Author Topic: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (the final list)  (Read 54130 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#09 up!)
« Reply #1575 on: November 22, 2023, 12:47:32 PM »
you were the one who said i didn't care for them which isn't true, though. i never said that. i can like something, yet find it overrated. in any event i also said it makes sense that they appear on this list and wasn't trying to stir up anything
I didn't say that you didn't care for them.

i don't really think a "the most influential band ever" statement is even something you could objectively qualify (we're certainly welcome to subjectively think these things) but even if i agreed they were the most influential band of all time, that is not really related to whether or not they're overrated in my view.
I don't have to objectively qualify.  I've just heard the overwhelming number of bands and other artists who have cited the Beatles' influence.

And of course it's related.  If they (or anyone else, doesn't matter who) is the most influential, then how could they be overrated?

as far as who i think is the most influential, i would be more inclined to talk about people like Link Wray, or Bob Dylan (to name a few from different areas - guitar influence and songwriting influence) than i would the Beatles. but even so i would say the stones had more influence, especially in an immediate sense. you can hear stones influence like crazy in people like david bowie and a lot of other british artists of the late 60s. you can even hear their influence on the beatles themselves! :lol
I just don't see any of those people being more influential to bands (which is what we are talking about) as the Beatles were. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1576 on: November 22, 2023, 12:53:01 PM »
I missed your post back then, thank you HOF.

Edit: Made a Spotify playlist based on your post: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/16QQ62g5DABPFwu5cR9wh9?si=f0d77078b0704e29

:tup

Just a heads up, don’t let the stuff from those early albums dissuade you. They started as a small label act and then an Indy hobby band before they hit on a new lineup for The Underfall Yard in 2009 and the quality of the playing and production took a huge leap up.

Thanks, if you were to recommend 3 songs, which ones would you pick?

Victorian Brickwork, East Coast Racer (original album version from English Electric), and Snowfalls.

Marc, I never heard of Big Big Train until this countdown. Can you give me a small sample of songs to listen to or send a small spotify playlist? Being number 1 on your list is intriguing enough.

HOF pretty much covered it. If you're looking for a starting point, I'd highly suggest their first three albums with David Longdon - The Underfall Yard, and English Electric Parts 1 & 2 (though the Full Power compilation of those two is my personal pick, which includes four songs from the follow-up Make Some Noise EP to make an extremely satisfying double album). As far individual songs, their music ranges from lush and beautiful arrangements in sprawling epics to soft and gentle acoustic numbers, and everything in between. If you're looking for epics, check out this year's compilation album Ingenious Devices. There's also the 2CD compilation album from 2020, titled Summer's Lease, which covers their material from 2009 to 2019.

Hopefully you find something you like, and if you enjoy your journey discovering BBT, join us in the BBT Thread here!

-Marc.

Thanks guys! If I find time I will sneak some listens in!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #1577 on: November 22, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
I hate the Beatles! So boring! Overrated as Heck!

But good list so, Dream Theater Forumers. I am look forward to discovering many new bands to me.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1578 on: November 22, 2023, 01:11:34 PM »
But even then... The White Album was largely written in India in early '68 (February, March) and demo'd at George's house in May (by the way, anyone looking for the roots of the Beatles, get the "Escher Demos" from the deluxe White Album package from a year or so ago; it's on the 3CD set version as well as the super-mega-6CD version).

It might have been somewhat contemporaneous, but clearly the impetus to get back to roots was in The Beatles camp first. 

There's a great story about Mick being so jazzed at their new work, that he threw a huge party after the recording of Beggar's Banquet was done, in August of '68 and McCartney showed up with an acetate of their new single, "Hey Jude" and ruined the mood of everyone in the Stones' camp.   :)

Isn't Helter Skelter a Macca tune knowingly written to compete with some of the edgier music the Stones had been making?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1579 on: November 22, 2023, 01:12:20 PM »
They didn't make my list, but they absolutely deserve to be here.  I remember reading a comment about their impact to music was that they basically created the genre of rock and roll.  Hard to argue that.  Without a doubt, they were pioneers, and had the greatest impact of any band in the history of rock, perhaps in the history of music in general.

I think that seals our collective assessment of the top ten, the Beatles was the only one I was iffy on.

« Reply #1580 on: November 22, 2023, 01:14:11 PM »
you were the one who said i didn't care for them which isn't true, though. i never said that. i can like something, yet find it overrated. in any event i also said it makes sense that they appear on this list and wasn't trying to stir up anything

i guess i am confused as to what you meant by this then lol
You not caring for them =/= "they are overrated"
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1581 on: November 22, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »
They didn't make my list, but they absolutely deserve to be here.  I remember reading a comment about their impact to music was that they basically created the genre of rock and roll.  Hard to argue that.  Without a doubt, they were pioneers, and had the greatest impact of any band in the history of rock, perhaps in the history of music in general.

I had no idea Chuck Berry was a Beatle

« Reply #1582 on: November 22, 2023, 01:26:29 PM »
Chuck Berry is another great example of towering, enduring legacy/influence.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1583 on: November 22, 2023, 01:32:46 PM »
More catching up, and 2/4 with these four.

Fates Warning had no chance of making my list, although I do really like Theories of Flight. I honestly wouldn't have considered them for a DTF Top 25, as they are not hugely on my radar.

Haken just missed out on my top 25 and are easily up there as one of the top 10 bands I've discovered in the last 10 years. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their first 4 albums but for me they fell off a bit after Affinity. Fauna is a bit more to my tastes but nowhere near the highs of the first 4. Incredible band and I don't personally have any problem with Jennings.

Led Zeppelin I had at #22. Some of my earliest musical memories are listening to Led Zeppelin. I know I've told this story before but my Dad was a huge Led Zeppelin fan and had all their records (which I have inherited from him). Back in the early 90s, I used to sometimes spend evenings drawing at the dining room table with my older brother (he was 8 years older). He was a huge influence on me and exposed me to thrash/death/heavy metal at a young age. I couldn't care less about the music back then but he had an Atari ST, and later a SNES, so playing computer games with him meant listening to his music. Anyway, there was a period where I remember he used to listen to The Black Album on repeat as well as Led Zeppelin I. I didn't know anything about Led Zep then, and didn't even realise they were one of my Dad's favourites, I assumed they were a new band my brother liked. So we'd sit at the kitchen table drawing pictures of Warhammer characters, or sometimes paint the miniatures. For a time he would just spin side 1 of Led Zeppelin I, on my Dad's old record player, on repeat. Man, those songs really seeped into the fibre of my being. To this day Led Zeppelin I is my favourite of theirs and an album I hold dear. That run of Good Times, Bad Times > Babe I'm Gonna Leave You > You Shook Me > Dazed and Confused is legendary as far as I'm concerned and the most incredible start to a career that any band I listen to has. We'd just listen to those 4 songs over and over and over. Later in life, when I started to actually get into music myself I found my way back to the band, raided my Dad's collection (he had all the albums on CD by then) and just fully fell for the band. In some ways they are the band I've got the most history with. Even though #22 could be considered fairly low, I absolutely adore this band.

Lastly is The Beatles. The Beatles to me are synonymous with my Dad, and my Dad with The Beatles. They were his favourite band and one that he would play on all occasions. He used to joke that when my siblings and I were old enough to have kids he would buy his grandkids Beatles albums on their 1st birthday.  He bloody did as well! His reasoning was that EVERYONE loved The Beatles, or would fall fast in love with them. He'd always try to explain Beatlemania to us, whilst also knowing that we'd never truly be able to fathom it, unless we'd lived through it. He would tell the story of his best mate Gary, who went on holiday abroad somewhere, just before the release of Revolver. Gary arrived back in the country and my Dad was out on the street as their car pulled up. His arm came up out the car door first, holding aloft a record, shouting "LOOK WHAT I'VE GOT!!". It was of course a copy of Revolver, he'd managed to get before release is the UK. They excitedly ran into his house to play it. Those album releases were just life changing events for his generation.

As a young kid my Dad always seemed stressed and angry (he was working flat out to support a big family) but whenever we went on long car journeys he would bust out his many Beatles mix tapes. Those were the times I remember him truly happy, and my younger brother and sister would be singing along to every word. As we grew up he mellowed out and went back to his 'summer of love' roots. His love for life resurfaced and that was always expressed through music, dancing and singing, for the most part. Once CDs became the most common form of music media, my Dad decided he would not buy any of The Beatles albums on CD and asked we get them for him on his birthday/Christmas. He held to that for years and slowly we ended up getting him all the albums. He would unwrap those CDs with the pure excitement of a child, and play them like it was the first time he'd ever heard them.

My love for them has just been a constant in my life and the magic of the band has underpinned everything I love about music my whole life (and continues to do so). A high proportion of my all time favourite songs are songs I can sing along to. That comes from The Beatles, I mean how can you not sing along to these songs?

I had them at #18, which looking at it now seems criminally low. How is it possible that these four Liverpudlians churned out songs that are considered world wide, to be pop/rock perfection? Fucked if I know, but I'm glad I am around to hear them.

NR:
Miles Davis
Symphony X
Agalloch
King Crimson
Scorpions
Frank Zappa
Evergrey
UFO
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Nightwish
Katatonia
Helloween
Between the Buried and Me
Anathema
Radiohead
Big Big Train
Peter Gabriel
Riverside
KISS
Ayreon
Spock's Beard
Neal Morse
Pain of Salvation
Queen
Tool
Black Sabbath
Transatlantic
Marillion
Yes
Van Halen
Steven Wilson
Fates Warning
Haken

25. Avenged Sevenfold (Favourite Album: City of Evil. Favourite Song: Cosmic)
23. Devin Townsend (Favourite Album: Really hard to pick, but today I'll say Terria. Favourite Song: Kingdom or Deep Peace)
22. Led Zeppelin (Favourite Album: Led Zeppelin I. Favourite Song: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You)
18. The Beatles (Favourite Album: Abbey Road. Favourite Song: Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End)
11. The Dear Hunter (Favourite Album: Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise. Favourite Song: Home/A Night on the Town)
9. Megadeth (Favourite Album: Rust in Peace. Favourite Song: Washington is Next!)
8. Mastodon (Favourite Album: Blood Mountain. Favourite Song: Too many to choose, but currently Gigantium)
6. Opeth (Favourite Album: Ghost Reveries. Favourite Song: )
1. Coheed and Cambria (Favourite Album: Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. Favourite Song: Willing Well Suite)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1584 on: November 22, 2023, 01:40:02 PM »
The Beatles are fine I guess.

« Reply #1585 on: November 22, 2023, 01:44:39 PM »
i find the beatles a bit overrated and didn't put them on my list but it's not a surprise they'd wind up on any large group of people's favorites, they're just that big!

i would disagree that they're the most influential band. i'd say you could even make an argument the rolling stones are more influential (tho i don't even think the stones are the most influential)

as someone who actually does like their music (tho not enough to rank them in this list) i don't think it's fair to say that because I don't care for them means i think they're overrated. i actually like them, lol.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

? why is what i wrote so confusing lol.

to make it as painfully clear as i can:

I like the Beatles. I think they're great. They don't personally make my list in this thread, but I also understand why they made the overall listing.

It's also entirely possible that I can have that belief and also think the band is overrated. Overrated just means that society at large holds them in higher regard than they are due (in your opinion). It would very easily follow that if I like or enjoy a band, but wouldn't say they are a "Top 25" band, that constantly seeing them near or at the top of a lot of lists like this would make them "overrated". Overrated is not a comment or remark on the quality of the music or how much one personally enjoys it. It's simply an observation of how (generally speaking) a group of people regard them in relation to your own regards. If i thought the Beatles were good enough to be in my top 10, then I would also obviously think they are properly rated. I'm so confused as to why this is not translating well
Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1586 on: November 22, 2023, 01:47:08 PM »

There is an understood "if"

Or at least, I understood it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #1587 on: November 22, 2023, 01:50:19 PM »

There is an understood "if"

Or at least, I understood it lol

:yeahright :millahhhh :hefdaddy
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1588 on: November 22, 2023, 01:52:52 PM »
But even then... The White Album was largely written in India in early '68 (February, March) and demo'd at George's house in May (by the way, anyone looking for the roots of the Beatles, get the "Escher Demos" from the deluxe White Album package from a year or so ago; it's on the 3CD set version as well as the super-mega-6CD version).

It might have been somewhat contemporaneous, but clearly the impetus to get back to roots was in The Beatles camp first. 

There's a great story about Mick being so jazzed at their new work, that he threw a huge party after the recording of Beggar's Banquet was done, in August of '68 and McCartney showed up with an acetate of their new single, "Hey Jude" and ruined the mood of everyone in the Stones' camp.   :)

Isn't Helter Skelter a Macca tune knowingly written to compete with some of the edgier music the Stones had been making?

The Who.    Townshend called "I Can See For Miles" the dirtiest, rawest song The Who had ever done, so Paul was bummed that it was a great idea but someone else had done it first. Then he heard the song and felt it didn't live up to the billing so he would REALLY show them what "dirty" and "raw" was. 

« Reply #1589 on: November 22, 2023, 01:53:36 PM »

The Who.    Townshend called "I Can See For Miles" the dirtiest, rawest song The Who had ever done, so Paul was bummed that it was a great idea but someone else had done it first. Then he heard the song and felt it didn't live up to the billing so he would REALLY show them what "dirty" and "raw" was. 

oooh you out-music-knowledged me. i could have sworn it was about a Stones song :lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: November 22, 2023, 02:02:45 PM »

I had no idea Chuck Berry was a Beatle

Not an unfair comment.  John Lennon IDOLIZED Chuck Berry, and I think would wholeheartedly agree with you.

(I don't know that for a fact, I never talked to him about it, but he was effusive in interviews about his love for Chuck Berry; and The Beatles covered I think 8 or 10 different Berry songs studio and live. And then there's this: https://www.facebook.com/MusicWorldGroup/videos/1700844050069851/)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: November 22, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »

oooh you out-music-knowledged me. i could have sworn it was about a Stones song :lol

Dude, I'm not very good at many things - most things; almost all things if you ask my wife (I kid! I kid!) - but I slay at Beatles trivia.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: November 22, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »
i find the beatles a bit overrated and didn't put them on my list but it's not a surprise they'd wind up on any large group of people's favorites, they're just that big!

i would disagree that they're the most influential band. i'd say you could even make an argument the rolling stones are more influential (tho i don't even think the stones are the most influential)

as someone who actually does like their music (tho not enough to rank them in this list) i don't think it's fair to say that because I don't care for them means i think they're overrated. i actually like them, lol.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

? why is what i wrote so confusing lol.

to make it as painfully clear as i can:

I like the Beatles. I think they're great. They don't personally make my list in this thread, but I also understand why they made the overall listing.

It's also entirely possible that I can have that belief and also think the band is overrated. Overrated just means that society at large holds them in higher regard than they are due (in your opinion). It would very easily follow that if I like or enjoy a band, but wouldn't say they are a "Top 25" band, that constantly seeing them near or at the top of a lot of lists like this would make them "overrated". Overrated is not a comment or remark on the quality of the music or how much one personally enjoys it. It's simply an observation of how (generally speaking) a group of people regard them in relation to your own regards. If i thought the Beatles were good enough to be in my top 10, then I would also obviously think they are properly rated. I'm so confused as to why this is not translating well

By that standard you're right; I know for me, I don't rate my opinion as meaning all that much to other people, so when I hear "overrated" I interpret it as "rated higher than they should be as compared to any reasonable objective standard". Not any easier a standard than anyone else's, but whatever.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1593 on: November 22, 2023, 02:10:09 PM »
Dude, I'm not very good at many things
False modesty does not become you, my friend.  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: November 22, 2023, 02:11:05 PM »
Dude, I'm not very good at many things
False modesty does not become you, my friend.  :)

I'm going to take that as a complement and run!!!  :) :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1595 on: November 22, 2023, 02:12:47 PM »
09. The Beatles

The Beatles were my gateway into rock/popular music.  When I was growing up, my sibling nearest in age was 11 1/2 years older.  By the time I was cognizant of things outside my own personal world, all of my siblings were out of the house.  My parents were significantly older (46 and almost 44 when I was born), so the most "current" music they liked was Frank Sinatra.  As a very young kid, I got some exposure to late '60s folk (Peter, Paul & Mary) and things like John Denver, but that was about it.  Meanwhile, my schoolmates with siblings who were only slightly older were decorating their Pee-Chees with the KISS and Led Zeppelin logos, and I just stood by not knowing what any of that was about.  After 8th grade graduation, my mother and I went and stayed for 3 weeks with my sister and her husband and two small kids in suburban Denver.  My "room" was their finished basement, where my sister kept her stereo system and albums.  I spent a good chunk of time down in the basement listening to my sister's Beatles albums with headphones.  I fell in love, and my birthday gift that year was a stereo with a turntable, a cassette recorder, and an 8-track player.  My first purchases were red and blue "greatest hits" albums.  I don't listen to the Beatles too much anymore, but I always enjoy when I do.  They made my list at #16.

1. LOCK
2. LOCK
3. Fates Warning (12) (I'll be very sad if they don't make the list.  I'm guessing if they aren't one of the next few picks we won't see them.)
4. LOCK
5. Yes (15) (LOCK)
6. Judas Priest (17) (Slightly better than 50/50)
7. Probably (75%+)
8. At this point, I think there's no chance.
9. See #8
10. No way, eh?
11. Probably 90%+
12. LOCK
13. Helloween (38)
14. UFO (42)
15. Led Zeppelin (10) (I think they're probably a lock, but 17 or higher seems surprising to me)
16. The Beatles (9) (LOCK)
17. At this point, I'm going to say no better than a 20% chance - surprisingly underrated around here
18. See #17
19. Black Sabbath (20)
20. Not a chance
21. I'm probably the only one to submit this artist
22. See #17
23. Probably?
24. Scorpions (46T)
25. See #17

Not ranked:  Miles Davis, Symphony X, Algalloch, Avenged Sevenfold, King Crimson, The Deer Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Katatonia, Anathema, Between the Buried..., Radiohead, Big Big Train, Peter Gabriel, Megadeath, Riverside, KISS, Ayreon, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend, Coheed & Cambria, Mastodon, Queen, Tool, Transatlantic, Marillion, Opeth, Van Halen (36), Steven Wilson, Haken
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: November 22, 2023, 06:55:52 PM »
More catching up, and 2/4 with these four.

Awesome post Luke :tup.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1597 on: November 22, 2023, 08:17:53 PM »
I don't love The Beatles, but I respect their place on the list.

Also, not to derail the conversation, but since there have now been a few mentions about how The Beatles are rated, I'd like to shout out Bob Dylan, who I presume will not be appearing on this list. Talk about one of the most confusingly rated artists of all time--can anyone think of another artist with a legacy so nearly universally appreciated who's also so popularly detested?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online HOF

« Reply #1598 on: November 22, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »

Also, not to derail the conversation, but since there have now been a few mentions about how The Beatles are rated, I'd like to shout out Bob Dylan, who I presume will not be appearing on this list. Talk about one of the most confusingly rated artists of all time--can anyone think of another artist with a legacy so nearly universally appreciated who's also so popularly detested?

Bruce Springsteen is another in this camp for me. Really don't understand the appeal of either.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1599 on: November 22, 2023, 08:49:35 PM »
I'm not very familiar with Springsteen, though I do like Nebraska. Clearly the voices are a major factor in both cases, and especially for Dylan.

I can appreciate why a band like the Beatles, but not Bob Dylan, would get the appreciation of a forum that leans toward prog rock and metal, but still... as far as influence goes, theres not much, if anything, between them. If anything, I would favor Dylan for his songwriting and longevity.

I guess I'm just a little bit aggrieved :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1600 on: November 22, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »
Also, while I made the "Number 9" joke in my earlier post, the self-titled album also celebrates turning 55 years old today!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1601 on: November 22, 2023, 08:59:53 PM »
Jungleland is basically Springsteen doing Prog.

I have never disliked his voice, although I can understand why some don't care for it. I think both as a songwriter and just many of the musicians he's had in his band elevates a lot of his music to me.

Also, the film Blinded By the Light kind of adds some appeal to Springsteen's music in some ways.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1602 on: November 23, 2023, 06:31:27 AM »
I saw Blinded By the Light (and also Western Stars) and still don't really "get" Springsteen myself.  I guess I understand the appeal for certain types of listeners, but even despite him having a saxophonist, everything I've heard so far just doesn't connect with me.  Some artists maybe just aren't for particular people. 

I already effectively wrote you an essay on this, but for everyone else, I think it's that he's praised/criticized for separate skills (songwriting, lyricism, vocal delivery, maybe band/instrumentation arrangements?), with arguably a far wider gap between them than most other famous musicians. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#08 up!)
« Reply #1603 on: November 23, 2023, 06:44:01 AM »
Hush now, don't your cry, we've come across number 8

08. Queensryche
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 1,057,030
Highest Finish: 1 (WardySI, Zoom E)
Number of top 10 finishes: 7
Number of Lists appeared on: 14 (DragonAttck, Dream Team, jingle.boy, pg1067, wolfking, devieira73, jammindude, Trav86, Setlist Scotty, WilliamMunny, WardySI, bosk1, Zoom E, nick_z)

One of my other, other favorite threads on this forum is Samsara's Queensryche Discography Thread (also a great book here.) I like Queensryche but don't love them. To me they are far too inconsistent to make my list but with that said they have some absolute bangers. Personally I think the best era was the DeGarmo/Tate and its what I return to the most. Not surprised they made the list but a bit suprised they made it into the top 10.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1604 on: November 23, 2023, 06:45:37 AM »
Haven't listened to them in ages, but I recall being quite into Operation Mindcrime many years ago, and then on Promised Land, but that's about it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: November 23, 2023, 06:53:51 AM »
I know too little about their whole discography to rank them on any list, I mainly just listen to their stuff from 1986-1994 whenever I feel like listening to QR.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1606 on: November 23, 2023, 07:00:03 AM »
O:M is an incredible album, and I like a number of their others as well, but really need to spend more time with them.  They're also fascinating in being one of the rare bands that can rejuvenate itself with a new vocalist.  La Torre is great with them as well as on his solo material. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1607 on: November 23, 2023, 07:08:43 AM »
My #13. That run of albums from the EP to Empire and then the last 4 starting with the self-titled are just so so good. Amazing production jobs on O:M and Empire especially, some of my favorite records sonically.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 12:42:11 PM by Dream Team »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1608 on: November 23, 2023, 07:12:50 AM »
Queensryche is a band that has two albums that are desert island albums, but am mostly ambivalent to the rest, with many albums even sucking.

It's hard for me to consider what is masquerading around as Queensryche...Queensryche. Just two out of 5 members and one is a fucking bassist.

They didn't make my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ced156

« Reply #1609 on: November 23, 2023, 07:26:12 AM »
One of my favorite band. 1984 -> 1994 is stellar material, with one of the most gifted singer/performer in the hard rock/metal scene. And the 5 album of this era are very distinct, in sound and style. Then the Tate era is uninspired stuff, I'm not a grunge/alternative fan. Since Latorre, mostly good stuff, but the real magic is gone. The 2013 st album could have been very very good with a few more time in studio to polish the songs.