Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 61255 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Geopressions!!
« Reply #1260 on: September 27, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »
 :lol

You negative fuck RJ. HAHA.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1261 on: September 27, 2023, 05:11:43 PM »
 :biggrin:

Gotta entertain myself somehow as I'm getting fucking rolled at work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1262 on: September 27, 2023, 05:26:51 PM »

Yeah, I think that’s the theme he’s following here.  :lol
I'm actually just sending music that I want you to check out that I really like, in hopes of expanding your horizons a bit more. If it works, great! If not, at least I had fun!

I'm just busting. Glad you're here!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1263 on: September 27, 2023, 07:08:31 PM »

I'm actually just sending music that I want you to check out that I really like, in hopes of expanding your horizons a bit more. If it works, great! If not, at least I had fun!

And just a heads up, I'm probably going to change my main assignment song for next round. Maybe....if I find the time.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1264 on: September 27, 2023, 07:13:37 PM »

And just a heads up, I'm probably going to change my main assignment song for next round. Maybe....if I find the time.....

No problem. I'm on track, so as long as it's changed by Monday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1265 on: September 28, 2023, 09:33:21 AM »
G’day!

Got real deep on the writeups yesterday. More than half. Pretty much everything is ranked. I have one locked in 8 and just trying to figure out out of the other five, which one gets bumped to the 7.5.

I have two songs competing for the 10, but I have a pretty strong lean on one of them, and I think it could be a surprise.

Sister song comparisons will be posted after work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: September 28, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
G’day!

Got real deep on the writeups yesterday. More than half. Pretty much everything is ranked. I have one locked in 8 and just trying to figure out out of the other five, which one gets bumped to the 7.5.

I have two songs competing for the 10, but I have a pretty strong lean on one of them, and I think it could be a surprise.

Sister song comparisons will be posted after work.

You speak Australian?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1267 on: September 28, 2023, 03:44:34 PM »
Sister Song Comparisons

Europe > David Gilmour
Alcest > Guapa
Whispered > The Haunted
Altair > Sieges Even
Pain Of Salvation > Leprous
Cloven Hoof > Church Of The Cosmic Skull
Mors Principium Est > Mgla
Sentenced > Enslaved
Amaran ? Marius Danielsen

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1268 on: September 28, 2023, 05:22:12 PM »
Huh, haven't made it to the playlist yet, but I guess I'll have to focus on that one.  Possibly tied or better than a track with your favorite vocalist, but the song might suck, so wide open, isn't it?   :justjen

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1269 on: September 28, 2023, 05:57:44 PM »

6. Puppies-Enslaved Nice and heavy and doesn’t feel as long as it is.

8. Nick-Sentenced Really cool groove on this, though might be a tad long

Sister Song Comparisons
Sentenced > Enslaved

Ha! I'll take it. Sorry, Puppies  :biggrin:

Also mildly surprised by POS>Leprous (given the songs, I mean)

This is going to be interesting  :corn :corn

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1270 on: September 28, 2023, 06:06:07 PM »
Alcest yay, glad it is not at the bottom :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: September 28, 2023, 08:35:04 PM »
Alright, writeups are complete!

I'll format the Results post when I get home from work tomorrow, so Results around 3:00PM Boston time.

Then I'll get started on the Extra Credit listens and have final Geography grades on Saturday.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1272 on: September 28, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »
Don't we have to come in and point out our chosen country on a map?

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1273 on: September 28, 2023, 09:45:17 PM »

6. Puppies-Enslaved Nice and heavy and doesn’t feel as long as it is.

8. Nick-Sentenced Really cool groove on this, though might be a tad long

Sister Song Comparisons
Sentenced > Enslaved

Ha! I'll take it. Sorry, Puppies  :biggrin:

Also mildly surprised by POS>Leprous (given the songs, I mean)

This is going to be interesting  :corn :corn
Oh  :censored   :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Geography Main Assignment Grades!!
« Reply #1274 on: September 29, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »
Geography Main Assignment Grades!

Reaper: Guapa-Fabersven

This is like charming a snake with Repentance.

So, I appreciate the submission. It was a really interesting listen, but unfortunately it just never really had a chance. This was a strong round and this song kind of felt like a big speedbump. On its own though, it was pretty cool and had a nice vibe. But it was just too long for what it was.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stadler: David Gilmour-All Lovers Are Deranged

I cannot believe that with this artist’s catalog, THIS is the song you send.

OK, Stads.. This song is only slightly better than I remembered. I definitely remember the song and I never really understood it, as it was so far away from Pink Floyd. Maybe that’s the rub. Phil Lynott’s solo material was quite different than thin Lizzy and well….it was interesting.  I am surprised at the low stream numbers for this compared to the rest of this album, considering it was the single off of it.

Puppies: Enslaved-Singular

Nice and heavy and doesn’t feel as long as it is.

So this was a weird one for me. There’s nothing wrong with it, and it’s pretty groovy. The vocals are fine and the mixed cleans blend well. But overall, the song just isn’t all that exciting, and it seemed like everytime I played it, I’d drift off about halfway through and kind of lose touch with it, only to be brought back to reality by realizing that the next song started. Looking forward to the discography, as I will be following, but I’m not sure this was the right song.

Soupy: Church Of the Cosmic Skull- Cold Sweat

Is this the ghost of Phil Lynott?

This song really got me excited…until it didn’t.  The first half was really cool. All I could hear was the ghost of Phil Lynott. It was really captivating, the vocal style. But about halfway through, it seemed to become some sort of lounge jam, which would’ve been fine but it devolved in an extremely repetitive thing such that I forgot how much I enjoyed the first half.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lethean: Leprous-Phantom Pain

You didn’t do it again did you?

I’ve sampled Leprous before, and they’ve just never moved the needle for me. The intro to this song really had me worried. It does get better once it turns into Lord Nefaryus. The “harsh” vocals before the chorus were unexpected, but the chorus itself was excellent. Musically, the rest of it was decent enough. Better than I expected.

Jamesman: Alcest-Autre Temps

This is real nice, but you do know the Foreign language round is still yet to come, right?

This song was quite a change of pace in this round. The intro generally stopped my in my tracks, and even though it’s slow a plods a bit, it has a real endearing quality to it. The acoustic lines have a sort of familiar 70’s feel to it, a classic rock vibe. Alcest will not be banned after this round, and I would definitely welcome them again. I’m actually intrigued.

Glasser: Cloven Hoof-Highway Man

That is some old school styled classic metal.

I enjoyed this song, I’ll say that. The intro was decent enough, but then it picks up into an old school classic heavy metal track. Cloven Hoof is an older band and this is from a relatively recent release. The singer has some pipes, but like the new Metal Church, I feel like he’s..overdoing it a bit. But I like his dedication. The whole “How do you plead?” section in the middle was a bit cheesy though if I’m being honest. I like the nice melodic solo. Class. All in all, pretty good. The outro though, is completely unnecessary.

Kingshmegland: Sieges Even-Tidal

I feel like someone is trying to slip me some Damian Wilson.

Here’s a song that kind of sits in the middle ground. It’s really nice, but it lacks something to really compel me. The chorus is pretty nice, but overall, this song kind of passes me by. It’s heavy in spots, proggy in others, but neither heavy nor proggy enough I guess. I like the song, don’t get me wrong, but it’s up against some much stiffer competition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfking: Mgla-Exercises In Futility V

Even though this song wants to breathe, it might be a tad long

So this is definitely a cool tune and I will be checking out this album, but… this song is pretty long for what it is. Every song is its own song in a roulette playlist, but as much as I liked it, it just seemed to run on and on . This is something I’d put on if I had to paint a room or something. Cool to have on… The best part is at 1:08 where the rhythm guitars underneath really define themselves. It has a cool haunting vibe.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lithojazzosphere: Amaran-Primal Nature

We found Lost Domain’s mother.

Yeah, this song rocks big time. I’m still trying to place the opening guitar line. Besides being more accepting of harsh vocals in the last 6-8 years, I am also way more accepting to female vocals in metal as well. I’ll definitely be checking this album out. One thing that stands out to me is the strong snare. Has a great heavy feel to it. The only thing I don’t love is the repeating descending (ascending?) guitar line in the chorus.

Jingle.Boy: Marius Danielsen- Angel Of Light

You are one crafty cheating son of a bitch motherfucker.

Holy shit! That’s all I have to say. What a find. The song is a little generic, even cheesy, but still in my wheelhouse. Most of Kiske’s guest spots are on songs that sound exactly like this. Both guys sound amazing here. The “Never give up, never give in” part is incredible. This has a great ending with both guys shining. Really enjoyed this.

Faizoff: Pain Of Salvation- Used

This song feels like a medley

I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this song. I loved the Faith No More/rap styled verses. The snare had a bad ass pop to it which was addictive. The “Getting used to pain” prechorus was…ok I guess, and the chorus was really nice.At 2:42, it’s such a cool part with the solo and the steady beat behind it leading into a really cool bridge.  Love the drum sound in this song.

Lonestar: Altair-Flame Of Knowledge

2013 me would’ve loved this

Used As the Impressions says, I would have been all over this a decade ago. I still think it’s excellent. The singer has a Doogie White quality to him kind of. He’s got pipes. What I found with music like this is that there’s a fine line between being interesting and ears glazing over, but I definitely like this. Love the DT part at 3:36. A chancy submission, but you survived it.

Twosuitsluke: The Haunted-Hollow Ground

Really interesting mix of styles but really cool.

I LOVED the music in this song. Nice driving beat and the guitar sounded great.  The vocals are a little sceamo for my tastes, but the song is quite strong so I can get past them, plus they’re not in the chorus. I really love the outro. Nice. This is a really cool track.

Tomislav: Mors Principium Est- Lost In A Starless Aeon

How can you send such drivel in one round and then…..this?

This was really punchy and I loved it from the jump. I really need to check this band out more. Not sure I’ve been sold on the vocals on everything I’ve heard, but they’re fine here. Musically though this band is all win. This caught my attention every time it came up in the playlist. This was a great choice, and it feels like it packs a lot in its five minutes, yet never overstays its welcome.

Nick: Sentenced-Forever Lost

Really cool groove on this, though might be a tad long

A number of years ago, I sampled Sentenced and the vocals basically made them a non starter for me. This song is a great reintroduction to the band. What I hear while listening to this is Blaze Era Iron maiden. The intro is a sounds like Maiden (with a little Eye Of The Beholder underneath), but it’s as if this is a Harris/Gers piece. At 3:44, and again at 4:50, all I hear is Janick. I also hear a little Fields Of The Nephilim slightly as well.

Ariich:  Whispered- Tsukiari

Looks like the real ______ has finally showed up to play!

Right off the bat, I knew this song was going to do well. Epic build up that only sounds slightly Asian. It has a subtle folky influence coming through the metal. The vocals are on the harsh side for sure, but the music in this is so damn good. The chorus reminds me a bit of the amazing Bloody Tyrant album from a couple of years ago. The shift at 3:56 is metal as shit followed by a great solo section. Unfortunately, I could only give one 10, and this damn near got it.

Romdrums: Europe-Scream Of Anger

I feel like I’m back in high school.

I got a copy of The Final Countdown when it came out and I thought it was ok, but I never really took them all that seriously. I wished I had discovered this album though because I would’ve really liked it.  It’s better than Vandenberg, I’ll say that. This song is classic early European Power Metal. John Norum is oozing Michael Schenker. All over! The rhythm, the solo….This would’ve definitely passed for MSG for sure.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1275 on: September 29, 2023, 12:42:11 PM »
Heck...you ain't seen shit for chancy submissions yet.... :rollin

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: September 29, 2023, 12:50:48 PM »

This was really punchy and I loved it from the jump. I really need to check this band out more. Not sure I’ve been sold on the vocals on everything I’ve heard, but they’re fine here. Musically though this band is all win. This caught my attention every time it came up in the playlist. This was a great choice, and it feels like it packs a lot in its five minutes, yet never overstays its welcome.

Watch out for Tim's next roulette in six months where he still hasn't checked Mors Principium Est out and they're once again not banned. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1277 on: September 29, 2023, 12:57:07 PM »
Lithojazzosphere: Amaran-Primal Nature

The only thing I don’t love is the repeating descending (ascending?) guitar line in the chorus.

That's one of my favorite things about it.   :facepalm:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1278 on: September 29, 2023, 01:03:02 PM »
I love the write-up for Alcest. If you ever check out the album it's from, I think you might really enjoy it. It's an experience!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1279 on: September 29, 2023, 01:03:35 PM »
Totally get what you said, Tim. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1280 on: September 29, 2023, 01:09:55 PM »
So close! :metal

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1281 on: September 29, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
So let me get this straight, PoS and a song fronted by Kiske and Heiman rate the same.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1282 on: September 29, 2023, 01:22:04 PM »

A number of years ago, I sampled Sentenced and the vocals basically made them a non starter for me. This song is a great reintroduction to the band. What I hear while listening to this is Blaze Era Iron maiden. The intro is a sounds like Maiden (with a little Eye Of The Beholder underneath), but it’s as if this is a Harris/Gers piece. At 3:44, and again at 4:50, all I hear is Janick. I also hear a little Fields Of The Nephilim slightly as well.

If you ever dig into the band, there are 3 distinct periods (death metal, mid-period, super melodic with a new singer) that the band evolved through.   Listening to one of their later records is drastically different than one of their earlier records. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1283 on: September 29, 2023, 01:23:54 PM »

Watch out for Tim's next roulette in six months where he still hasn't checked Mors Principium Est out and they're once again not banned. :lol

Cut it out, troublemaker!

You're probably not wrong though

So let me get this straight, PoS and a song fronted by Kiske and Heiman rate the same.

Well, to be fair, it's in a stacked group, however, if I were doing my normal traditional scoring, they would not have scored equally. In the group of 8's, you and Litho were the last cuts from the 9's.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1284 on: September 29, 2023, 01:24:45 PM »

If you ever dig into the band, there are 3 distinct periods (death metal, mid-period, super melodic with a new singer) that the band evolved through.   Listening to one of their later records is drastically different than one of their earlier records.

Hey, thanks for poking your head in....where does this song come from?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1285 on: September 29, 2023, 01:28:09 PM »
I love the write-up for Alcest. If you ever check out the album it's from, I think you might really enjoy it. It's an experience!

Totally get what you said, Tim. 

I liked both songs and they each suffered from the Stacker.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1286 on: September 29, 2023, 01:38:27 PM »
Period 3. Geography- Today's Lesson: Europe... Songs by bands from Europe ............and you win if you send Europe!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1287 on: September 29, 2023, 01:41:03 PM »

The mid-period.  Quick rundown:

Death Metal period:
Shadows from the Past - debut, self-admitted Death rip-off album
North from Here - more technical, European influenced melodic death/black metal album.  Around this time they recorded a ripping cover of The Trooper. 

Mid period
Amok - this album has the song that you listened to.  It was the same lineup, but they dropped the death metal and introduced much more melody.  Nepenthe is the "hit" song from this album. 
Love and Death EP - EP in a similar style, with a fun cover of White Wedding.

New Singer / Later Period
They changed singers to Ville Laihalla.  These are my favorite albums that the band put out - the music turned more gothic influenced, melodic and up-tempo, with ultra-melancholy lyrics about death, depression, love, morose feelings, suicide, etc.  Ville could sing better than Taneli Jarva as well, carrying more of a tune.  A good comparison would be songs similar in style to Paradise Lost / Say Just Words. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1288 on: September 29, 2023, 01:43:20 PM »

Answering for him, it's in that mid-era.  Looks like Nick chose wisely.  As I alluded to a few days ago, I think the early material might be too extreme for you, and the later material perhaps too plodding, but I'm glad to see something from them connect. 

Edit:  Err, he just posted as well, so there we go. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: September 29, 2023, 01:44:10 PM »
Fair and I think exactly why I was trying a late change with the song.  Definitely check it out, you'll like it.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1290 on: September 29, 2023, 01:46:35 PM »
New Singer / Later Period...the music turned more...up-tempo

Huh, my recollection is that the tempos on average go down.  Sounds like I'm due for a refresh binge on them to check that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1291 on: September 29, 2023, 01:48:02 PM »
Fair and I think exactly why I was trying a late change with the song.  Definitely check it out, you'll like it.

Oh yeah, I do like it. A victim of the Stacker. It was tough to leave it out of the 8's.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1292 on: September 29, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
Edit:  Err, he just posted as well, so there we go.

No worries - I don't participate in any of these giant threads and I don't always know everyone's tastes.  I don't think the later albums are musically plodding, but I can see why someone would say "gee, do I really need album after album of 12 songs, all about despair and suicide?" 

New Singer / Later Period...the music turned more...up-tempo

Huh, my recollection is that the tempos on average go down.  Sounds like I'm due for a refresh binge on them to check that. 

Well, if you compare the tempos on North From Here to the later records, yes.  They don't play fast, frenzied death metal anymore.  But there are songs like The Suicider, which musically, are up tempo and rocking, while contrasting with morose, despair-filled lyrics.  There's still plenty of slower songs too, but I think it fits well with the topics that they write about.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1293 on: September 29, 2023, 01:50:38 PM »
TAC, what do you see as the advantage of the stacker?  This sort of outcome is why I'm hesitant to use it, but hosts seem to like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: September 29, 2023, 01:51:23 PM »

Oh yeah, I do like it. A victim of the Stacker. It was tough to leave it out of the 8's.

All good mate.  That's the game.