Author Topic: JLB - "I can't sing like that anymore"  (Read 14953 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: JLB - "I can't sing like that anymore"
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2023, 12:28:45 PM »
And under no circumstances does this fan think that Russell Allen is a move in that direction. 

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »

Every time I wonder about it, I feel like JLB can't be replaced just like that...Imagine from the other members perspective :
1) He has been there since I&W, his voice is the only known by most, like axl rose for gnr.
2) They are old and probably don't imagine changing their habits.
3) Maybe they think the chances someone not too young can do the work, at this age, without being a diva etc...
4) Low risk to wreck another part of the DT fanbase
5) Maybe they like the band writes album, then singer rehearses via webcam :D
6) True friendship over opinion

Cons :
-They hit a technical limitation like that
-Even if it's not like anselmo at the end of pantera, he seems not a lot physically with the band outside of tours.
-He puts W and Wo before voyels :D

All very valid points.

Let's remember our community here is a small world. For every user that posts that they can live without Pull Me Under, there are dozens of fans at concerts that will roar when the song starts. True, JLB has his fair share of critics but there would be an equally large (I daresay WAY LARGER) number of people that would jump ship without him. I am one of those, for sure - I would not "ragequit" the band if James were to go, but they'd better put a total and complete masterpiece of an album to keep me interested.

Also, which band with this longevity, and this stability with the lead singer, changed vocalist and remained at the top of their game? with due proportions, look at Judas Priest, they brought in a guy that could do (and scream) anything Halford could do and even more, and the fanbase still dwindled and people wanted Rob back anyway.

There's no scenario, at this point of their carreer, where DT changes vocalist and do even better than before. Best scenario? they play more or less the same venues they usually do with less people in attendance, and fans for a while enjoy the novelty of hearing Take the Time and Voices live like it's 1994 again. But replacing James would bring DT into "bands that still go on replacing members here and there while there's still people who want to see them" territory, the twilight of their carreer.

EDIT: Another aspect to consider, who would even replace James? prog metal is a small world, there is no singer out there who could potentially join DT and cause an earthquake of excitement and sales. Maybe Russell Allen, but still DT won't become bigger stars overnight. So they either get an unknown talent like Priest did with Ripper, a guy no one knows, or an estabilished singer from the genre. In neither of these two cases the prog world "breaks" and everyone jumps on DT's bandwagon.

When I saw Dream Theater people were dancing in the aisels during pull me under. The security people kept having to force people to go back to their seats.
When I come to dreamtheaterforums.org it's 10 pages of complaining about James and calling on him to be replaced.

No wonder these guys all shut down their "official" forums long ago.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »
When I come to dreamtheaterforums.org it's 10 pages of complaining about James and calling on him to be replaced.

No wonder these guys all shut down their "official" forums long ago.

Yes, because truly that's all this forum is about.   :\

Your exaggeration conveniently ignores everything except those "10 pages," as well as the positive things said in support of James.  If you feel some of that discussion is negative, you might better spend your time contributing something positive to that conversation and having a discussion rather than criticizing a community you've been part of for a few days.

And, no, that isn't why any of the members of DT shut down their official forums long ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »
Ape

There is a lot of great comradery on this forum as well as some deep music discussions and in some cases some personal ones that always show support. I have only been here 2 years but this is a great place to discover new music, partake in some fun roulettes and share opinions agreed or challenged but always respectful. Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of great stuff here.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2023, 01:52:14 PM »
Shut up, newbie.  We don't like you either. 

I kid, I kid.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2023, 01:54:25 PM »
Yeah, I know, but I like you all!. :heart

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2023, 01:56:59 PM »
I'm going to try and be more positive. I admit I did not join with noble intentions. I had heard this place was very negative from another group I'm a part of, and rushed here to defend the band. When I finally got here I found more or less what I expected, lots of criticizing the band going completely off the rails, tons of negativity, and basically the mentality of sportsradio the day after the football team loses.

But since I'm still here, I will try a different approach, or leave altogether. I will not criticize the mods anymore for letting bashing slide and I will not resort to just trolling when things seem hopeless for those who still enjoying liking DT.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
When I finally got here I found more or less what I expected, lots of criticizing the band going completely off the rails, tons of negativity, and basically the mentality of sportsradio the day after the football team loses.

links? i'm relatively new myself but haven't seen any of this. i enjoy DT a lot but i also enjoy eating popcorn so please point me to it!  :corn
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2023, 02:00:23 PM »
I'm going to try and be more positive. I admit I did not join with noble intentions. I had heard this place was very negative from another group I'm a part of, and rushed here to defend the band. When I finally got here I found more or less what I expected, lots of criticizing the band going completely off the rails, tons of negativity, and basically the mentality of sportsradio the day after the football team loses.

But since I'm still here, I will try a different approach, or leave altogether. I will not criticize the mods anymore for letting bashing slide and I will not resort to just trolling when things seem hopeless for those who still enjoying liking DT.

Woah!. You shouldn't have to TRY. I didn't realize there was a DT mafia...  :lol

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »
When I finally got here I found more or less what I expected, lots of criticizing the band going completely off the rails, tons of negativity, and basically the mentality of sportsradio the day after the football team loses.

links? i'm relatively new myself but haven't seen any of this. i enjoy DT a lot but i also enjoy eating popcorn so please point me to it!  :corn

No, this is just attempting to bait me into negativity and trolling, 10 minutes into my pledge to do better

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2023, 02:34:09 PM »
I had heard this place was very negative from another group I'm a part of

Well, don't believe the hype, because it isn't true.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2023, 02:36:24 PM »

WE will all defend the band. I bought my ticket and loved the show, but like when a football team plays, it's ok to say the QB threw a bad pick or something like that. We're just talking, shooting the shit.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »

No, this is just attempting to bait me into negativity and trolling, 10 minutes into my pledge to do better

requesting a link to aforementioned "off the rails, negative sportsradio" isn't baiting, i was just interested in seeing it myself! seems like it might not actually exist tho since it is possible to have a negative opinion of something without it being off the rails negative
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2023, 06:15:46 PM »

What do you mean by this? Judging by your other post about DT's alleged politics, which was chock full of negative stereotypes-- about Jews in particular-- I would say you are on thin ice but just curious as to your intentions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2023, 06:18:27 AM »

You do you, of course; I'd never tell you what to do or not, but if you're interested, and have an open mind, join the fun.  I know I've experienced a couple different communities more or less related to the band, and this is BY FAR the most civil, the most intelligent, and the most.... giving, for lack of a better word, of any I've been to.  There is at least one, maybe two - we're not going to name names or provide links - that in my not so humble experience, SEVERELY crossed the line (lines?) over the years.  I've only once, ever, contemplated notifying someone off-line of activity on-line and it was at one of those sites.

In contrast, here, these are my friends.  Not my "internet friends", my FRIENDS.  We meet.  We break bread.  We attend each other's weddings, funerals and other life events.  There are people here that I talk to regularly and we haven't mentioned "Dream Theater" in years, save maybe to coordinate concert meetings.  Some I don't agree with on all - or many - "issues", but I've come to learn that differing opinions aren't character flaws. 

I think you'll find what you bring here.  If you come in with a negative attitude looking for conflict, you'll find it, because you reap what you sow.  If you come in looking for good people that won't always pull punches or tell you what you want to hear, then you'll find that too, and maybe, just maybe, come out with some relationships that will enrich your life.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:34:12 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2023, 06:27:52 AM »
Amen, Brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2023, 06:34:43 AM »

What do you mean by this? Judging by your other post about DT's alleged politics, which was chock full of negative stereotypes-- about Jews in particular-- I would say you are on thin ice but just curious as to your intentions.

Hello There,

Looking back, I recognize that my responses may have come across as trolling, and for that, I apologize. It wasn't the right way to handle the situation, and I regret my actions.

In the heat of the moment, while defending the band from criticism, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me. Rather than engaging in a constructive and mature dialogue, I resorted to a less than appropriate approach. I now see that this was a mistake, and I'm committed to learning from it.

Also... I want to stress that I hold the Jewish community in extremely high regard and had no intention of causing offense or implying anything negative. It's crucial to me that this is made clear, and I apologize for any misunderstandings or hurt feelings that may have arisen.

As for the locked thread, I respect the decision made by the moderators, and I won't discuss the specifics, as per their wishes. Moving forward, I aim to approach discussions with more thoughtfulness, empathy, and understanding, ensuring that my words and actions reflect the respect and consideration everyone deserves.

If you'd like to discuss the specifics of the Politics of Dream Theater thread, or anything else from my trolling days, please add it to my inbox.

You do you, of course; I'd never tell you what to do or not, but if you're interested, and have an open mind, join the fun.  I know I've experienced a couple different communities more or less related to the band, and this is BY FAR the most civil, the most intelligent, and the most.... giving, for lack of a better word, of any I've been to.  There is at least one, maybe two - we're not going to name names or provide links - that in my not so humble experience, SEVERELY crossed the line (lines?) over the years.  I've only once, ever, contemplated notifying someone off-line of activity on-line and it was at one of those sites.

In contrast, here, these are my friends.  Not my "internet friends", my FRIENDS.  We meet.  We break bread.  We attend each other's weddings, funerals and other life events.  There are people here that I talk to regularly and we haven't mentioned "Dream Theater" in years, save maybe to coordinate concert meetings.  Some I don't agree with on all - or many - "issues", but I try to remember that differing opinions aren't character flaws. 

I think you'll find what you bring here.  If you come in with a negative attitude looking for conflict, you'll find it, because you reap what you sow.  If you come in looking for good people that won't always pull punches or tell you what you want to hear, then you'll find that too, and maybe, just maybe, come out with some relationships that will enrich your life.

Yes... I recognize that now. I will try a different approach.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »
Why would someone actually join the forum to cause negativity? Is this a "see I told you so" situation? Give the forum a chance or be gone, JEEZ!  :facepalm:

Offline Trav86

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »
Why would someone actually join the forum to cause negativity? Is this a "see I told you so" situation? Give the forum a chance or be gone, JEEZ!  :facepalm:

Yes. And then turn around and tell everyone instead of just moving on. It’s all attention seeking.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2023, 01:28:23 PM »

That is the plan!

Yes. And then turn around and tell everyone instead of just moving on. It’s all attention seeking.

I'm deeply sorry that, in being sorry, I have found new ways to offend. Let's please keep this on topic, and feel free to slide into my DMs if you'd like to hash it out privately.  :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
I will not resort to just trolling when things seem hopeless for those who still enjoying liking DT.
I mean, I get you, but everyone here is enjoying and liking DT. We just get more caught up in the inside baseball and analysis, and we've been in the fandom for so long that we can discuss changes we have observed over a long period of time, without giving the backstory of the history of our thoughts and opinions to each other, because we know those thoughts and opinions. I know what everyone here thought about every tour after ADTOE because I was literally here discussing these tours with them, and some of these guys go 10+ years beyond that. We all share that place of awareness that Dream Theater is a great band in history because we're here on a DT-related forum 20, 15, 10 years later discussing them. If you're just coming in here, you'll read those stories of how much we really love Dream Theater when we get sappy, just not every day and in every discussion :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Glasser

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2023, 03:11:13 PM »

That is the plan!

I'm deeply sorry that, in being sorry, I have found new ways to offend. Let's please keep this on topic, and feel free to slide into my DMs if you'd like to hash it out privately.  :metal

There's nothing to hash out, its all good, enjoy the forum, its what you make of it. I truly love it and the peeps here.  :metal  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2023, 06:57:03 AM »
I will not resort to just trolling when things seem hopeless for those who still enjoying liking DT.
I mean, I get you, but everyone here is enjoying and liking DT. We just get more caught up in the inside baseball and analysis, and we've been in the fandom for so long that we can discuss changes we have observed over a long period of time, without giving the backstory of the history of our thoughts and opinions to each other, because we know those thoughts and opinions. I know what everyone here thought about every tour after ADTOE because I was literally here discussing these tours with them, and some of these guys go 10+ years beyond that. We all share that place of awareness that Dream Theater is a great band in history because we're here on a DT-related forum 20, 15, 10 years later discussing them. If you're just coming in here, you'll read those stories of how much we really love Dream Theater when we get sappy, just not every day and in every discussion :heart

I agree with this post a lot.  :)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
I think the darkest eras of this forum were mine portnoy getting Tom DeLonged and the astonishing :D
Did those last long, I doubt it
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »
I think the darkest eras of this forum were mine portnoy getting Tom DeLonged and the astonishing :D

I'm not 1000% sure what that means, but it got a laugh out loud nonetheless.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2023, 10:34:31 AM »
Well well... It looks as if someone has taken over my job here  :lol :rollin

Thanks, actually. It was becoming a bit of a chore.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2023, 11:04:38 AM »
Confidentially, I just saw this posted online:

DREAM THEATER's JAMES LABRIE Blasts Singers Who Lip Sync, Says Backing Tracks Are 'Acceptable' When Used 'Creatively'

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theaters-james-labrie-blasts-singers-who-lip-sync-says-backing-tracks-are-acceptable-when-used-creatively#lnga7lm7c7iaeufz9l%0A
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2023, 11:08:26 AM »

I remember a lot of people being pretty happy when Mike left. I do think it was misguided, a lot of fans were just blaming Mike for what they perceived to be a dip in quality of the band, and MP was an easy target since he was always putting himself out there. In retrospect it's a bit silly. But I remember MP one thing back in the band shortly after leaving and I cannot imagine what would have happened to the fandom if they had really let him back in because a lot of people were really excited to see how the band would grow out from under MP's thumb.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »

I remember a lot of people being pretty happy when Mike left. I do think it was misguided, a lot of fans were just blaming Mike for what they perceived to be a dip in quality of the band, and MP was an easy target since he was always putting himself out there. In retrospect it's a bit silly. But I remember MP one thing back in the band shortly after leaving and I cannot imagine what would have happened to the fandom if they had really let him back in because a lot of people were really excited to see how the band would grow out from under MP's thumb.

I was definitely one of those people that thought it was a good move for the band to go without him. I wasn’t a big fan of SC and BC&SL (at the time) and like you said, I blamed Mike. I felt ADTOE was a return to form, and I thought the band was headed in a better direction.  Looking back now, there is something missing since he’s been gone. I’ve mentioned before that it took several albums for me to notice it. Portnoy was constantly pushing to try new things and find inspiration in other places. It started to cause some unbalanced albums. The last three with him were “peaks and valleys” types but man were the peaks fucking huge! 

As for the last part, I think the vast majority of fans, outside of this forum, would have welcomed Portnoy back at any time. And still would. All over Facebook , YouTube and Reddit you still see all of the “bring back MP” or “the good ol’ days with MP”  comments abound.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »

I was definitely one of those people that thought it was a good move for the band to go without him. I wasn’t a big fan of SC and BC&SL (at the time) and like you said, I blamed Mike. I felt ADTOE was a return to form, and I thought the band was headed in a better direction.  Looking back now, there is something missing since he’s been gone. I’ve mentioned before that it took several albums for me to notice it. Portnoy was constantly pushing to try new things and find inspiration in other places. It started to cause some unbalanced albums. The last three with him were “peaks and valleys” types but man were the peaks fucking huge! 

As for the last part, I think the vast majority of fans, outside of this forum, would have welcomed Portnoy back at any time. And still would. All over Facebook , YouTube and Reddit you still see all of the “bring back MP” or “the good ol’ days with MP”  comments abound.

Was The Astonishing period really that dark? Divisive, sure. But for me that hated the album, the only thing dark was that I started to ponder if I'd still be a fan if they did another album like that.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2023, 02:36:58 PM »
After hearing The Gift of Music, The Astonishing was the first album since becoming a fan in 2000 that I didn’t buy on release day.  It was probably a month after it came out that I heard the whole thing.  It took multiple listens to get through.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
After hearing The Gift of Music, The Astonishing was the first album since becoming a fan in 2000 that I didn’t buy on release day.  It was probably a month after it came out that I heard the whole thing.  It took multiple listens to get through.

Huh..
I feel like The Gift Of Music perfectly encapsulates what Dream Theater is in 4 minutes.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2023, 03:00:24 PM »

Huh..
I feel like The Gift Of Music perfectly encapsulates what Dream Theater is in 4 minutes.

It’s okay. By then I was burnt out on the self-titled album, and when I heard The Gift of Music, it just sounded like more of the same. And all of the storyline stuff that was coming out online seemed so cheesy and unoriginal. There was nothing appealing about it and I only went and bought it out of loyalty.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2023, 03:11:05 PM »

Huh..

It’s okay. By then I was burnt out on the self-titled album, and when I heard The Gift of Music, it just sounded like more of the same. And all of the storyline stuff that was coming out online seemed so cheesy and unoriginal. There was nothing appealing about it and I only went and bought it out of loyalty.

I found The Gift Of Music on its own remarkably refreshing after DT12. The story is cheesy but it didn't bother me too much. There's a lot to chew on, even too much to chew on, with The Astonishing.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »

Huh..

I found The Gift Of Music on its own remarkably refreshing after DT12. The story is cheesy but it didn't bother me too much. There's a lot to chew on, even too much to chew on, with The Astonishing.

I’m glad you liked it. Different strokes.
Can't we find the minds