drums.

You mean like he just did for LTE and his solo album? ::)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."