Author Topic: SPOTIFY: [Band/Artist] Top 10 Songs Thoughts  (Read 573 times)

Online SoundscapeMN

SPOTIFY: [Band/Artist] Top 10 Songs Thoughts
« on: October 14, 2023, 12:31:34 PM »
Unsure if this might be something around here others might enjoy, but when looking up bands/artists on Spotify of course,
Spotify has their Top 10 Songs, which I don't believe is fully based on Total Streams/Plays, but if so, there may be more to it than just pure QUANTITY.

That being the case, I find it interesting to see what songs are in the Top 10 of many bands/artists on Spotify. I know some of the results are purely based on what is actually on Spotify to play (and the fact a lot of songs/albums are not on Spotify). But at least a large percentage are.

So I thought it might be interesting and fun to look at the top 10 songs from many bands/artists on Spotify and give your thoughts, criticisms, surprises, etc.

So I thought I would 1st look at my favorite band, Marillion
(and mind you, anyone can give their own thoughts on a band/artist who was previously posted of course. I.e...if anyone else wants to chime in about the Top 10 Marillion songs as well, that would be cool).

Also the Top 10 Songs can-and-will-change of course, per I may want to look at the Marillion list like 6 months or a year from now and see if there's a difference, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7ai5TWiOG8g9Hds5AATS28

Marillion
1. Kayleigh - 2017 Remaster
2. Beautiful
3. Kayleigh - Single Edit
4. Lavender
5. No One Can - 1998 Remaster
6. Pseudo Silk Kimono - 2017 Remaster
7. Lavender - 2017 Remaster
8. Cover My Eyes (Pain and Heaven) - 1998 Remaster
9. Easter - 1997 Remaster
10. Childhood's End? - 2017 Remaster

I find the fact Kayleigh is on there twice is both not surprising and eye-rolling. Per, people have such short attention spans, especially when checking out new music. Even if they are into progressive rock.

Pseudo Silk Kimono being on there also is kind of baffling but supports the thought people listen to Misplaced Childhood and then don't make it very far which again is nauseating but not surprising.

On the flip side, the fact Childhood's End? is on there, supports that at least a percentage of those people are checking out the whole album. And/or maybe people love that track as I do and is among my favorites (I don't think it quite made my top 10, but it was up there, from memory).

Beauiful is fine. Not bad to see at #2

No One Can?..so typical..blech, but whatever. Marillion doesn't necessarily need Short attention-span pop music listeners.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 01:31:12 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Online HOF

Re: SPOTIFY: [Band/Artist] Top 10 Songs Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 01:07:51 PM »
I bet Spotify has a curated Marillion playlist that features most of those songs. Casuals probably pull it up from time to time, or maybe just because those are on the shorter side for some of their songs they get more total plays.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 05:28:21 PM »
I can only see top 5 songs per artist, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm on the mobile app.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 06:08:28 PM »
I can only see top 5 songs per artist, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm on the mobile app.

Yeah, on desktop you can expand that list.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 08:36:04 AM »
Unsure if this might be something around here others might enjoy, but when looking up bands/artists on Spotify of course,
Spotify has their Top 10 Songs, which I don't believe is fully based on Total Streams/Plays, but if so, there may be more to it than just pure QUANTITY.

That being the case, I find it interesting to see what songs are in the Top 10 of many bands/artists on Spotify. I know some of the results are purely based on what is actually on Spotify to play (and the fact a lot of songs/albums are not on Spotify). But at least a large percentage are.

So I thought it might be interesting and fun to look at the top 10 songs from many bands/artists on Spotify and give your thoughts, criticisms, surprises, etc.

So I thought I would 1st look at my favorite band, Marillion
(and mind you, anyone can give their own thoughts on a band/artist who was previously posted of course. I.e...if anyone else wants to chime in about the Top 10 Marillion songs as well, that would be cool).

Also the Top 10 Songs can-and-will-change of course, per I may want to look at the Marillion list like 6 months or a year from now and see if there's a difference, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7ai5TWiOG8g9Hds5AATS28

Marillion
1. Kayleigh - 2017 Remaster
2. Beautiful
3. Kayleigh - Single Edit
4. Lavender
5. No One Can - 1998 Remaster
6. Pseudo Silk Kimono - 2017 Remaster
7. Lavender - 2017 Remaster
8. Cover My Eyes (Pain and Heaven) - 1998 Remaster
9. Easter - 1997 Remaster
10. Childhood's End? - 2017 Remaster

I find the fact Kayleigh is on there twice is both not surprising and eye-rolling. Per, people have such short attention spans, especially when checking out new music. Even if they are into progressive rock.

Pseudo Silk Kimono being on there also is kind of baffling but supports the thought people listen to Misplaced Childhood and then don't make it very far which again is nauseating but not surprising.

On the flip side, the fact Childhood's End? is on there, supports that at least a percentage of those people are checking out the whole album. And/or maybe people love that track as I do and is among my favorites (I don't think it quite made my top 10, but it was up there, from memory).

Beauiful is fine. Not bad to see at #2

No One Can?..so typical..blech, but whatever. Marillion doesn't necessarily need Short attention-span pop music listeners.

You and I generally see eye-to-eye on this stuff, but I'm not sure that's ENTIRELY fair.  I mean, if I go to get into, say, Zebra or Vandenburg, am I going to start with an obscure album track, or their hit?   Or maybe I'm like "remember that band Zebra? What was that song on MTV?  Oh yeah!"   I mean, like it or not, Kayleigh is their hit.  You and I know they are not a singles band, but I don't know that the average person seeking them out would know (or care) about that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 09:12:52 AM »
I actually bought the 45 for Kayleigh back in the day. Still have it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol