Author Topic: JLB - "I can't sing like that anymore"  (Read 14964 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: JLB - "I can't sing like that anymore"
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2023, 12:38:42 AM »
DT is still my fave band, they keep making great albums, but I 100% agree with Trav86. And I don't think I ever known another band that continued 14 years at their peak.

Absolutely spot on. Trav nailed it. While there were relative “dips” in that time period (hey, they can’t all be zingers) their peak period was in the time frame he referenced. Never thought about it in those terms, but it’s an amazing accomplishment when you think about it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2023, 01:30:38 AM »
Not to get too off topic, but gmillerdrake makes a good point.  I think there are different eras of the band that fans consider those “golden years”. I realize there is the “big four” which is sort of the majority consensus. But for me, I would expand it and just say ‘92-‘06 were the peak of this band. While I like, and sometimes love, stuff they’ve done since then. They just were never really the same after that. Or maybe I changed. If someone were to ask me where to start, I would just point them to anything during that period, then just keep going. Ok, maybe not FII for their first listen. But you know what I mean.
So everything went downhill once JLB grew a beard?  ;D

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2023, 03:01:35 AM »
Not to get too off topic, but gmillerdrake makes a good point.  I think there are different eras of the band that fans consider those “golden years”. I realize there is the “big four” which is sort of the majority consensus. But for me, I would expand it and just say ‘92-‘06 were the peak of this band. While I like, and sometimes love, stuff they’ve done since then. They just were never really the same after that. Or maybe I changed. If someone were to ask me where to start, I would just point them to anything during that period, then just keep going. Ok, maybe not FII for their first listen. But you know what I mean.

Well, i think he had some facial hair during the FII tour at some point  :lol

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2023, 06:10:49 AM »
I am on the same page as you. Of course there are some contexts in life where you shouldn't accept anything less than the best, and hold yourselves and others to the highest standard, but if you do that all the time, you'll probably just bum yourself out. :lol

Oh I am in no way saying that we or the band should lower our standards! What I am saying is that yes, there is a new normal, and that in order to continue to hold up to a certain standard, that new normal needs to be acknowledged, even embraced.

A singer should always sing what they sing best. Here I go again, I know but please indulge me another opera analogy as both forms of singing are demanding and require an excellent command of technique and smart choices in order to sustain a thriving career: An opera singer typically will sing one type of role when they're young, a different type of role in the middle, and yet a different type later on. With each transition, they remain the same voice type, but take on roles with a different set of demands.

I'll use soprano Natalie Dessay as an example. She is a high coloratura soprano who became famous for singing the role of Olympia the Doll in The Tales of Hoffman. The role is written with high notes above high C, and her aria (which I've studied) is written with a high E flat (Eb6). She always performed the aria by ending it with a sustained Ab6! 😱

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/abFJyb3cNv8

Ultra high notes were her wheelhouse, her claim to fame. As her career progressed, she was a regular Queen of the Night - a role that she sang as her voice achieved weight and drama, but still requires rapid-fired high F's (F6). As she aged, she was singing lower, heavier roles like Violetta in La Traviata (high D) and eventually switched out of high coloratura repertoire entirely, switching to the mid-range lyric soprano roles in Hoffman and The Magic Flute instead (Pamina, another role I've studied, is only written to go up to a B flat). So, long story short, Ms. Dessay has not dropped her high standard by not singing the roles with all the craziest high notes that she became famous for, she is merely embracing her new normal in order to continually achieve that standard.

So if you can compare Ms. Dessay's and James's careers (and bear with me, this may only make sense to me and if so, apologies), I&W/Awake was his Tales of Hoffman era, Octavarium was his Queen of the Night, and Astonishing/today is his switch from the Queen to Pamina. Dessay is no less a great soprano for not singing notes above high C anymore or dropping the Doll and the Queen of the Night to embrace a different set of roles. She has simply made a series of smart moves to sustain her career. James can make similar choices and would still be the same great tenor.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 06:39:05 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2023, 06:44:55 AM »

Christ. That goes right through me 🤭

But seriously, amazing talent!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2023, 06:55:09 AM »

Well, i think he had some facial hair during the FII tour at some point  :lol

If he would just shave he could sing better!  :lol
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2023, 07:07:53 AM »

Christ. That goes right through me 🤭

But seriously, amazing talent!

Yes, she's amazing! 😁 One of the GOAT's for sure. And fwiw, I have always held James in the highest esteem among the greatest singers on earth.

As for my Angel of Music, I really do believe his struggles can be alleviated with technical and repertoire adjustments. When he stops trying to sing the early material and extra high notes, and sings what he sings best now, I guarantee you that the high larynx and registration issues (which absolutely affect facility with pitch) will mostly if not entirely go away.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2023, 07:49:33 AM »
i've been a huge fan of dream theater since the early 2000s, and i gotta say, james labrie's vocals have gone through some changes over the years. back in the day, his voice was like a powerhouse - hitting those high notes and carrying the complex melodies like a champ. the dude had serious range and control.

but, you know, time doesn't spare anyone. as the years rolled on, i've noticed a noticeable drop in his vocal quality. it's not like he's lost it all, but you can hear the strain and fatigue in his voice, especially when he tries to hit those high notes that used to come so effortlessly. his tone has also changed - it's less smooth and more raspy now.

i can't blame the guy, though. singing for a band like dream theater is no joke, and it's only natural that his voice would change with age and all the wear and tear from touring. plus, those high-energy performances night after night take their toll.

it's not all bad news, though. labrie still brings a ton of emotion to his singing, and he's adapted his style to work with his current vocal capabilities. the band has also adjusted their music to accommodate his changing voice, which is pretty cool.

all in all, while his vocals might not be what they once were, i still got mad respect for james labrie. he's a rock legend, and his journey through the years is a testament to the reality of getting older. ain't none of us staying 20 forever, right?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »
i've been a huge fan of dream theater since the early 2000s, and i gotta say, james labrie's vocals have gone through some changes over the years. back in the day, his voice was like a powerhouse - hitting those high notes and carrying the complex melodies like a champ. the dude had serious range and control.

Even in the I&W days, his control was never that great.

He has always been inconsistent. Always. Now, he's had some great tours, most notably the ToT, 8V, and DT12 tours. But what James you get at any particular concert THROUGHOUT their career has always been a crapshoot.

And I love James, but let's not wax poetic about "back in the day". It's simply not true.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2023, 08:21:30 AM »

He has always been inconsistent. Always. Now, he's had some great tours, most notably the ToT, 8V, and DT12 tours. But what James you get at any particular concert THROUGHOUT their career has always been a crapshoot.

And I love James, but let's not wax poetic about "back in the day". It's simply not true.

I love how "the 2000's" was "back in the day".  :) :) :) :)   (Just busting on you, TheHoveringSojourn!!! All in fun from an old-timer!)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
The thing is, and we talked about it in the Dreamsonic Thread...at the show, James never sounds too bad. It's all in the volume and excitement.

I remember going to the Scenes show in Boston in 2000 and thinking the show was great, but when I finally got the actual show, James was practically unlistenable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gborland

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »
those high-energy performances night after night take their toll.

Don't think DT have done a "high-energy" performance in at least 15 years.  ;D
Graham Borland

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
those high-energy performances night after night take their toll.

Don't think DT have done a "high-energy" performance in at least 15 years.  ;D

gotta admit, tho, i miss those days.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2023, 07:08:18 PM »
I will continue to go to every DT concert I can because as I said…..I utterly love the band. I’ll cheer and take home great memories from the concerts…..but the hey day of DT is long in the past.

This really depends on what you consider the "heyday"! If you're an early 90's, I&W/Awake-era purist, then yeah maybe that's a valid opinion for you. But why look at it in such bleak, all-or-nothing terms?

I think we're looking at here is a new era. And it wouldn't be the first new era for this band. Why not see the present day as a new beginning? Sure, it won't sound like Awake. But if every album sounded the same, we'd get bored. If they never had moved on from that same old formula, amazing as it was, then we wouldn't have all the other flavors of amazing. We wouldn't have Black Clouds and Silver Linings. We wouldn't have Octavarium. Or even Scenes From A Memory.

So now we are in the era of View and Astonishing. This is a fine thing. If this is where the band's creativity is heading, and what James is capable of singing now, then I'm here for it. 🥂

I am on the same page as you. Of course there are some contexts in life where you shouldn't accept anything less than the best, and hold yourselves and others to the highest standard, but if you do that all the time, you'll probably just bum yourself out. :lol

When it comes to Dream Theater, my personal approach is more along the lines of, "I am so happy to have this band in my life and so thankful that they are still making awesome music almost 40 years in. That is an exceedingly rare thing these days." Do I think that the band's best period is behind them and we're probably never getting anything on par with the "Big Four" ever again? Yes. Do I worry about it? Nope!

All of this.

Big agreement here. I saw Genesis two years ago and Phil wasn't great but the show was still amazing. I never thought I would get that opportunity. I'm sure there's some 12 year old somewhere that is 2 or 3 years away from discovering Dream Theater and I hope they get the opportunity to see them even if the show isn't as flawless as when I saw them in 2011 (which is when I think they were in their "heyday")

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2023, 07:13:37 PM »
DT has never really been about high energy shows. It's more about execution of really difficult parts. They are not Pantera.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2023, 09:00:07 PM »
I don't really get why the impulse is to compare Dream Theater to something like Pantera or Iron Maiden when discussing on stage energy and general stage presence. There are plenty of artists in their genre who have a similar style of music and put on a much more engaging stage performance. Between the Buried and Me is the example that sticks out to me, even Haken has brought a lot of energy the last couple times I've seen them. There is definitely more of a spectrum of how engaging an artist can be on stage and it doesn't always have to be at the extreme level of some of the more bombastic metal bands out there.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2023, 12:29:24 PM »
I don't think you'd get many to disagree that Maiden is a gold standard when it comes to stage presence, so I get why they would be mentioned in discussions about stage presence. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »
I really do believe his struggles can be alleviated with technical and repertoire adjustments. When he stops trying to sing the early material and extra high notes, and sings what he sings best now, I guarantee you that the high larynx and registration issues (which absolutely affect facility with pitch) will mostly if not entirely go away.

First, thanks for the detailed description above. The way you looked at the eras as that singer aged, was very clear and makes a lot of sense. I am not a professionally trained vocalist (I do sing), but my wife is. And she has said similar things about JLB. I agree with the quoted above. I think JLB has to spend a lot of time with the band and modify how he sings everything to fit where his voice is now. Yes, he needs to work at it (I am sure he will), and once he's vocally strong, find the baseline and work from there.

BUT, the big question is -- will people accept what JLB's "new normal" is. *I* certainly will, because I want to see JLB have consistently strong performances.

However...

This point by TAC is absolutely spot-on. James is just not consistent. He never has been. And I'm not sure, even with modified the songs to fit his "new normal," whatever that might ultimately end up being, that the consistency will improve. Maybe it will. We just don't know. Other factors are in play live -- getting a cold, whether the air is dry or moist, what he's eating, how much sleep he gets, etc. Hell, air conditioning on a tour bus is absolutely BRUTAL for singers. Etc., etc., etc.

So TAC is absolutely correct. Even James pre-vocal chord injury was extremely inconsistent live. I don't see a lot of proof that he'll all of a sudden become consistent because he's singing in a more comfortable spot in his register. Time will tell. Fingers crossed. As a fan of his, I really hope once he puts in all the work, he sounds awesome, and is consistent, and all this stuff can go away.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »
Yeah... it even mentions that in the Lifting Shadows book. The book actually mentions that his tendency to sing sharp* was a mark against him during auditions.

My take is that his sheer power used to mask it better. Just like an athlete who has dodgy fundamentals but still makes brilliant play after brilliant play due to their innate physical gifts.

Edit: *Flat, sorry. Derrick Oliver (who signed DT) explicitly references being concerned with LaBrie's tendency to sing flat, but was convinced by Prater that James could he coached through it. It's all on the first two pages of the "Face the Bitter Fight" chapter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:34:48 PM by Skeever »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2023, 06:05:36 PM »
I don't really get why the impulse is to compare Dream Theater to something like Pantera or Iron Maiden when discussing on stage energy and general stage presence. There are plenty of artists in their genre who have a similar style of music and put on a much more engaging stage performance. Between the Buried and Me is the example that sticks out to me, even Haken has brought a lot of energy the last couple times I've seen them. There is definitely more of a spectrum of how engaging an artist can be on stage and it doesn't always have to be at the extreme level of some of the more bombastic metal bands out there.

How old are the guys in the Buried and Me and Haken?

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
I don't think you'd get many to disagree that Maiden is a gold standard when it comes to stage presence, so I get why they would be mentioned in discussions about stage presence.

they certainly are my gold standard  :tup
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2023, 06:46:11 AM »
james labrie is undoubtedly the greatest singer of all time.
those who claim he sings flat are completely mistaken.
his voice is pure magic
his stage presence is remarkable
he dominates the stage with confidence...

his stage banter is both humorous and captivating, keeping the audience engaged throughout...

to the haters, i say: open your ears... truly appreciate the incredible talent of james labrie, who rightfully holds the title of the king of singing!

...And let's remember, we all age, and that's just a natural part of life...
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2023, 06:48:40 AM »
^ James LaBrie in the HOUSE!!  Glad you could join us, James.  We're a good group, if a tad critical now and then.  But welcome!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2023, 07:03:28 AM »
^ James LaBrie in the HOUSE!!  Glad you could join us, James.  We're a good group, if a tad critical now and then.  But welcome!

:rollin
Can't we find the minds

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2023, 12:59:33 PM »
OK, I'll spill.

I'm a JLB simp.

As a young man I was always a big music enthusiast. Some would say that I was passionate about music, and my love for progressive rock and metal ran deep. In the 90s, I had listened to countless bands and artists, but one day, my life took an unexpected turn thanks to the James LaBrie Mullmuzzler album.

It all began when I stumbled upon a dusty old record store in the heart of her town. While browsing the shelves, I noticed an album cover that caught my eye. It featured a striking image of a man shouting in another man's ear, and a sticker that referenced the legendary Dream Theater vocalist. The album was titled "Mullmuzzler" and had an intriguing aura about it. I decided to take a chance and purchased it, even though I knew nothing about JLB or Mullmuzzler at the time.

As I played the album for the first time, the music poured into my ears like a cascade of passion. The combination of James LaBrie's powerful vocals and the prog metal instrumentals left me in awe. I was captivated by the lyrical depth and the way the music seemed to tell a story of its own. I thought Beezlebubba was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard.

An intern
In a silhouette
Gets DNA
From the president
Let me tell you...
I guarantee it
He's got his
Yes senator
The bill's fat...
It feels good...
I didn't mean that
It's for the children
Don't forget it

Cause slick Willy
He's selling his jive
Slick Willy
He's taking a dive
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy

Oh Arafat
And Albright
America
A sad sight
Let me tell you...
I guarantee it
He's got his

You might also like
Guardian Angel
MullMuzzler
Shores Of Avalon
MullMuzzler
His Voice
MullMuzzler

We've got that we deserved
It's much too late
To go back
We were taken for the ride...
So many tried to say
We have only taken
What we've sown
And when time passed
It had grown
Into

Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Bubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba

While the country
Is burning down
We're being sold out
In the big town
Have they got yours?
Cause I guarantee you...
They've got mine

Now slick Willy
He's selling his jive
Slick Willy
Is taking a dive
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy

It's much too late
To go back
So many tried to say
We have only taken
What we've sown
And when time passed
It had grown
Into

Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Bubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba

I soon discovered that there were multiple JLB albums, such as Explorer's Club, as well as another Mullmuzzler album. Each with its own unique charm. I immersed myself in the music, spending countless hours dissecting the lyrics, deciphering the melodies, and connecting with the emotions conveyed through the songs. The music became my refuge, my companion through both joyous and challenging times.

My newfound passion for the Mullmuzzler albums led me to connect with like-minded individuals in online music communities. But then, nothing was more mindblowing then when I finally heard James LaBrie's work with Dream Theater. Up until the mid 00s, I had known about Dream Theater from the sticker on the Mullmuzzler CD, but I had never chanced upon their music. And that dusty record store I mentioned never had any DT in stock.

Finally, with the dawn of youtube, it was all at my fingertips. I wound up buying a ton of Dream Theater CDs on Amazon.com. And I have never looked back. But still, Mullmuzzler 1 is very special to me, being my first JLB album.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Skeever

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2023, 07:28:24 AM »
I have never heard of anyone getting into DT through albums like Mullmuzzler and Explorer's Club. That is definitely a unique path, one that could only occur in one of those old preowned record stops that have a lot of weird used inventory.

I won't lie - JLB was a hurdle for me, initially. I love his voice now, but it was an acquired taste. His solo albums never did much for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2023, 07:30:50 AM »

It all began when I stumbled upon a dusty old record store in the heart of her town.

Who's town?

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2023, 07:58:29 AM »

It all began when I stumbled upon a dusty old record store in the heart of her town.

Who's town?

JLB's dog, Faythe
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2023, 10:58:55 AM »
Those lyrics aged like milk.  :\
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »

Who's town?

Not sure how that got in there!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2023, 01:36:47 PM »
I'm happy it was being discussed at least, but whatever fix the band does, they need to do a better job than the last couple of legs. It is going to have to be addressed.

The question is would they replace him with a younger voice that can deliver the old material as it should? These are important to be able to sing as written. I can't see the band saying they will write songs around the decline of James and be ok with not performing them or having him sing them differently. Unless they're ok with being that old band going through the motions or conceding to a lower standard.

Offline HOF

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2023, 09:41:59 PM »

An intern
In a silhouette
Gets DNA
From the president
Let me tell you...
I guarantee it
He's got his
Yes senator
The bill's fat...
It feels good...
I didn't mean that
It's for the children
Don't forget it

Cause slick Willy
He's selling his jive
Slick Willy
He's taking a dive
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy

Oh Arafat
And Albright
America
A sad sight
Let me tell you...
I guarantee it
He's got his

You might also like
Guardian Angel
MullMuzzler
Shores Of Avalon
MullMuzzler
His Voice
MullMuzzler

It's much too late
To go back
So many tried to say
We have only taken
What we've sown
And when time passed
It had grown
Into

Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Bubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba

While the country
Is burning down
We're being sold out
In the big town
Have they got yours?
Cause I guarantee you...
They've got mine

Now slick Willy
He's selling his jive
Slick Willy
Is taking a dive
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy
Slick Willy

It's much too late
To go back
So many tried to say
We have only taken
What we've sown
And when time passed
It had grown
Into

Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Bubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba
Beelzebubba

Best part of the song, IMO.

On a serious note, I think that first Mullmuzzler album was pretty great for the most part.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2023, 07:36:15 AM »
Just want to put out there that I am a big fan of both Mullmuzzler albums. I think they’re really underrated.
Can't we find the minds

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2023, 08:33:07 AM »
Just want to put out there that I am a big fan of both Mullmuzzler albums. I think they’re really underrated.

They're also pretty unique in style. I love the following solo albums under James' own name, but as great as they are, they're "just" prog metal albums. Especially the latest two - again, great albums,  but you could swap some songs here and there between the two albums and no one would be the wiser.

The two Mullmuzzler were something unique, not like Dream Theater, not like another prog metal band, it was just something crafted specifically to let James shine. I think also they both complement each other quite nicely - the first has the best songs, but the second as a whole album is overall better and more consistent.

And Beelzebubba is possibly the worst song (or if you prefer, least good) on James' entire solo discography, sorry  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2023, 08:36:41 AM »
I really dig (most) of the two Mullmuzzler albums. I just struggle with the production. Everything sounds like a demo.

I'd LOVE to hear those albums with the production of EoP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com