Author Topic: Pink Floyd Studio Albums Countdown Thread! (#1 Up!)  (Read 6744 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Pink Floyd Studio Albums Countdown Thread! (#15 Up!)
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2023, 09:06:01 PM »
There are two albums I rated lower. But I tend to like the ambient background music if I’m in the mood. The single however, is really not good.

Instead of the various awkward descriptions of this album, I choose to think of it this way. TDB and HH were the curtain call. This is the “exit music”. And on that level I think it works.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Studio Albums Countdown Thread! (#14 Up!)
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2023, 05:49:00 AM »
Up next is an album that did just 2 points better than The Endless River.

14. More (1969)

Highest Finish: 9 (Stadler, SoundscapeMN)
Number of Top 10 Finishes: 2

Not a bad little album. Not something I listen to regularly but I never mind when it's one. "Green Is The Colour" is the standout on this record and "Cymbaline" is a close second. Compared to the other soundtrack release of Obscured by Clouds I just think there not enough here to ever really bring me back to the record. I've been saying I'm going to check out the film but still never have.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 04:45:20 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2023, 06:37:27 AM »

The only standout for me here is the Nile Song, as it’s the single heaviest thing Pink Floyd ever did. Everything else is too sleepy for me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 09:37:58 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2023, 07:14:11 AM »
9.  More
12.  Endless River

This is a real unsung record for me.  It's a little disjointed, being a soundtrack and all, but musically, it's a winner.  Several of these songs - Quicksilver, Green Is The Colour, Cymbaline - were later played live as part of the "The Man, The Journey" suite (which I LOVE). 

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2023, 08:13:59 AM »
More is definitely a grower, and from memory for what it' worth, the music seems more featured in the film than the music in The Valle (Obscured By Clouds). Although it was over 20 years ago when I saw both.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2023, 08:45:11 AM »
14   The Endless River
12   More

Playing a bit of catch. I had both TER and More pretty low as they're some of the band's albums I rarely listen to. I'd say my entire bottom five are all albums I've maybe heard less than a dozen times, if that, and as such, I can't really recall too much about them. I'm sure they have their fine moments but for me personally they did not do much.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2023, 08:47:53 AM »
Catching up -

I liked The Endless River more than apparently most of you.  I have it at # 10.  I like that it's more idea than finished product, in some ways.  I see it as instructive for the process, which for me is often just as important as the final product.  I love that it exists, and for me anyway, it's better than 5 of their other albums.

Including More, which I had at # 14.  Yeah, just not memorable and not very good, for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »
I had it at #11, perhaps a bit too high but it's a fine album. Cymbaline is my big favorite here.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »
Album rankings for me are basically "How often do I listen to this album?"  More isn't bad, but I just don't go to it very often, probably as much because of its odd place in the catalog as anything else.  For me, More is #12, with only the two Syd albums and <redacted> ranking lower.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2023, 10:27:43 AM »
I had this at 14, just behind The Endless River (yup, there’s still one lower).

A few gems that people have mentioned, but mostly a very uneven and spotty album.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2023, 02:06:38 PM »
Reaper, these are awesome. I know I could look it up every time, but could you add the year it came out to each update?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2023, 04:43:27 PM »
Yup! I'll go and add them now

Edit: Done

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Studio Albums Countdown Thread! (#13 Up!)
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2023, 05:12:28 AM »
Roger Water's screeches this album into 13th place

13. Ummagumma (1969)

Highest Finish: 5 (Orbert)
Number of Top 10 Finishes: 4

This album is kind of all over the place for me. To start with I love the live tracks, I think they are a great representations of Pink Floyd at the time. Where it falls apart for me is the studio record. 4 band members went away to write solo tracks and returned with a real mixed bag. "The Narrow Way" suite is probably my favorite followed by Water's "Grantchester Meadows" but the rest I almost never listen to. The album placed 12 for me.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2023, 05:53:12 AM »
13. Ummagumma (1969)

Highest Finish: 5 (Orbert)
Number of Top 10 Finishes: 4

14   The Endless River
12   More
11   Ummagumma

This was the highest of my bottom five, and probably the one of those five I've listened to most but still not worthy of my top ten PF albums. Like you said Reaper, it's quite the mixed bag, but not completely awful in my ears.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2023, 06:37:09 AM »
I love the live stuff.  It's in regular rotation on my PC.  To be honest, I kinda forgot that the studio stuff even exists since I rarely listen to it.  Once in a while I'll listen to "Several Species..." just for fun.  Most of the solo studio stuff sounds incomplete, basically a failed experiment.  Some of it's okay.

When ranking this one, I only considered the live material, which for me is the big draw, and it placed pretty high, right after the "big four" (Meddle through Animals).

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2023, 06:49:05 AM »
So far the aggregate list is following my own to the letter.

15. The Endless River
14. More
13. Ummagumma

I put The Endless River bottom not because it's 'bad' per se, but because it's just so insipid. If - as it should have been - it had been released as a bonus disc on a Division Bell reissue or box set I'd have been ok with it, but to market what is essentially an hour of call centre muzak as a standalone Pink Floyd album didn't sit well with me. Nice cover art but the most creatively lacking music 'the band' ever wrote. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2023, 07:02:13 AM »

Live tracks are fine, everything else is unlistenable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2023, 07:05:29 AM »

Live tracks are fine, everything else is unlistenable.

My ranking and my thoughts exactly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
9.  More
12.  Endless River
15. Ummagumma

I ranked this solely on the studio tracks.  The live stuff is fine; very good, in fact, but I just think the studio stuff is insipid and not worthy of what came out of them in the year preceding and the year following.  It also was silly in that it highlighted the disconnect between the live shows and the studio work.  It's baffling that no version of The Man and The Journey ever made it to (studio) tape.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:02:52 AM by Stadler »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
Ummagumma was my #12, and that's very generous. The only highlight is Grantchester Meadows, the rest is pretty skippable. The Narrow Way is decent I suppose.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2023, 09:10:28 AM »
Generous 12 here as well. Going to be a few more albums before we cross the line into good/great album territory for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2023, 09:35:46 AM »
More ended up at #14 for me. I only remember a couple of seconds from it.

Ummagumma was my #11, but I only counted the studio tracks. It's a solid experiment, every member did a fine job on their own. It's interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »
Ummagumma is at 15 for me, because a huge chunk of it is just terrible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2023, 10:28:33 AM »
Generous 12 here as well. Going to be a few more albums before we cross the line into good/great album territory for me.

Funny. I was just thinking that we’ve taken care of the 3 outliers in their catalog for me. Anything from this point forward crosses over into the albums I actually really enjoy.

I’m looking at my list again, even the one that ended up at 12 is a bit painful to see that low. But then again, everything from about 6-12 or so was always going to be like that.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Studio Albums Countdown Thread! (#12 Up!)
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2023, 05:33:01 AM »
Pink Floyd's second album comes in 4th from the bottom

12. A Saucerful Of Secrets (1968)

Highest Finish: 7 (Mladen, Zydar, jammindude, Cool Chris)
Number of Top 10 Finishes: 5

I remember hearing this album right after the debut and enjoying much more. The album feels a lot more cohesive to me and the songs are better composed. This is the only album to feature both David Gilmour and Syd, even though Syd makes an appearance on only a single track, which is quite good. My personal standouts are "Remember A Day", "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun", and "Jugband Blues".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2023, 06:29:48 AM »
9.  More
12.  Endless River
13.  A Saucerful Of Secrets
15. Ummagumma

This will be odd coming from a Pink Floyd fan, but I don't get the mythology of Syd Barrett.  I mean, I get his place in the band, and I know he was as "presence" through at least "Wish You Were Here" (and for my money, the words that Waters later wrote referring to Syd, even obliquely, were his most touching, by a LONG shot) but the ACTUAL MUSIC... does little for me.  I know he was only on a handful of songs, but I always think of this as a "Syd" record (by the way, "Syd" autocorrects to "Sad" on my computer!), and the rest of it is a band finding their way.

I like "Let There Be More Light" a LOT - one of my favorite songs - and "Set The Controls..." but there's a lot here that misses the mark for me.  Still should have been hight than Endless River in hindsight, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 06:52:15 AM by Stadler »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2023, 06:39:37 AM »
This will be odd coming from a Pink Floyd fan, but I don't get the mythology of Syd Barrett.  I mean, I get his place in the band, and I know he was as "presence" through at least "Wish You Were Here" (and for my money, the words that Waters later wrote referring to Syd, even obliquely, were his most touching, by a LONG shot) but the ACTUAL MUSIC... does little for me.  I know he was only on one song, but I always think of this as a "Syd" record (by the way, "Syd" autocorrects to "Sad" on my computer!), and the rest of it is a band finding their way.

I thought Syd played in "Remember a Day" as well?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2023, 06:49:06 AM »
This will be odd coming from a Pink Floyd fan, but I don't get the mythology of Syd Barrett.  I mean, I get his place in the band, and I know he was as "presence" through at least "Wish You Were Here" (and for my money, the words that Waters later wrote referring to Syd, even obliquely, were his most touching, by a LONG shot) but the ACTUAL MUSIC... does little for me.  I know he was only on one song, but I always think of this as a "Syd" record (by the way, "Syd" autocorrects to "Sad" on my computer!), and the rest of it is a band finding their way.

Hey you're right, my memory has failed me. He played acoustic and slide on "Remember A Day" per wiki. Funny enough Nick Mason didn't play drums on that track either (not the first time he didn't person on a PF song but we'll get to that later)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2023, 06:52:52 AM »

Hey you're right, my memory has failed me. He played acoustic and slide on "Remember A Day" per wiki. Funny enough Nick Mason didn't play drums on that track either (not the first time he didn't person on a PF song but we'll get to that later)

Wiki has him playing guitar on "Set The Controls..." too.  Point is, he's not the leader of the band here, as he was on the first album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2023, 07:08:45 AM »
Pink Floyd's second album comes in 4th from the bottom

I remember hearing this album right after the debut and enjoying much more. The album feels a lot more cohesive to me and the songs are better composed. This is the only album to feature both David Gilmour and Syd, even though Syd makes an appearance on only a single track, which is quite good. My personal standouts are "Remember A Day", "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun", and "Jugband Blues".

Barrett actually appears on 3 songs total.  He performs the slide solo at the end of Let There Be More Light, and he also performs on Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. STCFTHOTS also has the distinction of being the only song in PF history to feature contributions from all 5 members. EDIT - I’m going off Wiki as well, so I’m not sure if all the details are correct. Wiki is saying that according to their manager Andrew King, Syd performed that solo.

This album was my introduction to the early psychedelic period of Pink Floyd. I personally never got the title track, but I love the rest.

I had it at #7 and it’s sad to see it this low in the rankings.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:14:17 AM by jammindude »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2023, 07:44:59 AM »

14   The Endless River
13   A Saucerful Of Secrets
12   More
11   Ummagumma

ASOS landed in 13th for me, so not too far off. Not a bad album by any means, but the like others in my bottom five, this is one that has gotten very few spins since I was first discovering the band nearly two decades ago. Early PF has always just been an odd curiosity for me, and it's interesting to hear where the band came from.

I'm wondering if number 11 will be my 15th place album.

-Marc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2023, 08:41:27 AM »

Wiki has him playing guitar on "Set The Controls..." too.  Point is, he's not the leader of the band here, as he was on the first album.
You are right. Even though he's not the main guy at this point, it has the same feel as the first album
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2023, 08:43:30 AM »
I had it as high as #7, mainly on the strengths of 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun' and 'Remember A Day'. 'Corporal Clegg' was a favourite at the time I got the album, as well.

15. The Endless River
12. Ummagumma
11. More
07. A Saucerful Of Secrets

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2023, 08:44:27 AM »

A step in the right direction, but still something I rarely revisit.

12. A Saucerful of Secrets
13. The Endless River
14. More
15. Ummagumma

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »
I'm right with the consensus.  Had it at # 12.