Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 52353 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Math Is A Wonderful Thing
« Reply #490 on: September 16, 2023, 04:50:39 AM »
This is why your roulette took two years.

Nah, it’s Tim’s brain every time someone makes a pop culture reference.

:lol 2 back to back zingers from Luke right here!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: September 16, 2023, 05:59:54 AM »
Good morning Class!

Math Grades coming today. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: September 16, 2023, 06:05:34 AM »
Can't wait to see them!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #493 on: September 16, 2023, 06:05:47 AM »
How many hours have the brown nosers got left to suck up?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: September 16, 2023, 06:09:49 AM »
How many hours have the brown nosers got left to suck up?

None!

I’ll release Main Assignment grades in a bit and Extra Credit scores when I get home from work.

Not a great round, really. In my standard scoring, the top song would’ve gotten like an 8.4. A couple of 8’s and the rest would’ve been all in the 7’s.

I feel like a lot of you are gonna be disappointed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #495 on: September 16, 2023, 06:13:14 AM »
Ah, the classic “TAC applies a theme that restricts what can be submitted then moans about it” post :lol

But seriously, looking forward to it teach!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: September 16, 2023, 06:28:52 AM »
Disappointment from my teachers is nothing new to me TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: September 16, 2023, 06:45:17 AM »
Disappointment from my teachers is nothing new to me TAC.

That's probably a good thing..

Ah, the classic “TAC applies a theme that restricts what can be submitted then moans about it” post :lol

:lol

Nah that wasn't restrictive.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: September 16, 2023, 06:46:39 AM »

The hell it wasn't :lol

I'm not playing but I can't resist to bitch about your roulette themes :lol The whole premise is good though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #499 on: September 16, 2023, 07:02:31 AM »
Yeah this is the most restrictive round of the roulette so quite a funny one to start with. The rest should generally be fine - foreign language is I guess a bit restrictive but the rest will be pretty open.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #500 on: September 16, 2023, 07:20:12 AM »
Tim, I love your roulettes, and the theme of this one is great, but this round did restrict me. I’ve probably got lots of good music that would fit into at least one of the round themes, but also plenty that won’t fit any!

Could get the meme train rolling with this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: September 16, 2023, 07:25:50 AM »

The hell it wasn't :lol

I'm not playing but I can't resist to bitch about your roulette themes :lol

You got a week's detention and you don't even go to school here!

The whole premise is good though.

Ok...make it two days.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #502 on: September 16, 2023, 07:26:58 AM »
Yeah this is the most restrictive round of the roulette so quite a funny one to start with. The rest should generally be fine - foreign language is I guess a bit restrictive but the rest will be pretty open.

Foreign language was pretty easy for me.. Didn't even go Japanese either  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #503 on: September 16, 2023, 07:33:09 AM »

huh...I thought it would be a fairly easy one.

Yeah, the Foreign language theme could be a bit tough.. I expected a lot more bitching about that one. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #504 on: September 16, 2023, 07:36:37 AM »
I think I found one song that can be used for every round except 2023  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #505 on: September 16, 2023, 07:45:06 AM »
OK, let the real bitching begin!!

Math Main Assignment Grades!

Stadler: Our Lady Peace-4am

I hate this guy’s voice lol.

So, the elephant in the room is the singer. He’s awful. It’s like a bad past his prime Jeff Keith. I can tell the lyrics are thoughtful enough.  It improves a bit when it picks up, and I was hoping it was setting up an epic styled ending, but it was just the repeated chorus. And that voice. Ugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soupy: Sponge-Molly (16 Candles)

One listen and I have no clue how I feel about it. Reminds me a little of Michael Monroe though.

So, don’t get discouraged by the score because I did like the song. It reminds me of Michael Monroe, who I love. This song has a great vibe, but in the end, it’s up against too much strong competition.

Kingshmegland: Queens Of The Stone Age-3’s & 7’s

My guess is that this song would come across much better if played live in a club…what..is that  Michael Shenker cameo?

Elite sent me Another Love Long before and it came in 8th out of 12 songs. I don’t remember anything about it though. I may not remember anything about this song either other than the total Michael Schenker background accents at :52. Beautiful. But apart from that, it’s not really in my wheelhouse, and while any song has a chance in a roulette, I just never connected with any part of it.

Jamesman: Katatonia-The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here

So, I’ve been sent this band before in roulettes, and yup, this is them.

Oh boy James..Your first lesson is that I really struggle with Katatonia. They are just so lifeless. I don’t find any emotional connection to them whatsoever. The vocals are awful and drab. The best thing about this song is the female vocals. Can she take over?
Since you’re new to my roulettes, I’ll give you a freebie. I also can’t stand Chris Cornell, so don’t send me Soundgarden.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick: Klimt 1918-Snow Of ‘85

I thought this was a bit iffy, but even on this first listen, it continued to build.

It’s spot in the rankings doesn’t really reflect how much I really enjoyed this song. I have a soft spot for music like this. Almost Gothy/80’s College Alternative. It’s a style that I turned my nose at when I was younger, but the older I get, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, it remained an underdog throughout the round, never really elevating like I thought or hoped it would.

Ariich: Chaos Divine-One Door

There’s a lot going on here to try and make a first impression with.

This song was probably the most frustrating to deal with this round. I gave it more opportunities than I should have, but it just failed to make an impact. All the parts are pleasant enough, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with it. In each of the songs that rated above it, they each had a moment where my head would instantly start bobbing and it just never seemed to happen here. I wouldn’t write off this band because I think there’s some good stuff in there.

Puppies: Septicflesh-Five-Pointed Star

Hey this isn’t….er..yeah it is. Great drumming though.

My first listen to this was actually pretty favorable. It was way better than I expected, never having heard Septicflesh before. I expected it to be much more dirtier and rougher sounding, and the fact that this was so cleanly produced really gave it a chance. Those vocals are really rough though. They’re on a frequency that is just not pleasurable. That break at about 2:25 is really interesting and unexpected. I liked it behind the returning vocals too. But something about this, with each subsequent listen, it seemed to sink a little more. The drummer is ridiculous though. Holy shit!

Romdrums: Nevermore-Inside Four Walls

A tad low tuned for my liking. This song would be much better if played a step or two higher.

Nevermore is a band that should be right up my alley.  Should be. This song really exemplifies why they are not. The tuning on this, and I don’t know how technical I can describe it, but the guitar tone in the beginning of the song is something that I just don’t find pleasurable. And Warrel Dane doubles down on this approach with his vocals. He specifically stays in a low range, and it’s really outside of my comfort zone. I will say that the guitar solo absolutely fucking slays. But this song needs to add a little melody to the chorus, or somewhere.

Reaper: Tool-46 & 2

WTF? Dream Theater is banned! This song needs a melody infusion.

I’ve never been able to get into Tool. I liked their first single Sober a lot, but everytime I’ve sampled them it’s been kind of almost doomy. I’ve thought they have always sounded great, but I find their music very linear. This song isn’t really any different. It’s begging for some melody. Around the 4:10 mark, the song starts to elevate with some fantastic drumming. I’ve watched a number of Danny Carey’s drum-cam footage and the guy is a beast. But Tool glazes my ears over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twosuitsluke: Paranorm-Second Assault

This song smokes, and the vocals are..acquired.

This starts nice and riffy and the lead guitar is really nice. The vocals are a bit rougher than I think it should be for this music. Not sure what they should be, but maybe it’s in the songwriting, like the pre chorus and chorus are kind of just there. The vocals kind of bury the great music. I like the transition at 1:42 leading into a ferocious solo. The vocals and vocal lines drag it down a bit as it sits dead center in the rankings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: September 16, 2023, 07:45:30 AM »

Lethean: Vanden Plas-Three Ghosts

This song would’ve been better if the singer took the clothespin off his nose.

I’ve seen Vanden Plas referred to as progressive, but I’ve never really felt that way based on what I’ve heard from them. BUT, this song reminds me so much of Dream Theater. The intro is like a mash of Outcry and The Bigger Picture. Musically, this really is quite a ride. It’s easily the longest song of the round, but it never feels draggy. Vocally, yeah, this guy is my main problem with Vanden Plas, but this song and its music are so strong, it helps to offset him. This song rocks the whole way through.

Glasser: Sacred Oath-Twelve Bells

Old school band I wasn’t familiar with, and the vocals were cleaner than I expected.

I remember Sacred Oath from back in the day, but I never had a chance to listen to them. Seems they’ve had a resurgence as this is a 2017 release. This has a real old school considering when it was released. Sounds like it was recorded 30 years earlier. I expected the vocals to sound…rougher.  I really love the musical parts. Sounds like across between Flotsam and Fates Warning. This song definitely appeals to an 18 y/o TAC.

Crow: All That Remains-Six

One of the first bands I tried with harsh vocals…always liked their music.

About 15 years ago, I worked with some kids that knew I liked metal, but I didn’t care for harsh vocals. I asked them to make me a couple of CD’s of bands I should check out, and All That Remains was one of them. I remember really liking the music, but I couldn’t hang with the vocals. Listening now, musically, this is excellent, though these really aren’t the kind of harsh vocals I like, but in this short three minute song, the vocals to music ratio is more than reasonable. I love the shift at 1:37. This is an amazing part. Really lifts the song. Not sure I could take a whole album of these vocals, even today, but this totally works here.

Faizoff: Volbeat-Caroline #1

I really like the pounding driving rhythm of this.

Well, you managed to find another Volbeat song that I really liked. I think I listened to this album after you sent Rebel Monster, but a whole album’s worth of Volbeat really didn’t sustain me. But in a small dose like this, it works great,. Either that or you have a knack of picking the right songs. The dude has a cool voice, king of a weird vibe to it, but cool. This song rocks and I bobbed my head on every listen.

Lonestar: Day Six-7th Sign

This has kind of a haunting vibe. Reminds me in parts of modern era Uriah Heep.

I think if one song grew the most from First Listen to Final Listen, it was probably this one. Though to be fair, most of the songs faded as the round went on. But this one stood strong as a number of tracks fell around it. The singer reminds me a bit of Uriah Heep’s Bernie Shaw, with a little of the dude from Constantine thrown in. This song has a marauding nature that keeps building and never really takes a step back. I really like it when it gets going a little after the 4 minute mark. Love the drumming in the next part, and modern day Uriah Heeps pops up at the 5 minute mark.  This song is a nice ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Litho: Scariot-Strange To Numbers

This is riffy…and chunky…and tasty metal.

This song makes a grand entrance with a wicked Slayer style riff.  The vocalist is fairly nasally, but he’s not the dude from Vanden Plas, so that’s good. I like the changeup led by the bass at 2:08. This is a cool chugging riff. Even the mellower part a bit later is really nice. I see this album came out in 2009, but it feels way more old school than that. Definitely a cool discovery.

Tomislav: The Sword-Tres Brujas

This is groovy as shit. I dig it.   

This is the song that simply wouldn’t go away. I thought it was pretty middle of the pack on first listen. But every time it came on, I was like..what song is this? The lyrics are baked..literally, but the music has a cool groovy vibe. The transition at 2:00 is great and leads into one of my favorite moments of the entire round.

Wolfking: Immortal-One By One

Well, this is fucking heavy lol

This song kicks you in the teeth right from the jump. The vocals are fine. There’s some great drumming and some cool changes. That riff at 1:01 is riffdiculous. 2:45 begins the best minute of the entire round.  Killer tune.

Jingle.Boy: Exlibris-Rule #1

Wow, that’s a smoking intro. This whole song hits a sweet spot.

This opening blew me away. The orchestration and smoking guitar, such a grand entrance. But even with the keyboards and orchestration, it never feels wimpy. The chorus is strong, musically. The guitar solo is ripping and the breakdown into the slower part is all class. That part right at 3:30 is so nice. Heck, even the Derek/Jordan solo is fine. This was the strongest song of the round from the jump.

Extra Credit and Final Math Grades later today!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Math Main Assignment Grades
« Reply #507 on: September 16, 2023, 07:48:39 AM »

Oh boy James..Your first lesson is that I really struggle with Katatonia. They are just so lifeless. I don’t find any emotional connection to them whatsoever. The vocals are awful and drab. The best thing about this song is the female vocals. Can she take over?

:rollin

Yeah not a good idea to send them to Tim. I love this song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #508 on: September 16, 2023, 07:52:24 AM »
Middle of the pack, I was hoping for a bit better but I get it, you weren’t a fan vocally. Here’s hoping you don’t hate me extra credit song and I move a bit further ahead. Guess I better check out that Exlibris song.

Ok, going back to what you mentioned earlier Tim… (hope this doesn’t get me sent to the Head Teacher)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 08:20:57 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #509 on: September 16, 2023, 08:10:48 AM »
I'll take it.. You got my history homework already.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #510 on: September 16, 2023, 08:42:50 AM »

Nick: Klimt 1918-Snow Of ‘85

I thought this was a bit iffy, but even on this first listen, it continued to build.

It’s spot in the rankings doesn’t really reflect how much I really enjoyed this song. I have a soft spot for music like this. Almost Gothy/80’s College Alternative. It’s a style that I turned my nose at when I was younger, but the older I get, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, it remained an underdog throughout the round, never really elevating like I thought or hoped it would.

This was not completely unexpected  ;) I figured there would be things in the song you'd like, and others where it would just kinda be "there" for you. I LOVED this song when it came out in 2005...a few years later I think there is a certain, um, naivete in the approach, especially with the vocals, I don't think I connect quite as much these days,  but when I did a re-listen for the roulette I found I still very much like it. As I mentioned to you, I love the guitars, and how the song keeps moving through various moods.

Speaking of the style - the band actually went on into an even more "alternative/shoegaze" kind of direction in subsequent albums, and basically lost most of the "gothy" side of their music. I still enjoy what they are doing, but I suspect you wouldn't  :biggrin: Down the road, though, I'd recommend you check out the rest of this album - it's really quite good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #511 on: September 16, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
Ah well. You have my round 2
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #512 on: September 16, 2023, 09:06:09 AM »
Pretty good start, gives me a bit of leeway to send something slightly riskier next round.   :lol

Yeah not a good idea to send them to Tim. I love this song.

Indeed.  And she has fronted other bands, so she does take over in a way, though I'm not sure how they would do. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #513 on: September 16, 2023, 09:58:07 AM »
Sent for round#2!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #514 on: September 16, 2023, 10:43:28 AM »
Haha, didn't know I'd hit a dud! :lol All good!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #515 on: September 16, 2023, 11:00:47 AM »
I'm OK with that score for Septicflesh. Now I'm curious how my Extra Credit song will do, since it's basically a polar opposite song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #516 on: September 16, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »
My extra credit song might well do better than my main ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #517 on: September 16, 2023, 11:16:18 AM »
sounds about right yeah  :corn

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #518 on: September 16, 2023, 11:40:27 AM »
Sent for round 2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #519 on: September 16, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Extra Credit Grades!

Glasser: Satan-Twelve Infernal Lords…+3.0
----------------------------------------------
Wolfking: Kreator-666 World Divided…+2.5
Litho: Scariot-Lady X…+2.5
Nick: Annihilator-Sixes And Sevens…+2.5
----------------------------------------
Lethean: Angel Dust-The One You Are…+2.0
Jamesman: The Warning-The One…+2.0
Faizoff: Volbeat-Danny & Lucy (11PM)…+2.0
Romdrums: Periphery-22 Faces…+2.0
Ariich: Amorphis-Two Moons…+2.0
-------------------------------------------
Puppies: Bend Sinister-Seventeen…+1.75
-----------------------------------
Reaper: Incubus-11am…+1.5
Twosuitsluke: Ghost-Twenties…+1.5
Jingle.Boy: Vanden Plas-Vision 3hree Godmaker…+1.5
Lonestar: IQ-One Fatal Mistake…+1.5
Tomislav: Sharon Van Etten-Seventeen…+1.5
----------------------------------
Kingshmegand: I Mother Earth-One More Astronaut…+1.0
Crow: You’re One Of Them Aren’t You…+1.0
Stadler: Our Lady Peace-One Man Army…+1.0
-----------------------------------
Soupy: Afghan Whigs-66…+0.5

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #520 on: September 16, 2023, 12:22:48 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Math Final Grades
« Reply #521 on: September 16, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »
about what i expected for that extra credit song yeah

Offline Lethean

« Reply #522 on: September 16, 2023, 12:28:54 PM »
Glad you liked the Vanden Plas song.  :metal  And presumably the Angel Dust song too.

Curious - how to you decide what songs are sister songs?

James - don't worry about the low score for Katatonia; with rule 7, it simply mean that you can send them again later in the roulette.   :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2023, 12:34:06 PM »
I posted the Banned During The Roulette list at the bottom of Reply #2 underneath the Banned List.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2023, 12:37:18 PM »
What a shocker, Chad and Kade are on top.