Author Topic: Concerts for 2024  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Concerts for 2024
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2024, 01:23:56 PM »
Anyone going to Hell's Heroes next week?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2024, 01:49:32 PM »
Waiting for Myrkur to take the stage...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2024, 02:27:30 PM »

There's only one date announced right now (Humphrey's in San Diego, and tickets go on sale tomorrow), but supposedly this is a real tour. I've seen 62 dates bandied about. Definitely one I'll see a couple of times.

Man, I'd love to see Steve and Danny playing together, but I just do not like King Crimson or most solo material from King Crimson members.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2024, 03:43:57 PM »
April: Ozric Tentacles
May: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
June: Graspop Metal Meeting: Tool, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pendulum, All Them Witches, Deep Purple, Emperor, Ihsahn, Avenged Sevenfold, Uriah Heep, Mr. Bungle and so much more cool stuff.

Looking forward to awesome gigs is such a great feeling.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2024, 01:30:54 PM »
ELO tour announced today. I'll be hitting the wells fargo center show in Philly on 9/20.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2024, 02:28:39 PM »
Went and saw Prong/Voivod over the weekend. I'm not much of a Voivod fan, but as I've been saying for 30 years, Prong fucking rules. I saw them open for Flotsam on the Beg to Differ tour and immediately went out to buy the album. Good show Friday night, despite a pretty dead (and small) crowd. Tommy Victor strikes me as one of those guys that thinks himself the luckiest man alive for being able to do what he does. He was a support act playing for 300 people, and he acted like there was no place else he'd rather be. Hard not to appreciate that, and it really embiggens their live show. I wouldn't have paid the ~$48 or so face price, but the $20 I paid for a resell ticket (from a guy who paid $10) was a bargain. Given a similar opportunity people should check them out.

As I said, not much of a Voivod guy, but that drummer is a fucking beast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2024, 12:50:27 AM »
Ok, I am way too slow and did not notice this at all.  Apparently, FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine had closed permanently and it was announced a long while back.  Apparently, the usual city vs promoter fighting on how who should pay for what played a big role in not keeping the venue around or other similar building projects alive.  Darn, I liked that venue.  It had free parking in every show and it wasn't a slog to drive to compare to driving to Downtown LA or Inglewood.  No wonder, the radio rock bands have announced their tours, this year, to be at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

I probably should have seen the writing on the wall when one of the side by side screens, where they would show camera shots of the band or crowd, were out for the entire night when I was there for Shinedown and Papa Roach, but I just thought, "Well, it's almost the end of the concert season.  They will probably sort that out by next year's season."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2024, 08:44:01 AM »
Ok, I am way too slow and did not notice this at all.  Apparently, FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine had closed permanently and it was announced a long while back.  Apparently, the usual city vs promoter fighting on how who should pay for what played a big role in not keeping the venue around or other similar building projects alive.  Darn, I liked that venue.  It had free parking in every show and it wasn't a slog to drive to compare to driving to Downtown LA or Inglewood.  No wonder, the radio rock bands have announced their tours, this year, to be at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

I probably should have seen the writing on the wall when one of the side by side screens, where they would show camera shots of the band or crowd, were out for the entire night when I was there for Shinedown and Papa Roach, but I just thought, "Well, it's almost the end of the concert season.  They will probably sort that out by next year's season."
That was one seriously odd duck of an amphitheater. Never seen one quite like that, with the seats behind the lawn before. Also interesting that it was only 7 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shutter our local shed. I dig the place, but I only have cause to go out there once every five years or so because tours hit the arena. It seems to be reserved for nostalgia acts, for the most part. Texas heat doesn't help it much, either.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2024, 01:07:40 PM »
Saw Orbit Culture on their first EU headline clubtour. Small venue sold out with around 500 people and a good part of the floor being one big mosh and circlepit.
I will take any chance to see this band in a small venue. They will be playing much bigger crowds within the next few years.
Songs are agressive, melodic and catchy at the same time. Drummer is a beast.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2024, 03:13:44 PM »
Pop punk weekend continues for me with Set It Off and Crown the Empire tonight, but wow last night Fall Out Boy at the Garden were incredible.  I was never a huge fan of them growing up, but their live show is top notch and they won me over last summer when I saw them for the first time.  They just impressed me so much last night.  I had such a great time during their set and from the last row of the arena, the place was LOUD.  Not sure if Set It Off is going to be able to follow that up, but the smaller GA concert should have good energy tonight.  Both shows were/are sold out, other than this rain, this is shaping up to be a great weekend of music that I'm shocked I am even a fan of honestly.

Fall Out Boy - Uma Thurman LIVE @ SOLD OUT Madison Square Garden New York City 3/22/2024

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2024, 01:18:46 PM »
Seeing Rick Wakeman tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2024, 07:22:28 PM »
KK's Priest/L.A. Guns tonight. Guns were really good. KK's Priest kicked ass! :metal
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:34:33 PM by DTwwbwMP »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2024, 02:10:50 PM »
Back to that Fall Out Boy concert last Friday..... wow just wow they are so good.  I can't get that show out of my head.

We got there pretty early, much earlier than I expected coming from work and meeting my gf in NYC before the show so we actually watched the entire show.

First band, Games We Play, hit the stage at 6:30.  Basically a young large guy who was pretty charismatic and engaging, but felt like he was the onyl one even live of the 3 piece band.  Felt like their entire set was backing tracks.  It just was not for me at all.  Even if they had a full band, I don't think the songs were for me.  They only did 4 songs and a lot of talking for a 20 minute set.

Next up were Hot Mulligan.  My 3rd time seeing them, but first time really seeing them and being more aware of what they are.  I felt pretty bummed by their set.  I thought for playing MSG, they'd make a bigger deal about it.  They did their same opening set without much crowd interaction.  HOnestly felt like going through the motions for them which I did not expect.  I did not like their set. 

My gf and I were literally in the last row at the Garden and we wanted to grab some food between sets and I know the better food is down below so we went down to the lower bowl to grab food and I almost walked right into the singer of Games We Play.  Shook his hand and was given a Fueled by Ramen sticket  :lol He seemed nice, and I felt bad for talking to him in a positive way when I really didn't like their set, but there was no way I was going to say that to his face.  Also, while running into the opener is fairly common in the smaller shows, but not really something I've experienced in an arena before.

Jimmy Eat World was next and we were still eating when they started.  I was in no rush to get back to my seat.  This was my 3rd time seeing them and I never really cared for them besides the one hit song.  When we got back to our seats about half way through their set, I felt bored.  At least the little kid next to us was LOVING it and while his screaching voice singing was a bit annoying, I honestly enjoyed watching his happiness to the music.  I do think the ending of their set was better as the arena finally stood up for The Middle to end their set.

I will say, at this point, I felt pretty dissapointed with the show.  I didn't like any of the 3 opening sets.  My gf didn't either and she let me know that this show sucked so far  :rollin

Well that all changed quickly once Fall Out Boy took the stage.  First few songs were just loaded with pyros and fireworks, huge bangs, and energetic songs with the arena erupting singing along.  From the last row of the veneu, you could hear the crowd singing along so loud for some of these songs.  It was AWESOME.  They mentioned they chose these songs specifically for a sold out Madison Square Garden.  At that point I knew we were going to get some cool songs and something different.  They have been doing this "Magic 8 ball" thing for the tour where basically they play whatever song the magic 8 ball says each night making each night special with at least one rare and different song each night.  The 8 ball didn't come out yet, but it might as well have.

The lighting rig above the band came down real low for the next few songs.  Basically down to right above the drummer's head and the band all performed under it.  Kind of made for a crappy view for me in the back, but I think the idea was the make the people in the front feel more intimate with the band as they went through a string of older and rarer songs.  We got a couple songs right off the bat that haven't been played this tour.  At least the top of the lighting rig had some pyro to keep us without a good view entertained. 

When that part of the set finished, out came a huge dog head from behind the stage, swaying back and forth.  This Ain't a scene, its a goddamn Arms Race had the entire venue fist bumping.  Balloons came out for the following song, before the fog came out to set the stage for a softer song that has some really awesme and powerful vocals, straying quite differently from the pop punk songs that had mostly been played up till this point.  That song (Heaven, Iowa) was a highlight for me. 

A few songs later, during Fake Out, they asked everyone to shine their phone's light... with a twist.  Earlier in the night they were handing out little pink slips of paper.  You were supposed to put the paper over your light for this song (the paper even said to do it for this song).  And people followed the instructions as the venue filled up with pink lights in the crowd. 

Next up was a really interesting part of the night and a part where the band also often changes things up.  Out came a grand piano and the singer solo.  He did a few parts of a few different songs including some covers, sort of in a medley although the songs weren't connected, he would just play a part of each of them.  During this part of the show they brought out two ladies, Daisy Grenade, to sing a song together.  I wasn't familair with this song, but my gf was, and it was a completely different piano version of the song with the two girls singing the leads with the main singer adding layers.  It was quite incredible.  The song didn't really win me over, but the performance and the one time uniqueness is exactly what I love in concerts.

They also did the title track from the newest album while the piano was out since that song has a piano as lead, not guitar, and it was another of the top moments for me in the concert.  This and Heaven, Iowa, really just blew me a way as great softer songs.  Some spoken word by the bassist who did some magic and dissapeared while on top of the piano.  This was all part of the set up to have him appear in the crowd shortly after to perform Dance Dance.  Kind of Kiss like in terms of the one player being solo on a solo stage in the back of the arena.  After the one song, he walked along the venue to return to stage, never stopped playing. 

We then came to the Magic 8 Ball part, and we got 2 songs!  One was an older song that had never been played in full live before.  Another song was a cover song by a band called The Academy Is (I'm not familiar with them or the song) which had the singer of the band singing it with Fall out Boy.  They had never done that song live.

They then finished the set with the same 4 songs they do every night, 4 hit songs, which honestly at this point all felt excessive.  I honeslty felt like they had up to that point won me over 10 times with that set, at 25 songs played, doing the final 4 just felt like even more than icing on the cake.   Their whole set was around an hour and 50 minutes, 29 songs (roughly). The best set I've seen this year so far from set list, performance, stage show, and crowd.

ALso just to add, Fall Out Boy felt VERY live to me. They do use some backing tracks for some songs, but it felt like the backing tracks were mixed low.  It very much felt like a live rock concert.

Fall Out Boy Jimmy Eat World Hot Mulligan LIVE @ SOLD OUT Madison Square Garden New York 3/22/2024

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2024, 02:20:20 PM »
Another review...

the night after Fall Out Boy, was Set It Off, also a sold out concert but at the much smaller Irving Plaza.  They played the same venue 2 years ago and it didn't sell out, so this was cool to see them get a better turn out. 

There were too openers, but it was raining so hard all day, we decided to not leave the house until much later to avoid the rain and therefore missed both openers.  Set It Off were a lot of fun as usual.  I just hate how not live they sound besides the singer.  I'm used to it now, but still hate it especially since their newest music is heavier than before so more reliant on the guitars that just don't sound right to me.  The main vocals are definitely live though. He was holding the mic out to crowd surfers that you could hear sing and he's just not perfect live either so you hear the faults.  He's a charismatic front man and that's really the draw of their live show.

Set included all 5 new songs since their last album release and a bunch of older songs, not really much from their previous album which was a bummer to me.  THey did do a like 10 song medley that included The Magic 8 which was a song from the previous album not played live yet which was probably the highlight of the show for me, especially since the singer grabbed what looked like a Magic 8 Ball in a funko box from someone in the crowd and sung with it waving around. 

The crowd was ALL young people, about half girls half guys.  SO definitely a different mix from my typical shows, but once again, expected.  THey had a mosh pit going most of the night with lots of crowd surfers.  For the encore, I got in  :lol I think the young people saw me and then just started throwing crowd surfers at me  :lol It was fun.

Set It Off LIVE @ SOLD OUT Irving Plaza New York City 3/23/2024

Next up, a easter sunday metal show:

March 31st - Avenged Sevenfold & Poppy @ Prudential Center, Newark NJ

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2024, 03:17:02 PM »
So it looks like I'm going to at least the Friday of Arctangent this year...

I might bite the bullet and go Thursday as well, as the line up is so damn good. Friday will be killer though, as I can see Sign, Ihsahn and Meshuggah (among others). It'll be my first time seeing all three bands! If I can afford Thursday as well I can also catch AVKRVST, Earthside, Conan, Red Fang and Baroness.

The line up is just so loaded.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2024, 05:10:41 PM »
i saw glass beach in Denver a few nights ago.

the show was cool and the music ruled and i had a good time. noticed that about 80-90% of attendees were wearing covid masks, which i found odd since i can't remember the last time i saw that much masking (like even during the pandemic? lol). i think there was some social media post i missed because i was one of the few who didn't have a mask (tho i would have worn one if they gave them out or asked us to bring one, i don't mind that much i guess)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2024, 07:58:55 AM »
My gf and I are trying to figure out how to make it to 311 at Red Rocks at the end of June, which is followed by a 311 show in Denver the next night and the following night would be Dirty Heads at Red Rocks.  This would be incredible if we can pull it off.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2024, 12:07:12 PM »
My gf and I are trying to figure out how to make it to 311 at Red Rocks at the end of June, which is followed by a 311 show in Denver the next night and the following night would be Dirty Heads at Red Rocks.  This would be incredible if we can pull it off.
Looks like you'll be limited to GA at Red Rocks. You're gonna need to be there at doors or else it's kind of a bummer. That's a shame because the parking lot there is a great place to hang out and pre-game.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2024, 12:12:55 PM »
Looks like you'll be limited to GA at Red Rocks. You're gonna need to be there at doors or else it's kind of a bummer. That's a shame because the parking lot there is a great place to hang out and pre-game.

I dont mind GA.  Been there a few times before including with GA.  And I also would likely get there early to see all the bands and enjoy the atmosphere anyway.  But that stuff would still need to get planned, I just don't see GA being an issue.  311 shows are meant for GA too (even though I know this isn't a floor).  Always have great encounters with people at their shows and I'd imagine the Colorado folks to be much nicer than the NJ people I'm used to  :lol

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2024, 07:30:44 PM »
My wishlist so far.  Nothing purchased yet:
One of the Dixie Dregs shows in the NY/NJ area.  I think JR is performing with them?
Mon, MAY 13 Count Basie Center for the Arts Red Bank, NJ
Tue, MAY 14 Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts Patchogue, NY
Wed, MAY 15 The Town Hall New York, NY

Dweezil Zappa-
Fri Aug 30 The Paramount, Huntington, NY

Pineapple Thief- I dont know much about this band, but I like Dissolution, with White Mist being the song that drew me in, and I've sampled some of their other work.
Sat, NOV 23 Gramercy Theatre New York, NY
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:39:23 PM by jasc15 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2024, 12:20:56 PM »
My wishlist so far.  Nothing purchased yet:
One of the Dixie Dregs shows in the NY/NJ area.  I think JR is performing with them?
Mon, MAY 13 Count Basie Center for the Arts Red Bank, NJ

I didn't realize that was happening, just looked and damn it's expensive! Same set up as Haken though, maybe a candle light evening of prog  :lol I don't think I'm going to attend at that price point though.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2024, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm more likely to attend the NYC or Long Island show, so I haven't checked the prices for NJ.  They are pretty pricey, indeed.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2024, 09:59:32 PM »
Bummer... Due to Visa issues Survive Said the Prophet canceled their show in Berkeley next week. Was looking forward to it too.

Next show is BtBaM on the 12th.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2024, 12:54:21 AM »
Darn.  Well, that's sorta a blessing in disguise for me if they weren't able to make it to the LA show as well.  I really don't trust the parking around the Echoplex area.  Apparently, the area around it has only metered street parking where there's free parking at 9 PM and no well-rated enough secured garages and that's not really assuring me enough to go to that area.

Therefore, the next concert for me may be Starset at the Anaheim House of Blues at the end of April.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2024, 09:00:30 PM »
I'm needing a show sooner than later, and Sleepytime Gorilla is playing at a favorite venue next Saturday. I literally know nothing of them other than seeing their name around here, but may hit it up just for the heck of it.

What say you all?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2024, 02:50:11 PM »

There's only one date announced right now (Humphrey's in San Diego, and tickets go on sale tomorrow), but supposedly this is a real tour. I've seen 62 dates bandied about. Definitely one I'll see a couple of times.

Looks like the full tour has come out now.  I'm not into King Crimson so this generally doesn't interest me, BUT, the cast of musicians is pretty cool AND they are coming to a local theater for me so I put it on my calendar.  Maybe I'll go because of the uniqueness and local show.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2024, 03:27:16 PM »
I'm seriously considering it just to see Carey in a smaller environment, I've only seen him in the arena settings with Tool.

Also gave Sleepytime Gorilla a quick spin yesterday, think I'll pass on that show. Music is definitely too cultured for me lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2024, 04:00:40 PM »
That King Crimson tribute concert is doing two shows in the Greater LA Area.  The United Theater on Broadway in LA (never been there before, but apparently it's near the Orpheum theater) and The City National Grove of Anaheim (right close to Angels Stadium).  I shall pass.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the schedule for April.  Only two concerts intrigue me this month.  Bruce Dickinson at the Observatory in Santa Ana (resale is at $132.00.  If it gets below $100.00, that gets me buying it) and Starset at the House of Blues.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2024, 04:16:55 PM »
Bruce Dickinson at the Observatory in Santa Ana (resale is at $132.00.  If it gets below $100.00, that gets me buying it) and Starset at the House of Blues.
Damn, if it were a bit later in the week I'd be all over that. I'm knocking around coming in for Sessanta on 420, and can't afford to make it a week long deal.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2024, 04:19:44 PM »
Looks like the full tour has come out now.  I'm not into King Crimson so this generally doesn't interest me, BUT, the cast of musicians is pretty cool AND they are coming to a local theater for me so I put it on my calendar.  Maybe I'll go because of the uniqueness and local show.

I feel the exact same way, I can't pass up an opportunity to see Vai and Danny playing together. He'll I'm seeing Vai in a couple of hours.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2024, 04:46:04 PM »
Bummer... Due to Visa issues Survive Said the Prophet canceled their show in Berkeley next week. Was looking forward to it too.

Next show is BtBaM on the 12th.

Saw both nights last week… Colors 2 made for an unbelievable show, still on my mind how much fun it was.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2024, 05:40:54 PM »
Saw both nights last week… Colors 2 made for an unbelievable show, still on my mind how much fun it was.

Good to know, night 1 is probably a no go for me.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2024, 08:26:02 PM »
Ooo, Beat looks interesting.  I know little of King Crimson, but I do like Discipline, and have sampled Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, since they are kind of a loose trilogy, or at least a specific era.  I also know their material (and their lineup?) before and after was quite different.  I know KC was a big influence for Danny Carey, and I realized that after re-listening to Indiscipline.  I might add to my list for this year.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »

yep, got my presale ticket this morning for Minneapolis on Novembwr 4th (day before Election day, lol).

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2024, 10:43:47 AM »
yep, got my presale ticket this morning for Minneapolis on Novembwr 4th (day before Election day, lol).

the denver show is the day after election day lmao
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!