Author Topic: my most controversial take: awake is the worst DT album  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: my most controversial take: awake is the worst DT album
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2023, 02:35:54 PM »
As far as pop music from the last decade, Taylor Swift is pretty good. It’s not hard to see why she’s the biggest artist in the U.S.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2023, 03:23:07 PM »
we've got people still denying taylor's talent in the year of our lord 2023............. insane............... such a 2009 thing to do i thought humanity had progressed past such things

The more I think about this ridiculous post the more aggravating it is . . . so I’m “required” to think Taylor Swift is talented, really? Are Taylor Swift fans “required” to think bands like Rush and DT are talented? Get the heck out of here with that.

Rush and DT achieved whatever success they had with 99% talent and less than 1% hype and marketing, what’s her ratio? 75-25 the wrong way? To each their own, worship your Borg queen all you want, I’m not getting assimilated.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2023, 03:38:53 PM »
Yeah....  but I have a 2008 frame of mind regarding her, so I do not need to progress, but my humanity is still in tact.

Does any of that make any sense?  ;)  :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2023, 03:48:25 PM »
The borg queen.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2023, 04:42:03 PM »
The borg queen.  :lol

Yeah that made me laugh too  :biggrin:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2023, 05:25:32 PM »
we've got people still denying taylor's talent in the year of our lord 2023............. insane............... such a 2009 thing to do i thought humanity had progressed past such things

The more I think about this ridiculous post the more aggravating it is . . . so I’m “required” to think Taylor Swift is talented, really? Are Taylor Swift fans “required” to think bands like Rush and DT are talented? Get the heck out of here with that.

Rush and DT achieved whatever success they had with 99% talent and less than 1% hype and marketing, what’s her ratio? 75-25 the wrong way? To each their own, worship your Borg queen all you want, I’m not getting assimilated.

i totally understand where you're coming from, and i used to be in a similar mindset. but it's funny you use rush as an example, because here's a little story to consider:

my ex-wife, who is a massive taylor swift fan, once dragged me to one of her concerts while we were visiting toronto. to be honest, i wasn't thrilled about it and i used arguments not dissimilar to this post. i'm a die-hard fan of progressive rock, and i thought taylor's music was just pop fluff. however, something incredible happened at that concert. as i stood there, grumbling about being there, i noticed none other than geddy lee in the audience. (he's a bit hard to miss :lol)

we struck up a conversation, and it turns out he's a taylor swift fan too. he explained that he appreciated the artistry in her songwriting and the way she connects with her audience. that got me thinking, if someone as legendary as geddy lee can appreciate taylor swift, maybe there's more to her music than i initially thought.

i decided to open my mind and give her music a chance. while it's quite different from the progressive rock i adore, i found that her songwriting is genuinely impressive. her ability to tell stories through her music and connect with her fans is something to be respected. so, my point is, you don't have to worship anyone, but it's worth giving different music a chance. you might discover something unexpected that resonates with you.

in the end, it's all about enjoying music in our own ways, and there's room for diverse tastes in the world of music. perhaps try listening to folklore and evermore in their entirety and find yourself becoming a better person, as i did. but if it's not your thing, no worries! i, for one, will enjoy having exile by taylor swift feat. bon iver right between octavarium and 2112 on my playlist :metal i love taylor and she definitely stands alongside all the greats mentioned - bob dylan, bruce springsteen, dream theater, rush... obama? :rollin
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2023, 05:57:58 PM »
Talent recognizes talent. It's incredibly ignorant to trap yourself in a box, like people who say "you can't spell crap without rap". I'm not a fan of most rap music, but I will recognize the talent to write those songs and construct a story and a good beat.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
this whole affair has made me decide to partake in a thought experiment: what if taylor swift reviewed "awake"? what would she think of it? would she agree with me and think it's their worst, or would she think otherwise.

after a long period of meditation, and some edibles, i decided to sit down and write a review as if i was taylor. here is what i came up with:

Quote from: Taylor Swift
hey everyone, it's taylor swift here, and i wanted to share my thoughts on dream theater's third album, "awake." you might be wondering why i, a pop-country artist, am reviewing a progressive metal album. well, music knows no boundaries, and i've always been a passionate music enthusiast, so i believe my perspective can bring something valuable to this discussion.

first off, "awake" is a remarkable piece of artistry, showcasing dream theater's exceptional musicianship and songwriting skills. the intricate guitar work by john petrucci and the thunderous bass lines courtesy of john myung are absolutely captivating. their technical prowess is undeniable, and it's clear that they poured their hearts into every riff and melody. the album's opening track, "6:00," immediately grabs your attention with its powerful drumming by mike portnoy, and james labrie's vocals are emotive and carry a unique quality. speaking of labrie, his performance throughout the album is stellar. he possesses an impressive vocal range, and his ability to convey raw emotion is commendable. he is truly a leader in his field and i hope our paths cross someday, i would love to ask him about his enunciation skills.

"awake" also features the epic "a mind beside itself" suite, consisting of three tracks: "erotomania", "voices", and "the silent man." this suite is a masterclass in progressive metal, taking the listener on a musical journey through a range of emotions and sonic landscapes. it's a testament to the band's versatility and creativity, something i've always appreciated in music as i explore different genres in my own work.

the album's lyrics delve into themes of self-discovery, inner turmoil, and the human psyche. they're thought-provoking and add depth to the music. dream theater's ability to combine intricate instrumentals with meaningful lyrics sets them apart in the world of progressive metal. i too, have a penchant for songwriting craft and my hordes of fans would back that up!

while "awake" is a phenomenal album, it might not be everyone's cup of tea. its complexity and length can be intimidating to some listeners, but for those willing to invest the time, it's a rewarding experience. this reminds me of how in my own career, i've also ventured into new musical territories, experimenting with different sounds and styles, and challenging my audience to grow with me.

in conclusion, "awake" by dream theater is a masterpiece of the progressive metal genre. the band's technical prowess, compelling songwriting, and emotional depth make this album a must-listen for anyone who appreciates music that pushes boundaries and challenges the listener. so, don't be afraid to step out of your musical comfort zone and give it a spin. you might just discover a new appreciation for the world of progressive metal, just as i've found inspiration in various musical genres throughout my career.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »

I am open to the possibility that she has talent but you're acting as though this is a foregone conclusion because she is so damn good. I cannot see it.

Here's the thing...I don't know to what degree she's written her songs. What is required to establish a songwriting credit in the legal world would astonish a lot of people. Producers and fellow musicians sometimes contribute more to the songwriting process than people realize. I don't follow her that much so that's why I am saying I don't know. I am open to it.

Here is what I am sure of: I don't think she's a good singer. She's been incredibly pitchy for years. I don't think she's a great guitarist, dancer, or lyricist. So unless she is an awesome composer/songwriter, I would lean towards the belief that she doesn't have any particular talent. That is not to say I don't understand why she is a pop superstar. I am not even saying she's not good at some of the things she does. I don't know your particular reasons for thinking she's talented but a lot of people equate fame and fortune with talent.

People buy pop music for different reasons, but I believe this is the reason for her mega-success: she has a total package that is immensely appealing to people. She is beautiful, slender, young, seems really nice and positive, is filthy rich, has a catalogue of chart topping pop songs, and is white. In a sense you could say that for millions of Americans, she is the ultimate vision of a perfect woman in this country. None of those things necessarily correlates with talent in a particular endeavor, and again not saying this is your view, but I don't believe pop stardom (which roughly equates to record and concert sales) equates to talent. In the end, I see why SOME people are skeptical that she has talent.

EDIT: I want to relate this to DT. I think the instrumentalist in DT have more talent in one hand than she does in her entire body but they probably sell fewer tickets/goods in 5 years than she sells in one night and that is just how it goes in the entertainment business. The average consumer has no f-ing clue who any of them are. It has zero to do with talent.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 06:55:38 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2023, 08:05:17 PM »
Dude, I've never listened to her music but Google is hour friend.  She has written or co written every one of her aimga. 

She's adapted,  grown and is prolific.   It's on you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2023, 08:35:11 PM »
i see the issue, we're talking about different people :lol

y'all are upset with 2006-2012 taylor who made mid pop/country complaining about exes when she was a literal teenager

i'm defending 2020s taylor who made the perennial masterpieces folklore and evermore
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Skeever

« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2023, 08:49:45 PM »
the perennial masterpieces folklore and evermore

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2023, 07:15:47 AM »

You don't HAVE to think anything.   You be you.  All of you, be you.  If you think she sucks, have at it. I think Radiohead blows and shouldn't be legally allowed to make albums; Bob Dylan is unlistenable and should be jailed for assault for his singing.   Whatever, the world turns.   

But there comes a point where one has to reflect and recognize that there are certain things they can't opine on with any credibility.  I'm not in a position to say "who has talent" and "who does not" and neither is anyone else.  I can think that of both those artists, but it's just MY opinion and probably based on things that aren't fact to anyone else but me.  Bob Dylan's place in music history is undeniable, no matter how many times I remind myself his singing makes me nauseous.  IT'S ME, and I have to own that.   So rather than be "that guy" and say "Bob Dylan sucks", or "Bob Dylan has no talent" and denigrate those that have a different take on the matter, it's far more accurate, and rational, to say "Bob Dylan isn't for me".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2023, 07:22:12 AM »

EDIT: I want to relate this to DT. I think the instrumentalist in DT have more talent in one hand than she does in her entire body but they probably sell fewer tickets/goods in 5 years than she sells in one night and that is just how it goes in the entertainment business. The average consumer has no f-ing clue who any of them are. It has zero to do with talent.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement though. Being a great instrumentalist is just one skill out of an almost uncountable number of possible skills humans can have.  Elvis Presley couldn't do ANY of the things that Jordan, Mike, John and John can do.  NONE OF IT.  Elvis could barely play guitar.  He has no talent? 

Personally, I think that ability to take a thought in one's head, translate it into melody and lyrics, and then connect with millions of people across all ages, genders, financial backgrounds, and nationalities isn't something to be sneered at as "populist" but rather something to celebrate and applaud.  I have no doubt that if John COULD do that, he would in a heartbeat.

And for the record, by all accounts she writes all or most of her music.  She has cowriters, but again, by all accounts that's her being generous, since most of the frameworks and certainly all the lyrics are hers. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2023, 12:46:19 PM »

I am open to the possibility that she has talent but you're acting as though this is a foregone conclusion because she is so damn good. I cannot see it.

Here's the thing...I don't know to what degree she's written her songs. What is required to establish a songwriting credit in the legal world would astonish a lot of people. Producers and fellow musicians sometimes contribute more to the songwriting process than people realize. I don't follow her that much so that's why I am saying I don't know. I am open to it.

Here is what I am sure of: I don't think she's a good singer. She's been incredibly pitchy for years. I don't think she's a great guitarist, dancer, or lyricist. So unless she is an awesome composer/songwriter, I would lean towards the belief that she doesn't have any particular talent. That is not to say I don't understand why she is a pop superstar. I am not even saying she's not good at some of the things she does. I don't know your particular reasons for thinking she's talented but a lot of people equate fame and fortune with talent.

People buy pop music for different reasons, but I believe this is the reason for her mega-success: she has a total package that is immensely appealing to people. She is beautiful, slender, young, seems really nice and positive, is filthy rich, has a catalogue of chart topping pop songs, and is white. In a sense you could say that for millions of Americans, she is the ultimate vision of a perfect woman in this country. None of those things necessarily correlates with talent in a particular endeavor, and again not saying this is your view, but I don't believe pop stardom (which roughly equates to record and concert sales) equates to talent. In the end, I see why SOME people are skeptical that she has talent.

Who gives a shit? Do you only enjoy music based on the background or technical skills of the people involved. I like songs by DT, Taylor Swift, Metallica, the BeeGees, John Coltrane, Madonna. Geez, it’s just music.
Can't we find the minds

« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2023, 01:22:51 PM »
for me knowing the backgrounds of the involved parties helps elevate my enjoyment but it's not by any means a requirement
Welcome to the Forums!

• PR permission
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »

That's kind of a ridiculous statement though. Being a great instrumentalist is just one skill out of an almost uncountable number of possible skills humans can have.  Elvis Presley couldn't do ANY of the things that Jordan, Mike, John and John can do.  NONE OF IT.  Elvis could barely play guitar.  He has no talent? 

Personally, I think that ability to take a thought in one's head, translate it into melody and lyrics, and then connect with millions of people across all ages, genders, financial backgrounds, and nationalities isn't something to be sneered at as "populist" but rather something to celebrate and applaud.  I have no doubt that if John COULD do that, he would in a heartbeat.

And for the record, by all accounts she writes all or most of her music.  She has cowriters, but again, by all accounts that's her being generous, since most of the frameworks and certainly all the lyrics are hers.

What is ridiculous about it? I think DT is way more talented than TS and the point of the comparison was to say that talent does not always correlate with financial success in this business.

I don't get your reference to John (John Petrucci I assume?). Seems to me he is already doing that. Are you suggesting if he could make Taylor Swift-like songs with Taylor Swift like success, he would? I do not agree if that is what you're implying.

The songwriting credit discussion is a large enough topic to warrant its own thread in a different forum. I don't want to get too off track here but I think fair to say a songwriting credit in the legal sense does not necessarily mean person X is solely responsible for a song. Often people who participate in the process do not get credit sometimes depending on how big the act is. I don't know what her arrangement with co-writers, producers, the other musicians etc, but it would be interesting to know if you took some of her most well known songs which parts specifically she was responsible for and which parts were fleshed out by others. I said in my initial post I am open to her having talent but I can see one thinking she doesn't.

I can't comment much on Elvis. I did not live through his heyday and I have not done a lot of digging through the history or his abilities. A statement one way or another does not strike me as unreasonable but again, I am less familiar with him. It strikes me that there was something new about Elvis as an act in the 1950s and a lot of America had never experienced anything like it. That's not necessarily talent but maybe it had something to do with his success. If it's true what you're saying - and I am not doubting you - that he could not sing, write songs, or play guitar then...yeah, he might not have had any talent. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the contrary lol. It was a cultural phenomenon in the 1950s, so many factors could have been responsible for its impact. Successfully feeding the masses something isn't by itself evidence of any particular aptitude except, well, selling. I guess that is a skill in and of itself so if that is all you mean by talent I guess you have a point. Doesn't always equate with musical talent, which is what I was talking about originally.

• PR permission
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2023, 06:25:31 PM »

Who gives a shit? Do you only enjoy music based on the background or technical skills of the people involved. I like songs by DT, Taylor Swift, Metallica, the BeeGees, John Coltrane, Madonna. Geez, it’s just music.

I know a lot of people DO enjoy music based on this. Might even be some DT fans who do as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2023, 06:43:38 AM »

What is ridiculous about it? I think DT is way more talented than TS and the point of the comparison was to say that talent does not always correlate with financial success in this business.

Talent isn't just notes per second.  Talent isn't just writing in 344/11 time signatures.   

I don't get your reference to John (John Petrucci I assume?). Seems to me he is already doing that. Are you suggesting if he could make Taylor Swift-like songs with Taylor Swift like success, he would? I do not agree if that is what you're implying.

That's not what I'm implying. I'm actually coming out and saying that if John (yes, Petrucci) could write a song - independent of any style; I'm not saying he would write a pop song - that would connect with 1,000,000 people, or more, he would do it in a heartbeat. Artists follow their muse, but I think to a person, artists want their art to be seen/heard/enjoyed.

The songwriting credit discussion is a large enough topic to warrant its own thread in a different forum. I don't want to get too off track here but I think fair to say a songwriting credit in the legal sense does not necessarily mean person X is solely responsible for a song. Often people who participate in the process do not get credit sometimes depending on how big the act is. I don't know what her arrangement with co-writers, producers, the other musicians etc, but it would be interesting to know if you took some of her most well known songs which parts specifically she was responsible for and which parts were fleshed out by others. I said in my initial post I am open to her having talent but I can see one thinking she doesn't.

She writes almost all of her own material. It's not hard to look up.  This is not, generally, a Beyonce situation where there are 24 writers per song.  She has co-writers, most recently (on the last four records or so) mainly Jack Antonoff or Aaron Dessner, but she has albums where she has written the bulk of the material herself (including Speak Now, where she wrote every song herself).

I can see people thinking it too, which is why I responded.  It's a stereotype.  Young, female, hot, famous, in the tabloids... of course it can't be her!   I think that's unfair.

I can't comment much on Elvis. I did not live through his heyday and I have not done a lot of digging through the history or his abilities. A statement one way or another does not strike me as unreasonable but again, I am less familiar with him. It strikes me that there was something new about Elvis as an act in the 1950s and a lot of America had never experienced anything like it. That's not necessarily talent but maybe it had something to do with his success. If it's true what you're saying - and I am not doubting you - that he could not sing, write songs, or play guitar then...yeah, he might not have had any talent. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the contrary lol. It was a cultural phenomenon in the 1950s, so many factors could have been responsible for its impact. Successfully feeding the masses something isn't by itself evidence of any particular aptitude except, well, selling. I guess that is a skill in and of itself so if that is all you mean by talent I guess you have a point. Doesn't always equate with musical talent, which is what I was talking about originally.

I'm not saying Elvis had no talent; I'm saying the opposite.  There are more ways to manifest talent than simple bitchin' quick keyboard lines, or insane guitar solos.  A six string bass and drums hanging from the ceiling are not evidence of talent.  Elvis is probably my vote for the greatest rock'n'roll singer of all time (Freddie and Ann Wilson are the other of the top three).  Ringo Starr was my number 5 drummer on our recent list here of top 25 drummers (Bonham/Collins/Peart/Portnoy is my Mt. Rushmore).   I sat in RCA Studio A in Nashville and heard an isolation tape of Elvis singing Bridge Over Troubled Water and when it was done we were speechless.  You could hear a pin drop.  It was one of the most amazing performances - from beyond the grave, no less - I've ever heard in my life.  I'm paraphrasing here, but "Paul, did the Beatles ever use drum machines or click tracks?"  "No, we didn't have to; we had Ringo."  And none of this is necessarily or fairly reduced to "selling".   

Look, I came to an epiphany when I became a dad.   Yeah, I went through my phases ("only King Crimson is REAL music, because everything is improvisation in real time" and "well, Tony Banks says Sibelius is the most relevant modern composer, so he must be great" and "Duran Duran isn't real music, it's just pop marketing!") and I watched my kids engage in the music they liked - whether it was the Jonas Brothers, or Slipknot! or Lil Wayne - and get the same joy I did growing up.  Reading the liner notes, parsing through the words.   And particularly my stepson and my daughter, they KNOW.   My daughter loves Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Def Leppard, Marillion (I took her to see Fish on his 13th Star solo tour), and The Beatles, but... Taylor Swift touches her heart.  That's her act. Her "Dream Theater" if you will.  And she parse the setlists like many of us here did back in the '90s.  "What did she play tonight? What was the rotating song?  OMG, she STILL hasn't played "xxx" yet!".    It's not selling; no one told her what to listen to. It's not marketing; no one told her how to react to these songs.   She's seen Swift I think five times now, and every time it's a new experience, and some new emotion, some new reaction. We talk and it seems an awful lot like my reactions to seeing Yes back in the late '80s, early '90s, or Page and Plant back in '95.  I think I have more pictures on my phone of her crying at a Taylor Swift show than I do of her college graduation.

I won't quite put her on the level of the greatest (IMO) living musician, Sir Paul McCartney, but she's got the same gift as Springsteen.  I remember not really getting Bruce growing up, and being in a dorm room up at Uconn, and a bunch of guys and girls were going to see Bruce (had to be the Born In The USA tour).  And one girl was going on and on about how he had a vision and that he was a storyteller and that he could touch you with his words.  I hear time and again, not just from "young girls" (as if young girls can't possibly know "good" music, or talent, please) but also people HERE, that presumably know the difference, that she's something special.  I later came to appreciate Bruce, primarily through his interviews and such (his Broadway show was the second best show I've ever seen live, out of close to 400 shows) and I see a lot of similarities.

You don't have to get it, or see it, or acknowledge it.  Not saying any of that.  I can't and won't tell you what to think, what to like or what to say.   But I think it's not unfair to ask that you assess your standard and contemplate whether it's inclusive enough to cover all the bases that something like "music" - or any art that touches individuals - requires.  I still don't get Bob Dylan, but it's silly of me to not recognize that he is a pioneering spirit in music history, and one of the greatest American songwriters and musicians.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 07:07:46 AM by Stadler »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2023, 07:00:06 AM »
There's a bunch of weird shit going on here.

Prog snobs are the funniest.

Taylor Swift is by no means my favorite musician, but her talent and presence can't be denied.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2023, 07:12:38 AM »

Taylor Swift is by no means my favorite musician, but her talent and presence can't be denied.

100%
Can't we find the minds

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2023, 07:44:59 AM »

Again, Hef with a truth bomb.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2023, 07:45:35 AM »

100%

Couldn't agree more.

I'll add this: as someone who has spent the majority of his life writing music in a variety of capacities, I personally hold the ability to transcend the way T Swift does in the highest regard.

To capture the zeitgeist, and then to sustain said popularity for decades, all the while offering your massive audience all sorts of musical left turns–honestly, it's beyond impressive to me.

I 'wish,' at some point, I'd written a single piece of music that connected with an audience a hundredth the size of T Swift's. Played a sold out show once (maybe 500 people), and yeah, that felt good. Would love to have had more of that. And honestly, I don't know a musician who doesn't. I mean, I totally get and respect an artist who's only in it for themselves, but once you get a taste of positive feedback, it's hard not to want to figure out how to cultivate more of it...human nature I suspect.

To that point, in my view, my inability to write a chart-topping single has nothing to do with anyone other than me.

No different than my dreams of playing in the NBA dying a cruel death the day I stopped growing at five-eleven, it just wasn't in the cards...which makes me appreciate the genius on display in pop songwriting all that much more.

Does DT 'deserve' a bigger audience?...well, to quote, ahem, myself, "deserves got's nuthin' to do with it.'  :biggrin:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2023, 07:54:04 AM »
Our culture is super individualistic, which is why we are so caught up in the idea of the "special" person, and love a singer-songwriter who is also beautiful, also writes their own songs, also plays the instruments themselves, etc...

That's one reason Dylan was/is so popular. He was kind of the start of this, being charming (if not handsome), writing great songs, playing guitar (or appearing), singing (to a level which most people at least found acceptable). And so on. Before Dylan, this didn't happen so frequently. There was no expectation that one person "did it all".

There was a time before the pop culture explosion of the 50s and 60s when music was seen and understood as more of a collective effort than an individual "all-time great" product, but we are so far in the direction  now and have never gone back.  BTW, remember when people gave James LaBrie shit for not writing his own songs on his solo record? It's no different.

As far as Taylor goes, I feel like I'm somewhere between the two main sides here.
I found her to be generally tolerable from her rise on the scene until about 2 years ago, and just find the whole "movement" annoying now. Call it a gag reflex, or something. I'm just sick of hearing about her, and seeing her image, everywhere I go. There's other stuff out there and society is just totally infatuated with her still for reasons that I just don't get.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
She's great.  A lot of Swifties are insufferable, of course, but that exists in every fanbase.  Prog fans not excluded.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2023, 08:13:15 AM »
the nfl stans and swifties converging into one monoculture has been a real treat for me to behold
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2023, 08:58:30 AM »
Awake the worst album?

That is really a controversial take.

But one that I really find much difficult to support. Though I may be biased as Awake is the 2nd DT album that I listened too after Images and Words.

For me its as good as I&M its like Images and Awake is the yin and yang of DT albums.

There was post in Reddit before that Awake could be like either the prequel or a dark sequel to I&M.

If I&M is the Dream.. Awake is like the protagonist awakens from that dream and into the living hell of a reality of his dark existence.

Like a passage in voices... Everything is immaterial"
"'n' you know that reality is immaterial."
"This is not reality"

If you look at it its like some one who can't come to terms of their real present circumstances. Much in contrast to the the more dreamy atmosphere of "Surrounded from Images and words"

Though even in Images and words the album touches topics such as depression from grief, (Wait for sleep) Illness, (Another day ) and learning how to live with a terminal illness (Learning to live) the overall mood of the album seems of a more optimistic one at most.

Like Learning to live mostly resolves it. 

But boy in Awake you got Space Dye vest as the ending.

And she listens openly

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2023, 10:57:02 AM »
Pretty sure I already responded to the OP, but basically:

sorry for the click bait headline but i think i finally feel comfortable unveiling what i think might be my most controversial take: "awake" is dream theater's weakest album

Yeah, the "click bait" thread title is completely unnecessary, but, I mean, like what you like.  If Awake doesn't do it for you, that's fine.  It doesn't mean there is a problem with the album or with you--it just means it doesn't resonate with you, for whatever reason(s).  That said, like others have said, I don't find any of your actual reasons to be persuasive at all. 

first of all, when we talk about "awake" being the worst, it's all relative. it's like saying the worst ferrari is still a pretty darn good car.

Yeah, and that's the thing with these types of discussion with folks who are generally fans of most or all of what DT do.  I hate saying "worst" when it comes to bands I generally like, and I think "least favorite" is more appropriate.  That is definitely the case with DT.  WDADU is definitely my least favorite, and I really can't see them releasing anything that would take the bottom spot.  But it still has some pretty cool stuff on it.  (I'm just glad they released WDADRU, because I definitely listen to that when I want my fix for those songs, and almost never listen to the original)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2023, 12:49:13 PM »
Perfectly fine Awake doesn’t do it for you. It’s my favorite DT album and I’m weighing in here because I find it hilarious that you feel that the production isn’t good, because I think it’s possibly the album with the best production for them.

It sounds thick, and it breathes. Such a colorful sound. I think this album has a certain vibe that they never quite recaptured. However, I can definitely imagine people being put off by certain meandering vocal melodies and here and there some questionable timing choices and executions. However, those imperfections I’ve come to love over the years.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2023, 02:17:16 PM »
As far as Taylor goes, I feel like I'm somewhere between the two main sides here.
I found her to be generally tolerable from her rise on the scene until about 2 years ago, and just find the whole "movement" annoying now. Call it a gag reflex, or something. I'm just sick of hearing about her, and seeing her image, everywhere I go. There's other stuff out there and society is just totally infatuated with her still for reasons that I just don't get.

AND

She's great.  A lot of Swifties are insufferable, of course, but that exists in every fanbase.  Prog fans not excluded.

Prog fans NOT excluded.  Shit, I LOVE Dream Theater.  I do.  I - like many of you here - have every single song they've released officially, live and studio.   Been on the train since 1992.  And I read some of the reviews here and I'm like "Are you trolling? Are you for real? Are you listening to the same thing I am?"

Skeever is right with the individualism, but it plays out here too.  WE want to feel special. WE want to feel like we've got some insight that others don't.  WE want to feel like what WE like is different.  Does anyone really want to be "one of the masses"?   What do you want to be when you grow up? "A clone!  One of millions who all like the same thing!"

Bruce - mentioned here a lot - is a shrewd motherfucker in that regard.  He created this thing, his Broadway show, that created the illusion of "elite".  You were SPECIAL if you got to see that show.  Not withstanding that it ran for 267 shows over four years; hundreds of thousands of people saw it (millions if you count HBO), and while it wasn't elite in general, in any given show, you were one of a handful (I think the Kerr Theater seated just under a 1,000), and between my friend (5), my ex-wife (1) and I (1) we've attended seven shows, and each of us have stories about seeing or sitting near celebrities. Mine is Ted Danson; my friend had a convo with Bob Seger like they were standing at the deli counter.   I think Taylor has the talent, the knack for doing this even in a stadium setting.  You feel SPECIAL for being there (and I don't just mean in a "being seen" sort of way, I mean like participating in an EVENT!)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:34:44 AM by Stadler »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2023, 08:06:45 AM »
^Yeah, prog fans and, maybe to a greater extent, metal "purists" can be just as bad.
There's nothing really about Taylor that makes this particular moment so annoying to me. Anyone being this big would probably grate on me, after awhile. I am just not one for the huge collective displays. My favorite football team is the Jets, a team I am very emotional about.  Yet I have often thought that, if they did finally win the big game in my lifetime, I'm not sure I could stomach going to the parade.

« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2023, 08:15:13 AM »
if the chiefs win the superb owl i am going to the parade myself with awake blaring out of a ghetto blaster i carry on my shoulder john cusack style
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2023, 08:28:26 AM »
if the chiefs win the superb owl i am going to the parade myself with awake blaring out of a ghetto blaster i carry on my shoulder john cusack style
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2023, 09:56:22 AM »
interesting original post. I disagree entirely. But that's the beauty of music.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2023, 10:39:47 AM »
keep reading for far more interesting discussion :lol
Welcome to the Forums!