Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 54511 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Social Studies Impressions!
« Reply #1295 on: September 29, 2023, 01:54:18 PM »

Soupy: Big Big Train-Winkie

What a fascinating story, and musically it’s quite dramatic.

I’ve never heard a single BBT before, though I’ve seen them mentioned a lot around here. Here, they sound like they’re heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel & Genesis. Not in my wheelhouse, Genesis. I thought the story of this song was the most interesting variation of this round’s theme. A WWII Carrier Pigeon. But what is great about this song is that the narrative is supported by a driving epic-like soundtrack. Reminds me of the driving nature of Iron Maiden’s Empire Of The Clouds. The backing lines with “Calculating windspeed” were really effective. Really a great experience this song.

Accidentally clicked on this thread and discovered Big Big Train scored a 9! Not sure if Soupy sent the album version or the live version, but the live performance is even better.

Since I put down the Main Assignment playlist last night, and I'm about to hit the Extra Credit playlist, it created a window at work today for some free listening. After lunch, I remembered this post so I pulled up the Empire live album and checked it out, and yes, it was really strong. I only had like an hour or so left, so I just left the album on until the end of my shift.  Not exactly my thing, and kind of Genesis-y, but it was really nice stuff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Geography Main Assignment Grades!!
« Reply #1296 on: September 29, 2023, 01:54:46 PM »
But there are songs like The Suicider, which musically, are up tempo and rocking, while contrasting with morose, despair-filled lyrics.  There's still plenty of slower songs too, but I think it fits well with the topics that they write about.

Yeah, I guess when I think of the later material the ones that stand out the most are generally slower, "No One There", "Killing Me Killing You" and such. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1297 on: September 29, 2023, 02:00:25 PM »
TAC, what do you see as the advantage of the stacker?  This sort of outcome is why I'm hesitant to use it, but hosts seem to like it.

So, honestly I'm not a fan of the stacker. I used it once in my V.3 Opposites Attract Roulette where I had two playlists for each round, stacked each, and the score was the average.

I was intrigued by James' abbreviated stacker, and I knew I was going to do a Back to School theme, so I used a Bell Curve stacker. But since I kind of don't like running a straight stacker, that's when I got the idea to do the Extra Credit songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1298 on: September 29, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
Oh hey, my song didn’t do terribly, maybe there’s hope for me yet! Glad you liked the song dude. The Haunted Made Me Do It and The Dead Eye are two of my all time favourite metal albums, so definitely add them to some list somewhere, to check out.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2023, 02:13:38 PM »
Nick: Sentenced-Forever Lost

Really cool groove on this, though might be a tad long

A number of years ago, I sampled Sentenced and the vocals basically made them a non starter for me. This song is a great reintroduction to the band. What I hear while listening to this is Blaze Era Iron maiden. The intro is a sounds like Maiden (with a little Eye Of The Beholder underneath), but it’s as if this is a Harris/Gers piece. At 3:44, and again at 4:50, all I hear is Janick. I also hear a little Fields Of The Nephilim slightly as well.

If you ever dig into the band, there are 3 distinct periods (death metal, mid-period, super melodic with a new singer) that the band evolved through.   Listening to one of their later records is drastically different than one of their earlier records.

Hey, thanks for poking your head in....where does this song come from?

The mid-period.  Quick rundown:

Death Metal period:
Shadows from the Past - debut, self-admitted Death rip-off album
North from Here - more technical, European influenced melodic death/black metal album.  Around this time they recorded a ripping cover of The Trooper. 

Mid period
Amok - this album has the song that you listened to.  It was the same lineup, but they dropped the death metal and introduced much more melody.  Nepenthe is the "hit" song from this album. 
Love and Death EP - EP in a similar style, with a fun cover of White Wedding.

New Singer / Later Period
They changed singers to Ville Laihalla.  These are my favorite albums that the band put out - the music turned more gothic influenced, melodic and up-tempo, with ultra-melancholy lyrics about death, depression, love, morose feelings, suicide, etc.  Ville could sing better than Taneli Jarva as well, carrying more of a tune.  A good comparison would be songs similar in style to Paradise Lost / Say Just Words.

Grappler beat me to it...

Yep, that's a good summary...Tim, as I mentioned in the PM, I'd say Amok is pretty unique even within their own discography. It's one of those cases where the style is clearly transitioning, but the result is just, well, lightning in a bottle. I LOVE Amok. I remember being blown away by it when it came out, and it hasn't lost an ounce of charm. As Grappler mentioned, the song Nepenthe was a mild "hit" in metal circles when it came out. But almost every tune is great, so I encourage you to check the rest out.

The good news is (hope I'm not spoiling anything)...my extra credit song is another Sentenced tune from a different period  :) so you can hear for yourself. It's from their second to last album, Cold White Light - even though it's not, as a whole, an absolute favorite (although I think it's great too), that song is so good and catchy I couldn't resist.  Of the Ville period, Down and Frozen are probably the (twin) peaks for me. Urgent, melancholic, catchy metal. Good stuff.

As for the comments on the song - super happy you enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily think of THAT Maiden comparison (this came out right around X Factor, I believe), but I see where that's coming from. I still stand by my statement that the part around 4:50 sounds like an absolutely classic Maiden moment

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1300 on: September 29, 2023, 02:14:04 PM »
Oh hey, my song didn’t do terribly, maybe there’s hope for me yet! Glad you liked the song dude. The Haunted Made Me Do It and The Dead Eye are two of my all time favourite metal albums, so definitely add them to some list somewhere, to check out.

The vocals almost cost you, but the song was so good.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2023, 02:17:32 PM »

The vocals almost cost you, but the song was so good.

That was my hope. I was a bit iffy about the vocals but thought the music would win out.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1302 on: September 29, 2023, 02:23:48 PM »
The good news is (hope I'm not spoiling anything)...my extra credit song is another Sentenced tune from a different period  :) so you can hear for yourself. It's from their second to last album, Cold White Light - even though it's not, as a whole, an absolute favorite (although I think it's great too), that song is so good and catchy I couldn't resist.

The Cold White Light is my favorite album from them, so I'm definitely curious which one you picked. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: September 29, 2023, 02:26:39 PM »
Here's the Extra Credit who-sent-what and playlist..

Puppies: Enslaved- Kingdom
Kingshmegland: Subsignal- Paraiso
Reaper: Scott Matthews- Passing Stranger
Lonestar: Sunburst-Symbol Of Life
Faizoff: Pain Of Salvation- Ashes
Tomislav: Chaos Addict-Solitude
Jingle.Boy: Diamond Head- The Sleeper
Lithojazzosphere: Amaran- Coming Home
Glasser: Arwen-Somewhere In The Past
Romdrums: Asia-Wildest Dreams
Jamesman: Biffy Clyro-The Joke’s On Us
Nick: Sentenced-Cross My Heart And Hope To Die
Wolfking: Brymir-For Those Who Died
Lethean: Leprous- Thorn
Soupy: Cherry Ghost-Kissing Strangers
Ariich: Lacrimas Profunere- The Kingdom Solicitude
Twosuitsluke: Send More Paramedics-The Crowd Is Crushing Me
Stadler: David Gilmour-Until We Sleep

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1th3AexsSFo8T7frPviRgq?si=6d6baf52fb8f4f9d

Online faizoff

« Reply #1304 on: September 29, 2023, 02:27:35 PM »

Faizoff: Pain Of Salvation- Used

This song feels like a medley

I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this song. I loved the Faith No More/rap styled verses. The snare had a bad ass pop to it which was addictive. The “Getting used to pain” prechorus was…ok I guess, and the chorus was really nice.At 2:42, it’s such a cool part with the solo and the steady beat behind it leading into a really cool bridge.  Love the drum sound in this song.

First song I ever heard of PoS and at the time I had very similar thoughts.

Nice to see a good high score because it looked like the worst mistake in the world sending this song and band.

Sending Pain of Salvation seems like the move of someone who’s not participated in a TAC roulette before.

Sending Pain of Salvation seems like the move of someone who’s not participated in a TAC roulette before.

Yeah, I chuckled too.  Hopefully though whoever sent them finally picked the break through song.

Or it's Lethean trying to keep up the streak of sending bands everyone knows Tim isn't a fan of.

:lol

i mean they picked Used so, probably not

Was about to post the same thing. Although you never know…

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 02:58:34 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1305 on: September 29, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »

This school operates without peer pressure!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1306 on: September 29, 2023, 02:29:44 PM »
What is the stacker? What I've been using in my roulette?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1307 on: September 29, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
What is the stacker? What I've been using in my roulette?

Yes, you're using a variation of it, as am I. A straight stacker is what Lonestar just used and Victor is now.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1308 on: September 29, 2023, 02:32:25 PM »
:lol Touche faizoff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1309 on: September 29, 2023, 02:35:53 PM »
Isn't that when you put different flavors of Pringles together and make something new?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1310 on: September 29, 2023, 02:42:12 PM »
So "Cross My Heart and Hope To Die" it is.  Definitely a good one. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1311 on: September 29, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »
Faizoff. Stay off my lawn.  :lol

Well played sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1312 on: September 29, 2023, 04:30:16 PM »
Just had my first run through of the Extra Credit playlist and...it's pretty weak!  ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: September 29, 2023, 04:31:13 PM »
Weaaaaaakkkkk
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1314 on: September 29, 2023, 04:34:27 PM »
Just had my first run through of the Extra Credit playlist and...it's pretty weak!  ;D

You don’t like an English version of Slayer writing songs about zombies!?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1315 on: September 29, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
That dude in Biffy Clyro has a lot of fucking tattoos.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: September 29, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
Doing your homework I see.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1317 on: September 29, 2023, 05:08:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm on my second listen through right now. I'd love to get this in the books tonight.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1318 on: September 29, 2023, 05:30:10 PM »

Cool that Cold White Light is your favorite, by the way. Melodically it's one of their strongest, for sure. I like it a lot too - maybe not a top 3, but it's one of the Sentenced albums I end up revisiting the most.

What's your favorite track on it?

Ariich: Lacrimas Profunere- The Kingdom Solicitude

Nice  :tup it's probably my favorite from that album

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1319 on: September 29, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »

Anything with Roy Khan Vasilis Georgiou rocks it.  This should score well with Tim, since Vasilis also provides some vocal duties for Project Aegis.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1320 on: September 29, 2023, 05:39:27 PM »
If TAC has problems with Jeff Loomis' guitar sound he should also have problems with Gus Drax's, but that is one of the songs that mostly stays out of the low range, so it might work. 

Cool that Cold White Light is your favorite, by the way. Melodically it's one of their strongest, for sure. I like it a lot too - maybe not a top 3, but it's one of the Sentenced albums I end up revisiting the most.

What's your favorite track on it?

Hard to say.  It's tempting to go with "Guilt and Regret" and "No One There" for the piano work, but "Blood & Tears" is just ridiculously catchy, it was another of my walking around campus anthems. 

Online nick_z

« Reply #1321 on: September 29, 2023, 05:41:02 PM »

:rollin

Well played indeed.

LOVE Used, by the way.

And, yes, there's definitely a nod to FNM there.

Tim, it's time to do some more POS exploration!  :biggrin: Do yourself a favor and check out the rest of Perfect Element and Remedy Lane...and I would throw in One Hour By the Concrete Lake for good measure. It was my first POS album, and it's perhaps a little more classic prog-metal, although already with a very distinctive sound/approach

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1322 on: September 29, 2023, 05:44:06 PM »
I think I want to do a math based Final Exam. Did you say we can use song titles with any math word (like shape names, or words like "add")?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1323 on: September 29, 2023, 05:46:32 PM »
Tim, it's time to do some more POS exploration!  :biggrin: Do yourself a favor and check out the rest of Perfect Element and Remedy Lane...and I would throw in One Hour By the Concrete Lake for good measure. It was my first POS album, and it's perhaps a little more classic prog-metal, although already with a very distinctive sound/approach

He seems to struggle with the side of prog metal that is more focused on atmosphere and melancholy, so I worry about them for similar but somewhat different reasons than Katatonia.   :) 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1324 on: September 29, 2023, 06:02:35 PM »

Anything with Roy Khan Vasilis Georgiou rocks it.  This should score well with Tim, since Vasilis also provides some vocal duties for Project Aegis.

If TAC has problems with Jeff Loomis' guitar sound he should also have problems with Gus Drax's, but that is one of the songs that mostly stays out of the low range, so it might work. 

Gus Drax also does the lead solo on the same Project Aegis track that Vasilis Georgiou sings on, and Sunburst is one of the three albums sent in this playlist that I have Saved in my Spotify library.
And that's previously Saved, not newly Saved..don't get all excited there, Lonestar. ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1325 on: September 29, 2023, 06:03:07 PM »
I'm finally happy with the two songs I have ready for the next round.  I tried so many different combinations and something felt missing every time until I paired these two together last night.  24 hours later and it still works, so I think my overthinking can finally end for next round.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1326 on: September 29, 2023, 06:03:41 PM »
I think I want to do a math based Final Exam. Did you say we can use song titles with any math word (like shape names, or words like "add")?

Yes, that will be fine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: September 29, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
I'm finally happy with the two songs I have ready for the next round.  I tried so many different combinations and something felt missing every time until I paired these two together last night.  24 hours later and it still works, so I think my overthinking can finally end for next round.   :lol

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1328 on: September 29, 2023, 06:09:44 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1329 on: September 29, 2023, 06:22:25 PM »