Author Topic: Sea of Stars OFFICIAL THREAD  (Read 972 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Sea of Stars OFFICIAL THREAD
« on: August 30, 2023, 12:05:25 PM »
sorry if there was already a general video games thread i should have posted in but i didn't see one, but did see threads for other games, so here goes nothing..

the gameplay, smooth as butter, and the controls? don't even get me started - intuitive as heck. i've been glued to my screen for hours on end, exploring the vast universe they've cooked up. and can we talk about the music? it's like the devs tapped into another dimension to bring us those tunes 🎶.

every corner of this game is dripping with creativity and passion, it's obvious the devs poured their hearts and souls into crafting this masterpiece. i've laughed, i've cried (yeah, i admit it), and i've been on the edge of my bean bag chair more times than i can count.

so, if you're on the fence about seat of stars, lemme be the one to push you over - dive in, my friends. this game is a journey you won't wanna miss out on. major kudos to the geniuses behind this gem
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sea of Stars OFFICIAL THREAD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 12:44:59 PM »
sorry if there was already a general video games thread i should have posted in but i didn't see one, but did see threads for other games, so here goes nothing..

It's a couple of threads below :P

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55774.0
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 12:57:53 PM »
I'm not really into gaming myself, but I'm intrigued to know what's making this game stand out. Is it one of those shooty games my son is into? Could you share what's unique about it? I'm just trying to understand what all the excitement is about.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 01:04:22 PM »
I'm not really into gaming myself, but I'm intrigued to know what's making this game stand out. Is it one of those shooty games my son is into? Could you share what's unique about it? I'm just trying to understand what all the excitement is about.

first off, the art style is just jaw-dropping. it's got this gorgeous pixel art that's so detailed and vibrant, it's like each frame could be a work of art on its own. and the way the environments change from lush forests to mysterious caves to sprawling cities - it's like you're exploring a living, breathing world that's full of surprises.

now, what really sets sea of stars apart is its innovative combat system. instead of the usual turn-based stuff, they've got this super engaging "harmonics" system. you control two characters who can combine their abilities in real-time to unleash some crazy powerful moves. it's all about timing and strategy, and let me tell you, when you pull off a perfect combo, it's the most satisfying feeling in the world.

the story, too, is a real gem. it's your classic tale of good versus evil, but with so many twists and turns that you never know what's gonna happen next. and the characters - oh man, the characters are so well-written and relatable. you actually care about them and their journeys, which is a rarity in games these days.

one thing that blew my mind is the day-night cycle and how it affects the gameplay. certain enemies and quests only appear at certain times, so you gotta plan your adventures accordingly. it adds this layer of immersion that i haven't experienced in a game for a long time.

the soundtrack is an absolute fucking masterpiece. it's like they took all the best elements of classic RPG music and gave it a modern twist. it really sets the mood for each area and makes the whole experience that much more enchanting.

now, i know some folks might be put off by the lack of voice acting, but honestly, it didn't bother me one bit. the text dialogue is so well-written that i actually enjoyed reading it and giving each character a voice in my head.

all in all, sea of stars is a true labor of love. you can tell that the developers poured their hearts and souls into this game, and it absolutely pays off. it's a unique blend of nostalgia and innovation, and it's quickly become one of my all-time favorites. if you're a fan of RPGs, or just looking for an unforgettable gaming experience, i can't recommend sea of stars enough. trust me, you won't be disappointed!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 02:08:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on why the game is so good. It sounds like there's a lot to it. I'll tell my son to check it out – he's mostly into those online shooting games (lord knows why, seems pointless to me), but maybe he'll find this one intriguing too.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on why the game is so good. It sounds like there's a lot to it. I'll tell my son to check it out – he's mostly into those online shooting games (lord knows why, seems pointless to me), but maybe he'll find this one intriguing too.

it's cool that you're thinking about recommending it to your son, even though he's more into those online shooting games. different strokes for different folks, right? i get what you mean about those shooting games seeming kinda pointless, but you know, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to gaming.

anyway ever heard of the game called Chrono Trigger? it's this classic RPG that came out way back, like in the '90s. but let me tell you, it's aged like fine wine. the thing that makes Chrono Trigger stand out is its storyline and the way your choices impact the outcome of the game. it's not just about blasting stuff – it's about diving into this rich world, meeting different characters, and making decisions that actually matter.

oh, and here's a little tidbit you might find interesting: did you know that the composer for Chrono Trigger, Yasunori Mitsuda, actually worked on another game you might have heard of? it's called "Xenogears," and it's got this awesome soundtrack too. and guess what? Yasunori Mitsuda also had a hand in composing some tracks for "Chrono Cross," which is kinda like a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger. and even Sea of Stars, which this thread is about! so, there's this musical connection that ties these games together, adding an extra layer of depth.

anyway, no pressure, but it could be worth suggesting Chrono Trigger to your son. it might broaden his horizons when it comes to gaming tastes. and who knows, you might even find yourself getting into it too – it's a game that's left a mark on many of us who've played it. happy gaming, PMS!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 05:40:59 AM »
I've started it. So far, so good. But I've got to say, I'm a little surprised by Hovering Sojourns take. I'm only about an hour and but it's very much a typical turn-based RPG, and I havent seen anything about "harmonics" or "day/night cycles". The developer's previous game, The Witness, did some genre bending stuff as it went on though, so maybe the same thing happens here.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 06:19:16 AM »
It is on both gamepass and PSplus extra, so I can play it without additional cost.

Will do so eventually. It is made by the devs of The Messenger, probably my favourite 2d game of all time. Great to see them thrive in a totally different genre as well.

But man, this year is way too loaded with excellent games.

I've started it. So far, so good. But I've got to say, I'm a little surprised by Hovering Sojourns take. I'm only about an hour and but it's very much a typical turn-based RPG, and I havent seen anything about "harmonics" or "day/night cycles". The developer's previous game, The Witness, did some genre bending stuff as it went on though, so maybe the same thing happens here.

I think you mean The Messenger. The Witness is the (also excellent) 3d puzzle game.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 07:46:21 AM »
Oh, yup!  :facepalm:

It all blurs together after a while.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 11:59:26 AM »

Just gotta say, I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to encounter "harmonics" or any real utilization of the day/night cycle.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 12:07:52 PM »

Just gotta say, I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to encounter "harmonics" or any real utilization of the day/night cycle.

i'm about 75% through it and use it all the time. you eventually get to the point where you can control the time of day at will and the puzzles start popping up more often!! as far as harmonics, have you seen combos yet? lots of them contain multiple type attacks hitting the enemy at once, makes it really great for breaking locks when enemies are casting!

also, let me just say, had a nice 8 hour session myself the other day, which resulted in a moment in game where I cried on camera for 20 minutes and was unable to read the dialogue. it's an all time video game
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »
On camera???

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 02:08:48 PM »
On camera???

when i sit down to write a review right after finishing a game, my emotions and thoughts are still fresh, and that can sometimes lead to a biased review. i might be riding the high of a great gaming session, or i might be frustrated with a difficult section, and that can color my review. so, i had this idea to start recording myself while playing games, especially new ones like sea of stars. i set up a camera to capture not only the gameplay but also my reactions, facial expressions, and comments as i play. it's a bit like doing a live commentary, but it's just for me, not for an audience.

the reason behind this is simple: i wanted to analyze how the game truly impacts me. by watching my reactions later, i can get a better sense of how the game made me feel in the moment. did it genuinely surprise me? did it frustrate me to the point of quitting? did it immerse me so deeply that i lost track of time? these are the kinds of insights i'm looking for. when i'm in the middle of a gaming session, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and not fully process my emotions and thoughts. but when i watch the footage back later, i can see my genuine reactions, both positive and negative, without the influence of the game's immediate impact. this approach allows me to give a more balanced and unbiased review. i can evaluate the game based on my initial feelings during gameplay, as well as my reflections after the fact. it's all about providing a fair and honest assessment, not just a knee-jerk reaction.

sea of stars, in particular, has been an interesting case study. it's a visually stunning game with a captivating storyline, but it also has its fair share of challenging moments. by reviewing my recorded gameplay and reactions, i can weigh the pros and cons more thoughtfully, taking into account both the game's strengths and areas where it falls short. in the end, i believe this method helps me produce more objective and comprehensive reviews. it's not about being overly critical or overly positive, but about presenting a well-rounded perspective on the gaming experience. i'd encourage fellow gamers and reviewers to give it a try if they're looking to enhance their review process.  :coolio

edit: to try and clarify further, it's kind of like how Lebron James watches footage of him and his team playing. by watching his own game, he gains insights into both his strengths and weaknesses

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 07:02:40 PM »
now, what really sets sea of stars apart is its innovative combat system. instead of the usual turn-based stuff, they've got this super engaging "harmonics" system. you control two characters who can combine their abilities in real-time to unleash some crazy powerful moves. it's all about timing and strategy, and let me tell you, when you pull off a perfect combo, it's the most satisfying feeling in the world.

This reminds me of a game I played a while back called Magicka which allowed you to combine spells, it was pretty overwhelming at first but once you nailed it, it was so satisfying.

I've heard a lot of great stuff about Sea of Stars, I haven't had a chance to play it but it's on my shortlist.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »

This reminds me of a game I played a while back called Magicka which allowed you to combine spells, it was pretty overwhelming at first but once you nailed it, it was so satisfying.

I've heard a lot of great stuff about Sea of Stars, I haven't had a chance to play it but it's on my shortlist.

It is really nothing like that. 10 hours in there are like five combo abilities combined based on who's in the party, nothing even close to being in real time or being mix and match. And they are not even that powerful.

Maybe things change later on but 10+ hours in I've got NO IDEA what HS is even talking about.

Though good to here that the story gets better. The writing has barely raised an eyebrow for me, let alone shedding tears.

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 07:33:39 AM »
it's ok my friend, we can agree to disagree. i will cry your tears for you since this game is so beautiful
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2023, 08:27:48 AM »
finished the final boss last night, the fleshmang, and i gotta say it was one of the most intense final boss sequences i've gone through in a while. plus the ending scenes and cinematics had me absolutely doubled over in hysterical tears. just what an incredible story. wow!

regarding the decision to record myself while playing to get a better feel for the game and ultimately write a review: i thought it would be an interesting experiment, and i have to say, it turned out to be quite insightful. i just want to stress that this review is purely for my own personal use. i won't be sharing it with anyone, so i can be as brutally honest as i want without worrying about hurting anyone's feelings. i believe in fair and honest criticism, and that's what i aim to provide here.

as for the game itself, sea of stars was a visually stunning experience. the art style and graphics are truly breathtaking. watching the recorded footage allowed me to appreciate the small details that i might have missed during live gameplay. the way the water shimmers in the moonlight, the intricate design of the characters, and the lush environments all contribute to a visually captivating world. the gameplay, on the other hand, was a bit of a mixed bag. there were moments when the combat felt smooth and intuitive, and i could see the potential for a deep and engaging system. however, there were also times when it felt clunky and unrefined. it was interesting to watch myself struggle with certain mechanics and realize where the game could benefit from improvements. one thing in particular that really stood out to me while reviewing the footage was the pacing of the story. sea of stars has a rich narrative, but it didn't always hold my attention during gameplay. watching my own reactions, i could see when I became disengaged or bored with certain story sequences. this insight will be valuable when I write about the game's storytelling in my review.

another thing i did before putting the final touches on my review (sorry, not spilling the beans  :censored) was heading into the sea of stars discord to get some of the "peoples" input on this game. there was one quote in particular i found really interesting.

it read as follows, and the posters name was jason coffee

Sea of Stars is all vibes and game feel. It's the Mario RPG to Chained Echoes' FF6.

really makes you think huh? i have to say, i think i agree mostly with mr coffee, however, i would change one piece of his quote to perfectly sum of the experience of sea of stars: it's not all game feel. it's all mouth feel. because you can taste the tears you're crying while playing.

i know because i have the archival footage to verify
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2023, 07:51:15 PM »
man, can't stop thinking about this game. even a day later after i beat it. what a journey..
Welcome to the Forums!