Author Topic: Runrig / Bruce Guthro  (Read 570 times)

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
Runrig / Bruce Guthro
« on: October 14, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »
I recently had the pleasure of travelling to Scotland Highlands during the last two weeks of September (fantastic country, fantastic people, fantastic food, fantastic beverages) and put together a playlist of my favorite Knopfler songs (born in Glasgow) having to do with Scotland and a few other scottish/gaelic artists to play along the way.  While I was there I started listening to Runrig based on a friend's recommendation, unaware at the time that their second lead singer, Bruce Guthro, had recently died at the beginning of the month.

As a fan of folk-traditional music (see avatar), Knopfler/Straits, Van Morrison, Bert Jansch, early to mid-70s Springsteen/E-Street, I started diving deep into the catalog, and am blown away by the breadth and style of songs, and the heart and emotion in the lyrics and music.  I stayed at some of the remote beautiful mountain bothies for about half of the trip, and would jam out Runrig at sunset while enjoying the landscape with a dark beer and or shooter of scotch.

Curious here if anyone has had the luck to see them live or have any other opinions on them.